Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use 4L a lot when hitching and running up on leveling devices. Gives much more precise throttle control.
Especially on uphill and uneven ground situations. Of course there is also the slick grass/mud situations.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post

I would ask a similar question on 4 WD - how many times have you needed it in the past year? In our 10,000 miles - never. Why buy a heavier drive system if you don’t need it. Some folks will need the extra traction when boondocking or in snow country, or on boat ramps, but most of my AS club friends use RV and state parks and do not need 4WD.
They don’t sell 2 wheel drive pickups in my part of the continent.
I use the 4x4 every time I back my truck in my inclined driveway in the winter.
Unloaded rear wheel drive pickups are among the worst winter driving vehicles on the market. I have also used the 4x4 when boondocking with our AS on beaches.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
I once had to use 4WD pulling out of a muddy incline in a KOA campground. In my opinion it’s already worth the cost to not have had to deal with that situation without 4WD.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparris View Post
I once had to use 4WD pulling out of a muddy incline in a KOA campground. In my opinion it’s already worth the cost to not have had to deal with that situation without 4WD.
You just reminded me...One year in Marion, NC for Alumalina (or maybe Region 3) it rained like crazy. When it was time to pull out, the place was a mud hole. 4WD came in real handy then. For me, I won’t buy a truck without 4WD.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I also agree with 4WD, which I now have. In 6 years of camping we have been at 3 different places where I should have had it. In all 3 cases, I managed to get out of rain-soaked ground using my Lego leveling blocks. That was when I had 2WD 1/2 ton. Since I have had my 4WD 3/4 ton, of course, I have not needed the 4WD for camping. It did come in handy for one day of 4-6 inches of snow. In Eastern NC, they have no plows. We simply wait for it to melt.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How often have we used 4x4 in the last 12 months? Probably two dozen times. How often have we used it when towing? About 6 times (once for about 10 miles). How often has it been vital to have? Probably three or four times in the last 12 months.

Engine braking is a fine thing. we use it all the time on the truck, when. towing or not when towing. It does a fine job. No need to get a diesel to have engine braking that works.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I live in WI. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 2 WD pickup. I don’t even think dealers stock them here. Our last camp outing I needed 4WD low to back up into our camps site. I had to back up on gravel hill. 2WD was slipping and sputtering. I stopped put it in 4WD low and had no problem.

My pickup (F150) does not have an automatic 4WD sensor when slippage. So from time to time I drive in 2WD. Many times I would not have been able to get out of my drive in the winter time with 2WD. Pickups are so light in the back. My wife’s front wheel drive Pacifica is better in snow then. But it’s wonderful to drive in the snow with 4WD. I do it all the time in the winter. Can’t tell you how many driveways I needed it to get out. Any kind of icy slope at all will give 2WD pickups a problem.

I suppose if you put 1000lbs of salt bags in the back you’d be fine in the winter
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #68

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The exhaust brake is another tool that makes life easier when pulling a trailer.Saves on premature transmission failure and brake wear.I have used it many times on my last 3 tow vehicles.It comes in handy,not just in the mountains.Reduces stress
Exhaust brakes are great for reducing brake wear, but I'm not sure why you think it would have any transmission benefit. After all, the braking force you're producing with the engine has to go through the transmission, so if there's a difference in transmission longevity for using the exhaust brake, it's not going to be a positive one.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Can second the Ram recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Ok. So you are taking long trips. In that case I can see a 3/4 ton.

I would consider the Ram 2500 especially with airbags. Ram seems to have more features than Ford does when you compare the XLT to the Big Horn. The Big Horn trucks seem to be really well equipped. The 6.4 liter hemi puts out 410 horsepower, has an 8 speed transmission, MDS, and 429lbs of torque. Over 3000lbs of payload.

Also the interior of the Dodge Ram gets rave reviews from TFL trucks. I haven’t driven one, but when I retire and possibly go on longer trips it’s one truck I would seriously consider based upon the reviews. Ram has really stepped up their game.
Daquenzer, we just returned from a 2,500 mile trip to Colorado in our 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. They put the 8 speed automatic in the ‘19 and it’s a great combination with the torque of the 6.4. In fact, after a gas stop I forgot to turn on Tow-Haul mode and the mileage went from 10 to 13. Turns out the trans shifted into 8th gear and occasionally the Eco (4 cyl) mode would engage.

Plenty of power in the mountains and it used engine braking on the downhills. Definitely consider the Safety Package (Adaptive Cruise/Autonomous Braking) and the Tow Technology Package (360 degree cameras), power folding mirrors.

The interior is a highlight with the 12” screen for Nav and very quite. We had several 10 hour travel days and never felt uncomfortable during the trip. Highly recommend considering a test drive as a comparison!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27A5B900-46E9-49D4-AADA-1BBE62F840AB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	350542   Click image for larger version

Name:	2A782230-EA5F-4FDF-86FB-E871071BFCD2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	350543  

Name:	92C3A4F8-7851-4DD0-9124-E44AD9A09F7E.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	350544  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Savannah , Georgia
OP here-
Is it possible to have cloth seats with dual control air in an F250? I will go up in trim to Lariat if necessary, but do not want leather seats. I recall reading somewhere that the 2020 XLTs might include dual control a/c. Has anyone else heard this?
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Daquenzer, we just returned from a 2,500 mile trip to Colorado in our 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. They put the 8 speed automatic in the ‘19 and it’s a great combination with the torque of the 6.4. In fact, after a gas stop I forgot to turn on Tow-Haul mode and the mileage went from 10 to 13. Turns out the trans shifted into 8th gear and occasionally the Eco (4 cyl) mode would engage.

Plenty of power in the mountains and it used engine braking on the downhills. Definitely consider the Safety Package (Adaptive Cruise/Autonomous Braking) and the Tow Technology Package (360 degree cameras), power folding mirrors.

The interior is a highlight with the 12” screen for Nav and very quite. We had several 10 hour travel days and never felt uncomfortable during the trip. Highly recommend considering a test drive as a comparison!
Thanks for the response, information, and suggestions. My F150 with the roadmaster suspension system does really well for now. But for those longer trips when retired I’m going to need a little heftier truck with the payload. Do you have the airbags in the rear of the RAM?

Big issue for my wife is that riding in the pickup gives her headaches. The new suspension addition in the F150 made a big difference and she didn’t get a migraine. We just had to stop every 2 hours for about 15 minutes.

So quality of ride is a big issue. But the fact you had 10 hour travel days and never felt uncomfortable is significant.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lenexa , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
FWIW we ended up going with a F350 Platinum as it was only slightly more than the 250 version and have all the goodies including massaging seats [emoji41]. Payload is not an issue and the ride is about the same (we couldn’t tell the difference)
Same for us, we got a F350 Platinum back in February of this year! We debated between the 350 and 250 and couldn't tell any difference in ride quality between the two (we drove our dealer crazy with our multiple back and forth driving tests), so in the end we opted for the higher payload of the 350. We had a Tundra Platinum before this and, even though the Tundra certainly was no slouch and capable of towing even up and down the I-70 mountain passes, the difference while towing is pretty amazing. I will say that the Tundra was slightly easier to back in the trailer given the shorter length, but only by a small margin.
ctaulborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #73
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I went for a second look at a F250 XL gas model and brought the Mrs along. She noticed two important omissions; no sliding rear window but most importantly, no a/c vents in the rear. That was a deal breaker. Especially in the 100 degree Georgia heat. For kicks we looked at upper trim lines which have rear vents, but we lose the middle front seat, gain carpet, and other bling which we are not interested in. More importantly, the bling costs us 900# of payload.
Then went to GMC dealer who only had upper trim line diesels on the lot. Even these $60k+ trucks did not have rear a/c vents. We looked at a 2018 Ram 2500 Larame with 25k miles on the lot which had small rear vents, 2 12V outlets, a 150W 115V plug, and no tow mirror (as well as more chrome than I like.) The seats were not as comfortable as the Ford.
We would buy the F250 XL if it had the rear vents. Any reason why manufacturers of these full size trucks with crew cabs can not provide cooling similar to what we have in our Yukon?
I’ve a gas ‘17 F150 XLT with rear vents, sliding rear window (electric of course), full tow pkg, etc
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
OP here-
Is it possible to have cloth seats with dual control air in an F250? I will go up in trim to Lariat if necessary, but do not want leather seats. I recall reading somewhere that the 2020 XLTs might include dual control a/c. Has anyone else heard this?
You can typically order your Lariat as you wish, with most everything they have available including rear AC vents, controls, sliding rear window, etc.....even the seats. You will not get seats with AC or heat with fabric, however. Not sure why you don't want leather; they wear better from our experience and with the AC and heat are very nice.... (I even have massaging seats now in my King Ranch model!) Don't skimp on the stuff you think you will want...you will always be kicking yourself for not getting it equipped with those things...not fun to be kicking yourself...especially when driving!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
Tv

I tow our 25FB Twin with my F250 diesel. I actually have an F150 that my son drives so I have access to both. I drove the F150 for years before getting the F250 then handed it down to him.
Did I purchase the F250 to tow my 25FB? Nope
I purchased my F250 so that I could pull my tractors around and my 14k dump trailer.
After towing my boat and other things in the 4-6k lbs range with both trucks, I can absolutely say that towing anything with the F250 is so much less stressful. You know trailers are behind the F150 and they effect the ride, control, braking, etc so much more than they do with the F250. If I hadn't bought the F250 I would probably be fine towing my 25FB with the F150 because I wouldn't know how much better it can be.
Just my 2 cents.
95TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Thanks for the response, information, and suggestions. My F150 with the roadmaster suspension system does really well for now. But for those longer trips when retired I’m going to need a little heftier truck with the payload. Do you have the airbags in the rear of the RAM?

Big issue for my wife is that riding in the pickup gives her headaches. The new suspension addition in the F150 made a big difference and she didn’t get a migraine. We just had to stop every 2 hours for about 15 minutes.

So quality of ride is a big issue. But the fact you had 10 hour travel days and never felt uncomfortable is significant.
We do not have the air suspension BUT the Ram 2500 has rear coils standard which makes for a comfortable ride even when empty. Our Laramie came with 8-way power driver and passenger seats, heated and ventilated which are very comfortable. Also, for ‘19 the cabin has active noise cancellation and vibration dampening. It’s the most quite vehicle I’ve had; even more than our luxury VW Touareg.

The DW has a bad back and did not complain once about it during the trip. If you have a local dealer go sit in one / take it for a spin. Even if you’re not ready to buy you’ll have an idea what it’s like!

Take care,
Jeff & Caryle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8DA0EC73-C75B-4AE4-9DD2-D5645DFEAD54.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	350738  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
Quote:
OP here-
XLTs can come with heated cloth seats, but not dual climate control. I have not seen if the 2020 will come with that or not. I think Ford really needs to in their trucks. All of their competition in this price group comes with dual climate.

We recently bought a 2018 f250 lariat, 6.2 with 20k miles on it, 3116 payload, for $44k before trade already with LineX, bed cover, and weathertechs included. You can get an upgraded truck with features, and let someone else pay the depreciation. Ford SD rarely have good deals on them with big discounts like ram/gm sometimes do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190712_151132534_HDR.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	350786  
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUboy View Post
XLTs can come with heated cloth seats, but not dual climate control. I have not seen if the 2020 will come with that or not. I think Ford really needs to in their trucks. All of their competition in this price group comes with dual climate.

We recently bought a 2018 f250 lariat, 6.2 with 20k miles on it, 3116 payload, for $44k before trade already with LineX, bed cover, and weathertechs included. You can get an upgraded truck with features, and let someone else pay the depreciation. Ford SD rarely have good deals on them with big discounts like ram/gm sometimes do.
We are going to lots today to figure out exactly what we want. We are leaning towards the 6.2L Lariat. Depending on the subjective comfort of the leather seats, we might use seat covers or order one with cloth from the factory.
I came across a 2017 Lariat with <10k miles for 45k. Seems like something to seriously consider, however it is on a lot 2 hours away and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I don't think there is a significant difference between the 2017 and 2019 Lariats- Am I missing something?
Lastly, I have not seen anything in the 2020s to make me want to wait for them. My AS is a 25FC which is easily towed with the capability of the 6.2L. Am I missing anything?
Thanks
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #79
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The 360 cameras/ trailer TPMS and BLIS are nice when towing a trailer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #80
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Highly recommend using “building your own ride” on Ford.com before visiting lots to beware of all the options and what is included in some packages like the basic and supreme (not correct titles), but basic is about $1,000 and supreme is over $3,000. I am the guy that has 3500 payload and ordered an F250 Lariat. I am currently at the Top of Georgia Labor Day Rally (91 AS’s are participating this weekend!!) and everyone loves our tan leather seats. ALL the folks that have ridden with us LOVE the cooled seats and the comfort of them. Our 2WD has 18 inch Continental Tires, which is the size we wanted, but not the brand. The dealer could not change to Michelin’s for us. It is $9 more for these tires to purchase Michelins, so I thought Discount Tire might exchange for a reasonable fee. They wanted $830 and the tires on my new truck that had only 31 miles on them at the time. All I saw on F250’s at the lot were Michelins. Turns out if you order 20 inch tires, you will probably get Michelin’s. Also LED lights are over $1,000, BLISS, smart cruise, lane departure warning all add over $1,000 to the purchase price. Lariat comes standard with an upgraded sound system that we love. Sticker on ours was $52K, Purchase $46K, plus we have a limited lifetime warranty on the engine and transmission. Nice peace of mind. I read the warranty before signing for the new car and it is easy to meet the conditions, which are maintenance at a certified mechanic on the regular schedule per the manual.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote