Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
Hmmmm. Do the majority of 250/2500 owners feel that exhaust braking is necessary, or that its only another level of "insurance" against brake system failure on long steep inclines? (thinking western Rockies vs Blue Ridge Pkwy)
Having "only another level" of insurance against brake failure is a pretty big deal IMHO. Exhaust/engine braking helps keep brake temps down, reduces brake fade, extends brake life, and improves trailer control. I use it all the time. In the F250 it's automatically engaged when tow haul mode is selected and can also be engaged separate from tow haul with the push of a button.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I went for a second look at a F250 XL gas model and brought the Mrs along. She noticed two important omissions; no sliding rear window but most importantly, no a/c vents in the rear. That was a deal breaker. Especially in the 100 degree Georgia heat. For kicks we looked at upper trim lines which have rear vents, but we lose the middle front seat, gain carpet, and other bling which we are not interested in. More importantly, the bling costs us 900# of payload.
Then went to GMC dealer who only had upper trim line diesels on the lot. Even these $60k+ trucks did not have rear a/c vents. We looked at a 2018 Ram 2500 Larame with 25k miles on the lot which had small rear vents, 2 12V outlets, a 150W 115V plug, and no tow mirror (as well as more chrome than I like.) The seats were not as comfortable as the Ford.
We would buy the F250 XL if it had the rear vents. Any reason why manufacturers of these full size trucks with crew cabs can not provide cooling similar to what we have in our Yukon?
XL trim is very basic. No luxuries at all. XLT or up has luxuries.

Yukon is a SUV, not a pickup truck to compare with.

I love to go Ford sight seeing... usually in the country, more trucks on the lot than in the city.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Nissan Titan XD

You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now that in the past because of competition, so any one you pick will be perfectly fine.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD 5.O CUMMINS DIESEL.
Also available in GAS VERSION.
5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
3/4 ton Pick up
555 torque
6 speed Aisian transmission

2080 payload
12,300 pound tow
Every convenience and option know to man.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.
I drive the XD Gas version with the 7 speed transmission. More than adequate for my 23ft. Safari. It is heavy and will be the perfect truck for any Airstream.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Have you noticed, yet, that everyone loves his/her brand of truck?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
I am concerned about the decreased payload of the upper trim lines. If you do not mind, what is the Lariat payload?
Thank you
3188 lbs.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Take a look at CarMax. I was able to shop 3/4 tons all over the country from my laptop, and landed a nice Silverado with a good deal/low miles.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hmmmm. Do the majority of 250/2500 owners feel that exhaust braking is necessary, or that its only another level of "insurance" against brake system failure on long steep inclines? (thinking western Rockies vs Blue Ridge Pkwy)
These trailers aren’t heavy enough. Worthless, IOW, to pay for something not needed. What your combined rig needs is a TT with antilock disc brakes AND a tow vehicle as stable as the trailer. A pickup isn’t. Never will be.

What matters downgrade is:

1). Slow enough you can accelerate wide open throttle while

2). Simultaneously have slammed the Trailer Brake Control to maximum.

The panties-in-a-wad crew (not a majority you want to ask) ignore that there is no more vulnerable situation than a mountain downgrade as the trailer is ALWAYS trying to pass the Tow Vehicle.

- One gust of wind out of the pass . .

- An ordinary box truck or semi comes too close . . .

And it WILL turn over such a poor TV choice as the trailer comes around. In a pickup, especially with 4WD, you won’t feel it until it’s too late. (You won't have two second reaction time).

There’s not a pass or extended downgrade ANYWHERE in this country where slowing down to a speed that’s responsible will in any manner change your day. No, you won’t be at 40-mph on the steeper ones. You may be below 30. So what? You’ll rightfully be concerned about fitting in with other truck lane traffic keeping that space to accelerate out ahead.

Practice. Be the man they aren’t.

It’s first a balance of monitoring who’s out ahead, and who’s coming hard downslope. Trucks, not cars. And then slamming the controls. See how it feels.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
OK and this is a clip from Turbo Diesel Register about the Nissan Cummins being abandoned.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...option.267323/

"An article at The Truth About Cars reveals that the Cummins 5.0-liter diesel engine variant of the Nissan Titan will cease to be built by December 2019.

"Far from being the first choice among full-size truck buyers, the Nissan Titan and Titan XD are at least earning attention from their builders — and the latest alteration will earn a chorus of boos from those who worship at the altar of all things Cummins.

With a refreshed lineup on the way, Nissan has confirmed that the 5.0-liter diesel V8 available in the nearly-three-quarter-ton Titan XD will disappear by the end of the year."

Not saying it's a bad truck, no clue never driven one.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I can't recommend our TV, they are no longer available as a TV...we got the last one.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
I got tired of looking on Ford dealer lots at basically nothing but diesel trucks. I don’t put enough miles a year (50,000 min. a year) to warrant the extra cost of a diesel. I got on the Ford site, built the gas(V10) dually, 4:30 rear gear, XLT package. Got the MSRP and started dealing with a number of dealers some 200 miles away. All on line. I got one to order the truck I wanted, the color I wanted at 20percent below MSRP. It’s probably the best truck I have ever owned. Pulled a 5th wheel from coast to coast with no problems and passed a number of diesels

How your mileage with that v-10 Palerider?

I have one in an e-350 that is bulletproof, but pretty thirsty !

Still a very low maintenance motor, but easily serviceable when it does need it.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
OK and this is a clip from Turbo Diesel Register about the Nissan Cummins being abandoned.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...option.267323/

"An article at The Truth About Cars reveals that the Cummins 5.0-liter diesel engine variant of the Nissan Titan will cease to be built by December 2019.

"Far from being the first choice among full-size truck buyers, the Nissan Titan and Titan XD are at least earning attention from their builders — and the latest alteration will earn a chorus of boos from those who worship at the altar of all things Cummins.

With a refreshed lineup on the way, Nissan has confirmed that the 5.0-liter diesel V8 available in the nearly-three-quarter-ton Titan XD will disappear by the end of the year."

Not saying it's a bad truck, no clue never driven one.
There is a lot of chatter about problems with the diesel version of this truck....plus I just don't think the American public will ever view import trucks as heavy duty hauling trucks, regardless of their ability......

I heard, from some guys "in the know", that long term, the diesel engines in trucks were going to be phased out, and that gas was the future....It is just cheaper and easier to build and warranty gas engines.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
I Have an F-250 Supercab. Lariat edition, 6.7 diesel. Long downhills are no problem.
I set cruise control and the truck takes care of the rest. NO WHITE KNUCKLE EXPERIENCE. Might, I say might, have to touch the brake 1 time in miles. yes it is an additional feature (at great expense)
, that adds an additional layer of safety. I think that the additional weight
of the diesel truck may add a degree of stability. Never experience sway of any kind. Equalizer Hitch.
2300 lb payload. Wife and I weigh 300 lbs together. 1000 lbs for the tongue weight, and it still leaves me with 1000 payload. The only thing I would do different is make it a F-350, that way I could have taken a side by side ATV with me on vacation. Didn't think about that at the time.
Yes, exhaust braking is a nice feature to have. Is it necessary? Probably not. But definitely a nice feature to have. If you want more payload go with a 350 instead.
LOVE MY FORD !
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
I went for a second look at a F250 XL gas model and brought the Mrs along. She noticed two important omissions; no sliding rear window but most importantly, no a/c vents in the rear. That was a deal breaker. Especially in the 100 degree Georgia heat. For kicks we looked at upper trim lines which have rear vents, but we lose the middle front seat, gain carpet, and other bling which we are not interested in. More importantly, the bling costs us 900# of payload.
Then went to GMC dealer who only had upper trim line diesels on the lot. Even these $60k+ trucks did not have rear a/c vents. We looked at a 2018 Ram 2500 Larame with 25k miles on the lot which had small rear vents, 2 12V outlets, a 150W 115V plug, and no tow mirror (as well as more chrome than I like.) The seats were not as comfortable as the Ford.
We would buy the F250 XL if it had the rear vents. Any reason why manufacturers of these full size trucks with crew cabs can not provide cooling similar to what we have in our Yukon?
Why do you want an F250 to pull a 25’? You should try looking at the Max Tow Truck of the F150. I tow my 28’ with an F150 with absolutely no problem. I did put Roadmaster suspension kit in which gives a great deal of stability and the truck rides great.

Also you should look at the GMC with a 6.2 liter engine in a 1/2 ton. Towing beast.

In fact if you want a diesel I would look at the Dodge Ram 1500. Gets 14mpg pulling. I heard that the new 2020’s can pull 12,000lbs.

The only reason to go to an F250 is if you are towing a great deal of the time and you are carrying lots of extra stuff like kayaks, etc. or you are out traveling months and not a few weeks here and there.

Plus the nice 1/2 tons ride better when not towing, get better mpgs, and are much easier to get in an out of. 3/4 tons are about 8 inches higher to get into.

And the only reason to get a big diesel is if you tow most of the time in the mountains and you want that engine brake for easier traveling. Otherwise it’s overkill IMHO.

1. How much are you going to tow?
2. Where are you going to tow?

Now if you were towing a 30’ then that might be a different story.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Have to agree with comments in last 2 posts; if your only pulling a 25, a 1/2T properly equipped should be fine. I had a new 2012 Platinum F150 4x4 Echoboost that I pulled 2 different 25' AS's for 125K miles with, and had virtually no issues, other then Payload...(prior to aluminum body). With my new 28', I test drove all of the Mfg's 1/2T's and ended up getting an F250 Diesel; my wife influenced my thinking...but with the 25', the 1/2T F150 EB worked well. I would get it again if I can convince her to go back to a 25'! (Don't tell her I am thinking this way, please!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Savannah , Georgia
Our last weight as we returned from a 4000 mile trip including Colorado, showed our properly equipped Yukon XL with too much payload. The TV GVWR is 7500, yet we had 7960#. All of that excess was on the rear axle. That is why we are looking. Interestingly, we did not think we packed heavily.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #36
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
We just transitioned from our beloved F150 with 1400 lbs payload to a 2019 F250 with 3500 lb payload. It is a 2 wheel Drive gasser crew cab, Lariat model. It was about $2,000 over an XLT. No more push from semis. Wife now drives since the white knuckle experience does not exist. Most owners of Chevy, GMC, Ram, Titan and Tundra love them. You must decide which brand you like. 3/4 ton makes towing our 26 foot and 34 foot AS easier. OP is already aware of rear axle limitations. My 1/2 ton was over rear axle weight by a couple hundred pounds. Diesels are great for towing but not as daily drivers as attested to by many posters on this forum. Diesels also cost over $9K to purchase, higher cost per gallon, maintenance is also very high. My friends 2018 F250 King Ranch diesel, max tow has a payload Of 1,950 lbs. his 200 lb topper reduces that number to 1,750 lbs.
Check OEM build my ride to see you hat various trim levels provide
Have fun looking for your next TV!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Our last weight as we returned from a 4000 mile trip including Colorado, showed our properly equipped Yukon XL with too much payload. The TV GVWR is 7500, yet we had 7960#. All of that excess was on the rear axle. That is why we are looking. Interestingly, we did not think we packed heavily.
Ok. So you are taking long trips. In that case I can see a 3/4 ton.

I would consider the Ram 2500 especially with airbags. Ram seems to have more features than Ford does when you compare the XLT to the Big Horn. The Big Horn trucks seem to be really well equipped. The 6.4 liter hemi puts out 410 horsepower, has an 8 speed transmission, MDS, and 429lbs of torque. Over 3000lbs of payload.

Also the interior of the Dodge Ram gets rave reviews from TFL trucks. I haven’t driven one, but when I retire and possibly go on longer trips it’s one truck I would seriously consider based upon the reviews. Ram has really stepped up their game.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
From what I understand, this vehicle (which I considered purchasing), will no longer be manufactured:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-diesel-dead/
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Titan XD lives on but the Cummins diesel option ends with the 2020 model year. I have a 2016 and It is almost the perfect tow vehicle for my circumstances. I understand that, since it will be an orphan soon, you can get a great deal on a new one. Nissan never marketed the truck aggressively and never sold enough to make the extra expense of training diesel mechanics and equipping dealerships with the heavy duty infrastructure to make it viable.

The 5.0 liter powerplant is used in many applications so engine parts support shouldn't be a problem. The rest of the vehicle will continue in the lineup with the gasoline engine so body/frame and interior parts should be readily available.

Mine has been perfect (knock on wood). Routine maintenance and a $52 a/c blend door actuator... If I didn't have but 52000 miles on it, I would swap it for a 2020 model.

The gasoline engine, which is a tweaked version of the 5.6 liter that powered the first generation Titans, is powerful and reliable but a gas hog. I had a 2004 Titan with the earlier version of the engine and when I traded it in 218,000 miles after buying it new, everything worked but the CD player. It was the most reliable, cheapest to maintain vehicle I have ever owned but it got about 10 mpg towing. With a 26 gallon fuel tank, I spent a lot of time in gas stations...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

I think you will find that few of us currently tow with more than one brand People tend to either like or hate what they have. Trucks are easy enough to trade in that hate quickly turns into "gone".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote