Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Haul Gauge App...Get weights without going to the CAT scales.

https://www.haulgauge.com/

So this is an app you can buy for your phone with something you plug into your vehicle diagnostics. It will give the weights on your TV.

Anyone ever use something like this? This would surely give real time data if it works.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
https://www.haulgauge.com/

So this is an app you can buy for your phone with something you plug into your vehicle diagnostics. It will give the weights on your TV.

Anyone ever use something like this? This would surely give real time data if it works.
I bought it and tested it. Not real accurate. To test it, I set it up exactly as directed, and calibrated the truck weight with the tailgate open. After calibrating it, I sat on the tailgate, and it told me I had added 400#. I weigh 240#. As long as you remember that this is ONLY an estimate, you will be OK with it.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I bought it and tested it. Not real accurate. To test it, I set it up exactly as directed, and calibrated the truck weight with the tailgate open. After calibrating it, I sat on the tailgate, and it told me I had added 400#. I weigh 240#. As long as you remember that this is ONLY an estimate, you will be OK with it.
Not very close estimate. Unless you are heavier than you think
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Thanks for the tip ... saved us some bucks !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Could there be a slight leverage effect from sitting on the tailgate rather than in the bed, the tailgate extends well beyond the axles?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Probably some, but 66% over?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:

Is this perhaps an issue of static vs dynamic calculations?
Have you tried it while driving (with another load, not you on the tailgate)
It apparently would not work with the active air suspension of my RAM 1500, as it uses pitch for the calculations. I’ve wondered why payload and tongue weight are not measured / calculated in modern computerized trucks, as payload is a critical safety factor.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What's built into your TV is not designed to replace a weigh scale. What's available is not going to tell you what you want to know:

1) What's on the front axle of the TV

2) What's on the rear axle of the TV

3) What's on the axle(s) of the trailer.

4) How much they all changed when you hooked up

The numbers above are what the CAT scale gives you. The app is not even going to come close to all that information. No that's not to say that you *need* the CAT scale stuff every day before you pull out, only that the app doesn't replace the CAT scale.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Personally I have found the Haulgauge app to work quite well ... I use it before every trip to make sure that I stay within my payload rating. Works for me
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Works great for me too. The "sit on the tailgate" bit is apparently either an old technique or one for TV's that are not in the data base. For me it gave me my TV's weight empty, weight with payload, tongue weight, and trailer weight. It can also do weight distribution but I haven't tried it yet. FWIW it pretty accurately told me what the added weight of my wife is. But don't tell her that.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

What's built into your TV is not designed to replace a weigh scale. What's available is not going to tell you what you want to know:

1) What's on the front axle of the TV

2) What's on the rear axle of the TV

3) What's on the axle(s) of the trailer.

4) How much they all changed when you hooked up

The numbers above are what the CAT scale gives you. The app is not even going to come close to all that information. No that's not to say that you *need* the CAT scale stuff every day before you pull out, only that the app doesn't replace the CAT scale.

Bob

Right, Bob.

Yet the vehicle computes load (pressure in air suspension?) and disables selection of ‘OFF ROAD II’ height when the trailer is on the ball (not a lockout from the electrical connecter). Strain gauges in the suspension would not be an impossible technical leap in a high end towing package.

I have measurements of all of the items that you list, from using a set of four high accuracy automotive scales to weigh the trailer. The variable load that I put in the truck bed remains an estimate, although I use a spreadsheet with the weights of my larger camping items to improve that estimate.

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote