Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
nnn
1 Rivet Member
 
davie , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Hands Free Towing

Hey guys - getting closer to buying our Airstream and tow vehicle...

Have a Tesla X now and cant imagine being without autopilot - especially when towing long distances.

It appears GM Supercruise is the only option out there right now - or am I missing something ?

Anyone towing with this system ?

Considering a Denali SUV with the 3.0 Duramax

Thanks

NNN
nnn is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Hey guys - getting closer to buying our Airstream and tow vehicle...

Have a Tesla X now and cant imagine being without autopilot - especially when towing long distances.

It appears GM Supercruise is the only option out there right now - or am I missing something ?

Anyone towing with this system ?

Considering a Denali SUV with the 3.0 Duramax

Thanks

NNN
Not sure why you want "autopilot" while towing, but understand the attraction in the current GM commercial and comparison to Tesla? First, decide which size AS your wanting and determine if the SUV your looking at can handle it the within specs. Good luck!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Silvr_Bullet's Avatar

 
2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,798
Isn’t there on going problems with this Auto Pilot function. Don t be led down the golden path even a Auto Pilot in an aircraft is ‘monitored’ by the pilot .
Silvr_Bullet is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:50 AM   #4
nnn
1 Rivet Member
 
davie , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
nnn is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure why you want "autopilot" while towing, but understand the attraction in the current GM commercial and comparison to Tesla? First, decide which size AS your wanting and determine if the SUV your looking at can handle it the within specs. Good luck!
The word "autopilot" can be triggering to some, due to the connotations relating to aircraft, but with a Tesla it is just dynamic cruise control (including slowing to a full stop, and accelerating) plus automatic lane keeping. Those features have provided demonstrable and significant safety improvements if we look at crash statistics.

We wouldn't be without it. These features make a lot of sense for long road trips.

GM has expanded their Supercruise offering to 1500 pickups, it isn't just for SUVs. It does only work on specific roads.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
nnn
1 Rivet Member
 
davie , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure why you want "autopilot" while towing, but understand the attraction in the current GM commercial and comparison to Tesla? First, decide which size AS your wanting and determine if the SUV your looking at can handle it the within specs. Good luck!
self driving features are a game changer - nothing better than autopilot while cruising on the highway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Isn’t there on going problems with this Auto Pilot function. Don t be led down the golden path even a Auto Pilot in an aircraft is ‘monitored’ by the pilot .
no issues with autopilot - "full self driving" has serious problems...
nnn is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,754
Blog Entries: 1
How can anyone stay awake when on a long drive?
Autopilot is an invitation to doze off.
Mollysdad is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

 
2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 20,001
Images: 1
I use my 'auto pilot' a lot when towing 'Cloudsplitter'.

I married her 52 yrs ago.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
I’m done with ‘adulting’…Let’s go find Bigfoot.
ROBERT CROSS is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
nnn
1 Rivet Member
 
davie , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
How can anyone stay awake when on a long drive?
Autopilot is an invitation to doze off.
haven't dozed off yet .... driver still has to be monitoring and paying attention...

The best part is that you dont have to make those micro decisions with the steering wheel and the result is much less stress and fatigue ...
nnn is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The word "autopilot" can be triggering to some, due to the connotations relating to aircraft, but with a Tesla it is just dynamic cruise control (including slowing to a full stop, and accelerating) plus automatic lane keeping. Those features have provided demonstrable and significant safety improvements if we look at crash statistics.

We wouldn't be without it. These features make a lot of sense for long road trips.

GM has expanded their Supercruise offering to 1500 pickups, it isn't just for SUVs. It does only work on specific roads.
I have many years of flying experience using "autopilot"; it does not always preform as advertised in aircraft;...but I get what your saying. My son demonstrated in streets of Austin in his Tesla couple years ago, in traffic. Still, I would never drive without my feet/hands on control instruments.

I do have the "dynamic cruise and safety" features with my F250 with lane and distance safety features engaged while driving/towing including when cruise control engaged, and I appreciate their value. They do make for a way more relaxed drive while towing, especially with my auto engine brake engaged in the mountains.

The commercials give some the "impression" it's all automatic now days with these new features...But, there are some "troubling" instances over past few years of crashes while in these modes. It will be interesting to see well these are adopted going forward for TV's.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Silvr_Bullet's Avatar

 
2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,798
These safety features are great advancements, EXCEPT, the driver should be the first to react to a encroachment upon another vehicle etc. vice versa not so much, doesn’t replace the driver.
Silvr_Bullet is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The word "autopilot" can be triggering to some, due to the connotations relating to aircraft, but with a Tesla it is just dynamic cruise control (including slowing to a full stop, and accelerating) plus automatic lane keeping. Those features have provided demonstrable and significant safety improvements if we look at crash statistics.

We wouldn't be without it. These features make a lot of sense for long road trips.

GM has expanded their Supercruise offering to 1500 pickups, it isn't just for SUVs. It does only work on specific roads.
If that's all it is, most new cars offer that, at least as an option. My new defender has adaptive cruise control including stop and go with adjustable distances and auto lane keeping. I use the adaptive cruise when towing (or anytime I'm on the highway, really) but the lane keeping just keeps it in the lane, not centered. I think autopilot and supercruise do a bit more, but I wouldn't trust them towing as they don't account for a trailer in their movements and could do things to induce sway.
bobzdar is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 783
I do not like lane keeping, but I do use adaptive cruise control on our F250. That, for me, is sufficient. I do not recall what levels of automation are even available on our Ford (I set them all how I wanted when it was new and keep them that way). I did turn off most of the guides in our Mercedes. What all does "autopilot" do for you?
DewTheDew is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
self driving features are a game changer - nothing better than autopilot while cruising on the highway ...



no issues with autopilot - "full self driving" has serious problems...
We had no interest in purchasing the "full self driving" option, but wouldn't be without autopilot. It is much safer IMO.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
How can anyone stay awake when on a long drive?
Autopilot is an invitation to doze off.
The same could be said of a stereo system.

I find the autopilot function that we have results in much less driver fatigue, so there is enhanced driver performance on a long trip, not reduced.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have many years of flying experience using "autopilot"; it does not always preform as advertised in aircraft;...but I get what your saying. My son demonstrated in streets of Austin in his Tesla couple years ago, in traffic. Still, I would never drive without my feet/hands on control instruments.

I do have the "dynamic cruise and safety" features with my F250 with lane and distance safety features engaged while driving/towing including when cruise control engaged, and I appreciate their value. They do make for a way more relaxed drive while towing, especially with my auto engine brake engaged in the mountains.

The commercials give some the "impression" it's all automatic now days with these new features...But, there are some "troubling" instances over past few years of crashes while in these modes. It will be interesting to see well these are adopted going forward for TV's.
Fully agree, and would stress that relating Tesla Autopilot to an aircraft autopilot is part of the problem.

We don't tend to use autopilot in traffic, as it doesn't recognize red lights. If you are second in line to approach a red light it will stop behind the car in front, no issue, but if you are the first to stop at a red light you have to do so yourself. We think of it as an open road safety feature, not for traffic

Commercials have been overselling things for a long time. Better to investigate and judge ourselves than rely on ad copy.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
These safety features are great advancements, EXCEPT, the driver should be the first to react to a encroachment upon another vehicle etc. vice versa not so much, doesn’t replace the driver.
The system we have is not designed to replace the driver, and doesn't claim to. It improves safety statistics by acting as a backup to the driver. It also logs the number of incidents where it intervened, so that you get a personal safety score. That score can be used for insurance discounts, and other features.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:45 PM   #18
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
If that's all it is, most new cars offer that, at least as an option. My new defender has adaptive cruise control including stop and go with adjustable distances and auto lane keeping. I use the adaptive cruise when towing (or anytime I'm on the highway, really) but the lane keeping just keeps it in the lane, not centered. I think autopilot and supercruise do a bit more, but I wouldn't trust them towing as they don't account for a trailer in their movements and could do things to induce sway.
The Tesla system turns itself off when you put it in towing mode. You don't have to use towing mode, you have the option.

Ours has adjustable following distances which can be easily shrunk or stretched based on driving conditions, and it only makes sense to increase the following distance when towing.

Ours maintains a central lane position. Our last SUV, not a Tesla, had lane keeping but it wasn't as precise, and didn't centre the vehicle. Also, it didn't start up again from a full stop.

We find that the corrections are so slight and continuous that we have less occasion to make a significant steering correction. I would think that would reduce the likelihood of a steering-induced sway event.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:51 PM   #19
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
I do not like lane keeping, but I do use adaptive cruise control on our F250. That, for me, is sufficient. I do not recall what levels of automation are even available on our Ford (I set them all how I wanted when it was new and keep them that way). I did turn off most of the guides in our Mercedes. What all does "autopilot" do for you?
Autopilot maintains speed, with smart slowing/stopping/resume based on adjustable following distances. It uses cameras. With a second click of the stalk it manages steering to maintain a central lane position. It uses surround cameras to watch for issues and has alerts/corrections.

It doesn't drive you to your camp site while you nap. These systems are driver aids, not fully autonomous systems

We find that it reduces driver fatigue, especially on long trips.

Tesla tracks and publishes crash statistics for all their vehicles, and reports on incidents with autopilot turned off, and turned on, and also compares that to standard NHTSA data. There is a significant step change in safety (reduced crashes) with the system, such that we expect some version of it to become mandatory for all vehicles at some point. In the interim, it can result in lower insurance rates.
jcl is offline  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Silvr_Bullet's Avatar

 
2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,798
Hands Free Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Autopilot maintains speed, with smart slowing/stopping/resume based on adjustable following distances. It uses cameras. With a second click of the stalk it manages steering to maintain a central lane position. It uses surround cameras to watch for issues and has alerts/corrections.



It doesn't drive you to your camp site while you nap. These systems are driver aids, not fully autonomous systems



We find that it reduces driver fatigue, especially on long trips.



Tesla tracks and publishes crash statistics for all their vehicles, and reports on incidents with autopilot turned off, and turned on, and also compares that to standard NHTSA data. There is a significant step change in safety (reduced crashes) with the system, such that we expect some version of it to become mandatory for all vehicles at some point. In the interim, it can result in lower insurance rates.


That’s great I would have to see who is analyzing and certifying the results of the statistics, as most know statistics are ripe for manipulation. ( no changes to post )
Silvr_Bullet is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free-Free-Free -- Twin Bed Setup - 1955 Flying Cloud Tx Air 1950-1955 Flying Cloud 9 03-14-2010 09:07 PM
Pair of eyes/hands near (Holly Ridge) Wilmington, NC? longdog Dollars & Cents 1 05-12-2009 04:48 PM
Free....Free... Free Happycampers Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 11-14-2005 05:54 PM
Hands on History ALANSD Airstream "In the News" 3 10-25-2003 09:51 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.