Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 01:04 PM   #21
nnn
1 Rivet Member

davie , Florida
anecdotal evidence is that I have yet to have crashed while using autopilot

btw for the skeptics (which I was before). you really should drive a vehicle with a good system (Tesla/GM) ... after a few days of trusting the vehicle its amazing

I drive 210 miles round trip to my boat every other week ... without AP I would be exhausted - with AP I arrive ready to go ...
Old 01-26-2023, 01:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My F-150 is enabled with “Bluecruise” which was just rated by Consumer Reports as the best all round level 2 automation.

It has “hands free” but that is disabled when towing, so the system still checks that you have hands on the wheel, but the steering assist, lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control remain active during towing.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Autopilot maintains speed, with smart slowing/stopping/resume based on adjustable following distances. It uses cameras. With a second click of the stalk it manages steering to maintain a central lane position. It uses surround cameras to watch for issues and has alerts/corrections.

It doesn't drive you to your camp site while you nap. These systems are driver aids, not fully autonomous systems

We find that it reduces driver fatigue, especially on long trips.

Tesla tracks and publishes crash statistics for all their vehicles, and reports on incidents with autopilot turned off, and turned on, and also compares that to standard NHTSA data. There is a significant step change in safety (reduced crashes) with the system, such that we expect some version of it to become mandatory for all vehicles at some point. In the interim, it can result in lower insurance rates.
That sounds like our Mercedes' system. I think the Ford has lane-keeping but can't recall because I know when I used in in our car I just don't like it (personal choice) so if it has it, I turned it off when we bought it three years ago. I do appreciate the smart cruise, however.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
That sounds like our Mercedes' system. I think the Ford has lane-keeping but can't recall because I know when I used in in our car I just don't like it (personal choice) so if it has it, I turned it off when we bought it three years ago. I do appreciate the smart cruise, however.
Think my lane keeping feature is now turned off also...used to vibrate 3 times when changing lanes or crossing the middle strips- annoying. With 150K miles now; overall the "auto" systems working fine and especially appreciate the auto engine brake when in cruise. I can't express how nice it is to engage "cruise control with auto engine brake" and distance detection set while towing the AS in the Rockies at 60-65mph in traffic. No white knuckle or concerns; with my feet off the gas, I cruise along with semis and traffic at safe distance, not having to adjust speed or hit the brakes. I would not want to include "hands free", IMHO. Way different then towing when I had my F150 Platinum towing my 25's, which I thought was nice also. The 6.7L diesel with these features is pretty sweet when towing!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #25
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Think my lane keeping feature is now turned off also...used to vibrate 3 times when changing lanes or crossing the middle strips- annoying. With 150K miles now; overall the "auto" systems working fine and especially appreciate the auto engine brake when in cruise. I can't express how nice it is to engage "cruise control with auto engine brake" and distance detection set while towing the AS in the Rockies at 60-65mph in traffic. No white knuckle or concerns; with my feet off the gas, I cruise along with semis and traffic at safe distance, not having to adjust speed or hit the brakes. I would not want to include "hands free", IMHO.
We had a lane keeping alert system on a previous vehicle, and it vibrated when crossing lane markers, but the solution was just to signal your lane change. No alert when signalling. And these systems are a big step below both emergency crash avoidance steering systems, and then up to systems where the vehicle is actually steering continuously.

With our vehicle the statistics show a four times reduction in crash frequency when autopilot is engaged vs turned off (for the same vehicle population and driver profiles). Since all Tesla vehicles are wirelessly connected, the data includes all Tesla vehicles and billions of miles. Some of that difference will be due to differences in the roads, as autopilot is more suited to other than city driving, but I wouldn’t want to give up the safety in any case.

It is an adjustment; I recall years ago manufacturers advised not using cruise control when towing, but the systems have improved a lot.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
anecdotal evidence is that I have yet to have crashed while using autopilot

btw for the skeptics (which I was before). you really should drive a vehicle with a good system (Tesla/GM) ... after a few days of trusting the vehicle its amazing

I drive 210 miles round trip to my boat every other week ... without AP I would be exhausted - with AP I arrive ready to go ...

No thanks....

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ECEC9CF-4D1E-4DA1-8202-B627DDC23D58_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	427587   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBBB65C7-49D1-4F1F-87DF-6DEA35B46398_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	427588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E700F5E-364A-4E5C-8E65-4609D3851C76_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	427589  
Old 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Autonomous towing - for those weekends your Airstream wants to go camping, but you don't?.......
Old 02-01-2023, 09:31 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
Quote:
Hey guys - getting closer to buying our Airstream and tow vehicle...

Have a Tesla X now and cant imagine being without autopilot - especially when towing long distances.

It appears GM Supercruise is the only option out there right now - or am I missing something ?

Anyone towing with this system ?

Considering a Denali SUV with the 3.0 Duramax

Thanks

NNN
The Super Cruise isn't available in a 1 ton truck so obviously you can't tow an airstream with that technology yet.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I am probably one of the youngest in here and I do love tech; however, I tend to tow with the same behaviors as when I am riding a motorcycle. I don’t like cruise control when towing.

With 5g and next iterations of communications and AI, I am sure the autopilot will surpass the human at some point, but I am not confident we are there yet. Those algorithms are going to need more data. Wind speed and direction, pavement temperature, trailer data of loading and weight and tire pressure and hitch set up. Trailer pitch and yaw. Ford is starting to measure trailer data with its yaw kit. In sum, I think a more automated towing is going to require a smarter trailer too.

I do think GMs Super Cruise is a more responsible approach than Tesla

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-super-cruise/

As far as fatigue, I think we should all be holding ourselves to reasonable towing distances no matter the tech advancements. 4-6 hour tows are my max and never without at least one stretch break.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:

Have a Tesla X now and cant imagine being without autopilot - especially when towing long distances.

It appears GM Supercruise is the only option out there right now - or am I missing something ?

Thanks

NNN
We drove our 2019 Audi Q7 as our tow vehicle when pulling our 23’ Globetrotter over 4500 miles throughout the US in 2021. We discontinued using the Audi’s lane control feature after it caused the Airstream to begin swaying back and forth. Be careful out there.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Autopilot is the beginning of creating drivers too incompetent to be driving, especially in inclement weather or a when sudden emergency occurs.

If one needs a vehicle to drive for them, then they should not be driving. Actively steering and monitoring traffic while using cruise control also has its dangerous limitations, even more so when towing. I'd be concerned with how a tow vehicle responds to striking road debris, icy patches potholes or other obstructions unseen by the distracted driver.

Autopilot seems like an invitation to increased driver inattention and a greater likelihood for increased distracted driving.

Driving is a full time, full concentration, hands-on activity. When actually driving the vehicle becomes secondary, safety goes out the window.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
I suggest that everyone read the following articles and keep an open mind in order to learn what to watch out for when driving ANY car with autopilot. The problem with Tesla's is that their system has been severely over-hyped by Musk so that owners often misunderstand how the system works. Today, the Justice Dept. opened an investigation into Tesla's system due to the over-hyping. And with a bit of searching one can find many instances of Tesla's crashing when on autopilot so just take this info and learn.
https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/...age-autopilot/
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/31/t...sultPosition=4
Be careful out there.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Questions

Not having a vehicle that has anything other than cruise control I know very little about what driving assist is like. Here are my questions.
When I am towing I feel confident in keeping my truck and trailer in the lane and I am able to watch for traffic that may be stopping in front of me. What gives me the most stress is that piece tractor trailer tire that suddenly pops up from under the semi in front of me. Similarly the road debris that is occasionally tossed from one lane to another when a vehicle in an adjacent lane strikes it. Even a small piece of wood that gets thrown up under the Airstream can cause damage to the underbelly, tanks and propane lines. Does the Driver assist handle these situations?

The other thing that I have personally had happen to me was a blow out on the trailer at highway speed. Fortunately I have a tandem axle trailer, heard the pop and was able to apply the appropriate braking to safely move to the shoulder of the road safely. Without direct input from the trailer to the tow vehicle how will the assisted driving know of these issues?

My 2020 Ram 2500 has a feature that is supposed to monitor vehicle sway and to adjust breaking as necessary to reduce it. That is great. I will continue to do everything I can from proper loading, tire inflation, proper speed, and use of weight distribution to insure that this does not happen.

If someone can send a highway sweeper in front of me to insure there are no junk in the road that would be greatly appreciated. Until then I will keep my eyes on the road.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Noooooooooooo

Unless your a Troll starting trouble

Yea, i got to see here in Florida the couple from Califorina DIE in there TESLA! AUTOPILOT that took them off the turnpike and followed the white lines into the center area rest stop decapitating them both as they were napping or playing Ipads while the Tesla rear ended a stopped Walmart Semi-

GM Ford Tesla I don’t care put you hands on the steering wheel you do not belong on the road next to us your gonna kill someone.

Quote:

Thanks

NNN
Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #35
Icy
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Sarnia , Ontario
Driving your Tesla X in autopilot with a trailer seem a little dangerous. Some of your sensors will be obstructed by your trailer, just like my tow vehicle is. But if you choose to please let us all know, so we can stay off the road that day. Just my opinion, having worked in the automotive electronics business.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
As a motorcyclist I just love it when I look over to see a passenger in the driver's seat watching a video on his phone. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like I'm about to die. Or somebody is.

Have fun.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Wouldn't do it if I could. When I get to the place I need my TV driving itself, I'll know it's time for me to park it.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
As a motorcyclist I just love it when I look over to see a passenger in the driver's seat watching a video on his phone. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like I'm about to die. Or somebody is.

Have fun.
Right!

If I could affect serious changes, I would make a two day motorcycle course and a one day trailer driving training mandatory for every abled person who wanted a driver’s license.

Oh, and to drive the class A diesel pushers one would have to have a CDL.

Oh, and I would make anyone living in a state with the 45th parallel or N or with a State/Fed Highway with an elevation higher than 4k feet have to have triple peak rated winter tires by law in the winter.

Ok done dreaming now.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Corvallis , Oregon
This reminds me of having a 40’ salmon troller, I was able to drive my boat back to port while taking a shower.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #40
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterHarte View Post
We drove our 2019 Audi Q7 as our tow vehicle when pulling our 23’ Globetrotter over 4500 miles throughout the US in 2021. We discontinued using the Audi’s lane control feature after it caused the Airstream to begin swaying back and forth. Be careful out there.
We haven't encountered any issues with sway, but I turn off the Active Lane Assist on our Q7 when towing our FC 27FB because it makes it harder to feel if or how the trailer is being affected by wind etc. But the Adaptive Cruise Control works really well and can be a godsend in heavier traffic, noticeably reducing fatigue.
Closed Thread