Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #161
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Since we haven't bought the truck yet, I don't have an owner's manual to verify what is and what is not included in payload capacity.
You can download Ford owner manuals here: http://owner.ford.com/content/ford-d...r-manuals.html
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Payload is calculated on top of a full tank of fuel, you don't have to subtract the weight of the fuel. From Ford's fleet brochure:

Maximum payload is defined as the weight of all

passengers, optional and aftermarket equipment,

and cargo

There's no fuel in the payload. *All* passengers are part of the payload, though.

Hi David. You are correct, *all* passengers, but the driver is not a "passenger". At least not in any commonly used sense. The definition of passenger = "a traveler on a public or private conveyance other than the driver, pilot, or crew.". I suspect you have 150lbs more payload than you think you do.
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
Hi David. You are correct, *all* passengers, but the driver is not a "passenger". At least not in any commonly used sense. The definition of passenger = "a traveler on a public or private conveyance other than the driver, pilot, or crew.". I suspect you have 150lbs more payload than you think you do.

Hi. My F150 door frame sticker definitively identifying payload for each vehicle says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo must never exceed X." Occupants includes the driver, obviously, and cargo does not include gas. Ford confuses the situation by providing marketing info about payload that excludes a 150 pound driver, but that does not impact the door frame sticker calculation for each vehicle. Joe.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
From the F-150 manual...

Steps for determining the correct load limit:

Locate the statement "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lb." on your vehicle’s placard.

Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will be riding in your vehicle.

Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from XXX kg or XXX lb.

The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage load capacity. For example, if the “XXX” amount equals 1,400 lb. and there will be five 150 lb. passengers in your vehicle, the amount of available cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lb. (1400-750 (5 x 150) = 650 lb.)
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I think there are flies being killed with atom bombs here. If you are worried about being within 150# of your load limit, you need to get rid of some stuff or get a bigger truck.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Well, the search is over. We finally pulled the trigger on a '17 F-150 Ecoboost King Ranch to pull our 25' Flying Cloud FB. It's absolutely beautiful and has more technology than I will ever be able to figure out. Payload Capacity is 1568 which is 31 lbs. less than the Lariats we had been looking at.

It came down to the deployable running boards as my wife has knee issues and the deployable are about 5 inches closer to the ground than the fixed running boards.

One thing that surprised me was how some dealers ordered their options. When they ordered just the Trailer Tow Package, but added the 36 gallon tank and internal brake controller, those options added up to a higher cost than just going with the Max Trailer Tow Package which adds the beefier rear bumper.

I've not dived into the Owners Manual yet, but since there seems to be some differing opinions as to whether a 298 lb. tank full of gas lives outside the payload capacity on the door, I suppose I'll eventually figure out whether to make it part of the load capacity or not.

I knew more about towing and tow vehicles than all of the salesmen I spoke with thanks to this forum. It's been an interesting journey. I can't wait to get 1000 miles on the truck so I can start towing.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Your payload includes all fluids and full tank of fuel.Also a 150lb allowance for the driver.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #168
Rivet Master

I disagree. According to my 2017 owners manual, payload does not include any allowance for the driver. Regardless, payload is somewhat of a red herring. More importantly, and also discussed in the manual, is GAWR. For those of us hooking up trailers of mostly fixed tongue weights and carrying just ourselves, spouses, and dogs, GAVR is more useful. This requires a trip to the CAT scales to make sure to be within spec.

Instead, taking you and four of your quite large friends, their golf bags, and an ice chest filled with drinks, payload is an easier way to make a quick calculation to make sure your truck is up to the task.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
From the F-150 manual...

Steps for determining the correct load limit:

Locate the statement "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lb." on your vehicle’s placard.

Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will be riding in your vehicle.

Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from XXX kg or XXX lb.

The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage load capacity. For example, if the “XXX” amount equals 1,400 lb. and there will be five 150 lb. passengers in your vehicle, the amount of available cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lb. (1400-750 (5 x 150) = 650 lb.)

Ahh. That does seem to clarify it. Nice to know I won't have to leave my wife at home to meet payload [emoji6]
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #170
Rivet Master

I'm the OP. Reporting in. Drove the truck, no trailer attached, from near Cottonwood Arizona past Flagstaff to Sacramento CA. Got 22.2 mpg for the 800 mile trip. Mostly held cruise control at 75 mph. Truck has about 20k so is broken in.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #171
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Great read lots of information- thanks to everyone