Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
Nice! Everyone is buying F-150's it seems. Yesterday I ordered a silver Super Cab with a 6.5' box. It's mind boggling the number of configurations and options available. Of course, I ordered the "Pro Trailer Backup Assist" which many of you scoffed at a couple months ago but after talking with a few people who own one and reading all the reviews, it became a no brainer for this Newbie. Looking forward to spring here in Vermont as it's snowing hard right now! ;-)
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Great truck! Yesterday I visited with a Ford dealer and tomorrow plan to order an almost identical 2017 Supercab, trading in a 2005 Dodge Dakota. The older truck tows our Safari fine at lower elevations but my wife wants to hit the mountains in the next year or so. The safety features of the F-150 that come with the right trim package convinced me to take the leap.
Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Boyne City , Michigan
Nice truck, I bought a 2016 - F-150 Lariat Supercrew with the long box, it is tight in the garage. I had a 2014 F-150 Lariat Supercrew and was stalked by a retired Ford employee, as he liked my truck due to the color. I sold him mine and purchased a new one. Love the aluminum body, i went up 400# in payload, now at 1,635. You will love the 3.5 eco-boost in the mountains. We did a fall trip in Montana and Wyoming, didn't even know there were mountains. Great truck. Also, the gear lock-out on the transmission is nice on the downhills to help limit speed. Mine has the older 6 speed, so interested to hear how the 10 speed performs. Enjoy.
PattenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Well, I can't imagine that the rubber mats and adaptive cruise weigh much, so I guess that's about what my payload will be. I'm surprised that it's that low, given that I test-drove a King Ranch similarly equipped and it had a payload about 80 lb higher. I'm thinking now that it probably had the small fuel tank, 13 gallons of gasoline weighs right at 80 lb.
The King Ranch comes standard with the 5.0 V8 and 6-speed transmission. Surprisingly the V8 weighs less than the V6 EcoBoost, so that too may help to explain the difference.

The max tow package (which we all should get) includes the 36 gallon tank among other things. I could have omitted the tailgate step (40 lbs), the bed-liner (45 lbs), and the running boards (29 lbs). Those alone might get payload close to approaching 1,800 lbs. Going with 2WD instead of 4WD would probably do exactly that. I should also lose 10 lbs. Choices we make......
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by denton View Post
Nice truck. Will this be your TV for your 27' International?
Yes. I think it will be fine. It's replacing a 2003 Ford Expedition which has been a capable tow vehicle too. It's just that it was getting up there in mileage and the old V8 struggles on grades, especially high up in the mountains.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Moultonborough , New Hampshire
That truck looks great. You beat me to it by a couple of days - my special order F150 is identical except I went with the 6.5 bed, FX4, and 20 inch PVDs. Otherwise exactly the same. Hope my payload is not too much less than yours. Crazy weather is slowing down the deliveries here in the northeast. Good luck with that truck - thanks for posting.
HandyManCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The King Ranch comes standard with the 5.0 V8 and 6-speed transmission. Surprisingly the V8 weighs less than the V6 EcoBoost, so that too may help to explain the difference.

The max tow package (which we all should get) includes the 36 gallon tank among other things. I could have omitted the tailgate step (40 lbs), the bed-liner (45 lbs), and the running boards (29 lbs). Those alone might get payload close to approaching 1,800 lbs. Going with 2WD instead of 4WD would probably do exactly that. I should also lose 10 lbs. Choices we make......
The KR I drove was a 3.5EB+10spd, 4x4. I wanted to drive the current drivetrain to see if I wanted a '17 or to compromise on a leftover '16 that wasn't quite what I wanted. It didn't have the moonroof... I *thought* it was max-tow but perhaps it was just the regular tow package and had the 23-gal tank. It definitely had the tailgate step & fixed running boards. 1660 will be plenty, I had just expected it to be as much or more than that KR.

I came close to taking a Ruby Red '16 with the trailer mirrors, but it was the longer wheelbase and I wanted to keep keep that foot-shorter wheelbase.

My truck went from "In Production" to "Awaiting Shipment" today. Looks like it may get here when they said! Hopefully it won't arrive next week while I'm out on business.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Great Truck. Think you will really enjoy it. I pulls my 25' AS with a 2013 F-150 Super Cab Ecoboost 3.5L V6 and get 12 to 14 mpg pulling. May upgrade to a 2018 Crew Cab next year but I only have 26,000 miles on it since I drive wife's car local most of the time.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

I have to admit I bit off more than I expected with all the tech. Case in point, took a short drive to Salmon Falls to look at the swollen American River. Here in Northern California we've been having a lot of rain, record amounts, over 40" so far where 34" is season average. It's been raining all week and rain all day today. Anyway, we park the truck and walk toward the river to get a quick look at the flood leaving our dog inside the truck. I walk about 50 feet and the alarm goes off. Hmmm, must have accidentally pressed the key fob. I turn off the alarm, walk another 30 feet, the alarm goes off again. I think "the key fob is way to sensitive". Walk another 30 feet same thing. Give up, unlock the truck and go see the river.

It turns out this truck has internal motion detectors. My dog was looking out the window and setting off the alarm. After studying this all afternoon I found there's a work around but it needs to be used every time anyone (dog/people) stay in the truck while parked and locked. Tomorrow I plan a longer drive, I'd like to check out the lane keeping system and adaptive cruise control. This is such a giant toy.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Two weeks ago, we took delivery of a 2017 F-150 Platinum, and like you are really enjoying the ride and technology!

After considering our payload needs, the feedback from this board, and what we enjoy from a daily driver, we went with a nearly loaded unit (3.5 EB, max tow, 20" wheels, 4x4, off road, dual moonroof, bed step, 360 camera, safety technology, spray bedliner, power side steps - some of which are standard on the Platinum).

Stickered payload is 1515, which is not a lot, and of course suffers from all the options, but meets our current needs. Max front axle is 3525, and max drive axle is 3800.

I do wish our unit had tow mirrors, but we could not locate one that had that option, and our travel schedule precluded special order. Also, I don't love the passenger rated Hancook 275 55R20 tires that came with it, and am considering replacements.

All in all, like you, we are happy with our choice, recognizing it involves some towing compromises in favor of daily driving benefits.

(Just FYI, we test drove the gas F-250, and the gas Titan XD, and while both were great, my wife (who shares driving and towing duties with me) could not see well over the hoods even at the highest seat position, so these had to be ruled out.)

Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I love the adaptive speed control. Unfortunately, on my 16, it only brakes down to about 10 MPH then I have to take over (if someone cuts you off, I'd prefer the truck kept stopping itself). Otherwise, depending on traffic and whether or not I'm towing, I adjust the follow distance.

The lane assist is nice, I have the vibrate setting at max. It has kept me from unwanted lane changes a couple of time, it is a bit of a pain right now driving on pot hole infested roads, harder to slide a bit to avoid them. Hopefully spring gets here quickly and they get all the holes filled in!

Have fun - I'm jealous, would have liked to order the 17, but the lease on my prior vehicle was up last May.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Love adaptive cruise control. Best invention ever and precursor to cats that drive themselves.

Can't wait, punch in destination, sit back and let the TV drive to the destination. Lol
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
New Truck

I just bought a new Dodge Ram 3500 crew cab long bed. Turbo 6.7L Cummins Diesel, exhaust brake, etc.. What a monster! Amazing torque. Maybe a little overkill for my 1969 31 Sovereign land yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	279496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	279497  

supercubep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #34
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
1660 payload is a decent amount. Congrats.
Compare to my old 2016 RAM 1500 with only 1,040 lbs! Nice truck!
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The KR I drove was a 3.5EB+10spd, 4x4. I wanted to drive the current drivetrain to see if I wanted a '17 or to compromise on a leftover '16 that wasn't quite what I wanted. It didn't have the moonroof... I *thought* it was max-tow but perhaps it was just the regular tow package and had the 23-gal tank.
It may have been a max tow. My 2015 is a max tow with 23 gallon tank. In 2015 the 36 gallon tank was not part of the max tow package.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Best invention ever and precursor to cats that drive themselves.
I guess we need the invention - I've never been able to herd them! YeeHaa!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Haha, meant cars
Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Two weeks ago, we took delivery of a 2017 F-150 Platinum, and like you are really enjoying the ride and technology!

After considering our payload needs, the feedback from this board, and what we enjoy from a daily driver, we went with a nearly loaded unit (3.5 EB, max tow, 20" wheels, 4x4, off road, dual moonroof, bed step, 360 camera, safety technology, spray bedliner, power side steps - some of which are standard on the Platinum).

Stickered payload is 1515, which is not a lot, and of course suffers from all the options, but meets our current needs. Max front axle is 3525, and max drive axle is 3800.

I do wish our unit had tow mirrors, but we could not locate one that had that option, and our travel schedule precluded special order. Also, I don't love the passenger rated Hancook 275 55R20 tires that came with it, and am considering replacements.

All in all, like you, we are happy with our choice, recognizing it involves some towing compromises in favor of daily driving benefits.

(Just FYI, we test drove the gas F-250, and the gas Titan XD, and while both were great, my wife (who shares driving and towing duties with me) could not see well over the hoods even at the highest seat position, so these had to be ruled out.)

Joe
Joe, I'm leaning also to an optioned 2017 Platinum to pull our FC 25RB, which we just ordered. We live out west. So, your 1515# minus approx. 835# tongue weight leaves about 680#. Conservatively (not considering any gain back from an HD witch), is 680# enough "stuff" for just my wife and me ... a couple of bikes, some camping gear, a couple of Honda 2000's. Surely, you ran these numbers. What do you think? I really want the Platinum, but I don't want to look back and worry about too little payload as we gain more experience streaming.
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
Joe, I'm leaning also to an optioned 2017 Platinum to pull our FC 25RB, which we just ordered. We live out west. So, your 1515# minus approx. 835# tongue weight leaves about 680#. Conservatively (not considering any gain back from an HD witch), is 680# enough "stuff" for just my wife and me ... a couple of bikes, some camping gear, a couple of Honda 2000's. Surely, you ran these numbers. What do you think? I really want the Platinum, but I don't want to look back and worry about too little payload as we gain more experience streaming.

Hi RBaldwin. I can't say for sure what will work for you, and by what safety margin, but we got it to work for us.

There is just the two of us, two Honda 2000s, a 51 pound tonneau cover, two beach cruisers, a small sport kayak, some beach chairs, a portable telescope, an O-grill, and clothes and supplies.

We have an Eddie Bauer, and place the bikes and kayak and most other junk around mid ship in the trailer, so the axles bear apt of that load; the generators go in the truck bed right under the back window.

We use a Reese hitch with 1200 pounds bars set fairly aggressively. With all this, we've been to the CAT scales with 36 gallons of gas and have not exceeded the safety specs, but we are definitely approaching some of them. We've put 800 miles flat land towing in this configuration, and it feels quite stable and controlled. And comfortable and high tech!

I honestly can't say I feel we have a lot of spec cushion for expansion, and that is a decision we made with eyes (and wallet) wide open. I can't say it will be OK for you, but I do hope you find something that gets you happy and comfortable.
Best,
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Two weeks ago, we took delivery of a 2017 F-150 Platinum . . .

Joe
Joe, we couldn't make any sense of the low "payload" number when we buying our new Ram Laramie, when we had axle ratings of 3900 lbs front and rear and were towing our Airstream with a properly set up and capable weight distribution hitch, which distributed the load among our truck and trailer axles.

It did make sense when trailering and carrying truck load in the bed with no weight distribution hitch. Our Ram Towing Guide advises us payload is all the weight carried in the truck plus the downward weight exerted on our truck's receiver. If we put the maximum payload in the truck bed and on the truck receiver, we will most probably be overloading the truck's rear axle. The steering axle will be to light for good control, and the handling and braking compromised. We have seen broken axles, but never a broken payload.

When we put a weight distribution hitch on the receiver, much of that downward weight is distributed among the truck and trailer axles. We can control the load on our axles with our weight distribution hitch. We can and do verify that axle load at a CAT truck scale. Our Ram Towing Guide does not mention using a w.d hitch and its effects.

The door sticker with a payload number has to represent both conditions, what else can they do. What we can do is look at our truck's capabilities a little more closely.

We'll load by axle weight when towing with a w.d. hitch, not "payload". I believe it explains part of the "mystery" of Can-Am's thousands of successful setups. And I believe it explains how generations of Airstreamers right up to today have been doing it successfully, most probably not even aware of "payload".

So what about combined weight rating (GCWR). Our Ram has a drive train, brakes, and capability to handle 14,750 lbs combined weight. Heavily loaded, our combined weight is at least 1000 lbs under that, payload doesn't make sense to us here either, when using a w.d. hitch.

Do as you wish and are comfortable with, this is how we have been towing our Airstreams for most of nine years. As have thousands of other half-ton truck, SUV, van, and sedan owners.

A very important point, you must have a highly capable and properly set up weight distribution hitch to tow with this class vehicle safely no matter the load on the truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote