Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
I only laugh at these long range predictions. Currently I would never change my plans based on such announcements.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Petroleum will still be needed for lubricants, metallurgical coal will still be needed for steel, etc. But, I'm fine with making a decision to head towards electrics. Making these decisions will help them be able to ramp up work on batteries, making them capable of holding more energy, being charged faster, etc. By the time we get 10, 15 years down the road, the battery technology may be a whole other formula than what's current. More batteries can help the range issue, but the rate of recharge will be 'interesting' to solve.

Maybe a highly-efficient solar panel will be developed and mounted on roof of vehicles, that can keep the batteries topped off while you're driving (in daylight) (would have to have enough battery capacity to be able to keep going from sundown to sun-up). I'm not 'holding my breath' for such, but, it's a worthy goal.
Direct maximum solar radiation (100% efficient) is .17 horsepower per square foot. You'll need about 80-120 horsepower average to tow and the theoretical efficiency of a Solar panel is 45% max so working into the foreseeable future you'd need 1,570 square feet of solar panels on your vehicle. If you want that to remain in one lane, that will be about 184 feet in length.

Future batteries will almost certainly be fuel cells that use a continuously replenished energy source (fuel) as an input and convert it directly to electricity to avoid the inefficiency of heat engines which can be quite inefficient as the practical theoretical max is maybe 40-50%. Fuel cells practical efficiency is on the order of 85% though current end to end efficiency is now 40-50%.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #23
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
When the Tesla Cybertruck was announced, I immediately put down a reservation for the tri-motor version. It’s not expected to be delivered until 2023, but that’s around the time when I will be ready to replace my current TV. The specs are really impressive: 14,000# towing capacity, and 500+ miles range. Supercharging would be tricky while towing, and I suspect Tesla will be reconfiguring their stations to better facilitate towers, but being able to charge overnight at RV parks would be awesome.

So my advice is to wait for the new electric trucks to arrive. After spending thousands of dollars on gas towing my Airstream across Canada and back, I’m eager to go completely electric. And besides, electric vehicles are considerably cheaper to maintain.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
U.S. President Joe Biden has announced that he will replace the nearly 650,000 vehicles in the federal government's automobile fleet with electric ones.

Biden didn't provide a timeline for this transition, but emphasized that the vehicles will be manufactured in the U.S.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/bi...ry?id=75488441
Old 01-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
U.S. President Joe Biden has announced that he will replace the nearly 650,000 vehicles in the federal government's automobile fleet with electric ones.

Biden didn't provide a timeline for this transition, but emphasized that the vehicles will be manufactured in the U.S.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/bi...ry?id=75488441
Down in the South, hurricanes are real things and evacuating for them generates traffic jams that have stranded thousands of those who started with tanks less than 45% full. Then in the aftermath, the entire electric grid was down for weeks and months. Hmm...... Is this ready for prime time?
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
its all a large system.

EV roll out needs to coordinate with upgrades to many infrastructure parts, including but not limited to:
- charging points
- home charging
- electricity production
- electricity transmission
- technology transfer
- self driving and auto as a service.
- just as coal usage is waning, so will gas and oil over the long term (50-200 years)
- current young kids who go into technology need to be trained etc.

we all moved from small craftwork into the industrial ag
we moved from agrarian lifestyle into suburbia
we moved form horses to automobiles
we moved from 1000's of workers into automation replacing humans

this is just life evolution
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Waterford , Wisconsin
Looking forward to it!

Probably inevitable! I have a 2004 Prius that's nearing 300,000 miles now. With the original batteries. Its hard to imagine how much better batteries are today in 2020! If there's a market for hefty electric trucks they will most likely build them. My next vehicle will be all electric. I'm looking forward to a cleaner and maybe quieter future1
Old 01-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Life evolution...when mother nature is thru with us she will make sure we leave. Depend on it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Hey, Chicken Little

The sky is not falling. No one is going to take away your TV. Diesel will not become extinct. We run amok in conspiracy theories and are quick to panic.

I suggest you look at this a different way. GM is trying to improve their fleet. All the other manufacturers are watching. The market will drive whether or not any extreme measures will be tolerated. This has always been the case. I remember, back in the mid 60's seeing a Honda Civic I believe. It was TINY! The wheels caught my eye and looked not to be much larger than those on a child's wagon. The movement then was smaller is better and gas mileage was a hook used. The market did not support them but, they hung around and you can now see the payoff. I think this will be similar to the EV movement. Right now, we can all see limitations but don't think for a minute that these will dictate the future. Things will get better.

I am a hybrid believer. I had a prius and it was fantastic for dependability and economy. It was terrible in the snow though. We now have a RAV4 hybrid and it looks to be much improved in all areas. Yes, it still burns gas but not nearly as much as the previous SUV we drove. Baby steps is what we are looking at. Digging in our heels and staying put is not the answer.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Coal fired electric plants in the US are quite clean these days, surprisingly so. China? Not so much.
Agree, but not many want to hear that fact. I think I’ll just try and enjoy my Airstream today and not worry about what may or may not happen in 2035.

On another note, I’ve often wondered how the Ice Age ended there were no cars or utility plants back then.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
I am not worried about this at all. Tesla’s Cyber Truck, which Elon Musk has vowed will be released this year, has a towing capacity of 14,000 pounds. Again this is coming out this year. The Hummer EV and Rivian’s electric trucks can both tow 11,000 pounds. The technology is here now and yes, these trucks are expensive but they are first generation and I expect to see prices fall rapidly.

Here's a link to more info: https://bit.ly/2MgZVKn

Tesla has built charging stations all over the US - see the map below for the locations of all Tesla superchargers in North America at the present. Most of the superchargers are located near grocery stores, restaurants etc. Also, here on the west coast at least, malls, parks etc have free charging stations. A friend of mine just bought a Tesla Model 3 and drove from Seattle to San Diego and said there was never an issue with finding a charger along the way. Imagine what this will be like 5 or 10 years from now.

Here's Tesla's better map which lets you search locations: https://www.tesla.com/supercharger?redirect=no

I can easily imagine pulling into a campsite, dropping off the trailer and heading to recharge while buying groceries or grabbing dinner at a restaurant. Or in the not too distant future unhooking the trailer and letting the truck drive itself to be charged. It’s a brave new world!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Electric changes everything

I don’t think folks here understand what is going to happen to travel trailers & towing.

In an electric world, “Tow Vehicles” don’t exist. The game changes completely and you pull a 30’ Airstream with whatever your daily driver is, even if it’s a sub compact.

This is possible because electric motors are simple enough to provide drive wheels on the trailer, and the trailer floor can house a massive quantity of batteries. In effect the travel trailer is a self propelled vehicle behind and under the control of the car in front, but placing almost no physical demands on the tow vehicle.

This makes no sense with IC engines due to the complexity and weight, but it’s a obvious with electric.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
Pasadena , California
Leaving anything to with climate change out of it as even though I am strong believer, you won't change minds on a message board...

This is market evolution regardless as battery technology has improved. I owned a Prius and have driven everything from a Tesla to a Nissan Leaf. EVs are cheaper to operate on a daily basis and with maintenance and way more fun to drive. You just feel more connected to the car as they all just have more zip.

Suggest that you try renting one for a weekend on Turo as not too expensive to try and you will see. Is just the evolution just like switching from Leaded to unleaded gas in the 70s. People said the EXACT same things about government intrusion, it will ruin the driving experience, etc but everyone survived and it made a huge difference in the environment with wildlife and reducing the level of lead in children.

TLDR: EVs are a blast to drive, even a Nissan
Old 01-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheever View Post
I am not worried about this at all. Tesla’s Cyber Truck, which Elon Musk has vowed will be released this year, has a towing capacity of 14,000 pounds. Again this is coming out this year. The Hummer EV and Rivian’s electric trucks can both tow 11,000 pounds. The technology is here now and yes, these trucks are expensive but they are first generation and I expect to see prices fall rapidly.

Here's a link to more info: https://bit.ly/2MgZVKn

Tesla has built charging stations all over the US - see the map below for the locations of all Tesla superchargers in North America at the present. Most of the superchargers are located near grocery stores, restaurants etc. Also, here on the west coast at least, malls, parks etc have free charging stations. A friend of mine just bought a Tesla Model 3 and drove from Seattle to San Diego and said there was never an issue with finding a charger along the way. Imagine what this will be like 5 or 10 years from now.

Here's Tesla's better map which lets you search locations: https://www.tesla.com/supercharger?redirect=no

I can easily imagine pulling into a campsite, dropping off the trailer and heading to recharge while buying groceries or grabbing dinner at a restaurant. Or in the not too distant future unhooking the trailer and letting the truck drive itself to be charged. It’s a brave new world!
According to the map you posted I can't drive a Tesla across the Sahara or the Arctic, obviously electric vehicles have severe limitations and they'll never catch on!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #35

2009 27' FB Classic
slc , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
In the news, GM plans to become carbon neutral and cease production of gas and diesel vehicles by 2035, 14 years from now. According to their press release they will cease production of gas and diesel as they go, ending all by 2035. Volkswagen made a similar promise a couple years ago to do the same by 2025. Its reasonable to expect Ford and Chrysler to make similar announcements soon. Additionally, California recently banned the sale of gas and diesel vehicles by 2035, expect many other states to follow.

So what does this mean for Airstreaming, and RVing in general? As of today there are no practical electric vehicles on the horizon capable of replicating the towing experience now enjoyed by gas or diesel trucks. Some thoughts come to mind.

1. Buy the last good gas or diesel truck for sale in 2035. But will we be able to conveniently find gas or diesel for sale by, say, 2045?

2. Should I sell the Airstream to somebody else before it becomes a worthless stranded asset. If so when?

3. Will campgrounds make the sizeable investment in upgraded electrical infrastructure to provide recharging capacity for all campers to recharge their large hungry batteries all at once? What about state and federal parks? My guess is mostly probably not due to cost and lack of funding.

4. What does this mean for the RV lifestyle in general? Will tent camping return out of necessity? Will RVing become impractical, or limited to short nearby campgrounds? Will the epic cross country or Alaska trips become a thing of the past? Or will the conversion be seamless and nothing changes?

Brought this up to have a conversation about navigating the change. Please no need get into the politics of the matter.
I ordered a Tesla Cybertruck tri-motor within the first minute anyone could order one last year. It will have a range of 500+ miles and tow 14,000 lbs. Towing our 2012, 27' Classic the range will be cut in half... 250+ miles, depending on how fast I feel like driving. I have a crazy idea to recharge sometimes at an RV park overnight. If that works... I'll be elated. If not, it will be an adventure, but doable, I think. Currently, we drive a Chey Bolt around town and charge it with electricity off the roof. So, the first 250 miles of future Airstream trips will be free. As to 2035, if our nation doesn't learn to spend only as much as it takes in, we may be living full time in our Airstreams... so keep it.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m 70

Good news
Old 01-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"How many EV fanatics I wonder will be in line to get on the Electric Airplane?"

GM also announced future plans for that. Basically a very large electric drone.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I don't care what technology is under the hood of my truck. I do care that it can closely replicate my current travel experience. Out west where I live 300 miles days are common between desirable locations. Between breaks and a quick lunch that's most of a travel day.

My gas fueled truck has a 750 mile range not towing and a little over 400 when towing. That's important to me when refuelling, whether it be gas or electric.

Currently camped in a federal park campground in southern Arizona 100 miles from the nearest Tesla recharge station according to their website. About 30 miles from the nearest gas. No hookups for RVs here. Just electricity for the visitor center. Part of the fun here is exploring the roughly 100+ miles of dirt roads inside the park boundary. Not a problem with my gas truck, still has half a tank.

To my mind the real concern isn't development of a electric truck with the towing power, rather its towing range, and mostly, the infrastructure for recharging in the rural and remote places most desirable for camping. Will that happen by 2035? Who will pay for it?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm still worked up because the entire world is switching over to the metric system- in 1975.

My electric lawn tools work much better than their gas counterparts. My electric scooter is one of the best things ever. My next car will be a hybrid.

I don't see an end to fossil fuels in the next 15 years. How much lithium will it take to power a ship? And the infrastructure isn't there yet. Electric charging needs to be standardized.

If I were in my 40's, I would be taking more trips instead of saving up for tomorrow. America my America, where did you go?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #40
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I always ask someone with a totally electric car, where the power for their battery charger is produced. In too many cases, it is still a coal fired generating station. So the emissions are in someone else's back yard. Out of sight, out of mind.
From a provincial (monopoly) utility company that reports that 97% of the electricity they provide comes from renewable sources.

My figure would be better than that if I had an opportunity to have home solar, but I don't.

We don't have coal, but there is still US sourced thermal coal being shipped through our ports for export, as the neighbouring US ports won't handle it. Stopping this is on the list.
Closed Thread