Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #1

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Sarasota , Florida
GM Supercruise

I purchased a new 23 fb twin flying cloud a few months ago. I also bought a new Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup with supercruise. I had a Ram 2500, but wanted supercruise. Why? I do a 625 mile trip from Florida to North Carolina to my farm. Yes, I am a great driver, experienced boater, multi engine instrument rated pilot but let’s be real, driving takes energy and concentration. Humans make mistakes so any help is just that: help.
This is a game changer. The highways are part of supercruise as are most of the state roads up through Georgia. I couldn’t believe it. So I get on to I75, bring the rig up to 70 mph and hit on supercruise and relax. I watch, do lane changes, if a truck takes up too much lane I gently touch the wheel and go to the edge of my lane, but come back center and then hands off. The two lane side roads deserve more driver attention. The overall trip was much less tiring and safer.
I hope they put this feature in the HD trucks. Oh, I have the duramax diesel, and without the trailer it really does 29-30 mpg, with the trailer it does 15 mpg. Nice little rig.
The message here is look at supercruise with an open mind, you stay involved but at a much reduced level. And if you take your eyes off the road for a few seconds, you stay dead a*# in the middle of you lane. Drive safely, message if you have questions.
Winetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have a similar experience with Ford’s Bluecruise. A real game changer in long distance driving where you really do need all of the help you can get.

I’m the case of Bluecruise it doesn’t quite work when towing yet, but every update is getting closer.

I believe supercruise works while towing.

I will not buy a new vehicle without it. So add it to the evolving list of things you never knew you needed and now can’t do without:

Seat belts
Heated windscreens
Air bags
Cruise control
Climate control
Heated seats
Passenger heater seats
Heated steering wheel (who knew?)
Blue-cruise/Super-cruise
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #3
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Most of the self-driving stuff is ... kinda sorta maybe sometimes. It's not bad stuff, but it's not quite up to the hype.
I'm not familiar with Ford's instantiation, and I'm not a huge GM fan BUT, from what I've seen and what I've read, they're doing this right. I like my RAM's adaptive cruise and lane keep assist, but this really should be at a whole different level, and from your post, it looks like it is.

Great to hear.

Have read some of the technical documents for the semi-truck version of this, and the overall approach between the two looks pretty similar. Not going to say what I did, but it looked pretty well thought out..
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winetime1 View Post
The message here is look at supercruise with an open mind, you stay involved but at a much reduced level. And if you take your eyes off the road for a few seconds, you stay dead a*# in the middle of you lane. Drive safely, message if you have questions.

big +1 on this. Our car (Audi Q8) has similar driver assistance features, and it makes a game changer. Going to Anaheim and back last week (380 miles each way) with our camper was basically effortless.
Mullers is offline   Reply With Quote