Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation GM Recalls over 300k 2014 pickups for possible engine fires

Recall: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado GMC Sierra for engine fires - MSN Autos
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Just engine software errors, like the ford tranny software.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Recall - as reported by Chris Woodyard at USA Today on the 11th of Jan, 2014....

Fire risk: GM recalls 303K Chevy, GMC pickups

As someone already said, software fault but one that causes the trucks to catch fire....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Recall - as reported by Chris Woodyard at USA Today on the 11th of Jan, 2014....

Fire risk: GM recalls 303K Chevy, GMC pickups

As someone already said, software fault but one that causes the trucks to catch fire....
Only in extended idling situations at very cold temps. Software available tomorrow. Affected Vehicle files at dealers loaded tonight.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did verify that the VINs are loaded into the system this morning. This reprogram takes about 1/2 hour, but dealer scheduling is the buggaboo. Contact your dealer to verify need and for an appointment to reduce your inconvenience.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I wonder why they can't just push the software through Onstar. Wouldn't it be useful if a driver of an affected vehicle could hit the Onstar button, request the software update, and be done with it. If I hit the Onstar button, they can tell me where I am, my speed, what my tire pressure is, and if cylinder #3 is mis-firing. There must be some reason they can't or won't push a software update - either it is technologically not possible, or they choose not to do it so it doesn't seem like Big
Brother is taking over your car.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
So, pack the marshmallows and hot dogs when driving 2014 GM trucks?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I wonder why they can't just push the software through Onstar. Wouldn't it be useful if a driver of an affected vehicle could hit the Onstar button, request the software update, and be done with it. If I hit the Onstar button, they can tell me where I am, my speed, what my tire pressure is, and if cylinder #3 is mis-firing. There must be some reason they can't or won't push a software update - either it is technologically not possible, or they choose not to do it so it doesn't seem like Big
Some updates can and some can't. A lot of the body control software can be, and is, pushed through Onstar. Most of the powertrain software and associated hardware are not interconnected to body functions. The Volt is probably the most inclusive of software pushes because much of the electrical propulsion system and battery are also used for body electrical functions and the controllers interact.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
It would be theoretically possible to design a system that could accept a download, verify it and then allow you to approve an update. However, it might be a large file, and if something went wrong with the reflash it might brick your ECU and leave you in a Wendy's parking lot where you happened to let it do the update, etc.

Generally they want to reflash an ECU in a very controlled environment, using a known-good copy of the firmware in a setting that's safe in the event that something goes wrong and they have to redo the process or in the worst case replace the ECU. What's annoying if it happened to your $500 laptop might be a huge problem where your $50,000 pickup is concerned.

Never mind the potential for mischief if some hacker gained access to your vehicle via the network!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
My guess: If the update fails for some reason, now your truck is dead in the water wherever it happens to be at the time, requiring a tow. At least if something goes awry while at the dealer, they have the tools to get it running again.

Edit: Yeah, what DKB_SATX said.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are ways to protect that and validate a download prior to an install. For example, we have had Volts which failed an update repeatedly because they are parked in a parking structure, for example. We do downloads while vehicle is shut down, mostly at night, for obvious reasons.

Onstar needs a relatively unobstructed view of the sky. In these cases, Onstar would contact the customer and ask for a time for a suitable download.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
There are ways to protect that and validate a download prior to an install. For example, we have had Volts which failed an update repeatedly because they are parked in a parking structure, for example. We do downloads while vehicle is shut down, mostly at night, for obvious reasons.

Onstar needs a relatively unobstructed view of the sky. In these cases, Onstar would contact the customer and ask for a time for a suitable download.
For data downloads, Onstar most likely just needs reliable cell phone signal. It's unlikely that they're doing any satellite data communications, just passive GPS reception.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Nope, I've been told we use satellite. GM owns our own satellites form the ownership of Hughes days. Thus the requirement for open sky. On board AT&T 4G coming soon, so that may change.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Nope, I've been told we use satellite. GM owns our own satellites form the ownership of Hughes days. Thus the requirement for open sky. On board AT&T 4G coming soon, so that may change.
OnStar has always had fairly fuzzy marketing about that, because satellite seems so space-age. From the disclaimer in the footer of the OnStar homepage: OnStar services require vehicle electric system (including battery), wireless service and GPS satellite signals to be available and operating for features to function properly. "Wireless service" = cell phone service.

If they did use satellite, there'd be no holes in their coverage map, which looks like a less-precise version of the Verizon coverage map.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, it needs both. At the time Onstar was developed, there wasn't even 2G. Data transmission over cellular wasn't feasible. Presently, voice communication is cellular and all the other logistics and data stream info is satellite. GPS location is satellite. Map updates for nav are now satellite....since the discs have disappeared. Vehicle software updates(where vehicle electrical architecture allows) is satellite.
All the telematics, which are soon to be offered to fleets, is satellite. Stolen vehicle slowdown, airbag deployment notification, etc. is all satellite.

Blue button is cellular. Red button is satellite........

So, in short, yes it is a mix. More holes in voice communication, but there can be holes in satellite. If your handheld GPS can't get a signal, then neither can Onstar, for the most part.

Presently it IS the verizon map, as Verizon is the cellular carrier. Will be moving to AT&T in future products...along with new services.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Been with Verizon continuously since 1988. I have had excellent US coverage driving from AZ to Indiana many times over the years.

Messed with AT & T with 1st iPhone and had to give up as I did not get usable signal in Phoenix, Santa Fe, NM and Bloomington, IN (with Indiana University and over 30,000 students).

Really nice to hear how the NSA can shut your car down as well as listen to the on board conversations. But they could do that through the television in your home as well.

Gee, George Orwell had it correct a long time ago and he was raised in a back water country called Burma and was talking about the dictatorship there in the 60s and it really applies to today.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Been with Verizon continuously since 1988. I have had excellent US coverage driving from AZ to Indiana many times over the years.

Messed with AT & T with 1st iPhone and had to give up as I did not get usable signal in Phoenix, Santa Fe, NM and Bloomington, IN (with Indiana University and over 30,000 students).

Really nice to hear how the NSA can shut your car down as well as listen to the on board conversations. But they could do that through the television in your home as well.

Gee, George Orwell had it correct a long time ago and he was raised in a back water country called Burma and was talking about the dictatorship there in the 60s and it really applies to today.
These Orwellian urban myths have been around for a long time and are either patently untrue or are greatly misunderstood. Onstar is only authorized to slow down a car by order of validated law enforcement request. Onstar can't listen into the car without a tone and voice announcement. (that's law). The black box can and does record the DATASTREAM (not voice) about 45 seconds before an air bag deployment and about 45 seconds after....so don't lie about the facts surrounding an accident. Lawyers can and do subpoena that info from time to time.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We got off topic...and I'm guilty...sorry for that. FYI, I just went and had the recall performed. 1 hour total from drive up to drive away, with an appointment. No issues with the re-calibration.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My truck is included in the recall. I spoke to the dealer to confirm it. I was told there are two recalls on my truck at this point. (1)To check the torque on a pinion nut and (2)the reprograming. I was told to not worry about it, unless I was going to be in extreme cold weather, and they would take care of it at my next service. Or they told me to come in if I was concerned and it would take less than an hour to take care of everything.

I think, but not positive, the reprograming is for gas engine vehicles. Has anyone heard for sure?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
My truck is included in the recall. I spoke to the dealer to confirm it. I was told there are two recalls on my truck at this point. (1)To check the torque on a pinion nut and (2)the reprograming. I was told to not worry about it, unless I was going to be in extreme cold weather, and they would take care of it at my next service. Or they told me to come in if I was concerned and it would take less than an hour to take care of everything.

I think, but not positive, the reprograming is for gas engine vehicles. Has anyone heard for sure?
It's specific to the new Chevrolet and GMC 1500s, so it's only for gasoline engines.