Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2024, 09:55 AM   #21
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I did a double take on that too. And it's true (96" in KY, MD, NH, NJ also). According to this and this. Every other state is 102". Is this mostly ignored in NY, etc.?

NEW YORK
Maximum RV width 96 in. (102 in. on qualifying or access highways)
Maximum motorhome length 45 ft.
Maximum trailer length 48 ft.
Maximum RV height 13.5 ft.
Maximum combined length for two-vehicle combination 65 ft.
Riding is allowed in truck campers or fifth-wheel trailers. RVs are not allowed in the carpool lane unless posted. Bottled gas is prohibited in tunnels, the lower levels of the George Washington Bridge and the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, and on I-95 through Manhattan.
No, it’s not ignored. I know of individuals who had trailers impounded when they departed from the approved through-transit routes.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
NY and NJ have lower width limits than the rest of the US. NC has a wider limit (9’) without permits.

This is the reason why so many trailerable boats have a max beam of 8’. It’s not because 8’ magically offers the best performance or design. It’s to keep them legal for trailering in all 50 states without permits.

As mentioned, there are exceptions to permit 8.5’ vehicles to through-transit these states. But off of those designated routes, the 8’ width limit applies:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/nypermits/rep...ction-385.html
I am sort of shocked by this. NY must have a lot of oversized recreational trailers on their roads. I don't know about other brands but as you know any AS > 23' is 102" wide. I did a search and couldn't find any RV threads or references about getting a permit or even a mention of this restriction (maybe I'm using the wrong terms). Also, Colonial AS is in NJ, do the authorities sit and wait for people to pull out of their lot?

Personally, we live in Minnesota so there's no immediate concern but Newfoundland is on the bucket list and we might be going through New England on the way there or back and it would be nice to get off the Interstate and see stuff in NY and NH even if our Airstream isn't street legal.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:29 AM   #23
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
I am sort of shocked by this. NY must have a lot of oversized recreational trailers on their roads. I don't know about other brands but as you know any AS > 23' is 102" wide. I did a search and couldn't find any RV threads or references about getting a permit or even a mention of this restriction (maybe I'm using the wrong terms). Also, Colonial AS is in NJ, do the authorities sit and wait for people to pull out of their lot?

Personally, we live in Minnesota so there's no immediate concern but Newfoundland is on the bucket list and we might be going through New England on the way there or back and it would be nice to get off the Interstate and see stuff in NY and NH even if our Airstream isn't street legal.
Some people gamble and chance it. Others get permits. Many are blissfully ignorant.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:33 AM   #24
Just an old timer...

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Even with the 23’s 8’ width, you will probably need accessory tow mirrors. Not a big deal - - they are very helpful, easy to mount, and not very expensive.

I'm more concerned about them chaffing or damaging the trucks mirrors. Any suggestion on specific mirrors that won't?
I bought K Source snap-over mirrors for my new Gladiator. I know that they have them for Tundra... I don't know what form factor mirror Tundra years use, so you'll have to check their catalog and see if they have something that works for you.

https://www.ksource.org/product-list...andZapLogo.png

AIR 2053 Current: 2020 Globetrotter 23FBQ

Airstreams Emeritus:
1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van," 2004 Interstate T1N
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:48 AM   #25
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I bought K Source snap-over mirrors for my new Gladiator. I know that they have them for Tundra... I don't know what form factor mirror Tundra years use, so you'll have to check their catalog and see if they have something that works for you.

Wow those are slick. Wish they made them for my TV!
Old 04-16-2024, 11:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Some people gamble and chance it. Others get permits. Many are blissfully ignorant.
I couldn't find much of anything on getting a permit and what it costs.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:14 PM   #27
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
I couldn't find much of anything on getting a permit and what it costs.
Can’t help you there. I’ve always stuck at or below 8’ beam/width with our boats and now with our Airstream travel trailer to avoid this hassle.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Can’t help you there. I’ve always stuck at or below 8’ beam/width with our boats and now with our Airstream travel trailer to avoid this hassle.
So, this has gotten me wondering. I'm going to dig into it some more.

I bugged Colonial AS about it and asked if they knew anything as far as NJ goes. I heard from Partrick fairly quickly and he thought in NJ it is only for commercial vehicles and suggested to contact the NJ authorities. Since I haven't found anything about permitting in NY for recreational trailers, I wonder if it's the same there - just for commercial (ignoring @Bike's testimony for the moment). Maybe I'll try the tourist related government people.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, I'll start a new one if I get anywhere.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
The only way to tell how much weight is transferred to the trailer axle(s) is to do before and after truck scale measurements. In our case, I believe it is about 300 pounds. That is with a 30 foot Classic with an 1100 pound tongue weight. We towed this trailer for four years with a half ton truck. At the scales, we were at 5000 pounds on the rear axle, the GAWR is 3800. We do NOT travel light! That is what convinced me that we needed to move to a 3/4 ton truck.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:22 PM   #30
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
So, this has gotten me wondering. I'm going to dig into it some more.

I bugged Colonial AS about it and asked if they knew anything as far as NJ goes. I heard from Partrick fairly quickly and he thought in NJ it is only for commercial vehicles and suggested to contact the NJ authorities. Since I haven't found anything about permitting in NY for recreational trailers, I wonder if it's the same there - just for commercial (ignoring @Bike's testimony for the moment). Maybe I'll try the tourist related government people.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, I'll start a new one if I get anywhere.
I like Patrick a lot. But he is mistaken. (He may prefer to remain uninformed because the ambiguity is better for business.)

The 8’ width limit is not limited to commercial vehicles. It applies to privately trailered boats, travel trailers, etc as well as commercial vehicles.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:30 AM   #31
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
This might be a stretch...

But how about this...

"The width of a vehicle, inclusive of load, shall be not more than ninety-six inches plus safety devices, except that the maximum width of a vehicle, inclusive of load, shall be one hundred two inches, plus safety devices..."

Is it legaleeze possible the framing of the AS is the 'vehicle' and the camper mounted to it is the 'load' thereby making it allowable? 🤔
Old 04-17-2024, 08:07 AM   #32
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
But how about this...

"The width of a vehicle, inclusive of load, shall be not more than ninety-six inches plus safety devices, except that the maximum width of a vehicle, inclusive of load, shall be one hundred two inches, plus safety devices..."

Is it legaleeze possible the framing of the AS is the 'vehicle' and the camper mounted to it is the 'load' thereby making it allowable? ��
But you left out the operative language in that exception: “…on any qualifying or access highway.”

This is the exception which I have mentioned several times that allows an 8.5’ vehicle or trailer to through-transit the state on designated highways. It’s intended to allow vehicles exceeding the usual 8’ width limit (but not to exceed 8.5’) to directly transit across the state on the highway system without obtaining a permit.

However, this exception doesn’t allow for roaming around the state on rural side roads or back roads etc. You have to transit the state by the most direct route possible on the designated highway system without venturing off the route other than for necessary fuel stops in the immediate vicinity of the route.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:10 AM   #33
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
...awaiting an email response

In the meantime I contacted the NYDOT permit division via phone. John passed my message to Tom, the permit supervisor, who did return the call. Speaking to Tom I explained what I have, mentioned house coaches and fifth wheels were addressed, but not travel trailers. He said that I was just fine & would not be pulled over for being too wide. The intent was for commercial vehicles. I did spend a week+ driving around NY from VT to the Finger Lake area and parts west & south seeing all manner of LE vehicles and didn't get pulled over.
Curious what the email response will be.
Details at 11.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:48 PM   #34
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post

These are what I use on my Tundra. They work great.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:20 AM   #35
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Thumbs up DOT email response...

Looks like we're good to go in NY State (barring I suppose any locally posted restrictions).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NYDOT.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	442960  
Old 04-22-2024, 11:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
Looks like we're good to go in NY State (barring I suppose any locally posted restrictions).
Thanks! It would have been nice if he gave more of an explanation and I hope you don't need to carry the letter around in case you get pulled over. I will be dropping Thomas Golden's name if it happens to us. I wrote the state tourist office, but haven't heard back yet.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:57 PM   #37
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Thanks! It would have been nice if he gave more of an explanation and I hope you don't need to carry the letter around in case you get pulled over. I will be dropping Thomas Golden's name if it happens to us. I wrote the state tourist office, but haven't heard back yet.
Ditto.

The reply makes no sense and is contrary to the plain language in the written law, and what is well understood in the boating community. In NJ and NY, police occasionally conduct enforcement operations at boat ramps/launch sites to screen for oversized (over-width) trailered boats. Over 8’ gets you a violation.

There is no special exception for travel trailers. (But as previously mentioned there is an exception permitting through-transit on designated highways at up to 102” width.)

Reading the non-specific nature of the question that was asked, it’s possible the individual who responded was referring only to “NYS” or state highways. Which would be consistent with the exception language.

It’s also possible there has been a relatively recent change in the law or its interpretation that relaxed the rules. But I would want something more authoritative than this letter if I was going to rely on it.