Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #41
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My F150 Ecoboost had coil & plugs fail several times while traveling and towing. Not a convenient fix while on the road. When one of these go bad, the truck goes into limp mode. And when that happens, you really have to baby the truck along with no hard acceleration and down shifting to make it over an overpass. Luckily it never happened in the mountains.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Maintenance cost and TCO goes to... Toyota
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I will never understand these threads.

Discussing the "ECONOMICAL" or "FINANCIAL" differences between GAS & DIESEL is like talking about weather it is better to light your money on fire or flush it down the toilet.

NO DAILY USE VEHICLE IS A FINACIALLY A GOOD INVESTMENT

The only thing that losses value faster that a truck/car is the Airstream Travel trailer your pulling behind it.

Why can't people just buy what the want or "NEED" or any other reason and not have to have some one else tell them its OK or IT MAKES THE MOST SENSE.

I think most of these threads (LIKE tires, tow vehicles, fuel types. ect) at this point are just started to have something to rant about.

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER. It is your money, your vehicle just do what makes YOU happy.

Rant over
Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Maintenance cost and TCO goes to... Toyota
Can you say LOTUS? Being a Toyota guy, you know the answer.

My wife had a RAV Limited, was not cheep to maintain. Drank gas like a dunk sailor. Every time we turned around got another recall notice. 36k new 2008, sold 2016 w/under 70k, blue book 15k. Was not a good investment for us.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
I will never understand these threads.

Discussing the "ECONOMICAL" or "FINANCIAL" differences between GAS & DIESEL is like talking about weather it is better to light your money on fire or flush it down the toilet.

NO DAILY USE VEHICLE IS A FINACIALLY A GOOD INVESTMENT

The only thing that losses value faster that a truck/car is the Airstream Travel trailer your pulling behind it.

Why can't people just buy what the want or "NEED" or any other reason and not have to have some one else tell them its OK or IT MAKES THE MOST SENSE.

I think most of these threads (LIKE tires, tow vehicles, fuel types. ect) at this point are just started to have something to rant about.

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER. It is your money, your vehicle just do what makes YOU happy.

Rant over
Joe D
It is called "bantering", better this than discussing politics, right? Let us have our fun. We let you have your "rant" as you called it. Be well.

sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Yeah 'spark plugs' . Whatever.

Had the gas truck. Can't go back.

Load range 'E' tires: set of 4 lets say $ 1100, (maybe a little high)

Three gallons Rotella synthetic, & Fleetgard filter $72.

The smile on your face as you roll up (insert name of 'gap' or mountain) with ease with no worry for the down hillside, and the pleasant, reassuring, 'rattle, rattle, rattle ' as you pull into campsite after a easy 500 mile drive with your CTD D-Ram & AS. After a good nights sleep, do it all over again,

Priceless.

" Six in a row makes a Cummins go. "
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #47
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Can you say LOTUS? Being a Toyota guy, you know the answer.

My wife had a RAV Limited, was not cheep to maintain. Drank gas like a dunk sailor. Every time we turned around got another recall notice. 36k new 2008, sold 2016 w/under 70k, blue book 15k. Was not a good investment for us.

SUV's aren't exactly known for being, miserly? We can also thank the powers that be for watering our gas down with all that ethanol.

Annoying for sure, but...recalls don't generally cost anything?

At $36k, that was a very very pricey RAV! It did retain 41% of it's value after 8 years. If you believe that to be bad, you'd be flabbergasted at just about everything else. To Dexterpix point, cars are generally not known as investments.

Happy camping!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
Yeah 'spark plugs' . Whatever.

Had the gas truck. Can't go back.

Load range 'E' tires: set of 4 lets say $ 1100, (maybe a little high)

Three gallons Rotella synthetic, & Fleetgard filter $72.

The smile on your face as you roll up (insert name of 'gap' or mountain) with ease with no worry for the down hillside, and the pleasant, reassuring, 'rattle, rattle, rattle ' as you pull into campsite after a easy 500 mile drive with your CTD D-Ram & AS. After a good nights sleep, do it all over again,

Priceless.

" Six in a row makes a Cummins go. "

Good summation! Agreed

I guess it needs to be experienced by more people?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #49
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
I’ve been driving a 3/4 ton diesel for 2 years now and one big advantage , amongst all the others mentioned here, is the fact that when your towing you never have to worry about getting into tight space gas stations.
I only stop at truck stops. Flying J is the best, many more are very clean and have restaurants attached. There is always lots of room to pull your rig into and if the auto area looks too tight I simply pull into the fuel pumps with the big rigs, easy Peezy!
Can’t imagine being restricted to gasoline pumps in auto fuel stations, they often are too busy and too tight.
On the other hand the chances of not finding diesel, or finding diesel that might be suspect (water logged), in some desolate place is much greater than with gas. Generally can find gas anywhere. Of course the diesel goes farther per tank.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #50
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Aside from diesel repairs being far more expensive than gas, I've heard horror stories about diesel repairs taking a long time. Like someone rolling into a Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealer with a diesel issue and there being no mechanic available for a week or more.

Any diesel owners seeing that?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #51
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
There's a lot of liberty being taken in threads like these. I don't think you can compare an older diesel to the newer ones with emissions control. The gas mileage and repair costs on the older ones are far superior.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
There's a lot of liberty being taken in threads like these. I don't think you can compare an older diesel to the newer ones with emissions control. The gas mileage and repair costs on the older ones are far superior.

Agreed, the newer ones can get up into the 20’s mpg if you take all the emissions crap off. Problem is, it voids the warranty.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #53
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Aside from diesel repairs being far more expensive than gas, I've heard horror stories about diesel repairs taking a long time. Like someone rolling into a Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealer with a diesel issue and there being no mechanic available for a week or more.

Any diesel owners seeing that?
It depends on the model and the break-down location. With Ford, just as an example, all dealers should have techs trained up on the Powerstroke. With the new F150 diesel, Ford is expecting to sell no more than 5% of F150s with the diesel option, so typically dealers won't train up as many techs on that product, and parts could be more scarce in other than urban areas.

With the RAM, any dealer selling RAM trucks will be familiar with the Cummins. The VM Motori Ecodiesel OTOH may not have as many techs trained.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #54
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Gas vs Diesel costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
Agreed, the newer ones can get up into the 20’s mpg if you take all the emissions crap off. Problem is, it voids the warranty.

And it, um, destroys the environment and clean air us humans need to survive ...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #55
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
And it, um, destroys the environment and clean air us humans need to survive ...
What wulfraat said.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #56
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Gas vs Diesel costs

BTW - I own a latest generation diesel truck (‘17 duramax LP5), so don’t interpret my last post to mean that I am anti-diesel...

Personally - I totally appreciate the amount of engineering an innovation that was put into this brand new power plant - it is both the most ecologically friendly (as friendly as burning diesel can be given current emissions technology) and most powerful engine that GM have produced for a full sized 3/4 - 1 ton truck.

Burning diesel has nasty nasty pollution side effects if you don’t treat the output, and innovation has come a long way in doing so.

The LP5 like other next generation diesels does show that you can have it all (torque, HP, fuel economy, reduced emissions) if you put engineering behind the problem at hand.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
On a 1500 mile trip. Diesel gets 16mpg (94g used) and gas gets 12 mpg (125g used).
Diesel emits 2104 pounds of CO2 (assuming 22.38/g)
Gas emits 2455 pounds of CO2 (assuming 19.65/g)

I'm not seeing the destruction, unless you are not talking this particular Green House gas? Of course, your milage calcs my be different.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Not an argument, just that diesel gets a bad wrap because you can "see" it.

Todays diesel engines burn with less emissions (more particulates) than Gas.

Yes, taking the "crap" off affects those emissions but, significantly better MPG means less fuel burned as well. Does it wash?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #59
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Not an argument, just that diesel gets a bad wrap because you can "see" it.

Todays diesel engines burn with less emissions than Gas.

Yes, taking the "crap" off affects those emissions but, significantly better MPG means less fuel burned as well. Does it wash?
No, it doesn’t wash. Check the NOx, and particulates.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #60
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
On a 1500 mile trip. Diesel gets 16mpg (94g used) and gas gets 12 mpg (125g used).
Diesel emits 2104 pounds of CO2 (assuming 22.38/g)
Gas emits 2455 pounds of CO2 (assuming 19.65/g)

I'm not seeing the destruction, unless you are not talking this particular Green House gas? Of course, your milage calcs my be different.
Don't be too happy with that. The harmful to health diesel emissions are generally more the nitrogen oxides and particulates. Diesel exhaust has been identified as a carcinogen. So an additional thank you to those that rip the emissions devices off.

I'll sit on my high horse with a Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV II) tow vehicle. (Waiting for an EV guy to roast me )