Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #481
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Amen Brother! Not sure I even understand his (Slowmover) posts anymore! No current experience with today's technology, but an expert still, no doubt!

I get a kick out of reading the replies on TV questions, by folks who are the "experts" talking about TV's they have never towed with, comparing them to their own preference of TV. Today's mfg's. have built in some pretty impressive features for TV's. I really don't care what others want to use, but when posting about something they "have never experienced" and trying to come across as an expert on the newest technology in all driving conditions, it drives me nutz!
You don’t have experience anywhere comparable to mine. And you still fail on the basic physics involved.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #482
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
You cannot use exhaust brake in the wet? What? Been doing it for 40 years, very effectively.
We can cite all kinds of lax practices. Doesn’t excuse it. You probably excuse late braking as well.

Quote for us your operators manual on the subject.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #483
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I do know my fuel injected pickup doesn't have instant engine braking like carbureted pickups from the past when you let off of it, it keeps going for a short while. Must be an emission thing.
Diesel engines have more reciprocal weight than a gas engine but more compression to slow it down when you let off of it.
See operators manual about manual use of the automatic.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #484
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

Say what?? The exhaust brake provides a great advantage to slowing the vehicle...better than applying the wheel brakes which can slip/slide on some wet/frozen surfaces…the engine brakes provide a great addition to braking, but if you don't understand how/when to use it, or you don't have one to compare, I can understand your not quite seeing the benefits used in conjunction with the newest technology on todays diesel engines.
Please stay away from me and everyone else while on the road. The day your little pickemup engages antilock disc brakes on the trailer simultaneous with use of engine or exhaust brake you’ll be caught up to 2002.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #485
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gas verses Diesel Tow Vehicle

Gas 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #486
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Gas x2
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #487
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I see your gas x2 and raise you a gas to gas x3;

Unless you plan on travelling to Central or South America, where gas is expensive in comparison to diesel......but you wouldn't want a modern diesel down there anyway; you'd want my 1983 Isuzu turbo diesel, or a 12 valve Cummins, which is going into my 1975 Argosy 24' motorhome.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #488
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
I own a diesel and I vote gas. Yep, got a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with a 5 liter Cummins diesel in it. Excellent tow vehicle - plenty of power, quiet, extremely comfortable and all the usual gadgets. Never been to the dealer for anything -- no faults whatsoever.

Having said that: $80 worth of fuel filters every 10000 miles. Two and a half gallon oil changes. When it is regen, it is pretty smelly. Every diesel pump on earth has a puddle of spilled fuel in front so you can share that fine aroma all day. Diesel here $3.18, gas $2.15. Diesel mpg 13.5 towing, 19 solo. Gas mileage (per Titan Forums) 10 towing, 16 solo. Not to mention Cummins specifies no more than B10 for fuel and B20 is far more common and in some areas all you can find.

If a meteor hit my truck, I'd go buy the same one with the 5.6 liter Endurance gas engine. Had one in my first gen 2004 Titan and it ran 213000 trouble free miles for me (70000 towing).
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #489
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Please stay away from me and everyone else while on the road. The day your little pickemup engages antilock disc brakes on the trailer simultaneous with use of engine or exhaust brake you’ll be caught up to 2002.

Slowmover; you do realize that your comments are sometimes very confusing and certainly sound out of date when talking about technology of today's TV's? Why so condescending all the time when folks are posting info about the latest technology??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #490
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I own a diesel and I vote gas. Yep, got a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with a 5 liter Cummins diesel in it. Excellent tow vehicle - plenty of power, quiet, extremely comfortable and all the usual gadgets. Never been to the dealer for anything -- no faults whatsoever.

Having said that: $80 worth of fuel filters every 10000 miles. Two and a half gallon oil changes. When it is regen, it is pretty smelly. Every diesel pump on earth has a puddle of spilled fuel in front so you can share that fine aroma all day. Diesel here $3.18, gas $2.15. Diesel mpg 13.5 towing, 19 solo. Gas mileage (per Titan Forums) 10 towing, 16 solo. Not to mention Cummins specifies no more than B10 for fuel and B20 is far more common and in some areas all you can find.

If a meteor hit my truck, I'd go buy the same one with the 5.6 liter Endurance gas engine. Had one in my first gen 2004 Titan and it ran 213000 trouble free miles for me (70000 towing).
............Wow....with my 17 ram 4 x 4...6.7 comalong..we get 20- 21 empty....13-14 with the 13 31’ Classic....the trailer is around 7800 and the ram is 8900 lbs....not many gassers out here pulling trailers....we have passes.....and I don’t go over them with my flashers on....not gonna happen...my fuel filters costs are $100../ 25,000 miles...I purchased life time oil changes...for $850....I been around diesel trucks all my life...my next one will be diesel....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
With my first generation Titan, I never needed my flashers--3rd gear, 3800 RPM and I could climb right up the steepest hills (incl the Ike) at 60. Loud and you could almost see the gas gauge dropping but all parameters in the green...

In 70000 miles of towing, I am guesstimating that maybe 2% of my miles involved as much as a downshift.

My new Titan rolls right up those same hills with less fuss but I am dealing with all the petty annoyances of "life with diesel" for a less fussy 2% of my driving.

So, to each his own...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #492
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

I could just as easily talk myself out of owning an Airstram or whatever.
I am going to talk myself into keeping my 2017 F-250 Powerstroke. I love the power the dual batteries and alternators, they really come in handy when overnighting, I can load all my junk in the back and is a very safe vehicle pulling my 30' Classic. So there I am keeping it :-).
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #493
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
With my first generation Titan, I never needed my flashers--3rd gear, 3800 RPM and I could climb right up the steepest hills (incl the Ike) at 60. Loud and you could almost see the gas gauge dropping but all parameters in the green...

In 70000 miles of towing, I am guesstimating that maybe 2% of my miles involved as much as a downshift.

My new Titan rolls right up those same hills with less fuss but I am dealing with all the petty annoyances of "life with diesel" for a less fussy 2% of my driving.

So, to each his own...

Each to his own for sure. I love my diesel. I can't think of one negative. The perfect truck for my life and towing my Airstream. I know everyone on here seems to evaluate every detail of everything. Well that is not me. I have probably bought at least 3 new vehicles without even a test drive. "I'm coming down to to buy it....have it ready". Life is short.

I bought my 2019, F250 that way without a test drive or even seeing it.
Basically a detuned 350 (one leaf spring missing). One of my all time favorite vehicles to drive and to tow with. I know some will say I am justifying my expensive purchase. Well. No. I have heard (on here) I am also compensating for something. Well. Maybe. Who knows and who cares. If I am compensating for something missing in my life then it's even a better purchase than I thought.

Some of us for sure are wheel men for sure and others well..... I don't know but no matter what I drive I would make it work. The nice thing about my F250 is it does half the work and to me that makes it worth every penny!
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #494
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
............Wow....with my 17 ram 4 x 4...6.7 comalong..we get 20- 21 empty....13-14 with the 13 31’ Classic....the trailer is around 7800 and the ram is 8900 lbs....not many gassers out here pulling trailers....we have passes.....and I don’t go over them with my flashers on....not gonna happen...my fuel filters costs are $100../ 25,000 miles...I purchased life time oil changes...for $850....I been around diesel trucks all my life...my next one will be diesel....
You mean like how this diesel truck might need to?

https://youtu.be/YDY8obTyN9A?t=610

You diesel bros are missing the point. It's about HP. Not torque. Not diesel. Nor gas for that matter.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #495
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
You mean like how this diesel truck might need to?

https://youtu.be/YDY8obTyN9A?t=610

You diesel bros are missing the point. It's about HP. Not torque. Not diesel. Nor gas for that matter.
So say you......
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #496
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Listening to you gasser guys and diesel guys is quite funny, but when this truck becomes reality, it will change everything, and make your diesel hp and torque ft/lbs numbers look positively laughable.

Ultimately, electric is the way to go.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I agree with that. Once battery technology is improved and recharge time drops drastically it will be game over.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #498
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I agree with that. Once battery technology is improved and recharge time drops drastically it will be game over.

Let me tow my 6000# AS and fit another 1500# of human, canine, and gear while going 500 miles between charges, a 30 minute 100% recharge, and the ability to do 60-62 MPH for days....I’m all in!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #499
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Listening to you gasser guys and diesel guys is quite funny, but when this truck becomes reality, it will change everything, and make your diesel hp and torque ft/lbs numbers look positively laughable.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Looking forward to hearing how this all works for you. Please let us know after your purchase.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #500
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Choose your driving range: 300 miles, 400 miles, or 500 miles. All ranges are based on an unloaded truck, with no cargo or trailer weights

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action