Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #361
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I absolutely love towing with my diesel. The torque as mentioned and the engine brake is wonderful. If money is a concern then I guess you may want to look at other engines. I don't look at life that way and it never even crossed my mind. Or perhaps you don't like diesels which is fine. Diesel engines love to work so towing an Airstream is breeze with a 3/4 ton. As well, the view of the road is outstanding. I just love sitting up high in a big truck and I have heard people say we are compensating for something in our lives. All the places I live and spend my time are big open areas (ranches) or deep in the bush way away from most so I would actually stick out if I has some small suburban type of vehicle. The main thing is of all the vehicles I have owned driving my truck is the most satisfying of all of them. Not a big drag as some have mentioned because of some type of limitation they believe to be valid.

We all have opinions and mine is proven through endless mountain ranges. As well, before I got my diesel a couple of friends commented on how I am a driver and how I love to really drive so the diesel would be up my ally.

You often hear that once you have switched to a diesel for towing you will never go back and I have herd people say that because you have invested so much in your truck you need to compensate and make statements like that. Well I can tell you that is not my case. Buy what you like. Listen to people on here. Trust your friends with more experience than you and you will end up hopefully with the vehicle that does it all and is not something you have to settle with. My 2019 F250 is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I just love every minute in it with or without towing. The rest is just academic.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #362
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hey! Did you notice there's a boat on your roof!

Gypsydad

Sure is. Whether we camp with the Airstream or I solo tent camp with my Golf (gas turbo and 40 mpg) I always take a kayak and my bicycle.

First photo is on the Susquehanna River attending the LL World Series in Williamsport, PA. The second photo is in the Everglades NP.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	329655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	329656
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #363
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
The truth is a gasser will do you just fine. Are there advantages to a diesel, sure. Are there disadvantages to a diesel, sure.

We started out in a half ton has - went to 3/4 ton diesel - recently switched back to half ton gas. The legend and myth that you never go back to gas is a myth!

The exhaust brake on the diesel is fantastic,and the find of power when the turbos kick in isn’t bad either, but......A big diesel truck just made a terrible daily driver for us, and all the extras do add up.

Diesels don’t like short trips, and we take them, they ride rough, and are more expensive to maintain, both short and long term. Fuel filters every 10k, def fluid, and if you keep it long enough to get the extra money you paid upfront for the diesel, which is a really long time, you will likely have encountered an out of warranty expense or two which are very expensive on a diesel.

Think about how you’re going to use your tow vehicle when you aren’t towing, how long you’re going to keep it, daily and long term maintenance, etc. See how your answers add up, and go from there.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #364
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
No.

This is not a class/money thing. Sure some diesels are expensive. So are some gassers.

Having money to afford what you want is a great thing and I believe that is more your point.

Some people in the interest of saving gas to save money will opt for the diesel. There's numerous other trades here and it's not just about being able to purchase a diesel.

I can afford any of these. My vehicle is more expensive than any diesel 3/4-ton and 1-ton. You won't find me opting for the diesel, because I value other traits.

pteck just when we are agreeing on many things. Couple things come to mind and yes one is IMHO. I am thinking your Toyota is under 100k? We are not talking the Porsche. Ford has a 1 ton that is over 100k mark and more bells and whistles than your Toyota most likely. I would not buy it however others will. Personal opinion our 2016 RAM has prettier lines than your Toyota, but hey I had a 1983 Volvo 245 turbo wagon. Fastest telephone booth at the time as stated by Road and Track. IMHO from day one, Asian's vehicles not all however the majority have something just not right w/the styling. I know ugly needs loven too.

Be well, safe travels, and the best of regards..........
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
pteck just when we are agreeing on many things. Couple things come to mind and yes one is IMHO. I am thinking your Toyota is under 100k? We are not talking the Porsche. Ford has a 1 ton that is over 100k mark and more bells and whistles than your Toyota most likely. I would not buy it however others will. Personal opinion our 2016 RAM has prettier lines than your Toyota, but hey I had a 1983 Volvo 245 turbo wagon. Fastest telephone booth at the time as stated by Road and Track. IMHO from day one, Asian's vehicles not all however the majority have something just not right w/the styling. I know ugly needs loven too.

I think we'd agree that there'd be many that'd balk at a Yota or a Ford for anything near 100k. I have a tarted up and disguised Toyota.

Most won't understand the value proposition. Especially HD truck owners that say their trucks ride smooth. Well, I'll say they haven't got a clue as to how smooth, controlled, and relaxed a ride really can be. Both under tow and unladen.

But nothing rides smoother and looks better than an Airstream right? Even for 100k, worth every penny.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I know this varies over time, but I noticed a gas station sign today that had gas for $1.99 and diesel for $2.99. A $1/gallon differential (among other things) makes me glad I have a gasser.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Personal opinion our 2016 RAM has prettier lines than your Toyota, ....... IMHO from day one, Asian's vehicles not all however the majority have something just not right w/the styling. I know ugly needs loven
Says the guy with a goat head on his truck😂
Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

I think he has a Lexus, which is technically a Toyota but also is not a Toyota...
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #369
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I have just heard three more horror stories about Diesel engine failures, and the cost to repair. I think the cheapest one was $2500. These were all late model, but out of warranty repairs. I think if I owned a diesel I’d plan on trading it in before the warranty ran out. That and the $1 per gallon penalty to drive one will keep me in a gasser. I could get one, but I just don’t need one. And I don’t agree with an earlier comment about diesels being safer. The only time they have an advantage is coming down a mountain pass. I can’t think of another time. I just never get going that fast down the mountain to begin with. Both my brothers have 250 power strokes. I’ve always thought I’d end up with a diesel, and liked them. My son who works with the automotive industry bought a F250 with the big gas engine. Very capable truck. And comfortable.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #370
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I have just heard three more horror stories about Diesel engine failures, and the cost to repair. I think the cheapest one was $2500. These were all late model, but out of warranty repairs. I think if I owned a diesel I’d plan on trading it in before the warranty ran out. That and the $1 per gallon penalty to drive one will keep me in a gasser. I could get one, but I just don’t need one. And I don’t agree with an earlier comment about diesels being safer. The only time they have an advantage is coming down a mountain pass. I can’t think of another time. I just never get going that fast down the mountain to begin with. Both my brothers have 250 power strokes. I’ve always thought I’d end up with a diesel, and liked them. My son who works with the automotive industry bought a F250 with the big gas engine. Very capable truck. And comfortable.
As a huge diesel fan I agree with everything you stated.

Yes, in the old days, diesels were very simple engines and had major advantages over their gas brethren; from mpg, longevity, reliability, simplicity, ease of maintenance, and fuel expense. All that has changed and none for the better.

You want (NEED) to trade in a new modern diesel before the warranty is up.......$1,200 to $2,000 PER fuel injector, plus installation, multi thousands for high pressure fuel pumps, EGR system maintenance........the sensors; labour to diagnose and repair are leading to multi thousand dollar repair bills.

The only advantage, as you stated was if the diesel was equipped with an engine brake.....nice to have, but not neccessary for 99.99% of the time you have the truck. In fact, I'd loath to use it, just in case it fuffed up my engine.....brake pads are cheaper to buy by far, and diesel trucks and gasser trucks typically have the same brakes.

Your son was smart to buy a gasser and he's not the only one, as even big cooperations that typically bought 3/4 diesels are switching to gas models. Hydro One in Ontario hasn't bought a diesel 3/4 ton off Ford for years now; gassers are cheaper to buy and maintain.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I'm still putting my 1993 Cummins 12 valve into my Argosy, but praying diesel drops in price?

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #371
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington Heights , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I absolutely love towing with my diesel. The torque as mentioned and the engine brake is wonderful. If money is a concern then I guess you may want to look at other engines. I don't look at life that way and it never even crossed my mind. Or perhaps you don't like diesels which is fine. Diesel engines love to work so towing an Airstream is breeze with a 3/4 ton. As well, the view of the road is outstanding. I just love sitting up high in a big truck and I have heard people say we are compensating for something in our lives. All the places I live and spend my time are big open areas (ranches) or deep in the bush way away from most so I would actually stick out if I has some small suburban type of vehicle. The main thing is of all the vehicles I have owned driving my truck is the most satisfying of all of them. Not a big drag as some have mentioned because of some type of limitation they believe to be valid.

We all have opinions and mine is proven through endless mountain ranges. As well, before I got my diesel a couple of friends commented on how I am a driver and how I love to really drive so the diesel would be up my ally.

You often hear that once you have switched to a diesel for towing you will never go back and I have herd people say that because you have invested so much in your truck you need to compensate and make statements like that. Well I can tell you that is not my case. Buy what you like. Listen to people on here. Trust your friends with more experience than you and you will end up hopefully with the vehicle that does it all and is not something you have to settle with. My 2019 F250 is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I just love every minute in it with or without towing. The rest is just academic.

Amen brother!
rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #372
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I think if I owned a diesel I’d plan on trading it in before the warranty ran out.

Exactly my plan. I bought a 2016 Titan XD Diesel. At around 50,000 miles, it had a fuel sender issue, an $800 repair. I though I bought a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on the truck, but the dealer "took" me by giving me only the power-train warranty. I immediately traded that truck for a new 2017 with the factory 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.

My plan is to trade this new truck at, or before, 100,000 miles. I paid around $40,000 for this truck. That's $0.40 per mile depreciation, less whatever I get for the trade. I traded my 2016 in at a $10,000 loss with 50,000 miles, or just a $0.20 per mile loss. I'd gladly trade my 2017 for a $0.20 per mile cost and reset the 100,000 mile warranty if the opportunity arises. Worst case, I will run it 100,000 miles and take whatever I get for it at that time. I will not own a modern diesel truck that is out of warranty.

I am impressed when I hear others getting 400,000+ miles out of their modern diesels. Hopefully experiences like this will help my truck hold its value at, or before, 100,000 miles when I trade it in.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #373
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
If you guys think a gas engine is cheap to fix and a diesel is expensive to fix, you’ve got another thought coming. They are all expensive to fix. If you can’t afford or don’t hqve the skills to maintain it don’t buy it.

There are tuners and other mods that will extend the life of a Diesel engine if you do a little research. The rest is knowing how to do maintenance. And I don’t mean lifetime dealer oil changes with garbage oil and cheap filters.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Says the guy with a goat head on his truck😂
I ordered replacement non-ram’s-head emblems for my grille and tailgate online for $70. It would cost a lot more than that to fix the fish-mouth front end on a Toyota or Lexus 😂
Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #375
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I have just heard three more horror stories about Diesel engine failures, and the cost to repair. I think the cheapest one was $2500. These were all late model, but out of warranty repairs.

This citation is not accurate without the year, make, model, engine and basic description of the failures.

My personal fleet of diesels 2005 Dodge Ram 5.9L has 199K and a 2000 VW Beetle 1.9L TDI is at 389K both manuals.

I’ve done normal maintenance on both and timing belt system replacements on the VW. I’m the wrench master.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I ordered replacement non-ram’s-head emblems for my grille and tailgate online for $70. It would cost a lot more than that to fix the fish-mouth front end on a Toyota or Lexus ��
From my eyes, I get to enjoy an exquisite interior with my derriere cradled and cooled in the comfort of fine semi-aniline leather. Perhaps passing a satanic goat head broken down on the shoulder every now and then tarnishing the scenery.

Beats roughing it in a work truck.

pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #377
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I think if I owned a diesel I’d plan on trading it in before the warranty ran out.

Exactly my plan. I bought a 2016 Titan XD Diesel. At around 50,000 miles, it had a fuel sender issue, an $800 repair. I though I bought a 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on the truck, but the dealer "took" me by giving me only the power-train warranty. I immediately traded that truck for a new 2017 with the factory 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.

My plan is to trade this new truck at, or before, 100,000 miles. I paid around $40,000 for this truck. That's $0.40 per mile depreciation, less whatever I get for the trade. I traded my 2016 in at a $10,000 loss with 50,000 miles, or just a $0.20 per mile loss. I'd gladly trade my 2017 for a $0.20 per mile cost and reset the 100,000 mile warranty if the opportunity arises. Worst case, I will run it 100,000 miles and take whatever I get for it at that time. I will not own a modern diesel truck that is out of warranty.

I am impressed when I hear others getting 400,000+ miles out of their modern diesels. Hopefully experiences like this will help my truck hold its value at, or before, 100,000 miles when I trade it in.

AirMiles

Very interesting based on one data point. For my gasser data point, I paid $25,000 for my 2008 Tundra ($5k rebate) that now has 100,000 miles. I figure that it is worth about $10,000 to $15,000 so depreciation cost is about $.10 to $.15 per mile. This is pretty cheap depreciation but to be fair your depreciation cost of $.20 per mile isn’t bad either. The difference is that I expect my Tundra to last until 300,000 miles with minimal repairs. It doesn’t sound like you expect your diesel truck to last 300,000 miles with minimal repairs.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #378
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I ordered replacement non-ram’s-head emblems for my grille and tailgate online for $70. It would cost a lot more than that to fix the fish-mouth front end on a Toyota or Lexus 😂
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me the kisser on the RAM, prior to this year, is Butt ugly. 😄
Old 12-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
From my eyes, I get to enjoy an exquisite interior with my derriere cradled and cooled in the comfort of fine semi-aniline leather. Perhaps passing a satanic goat head broken down on the shoulder every now and then tarnishing the scenery.

Beats roughing it in a work truck.

Well mine is cradled, heated and cooled also, with bluetooth and Alpine sound system and a nice Cummins rumbling under the hood. If you see it by the side of the road I’m probably putting out a fire or pulling something smaller out of a ditch. A Lexus just wouldn’t look right in that situation but they do look good at a tofu stand or nestled in a Starbucks parking lot lol. And when I visit an OEM plant mine is nicely intact when I come out.

Just kidding of course; these threads do get ridiculous but they are fun. Toyota’s been making cars forever and they know how to do it. Just not my cup of tea. They also employ lots of folks here. Too bad about that sheep head emblem on the Ram and they are making it even bigger now. I’m surprised the eyes don’t light up��
Old 12-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #380
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
If you guys think a gas engine is cheap to fix and a diesel is expensive to fix, you’ve got another thought coming. They are all expensive to fix. If you can’t afford or don’t hqve the skills to maintain it don’t buy it.

There are tuners and other mods that will extend the life of a Diesel engine if you do a little research. The rest is knowing how to do maintenance. And I don’t mean lifetime dealer oil changes with garbage oil and cheap filters.
That’s exactly why I drive Toyota’s. Routine maintenance on all of them up to 250,000 miles. These fleets mentioned in a previous post switching to gas from diesel are doing so for a reason. More than likely it’s because of overall cost.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote