Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #121
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Correct, that in addition to averaging profit margins.
There is a locked in segment of the rolling stock that must by Diesel.
When the gasoline market heats up competitively the mark up is raised on Diesel to compensate.
In a real world situation without political gerrymandering Diesel would all ways be cheaper.
When the home heating oil market heats up (pun not intended) diesel prices rise due to increased demand.

In a real world situation fuels would be priced by energy content and so diesel would be 5% more expensive than gasoline on a volumetric basis (or 3% more expensive if sold by kg).
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
#1: buy whatever you want, it’s your money
have fun with whatever you buy, because tow vehicles ain’t cheap. If you feel some tearing need to tell everyone who picked something other than your particular engine or truck that they made a terrible decision, I suggest you look inward and consider your motivation.
Well said.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I was in your shoes one year ago today when we purchased our 25FB and started reading the posts. It drove me crazy and you can see some of my questions and the patient answers from others on this forum.

First - the people here are exceptional. Hands down; opinionated as we alll are but in a friendly helpful way.

If you will be spending significant time on steep and long grades, with a fully loaded rig, then when your transmission temps are running high on a hot day coming down the Smokies or Rockies, the diesel exhaust assist button will feel like a blanket of safety. I ran it with and without and can tell you the family all around sings the praises of a diesel brake.

Having also tried the route of a gas engine that others never had a problem towing my 25FB with, I’d say that we’ve concluded that there are many ways to get from point A to B. We prefer slight overkill as when the quirky combination of hill, temps, wind and rain start while you are committed to the path ahead, you will wish you went for the safety margin.

As to Ford or GM, honestly our decision turned on how the crew can interior served our needs. The hump in the GM was a deal killer while the locking gun case and flat floor of the Ford made the difference. Either company makes a fine pickup vehicle and I can say that after 3 months of test driving 8 vehicles. Go with whichever is prettier, cost effective and has a configuration you like. I’ve owned both makes in gas and diesel. As to DEF, it’s a $12 box of blue that you put in periodically. Easy to do, A whole lot of complaints over nothing at all.

In the end, our F250 diesel was the right choice for us.

Just stay within 90pct of your calculated payload. I’ve read the “internet” advice of people saying they’ve never worried about payload specs and it’s been fine and found myself pulled backwards up a hill driving a gas engine that was just at payload three months into our ownership.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
We have two Dodge diesels one 2000 dually other 2001 3/4 town pull 30 foot Classic. The dually handles trailer much better. I have had several trailers and 3/4 ton single axle trucks in past years. Dually is by far the best. Now as to gas or diesel your choice. Easy way is in your spare time sometime go on any major interstate wayside. Count the trucks pulling all types trailers and you see more diesels than gas. Let you try to firgure out why.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Another fan of the diesel exhaust brake. When you are going down Red Man pass or Wolf Creek pass you will really be grateful for the exhaust brake. The last time we went down Red Man pass, we never had to use our brakes, as the exhaust brake performed perfectly.
As for the DEF issue, it lasts a few thousand miles, depending upon driving conditions. Have not added any in about 2,000 miles and it still shows a normal level.

Rick
Old 01-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman View Post
We have two Dodge diesels one 2000 dually other 2001 3/4 town pull 30 foot Classic. The dually handles trailer much better. I have had several trailers and 3/4 ton single axle trucks in past years. Dually is by far the best. Now as to gas or diesel your choice. Easy way is in your spare time sometime go on any major interstate wayside. Count the trucks pulling all types trailers and you see more diesels than gas. Let you try to firgure out why.

Ditto,
Traveling frequently between Forida and the Midwest I frequently come across guys delivering brand new SOB travel trailers. I have yet to see one that wasn't diesel. I have seen 3/4 tons 1 tons SW, DW all diesel however.
Granted these men or on the road constantly but on the flip side those of us who hit the road infrequently can use the extra safety margin just the same you get from beefier vehicle. Just having the extra bulk and weight front of your AS makes for a more relaxing and safer travel.
And since you starting fresh skip the two step TV acquisition like many of us did.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #127
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
No doubt a guy making a living towing trailers day in and day out is better suited with a diesel. I don't think the answer is so clear cut for the occasional puller.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Ditto,
Traveling frequently between Forida and the Midwest I frequently come across guys delivering brand new SOB travel trailers. I have yet to see one that wasn't diesel. I have seen 3/4 tons 1 tons SW, DW all diesel however.
Granted these men or on the road constantly but on the flip side those of us who hit the road infrequently can use the extra safety margin just the same you get from beefier vehicle. Just having the extra bulk and weight front of your AS makes for a more relaxing and safer travel.
And since you starting fresh skip the two step TV acquisition like many of us did.
Definitely want a 3/4 or 1 ton. If I towed once a year I would still have one.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Another fan of the diesel exhaust brake. When you are going down Red Man pass or Wolf Creek pass you will really be grateful for the exhaust brake. The last time we went down Red Man pass, we never had to use our brakes, as the exhaust brake performed perfectly.
As for the DEF issue, it lasts a few thousand miles, depending upon driving conditions. Have not added any in about 2,000 miles and it still shows a normal level.

Rick
You can also get all that DEF stuff removed as soon as you’re out of warranty if so inclined.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
My post on Red Man pass should have said Red Mountain pass which is the pass from Ouray to Silverton as many people know. Sorry for my mistake. Fighting a bad sinus infection and did not think clearly.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #131
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You can also get all that DEF stuff removed as soon as you’re out of warranty if so inclined.
Yes, there are all sorts of laws one can break if one is so inclined. Suggesting people do so is irresponsible IMO.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Yes, there are all sorts of laws one can break if one is so inclined. Suggesting people do so is irresponsible IMO.
Not suggesting anything, people are free to do as they wish. I’m not responsible (or irresponsible ) for what people do, even nowadays.

I’m a lot more worried about people flying up and down mountain passes in 15,000 lb rigs than I am about a little diesel smoke.

*disclaimer: I wouldn’t do it personally. It’s illegal for anyone to tamper with smog equipment.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
$850 for a lifetime of oil changes stops at the end of the engine warranty, and fine if you never are away from your dealer when you need an oil change.
Wrong on both counts...as long as I own it, Lithia has 54 dealerships around the country, East and the west coast....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #134
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Walhalla , South Carolina
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbuford View Post
I bet no one has ever asked this question!
I am a complete "newby" planning to purchase a used 25-28 foot Airstream.
My wife and I plan to take off a year from now and spend at least a year touring the USA, staying in National Parks and seeing all that we can.
I will definately go to the Rocky Mountains and want to be sure we have a reliable vehicle that will slow us down on the steep declines. We also plan to live full time in our Airstream for at least a year and hope we can keep going for many more years.
MY QUESTION:
DIESEL OR GAS?
I have looked at a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4 with a Vortek 6.0L V-8 with a 6 speed Automatic Heavy duty transmisson THAT IS NOT A DIESEL, and a GMC 2016 Sierra2500 Crew Cab 4WD that is a Diesel.
The dealerships are telling me that the new high displacement gas engines are just as good as the diesel, and that they can handle even a 8,000 pound 28 foot Airstream easily. Two different salesmen at the dealerships say I am overdoing it with the GMC Diesel, and that the large gas engine can handle up to 14,000 Pounds. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your sage advice!!!
And now, as the person who started this string up, I thought I would tell everyone the decision we made. This forum is fantastic. There is so much help here! My wife and I were unbelievably blessed with finding a GARAGE KEPT 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel that looks like it just came off the showroom floor! The headlights are clear as glass due to not being outside much! I am in love with this truck! Three days later, we bought a 2007 Airstream Classic in excellent condition and towed it 180 miles to our house and were very glad we got a diesel 2500, and did not listen to the salesman at the dealership who tried to sell us a lesser truck that was on his lot. We did stop and buy a weight distribution hitch before we took off.
I am very happy with this tow vehicle. I even like how it growls when you slow down while towing! This truck pulls our Airstream like it was hardly there. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!! lesbuford
lesbuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #135
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Congratulations, great finds on both counts, here's to many safe miles being travelled with them!
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #136
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Congrats on the garage find. That's great and it will serve very well.

Your classic, does it have disc brakes? If so there was two recalls on brakes. Let us know if you need further info.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #137
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Bryan, Really like the truck topper you have. I'd like to order it for my truck. Can I contact you directly by email or phone? I would like to see if I can order something very similar. It looks like you have hatches to access what is in the bed. My email address is lesbuford@hotmail.com We have the exact truck down to the color. Thanks. Les Buford
Old 02-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #138

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbuford View Post
Hi Bryan, Really like the truck topper you have. I'd like to order it for my truck. Can I contact you directly by email or phone? I would like to see if I can order something very similar. It looks like you have hatches to access what is in the bed. My email address is lesbuford@hotmail.com We have the exact truck down to the color. Thanks. Les Buford

Hi Les,

Congratulations on your new Airstream and tow vehicle. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with them.

As to our topper, it is made by Swiss Cap in Patriot, Indiana. I will email you with all of the details.

Here are a couple of more pictures.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1641.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	303757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1642.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	303758  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #139
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
yes, please tell me about the recall on the brakes. I have hydraulic disc brakes on my 28foot Classic Limited. I have not yet tested the brakes properly. Also, can you recommend a good owners manual? I don't have any books at all on this. I am the third owner. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #140
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I like the exhaust tube for the generator, and the hatches on the side, especially the one for the tools!!!