Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Full Size Pickups and Brand Loyalty

At a dealer lot the other day, specifics don’t matter, and a brand new of the “other” was on the lot with less than 10k on the clock. According to the salesman, his customer hated it and traded it in for another. It had me thinking about brand loyalty.

Super curious about brand preferences and history here. Statistically, the big three have been GM, then Ford, and somewhat distant third Ram for total sales. Mopar Dodge/Ram have been pegged the “most brand loyal” despite their many ownership changes. They say pickup drivers are often the most brand loyal, some stats make that a shaky argument.

For the first time in my life, I am at least, slightly, considering the other two options. I am rational enough at least to know that brand loyalty has many costs that can often outweigh the benefits of the known.

For as long as possible let’s avoid the the arguments of gas v diesel and which brand is “better, and the always popular half-three-one ton debate.

How long have you been driving, how many pickups have you owned, and how many of those were TVs?

Which brand have you owned the most and how many in a row?

Have you ever switched after having at least three of one make?

Have you ever owned all three?

If you ever left brands, did you return?

What did your grandpas, your dad, your in-law drive?

For each make, what is the mean number of years per pickup?
Old 05-31-2023, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
How long have you been driving, how many pickups have you owned, and how many of those were TVs?

I have been driving for 23years. I have owned 4 pickups, and three of them were TVs

First three were Dodges and the last a Ram. I don’t agree with the Make change.

No

No

Grandpa had a Chevy once and then 6 Dodges after. Dad and step dad both were all over the place. Step dad mostly had Fords and dad mostly non full sized. Father in law had four Chevys and then switched to Dodge because he worked for Cummins and has had two Cummins pickups; a part of wants to buy a Ford just to mess with him and anytime I think I like the GMs I think of how much I don’t like my brother in law and he would certainly have a lot to spew if I did but one.

5.75 years per pickup for me, but only one was new. However, my second truck was the donor to re-power my grandpa’s truck I rescued and I still own and drive it after 20 years. Latest TV has 7 seasons on her and it’s the first one I have ever owned new. Maybe this question is flawed and should have only asked about new or maybe miles would have been better. I avoid miles because my ‘85 crew with ‘91 running gear had its OD break at 261k 15 years ago and well the little plastic gears had been hard to find for a long time and now that there are people making them again, well what’s the point?
Thiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
That's a lot of questions.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I’ve owned/driven/towed-with pickup trucks for over 55 years.
I’ve owned three Fords…two of them F150’s…the last one, a ‘78 model I owned for 20 years…..and I thought I was a Ford addict.
I’ve owned one GMC C20…also a ‘78 model…nothing more than a re-badged Chevy. I hated the sorry body corrosion problems, likely will never own another, but new models are probably cured of that.
I’ presently own a 2012 Ram 1500. I like it very much, especially the crew cab w/ramboxes.

Grandad preferred Fords (flat head V8s) Dad preferred Dodge, Uncle preferred Mercury p/u.

It is unfair to rely upon those statistics to determine the “best” of the group because over 55 years they were each later-model trucks which superseded the engineering designs of the previous one….so there’s no “apples to apples” comparison….. Way too much improvements each decade to compare to previous decade models, regardless of brand.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I've been driving for twenty-two years and have owned two pickups plus one 2500 Suburban (big boy 454). I've owned an ungodly number of vehicles for my age, though....eleven or twelve, I believe.

Both pickups were black F-150s. My 2500 Suburban was a GMC, back when they were still called Suburbans. Only my current pickup has been an RV tow vehicle, but I have towed all sorts of utility trailers, big and small, with my old F-150, my Suburban, a couple Land Cruisers (Lexus LX) and even a Ford Escape.

I grew up in a pretty loyal GM house. While I don't consider myself to be too brand loyal, I have had great experiences with both of my F-150s and will look there first the next time around. I greatly prefer half tons for daily driving, and Ford has been doing the "heavy half" category better than anyone else for a long time. Getting 1800+ payload from a half ton doesn't leave many options, and Ford does this well. My wife also drives a Ford now. I would be unlikely to consider anything other than a Ford or GM truck, though.
zackro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
We just went through this. I started with GM products bc back in those days there was a GM plant in the next town. But after my 1987 Suburban rusted away to nothing & they had a class action suit which resulted in free paint jobs, but you had to pay to get all the body work done, I swore never to buy another GM product. 36 years later, we have purchased 11 fords in a row. However we just traded in our 2019 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost heavy half with max tow package at 102,000 miles- way earlier than we counted on. First 100,000 miles trouble free. 500 miles later, major engine trouble. So now we're getting an f250 tomorrow. But if this one doesn't do us any better, it will be the last ford
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I have been driving for 40+ years. Have owned pickups my whole driving life. All 4 majors (Ford,Chevy,GMC,Dodge) and Toyota, Nissan (small trucks). All have been TV. Since 2000 I have only purchased Dodge/Ram (5) 3/4 ton specifically for the Cummins. Have owned past versions of diesel from other manufacturers and all 3 left me stranded. The Cummins has never, which is probably were my loyalty to it comes from. I keep my trucks till they have 225k miles then replace with other new.

All company's make lemons and all companies make solid trucks. I think the comfort of familiarity is more of a factor than anything else. Most people hate having to figure new control systems out, so we gravitate towards what we know. Even new trucks 4 or 5 years newer than your current one will still be familiar if you stay in the same brand, lazy is more powerful than loyalty I find.

On a side note, I do have my 1989 GMC square body, 1 ton, dually, gas job still. I plow my driveway and use as a yard truck. Not the prettiest thing in the yard, but loves to work!!

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I bought two Fords in a row for towing, mostly because I was already familiar with it. For non-towing I owned two Suburbans in the early 2000's (mostly for hauling three large dogs in the A/C) and a Dodge with a V10 in the 90's. I don't have much brand loyalty and overall in vehicles I have owned....dang, 14 different makes of vehicles!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
I have only had 2 trucks. Both fords. The first was a 96’ diesel f250 and it was a good truck. I sold it after 10 years and drove cars for the next 15 years and worked like a dog. Now I’m able to spend more time doing what I like so I got a 22’ f150 3.5 EB with max payload package and I like it more than the 250 diesel I had.

Every time I owned a GM I had good well worn walking shoes. The GM cars I had were so bad I can’t bring myself to buy their trucks. If I had bought a 6.0/6.4 diesel ford I probably would never own another ford but I dodged that era. I like ram diesels but always can not bring myself to spend the money for it. I guess that makes me a ford fan boy.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:07 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We don't do Pick'em'up Trucks...

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D44DE17D-C13C-4C87-BD03-F6DF992F0B43_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	432564   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FBE34BF-3034-4354-8CDB-2751D2410A85_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	432565  

Name:	0A86007B-49D6-442D-94C4-AECCABC1C604_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	432566  
Old 06-01-2023, 06:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve towed with multiple vehicles over the years, including at least one from each of the big 3 truck manufacturers. My last two pickup trucks have been GMC trucks, and they have been excellent. When the time comes to buy another truck, it will almost certainly be another GMC. My experience with other brands (albeit not all pickup trucks) hasn’t been as good. My experience with quality and reliability with one brand in particular has been poor enough that I won’t buy another one.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky

I have been driving 38 years.

Owned 3 pickups.
Ford Ranger, Jeep J20 and Dodge 2500 (current). 2 tow vehicles

What did previous generations own?
Grandpa (both sides) never had trucks but always owned Chrysler products. Dad had a Jeep farm truck but drove company cars (Dodge and GM). Back in the day Dad would purchase his old company car and Mom would drive this. In later years after Dad retired Mom finally got her Cadillac but now has a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My story. I absolutely loved my old Jeep J20 pickup. It sat low to the ground which was great for working and everyday use, 4wd which went unbelievable places on the farm and I would buy another if they were still made.
I usually own all my vehicles for a long time. I can't say I am brand loyal but it seems that I am more comfortable in the "devil I know", so if I were purchasing another truck today it would likely be a Ram. The truck I have is a great tow vehicle or traveling long distance solo vehicle though I wouldn't mind if it had a few more bells and whistles.

I have nothing against other brands. All of them will have some issue no matter the brand. All are pretty good if you keep up with the maintenance. Recently I have ridden in both a GM and Ford 3/4 ton truck and both had things I really liked and of course things I didn't like.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Plymouth , Michigan
I'm in the Ford camp...never wavered to any other brand...
1987 Ford Ranger I-4 4x4, not a TV
1991 F-150 I-6 4x4, not a TV
1994 F-150, V8 not a TV
2004 F-350 V10 4x4 stick, used for in bed camper, plowing
2008 F-350 V10 4x4, in bed camper, plowing
2011 F-350 V8 diesel 4x4, in bed camper, plowing
2018 F-350 V8 diesel 4x4, in bed camper, AS TV, plowing
2022 F-350 V8 7.3 gasser 4x4, AS TV, plowing

Ford, IMO, makes the toughest pickups. GM, Dodge, and the Asian makers didn't/don't compare on many facets. (F-series franchise is legendary for a reason.)
I'm the first and only pickup owner in my family.
SVTRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:58 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My in-laws...

...DW's maternal grandmother's first new new car, '53 Crestline Victoria, and yes she towed a Scamp, and the whole Family camped in the Adirondacks.

Bob
🇺🇸

It's still in the Family and like us, it's unrestored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41FECCFA-6B74-4F39-A784-8DA159D517E0_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	432581   Click image for larger version

Name:	50DCEEA7-E52E-48ED-9283-E073497D427A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	432582  

Old 06-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Dad's first pickup was a 55 with a 292, he built a slide in camper and we toured all over the Rocky Mts in it. Next truck was a 62 F250 that he modified to no end. He put in a 427 Ford, a five speed manual transmission with a one ton 2 speed rear end. Again a slide in camper but he also towed a Jeep Utility wagon behind it. Great truck but milage sucked. It would go over Eisenhower pass a 65 mph. He then went for motorhomes but last pickup was a F250 4x4 with a 460.

My older brother had an F150 4x4 ecoboost but it didn't have enough suds to pull the toy hauler he bought so he traded up to a Ford 4x4 F250 diesel which he tows his current fifth wheel trailer with..

My younger brother tows his SOB with a Chevy 1500.

I started towing with my 59 Jeep Utility Wagon. I put in a Chevy 350, turbo 400 trans with Dana model 44 front and rear diffs. My son currently has the Willy's.
My second tow vehicle was a 99 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2 litre that I originally towed my Globetrotter with but it was getting tired with over 200k on the meter. I sold it for an obscene price and bought my current 2017 Ram 1500 4x4. Much better towing experience then the Dakota.

My son tows his SOB with a new Jeep Wagoneer that is pure luxury.

Lots of inner family rivalry on which is best, but it's all in good fun. Sadly pop passed several years ago and no one in the family wanted the F250 with the 460 in it so we sold it.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
Been driving well over 50 years and owned the following trucks and vans

Two 1960 F100 Fords.
Chevy 1965 C10
Three El Caminos 1960, 64, 70 SS
1977 Chevy Crew Cab C2500,
2006 Silverado Crew Cab, 1/2 T
1975 GMC 'Jimmy'
1974 Dodge Van, T100
2015 Chevy Express Van, 3500

I currently own the 2006 Silverado since new and the Express. Both have performed well towing my 25' FC with the Express as the primary TV.
No problems beyond normal maintenance.

The 64 El Camino pulled boats to the Colorado River until the 283 expired at 430,000 miles. Was my Father-n-laws boat shop truck before he gave it to me at 300,000 miles. One valve job in its life

The 77 Chevy carried a large cab over camper.

The 74 Dodge was the only lemon. Bought it new and it was gone in 6 months. Never bought a Chrysler product since.

Been driving GM products since the early eighties but probably won't buy anything new from now on. If anything it will be another mid 60s Chevy / GMC like the 64-66 Chevy pulling an Airstream that I saw briefly on the other side of the freeway last weekend.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Driving for 45 years now. Got a CDL with air brake endorsement 40 years ago. Like Bob, we don’t do pickup trucks, apart from a heavy duty Toyota Hilux in our case, and which we didn’t tow with.

We had Ford family connections, both dealership and Ford factory reps, so lots of Fords, not just out of habit but because we bought them through a contact in the fleet department. Actually, the Toyota pickup came from the same Ford dealer fleet department. Eight Fords in a row, including two Explorers and two Expeditions, three of which we towed with.

Ford pickups in the family business, including service and tow trucks, but didn’t own those personally.

We went on to BMWs; six of them including two SUVs, both of which we towed with. Built a strong connection with the dealership.

Then BMW decided to ignore the global shift to BEVs, so on to Tesla. Model Y, set up to tow, but as Gypsy likes to remind me, no Airstream. If we bought another vehicle today, it would be a Tesla.

After a bad experience with a Ford diesel in the family business tow truck, both brothers went on to RAM diesel pickups. One had three in quick succession due to transmission failures. Dealer took the first one back and he got one with the Aisan. It failed soon after IIRC. Third RAM had a manual. Other brother had better luck.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
An earlier poster mentioned that comparing new trucks today with what someone in your family drove decades ago is a fools errand. All brands have made huge improvements in all categories. I have been driving for just about 55 years now and am more interested in dependability than ever. I have had friends who ran out and bought a new ecoboost praising the mileage. Well, both of them found themselves on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck because of the new engine design. As a matter of fact Ford has the highest rate of recalls and warranty work as of last year and this is a per capita number not a total. I avoid Ford. All the rest probably would fit in the next category. I used to tow a tent trailer with a 4 cylinder Mazda PU. It would pull it up a steep logging road into a remote lake without issue. Getting it down the hill was a real challenge. I purchased a new Ford Explorer and this thing could hardly get it up the hill. It would overheat and had little power. I also lost all of the transmission fluid on one trilp. It was a lemon for sure. I traded it in on a Toyota 4Runner. No problem towing up and no problem bringing it down. I drove this for a long time before getting a larger 4Runner with a V8 as I was getting a bigger trailer. My first Tundra followed that in 2007 and I am on my second Tundra, a 2017 that I still am towing with it. All 4 of my Toyotas have not caused a single issue. I usually drive them for 6 years or more before I move on. My cousin drives GMC's and loves his and they have been good for him. Dependability is even more important to me as I get older. You have a tough decision ahead. I do believe that there are some very good choices out there.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
At a dealer lot the other day, speci
For as long as possible let’s avoid the the arguments of gas v diesel and which brand is “better, and the always popular half-three-one ton debate.

check out the Pickup forums and some of the online reviews like this one:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ks-for-towing/

more here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have owned an E150 that I towed a boat with, an F150 3.5 Ecoboost, and a GMC 2500 Duramax. The F150 was a great truck but despite my best efforts to spec a TV for my 25FC FB it didn't have enough payload. I traded it at 16K miles for the GMC. I thought I was a Ford guy but in 2016 the F250 wheel base I needed was only offered with a 26 gal tank and a larger Transferflow wouldn't fit either. The equivalent Ram was 7" longer and would not a fit in the garage very well, and, at the time, I liked the GMC dealer better than the Chevy dealer. I think the three domestic 2/3 diesels are essentially equivalent and I'd probably be happy with any of them. I can say for sure that I love the Duramax. It's unlikely that I will need another TV but if I do I'll shop for the best features for me, not the brand.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote