Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Front End Protection for Tow Vehicle

Fellow Airstreamers,

I've searched the web, and the RAM forums, the Dodge dealership, and now turn to you for input.

We are contemplating a trip to Alaska next season and heard about the condition of some of the roads. (granted the Alaskan Highway is in "pretty good shape", some others, not so much)

In the hopes of protecting the grill, hood and radiator of our 2012 Ram 2500 from rocks chips or worse, we thought it prudent to purchase a nose guard/bra for the front of the rig. Regrettably, as I mentioned earlier, I've searched and I've searched but have been unsuccessful in my efforts.

Have any of you in AS-land come across such a product for a 2500, RAM or otherwise?

If so where did you find it?

Thanks

Logrider
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Also interested in this information as we are signed up for the 2016 Alaska Caravan.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
You might want to get Iron Bull bumpers with built-in provision for a winch.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You can always do this, or something similar. I'd also be concerned about protecting the front of the trailer, having read about people taping shipping blankets over the front windows and body segments.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
here's the link
Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgardâ„¢ Pro Series Paint Protection Film
Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If I were to travel the same roads, and I know people that have done the Dalton highway, I would buy a cheap grille guard, such as this one. The reason for a cheap one is that you will be drilling holes into it.

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Go Rhino 3000-Series Grille Guard - Euro Style StepGuard

I would then buy a sheet of 1/8" Lexan which I would fabricate and bend with a heat gun into shape. I would afix the cut pieces to the back of the grille guard and have the Lexan rising up above the hood by 3-4". Do pieces for the headlamps and the one for the grille drill 1/2" holes spaced 1/2" apart for ventilation to the rad. Lexan will not break as it is bulletproof.

The Lexan is clear but will eventually get damaged by rocks and dust. You could do a 3M film protection over the headlamp ones if you wish to try and keep them as clear as possible. If not, make some spares.

A 1/8" Lexan shield for the Airstream could also be fabricated up but would require mounting pylons on the trailer. These pylons could be temporary, but the cost to mount the shield could save a lot more money in the end, by not having to replace rock damaged panels.

Please remember to carry as many spare tires as you can. The Dalton is very hard on tires and with no service centers around help could be a very long way away. Also invest in one of those ramps that lifts the flat wheel up off the road allowing you to change the wheel.

Cheers and be safe
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Here is my take after 30+ years and countless trips on the AK highway and at least 30k miles towing the AS on it and in state. For your drive up here do what you do everywhere to protect your AS and Ram. We have nothing extra other than a hood deflector and oversized mud flaps on the rear tires of our 3500 Ram. I believe rock from on coming traffic will be minor compared to getting used to dealing with frost heaves and pot holes on our roads as to damage to your trailer. If you really are traveling on gravel, like the Top of the World to Dawson or the Denali Hwy, you really need to slow down as gravel roads really heat up tires. I don't see much reason to travel the Dalton with your AS. The is minimal camping and most is from Coolfoot south. A good part of the road to Coldfoot is paved. If you want to see this part of the interior you can take a day trip from Fairbanks to the Yukon or Arctic Circle rest stop. If you want to see the Arctic Ocean, there is no pubic access so you need to book with Northern Alaska Tour co even jf you get yourself up there. To me the best bet is leave your AS in Fairbanks and do one of their fly/drive Tours from here.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If you want the best go to the South Texas Outfitters | Your vehicle should stand out in a crowd. , or you can also get a decent bumper from Ranch Hand | Be on the safe side . I have the Texas Outfitters front and rear bumper and couldn't be happier. Not only does it protect from rocks, it is virtually deer and hog proof. Check my avitor out.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
What we used

In August 1999 we spent 2 1/2 months traveling 10,000 miles from CO via the Alaska Highway over Top of the World road, to Fairbanks and Deadhorse, then to Denali, Homer, Seward, Valdez, McCarthy, Haines, Skagway (by ferry), Cassiar Highway to Hyder and finally back to CO.

You probably won't get over 55 mph and some places such as the Cassiar Hiway not over 35 due to all the frost heaving. What few trucks we saw on the Dalton Rd to Deadhorse slowed and waved as if they hadn't seen anyone in weeks. I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer passed the BLM campground north of Coldfoot though. No places to pull off for maybe 300 miles. Oh and the only gas station in Deadhorse was unmanned, so you could only use a credit card. The terrain there looks pretty much like the flat eastern parts of WY except it was a giant tundra sponge!

We had a Denver Bumper with bull bars. No flats, cracked windows, animal hits (although we saw a Civic crushed in by hitting a moose shortly before we got there), etc. Take caution and luck with you and you'll be fine. It was an epic trip. Plan to return late summer of 2016, but want to take the state ferry back the Inside Passage.

Have a great trip!
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Years ago I used to live in an area where a lot of trucks were kicking up gravel and were wreaking havoc on my radiator. I removed the grill (Al metal back then), and attached good old fashioned wire screen (for windows) between the grill and radiator). Never got a hole in my radiator after that.
Also I would probably invest in a grill guard / bumper for the errant large mammal, especially if you plan any driving while dark, which is not suggested.
Dodge Ram Winch Bumper 2010-2014 | Aluminess Products, Inc.
OR
ARB Modular Sahara Bar Dodge Ram 1500-2500-3500 94-96 & 1500 97-01 (3952020)
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Oldsalt47

1985 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
do you have any info available that you could share on the trip details ??

Thanks
John Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Oldsalt47

1985 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Do you have any info available that you could share on the trip details? Very interested in trip North in 2016

Thanks
John Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
If you're driving to AK, be sure and buy a copy of The Milepost. It will give you all the info as you drive the AK Highway, ie camping, dining, points of interest, gas, etc. the best bang-for-the-buck for a trip to AK.
If you plan to carry a gun for bear protection, you need to contact the Canadian authorities and register it paying , I think, $50. No pistols nor semi autos. I took a pump shotgun and after we got to AK I bought a can of bear spray. Never needed either, but I felt more comfortable on a stream fishing with the bear spray. And we did see lots of bears.
I'm a firm believer in the heavy duty bumpers since I have managed to hit a couple of deer at 65 mph at night. It can really mess up your vehicle.
The best time to go IMO is August-September and maybe early October if you rush back, or ferry back. The weather in Canada can shut the highways down in October.
Our favorite places:
Fairbanks where we did a tourist paddle boat ride which was quite fun and the university museum.
Denali on their bus tour. What a mountain.
Talkeetna which is where all the Denali climbs start. Camp on the river for free.
Seward where you can camp on the bay and walk around town. Tour the museums and take a wildlife boat tour.
All of the Kenai Penninsula down to Homer. Homer Spit is interesting.
Hope on the south of Turnagain Arm cute little out-of-the-way place with fishing next to your sight, bears, baluga whales, etc.
Any of the glaciers are impressive such as Matanuska.
Wiseman near Coldfoot was interesting. Mostly subsistence living.
Hyder was a brown bear watchers haven.
Hmmm...I guess every place was interesting.

I only drove once, but have flown there 4 other trips to fish and hunt and have managed to see all of Mt McKinley every trip. That is only a 25% chance so the guides told us. So be sure and take some luck with you.

Enjoy your trip and don't rush it.
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Are the bug/stone deflectors that mount over the leading edge of the hood worth it? Thinking of getting one for my new Ram 2500.

Kelvin
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Although the "cattle guards" some of you suggest will prevent major damage caused by a rampaging moose (as long as he decides to attack head-on) or Bambi ( not the AS type) that decides to step into our line of travel, I really was hoping to find a bra/nose guard like I used previously on a few different low-slung sports cars, something along the line of HD vinyl with a screened/vented grill/radiator cover.

However, if none of you know of such a product apparently it doesn't exist.

Perhaps when I go into business and begin making this seemingly wonderful and useful product, ya all will stand in line to gobble them up? Perhaps not.

Thanks to all who responded.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
My 2011 dodge diesel has a winter "bra" that covers the grill with 4 air intakes that can be opened or closed pending temperatures. It doesn't cover the leading edge of the hood, fenders, or bumper but might/would do a great job with rocks/gravel into the radiator.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote