Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Four Wheel Drive or Two Wheel Tow Vehicle?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not good with searching. If the tow vehicle has two wheel or four wheel drive, which should you use for general highway driving?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Two for sure...

We boon-dock a lot and the 4wd has come in handy more than a few times. A lot of folks don't feel 4wd is worth it, but when it's needed it sure is nice to have. Plus in our neck of the woods it does get used.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have two Suburban 2500's that we use to tow our 2005 25FB. The 2005 Suburbans is 4WD and the 2004 Suburban is a 2WD. We have pulled the Airstream over 40,000 miles with these two Suburbans.

On the highway we always pull in two wheel drive. The only time that we have pulled the trailer in four wheel drive was in a campground in Montana when we got bogged down in a mud hole.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hardly my expertise but I believe Jeep is the only vehicle with full time 4WD. For other makes you must use 2WD when driving any time on hard surfaces-- it's in the manual. Otherwise you'll scour your tires and get premature tread wear pronto. GM, Ford, Mopar, Toyota, Nissan -- all these other brands don't have a differential between the front and rear axles and 4WD use is recommended only on surfaces that have some give; eg, wet pavement or gravel.

I remember a former moderator buying a diesel 2WD truck he got a deal on -- he went back to 4WD when he got a chance. While towing I've been stopped at a redlight on a steep uphill in pouring rain and wouldn't have gotten going if I didn't have 4WD. There are many campground situations where 4WD comes in handy. Wet grass. Poor traction and you don't want to have just the rear wheels spin rocks up on your Silver Palace!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Not my expertise either but...

What about a Land Rover Discovery? They have AWD and the towing capacity (for the '97 at least) is 5500 standard and 7700 max. I live in MT (with the big mud holes!) and am still shopping around for a TV so will follow this forum closely. I drive a little Subaru now and I sure do wish I could pull a tt with that little thing. The Discovery is my first choice right now but Jeep is my second...keep talking ya'll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Hardly my expertise but I believe Jeep is the only vehicle with full time 4WD. You must use 2WD when driving any time on hard surfaces-- it's in the manual. Otherwise you'll scour your tires and get premature tread wear pronto. GM, Ford, Mopar, Toyota, Nissan -- all these other brands don't have a differential between the front and rear axles and 4WD use is recommended only on surfaces that have some give; eg, wet pavement or gravel.

I remember a former moderator buying a diesel 2WD truck he got a deal on -- he went back to 4WD when he got a chance. While towing I've been stopped at a redlight on a steep uphill in pouring rain and wouldn't have gotten going if I didn't have 4WD. There are many campground situations where 4WD comes in handy. Wet grass. Poor traction and you don't want to have just the rear wheels spin rocks up on your Silver Palace!
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
My Ford F-250 is 2WD and I had to order it because the dealers usually only carry 4WD because that's what most people want.

I prefer it for a couple reasons. The body is not quite as high off the ground (my knees are getting old) and a smoother ride.

I've only towed 1 time in the snow. If we went to any primitive or boondock places, I'd probably opt for a 4WD then.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Just a quick note, all wheel drive and four wheel drive are not quite the same thing. Four wheel drive is a selective feature that is engaged when needed. Four wheel drive is not designed to be used all the time. Doing this can damage the front transfer case, especially if used at highway speeds on dry pavement. All wheel drive is not selective. This feature is designed to be engaged at all times.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Our F-250 is also a 2WD and makes for a more comfortable ride for us and our dogs, and it rattles the trailer less. It works well for our camping style.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Waco , Texas
Four me four wheel drive is nice to have for recreational purposes. I live in Texas but most of my trailer time is in New Mexico or Colorado (recreating). In the winter four wheel drive is a must for skiing and in the summer we like to access a lot of jeep roads for mountain biking.

Given my driving habits (and probably most peoples) I would say that 95% of the time four wheel drive is a waste, but the 5% of the time that I do use it, I couldn't live without it.
Bearstream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We use as U can see by the lower left corner/2 wheel drive.In Fact we have 2 two wheelers, I grewup (matter of opinion) in Michigan and lived most of my life in snow country and have never owned a 4 wheel drive. I personally think its a waste of fuel. Why carry around 1000 lbs of weight U almost never use.But to each his own,if it makes ya feel better.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
We use as U can see by the lower left corner/2 wheel drive.In Fact we have 2 two wheelers, I grewup (matter of opinion) in Michigan and lived most of my life in snow country and have never owned a 4 wheel drive. I personally think its a waste of fuel. Why carry around 1000 lbs of weight U almost never use.But to each his own,if it makes ya feel better.
Very good point and for most 4wd is a waste. For us however all towing is done in the winter months, going over mt passes and working out of loveland colorado and michigan, it seems when it gets used its on for days, and then off for months. So, tough call, I lease and the lariat models have it on the lot, no real choice. I have wondered how much all the hardware weighs. 1k seems reasonable. It has been mentioned in previous threads that weight transfer is better in 2wd models than 4wd due to heavier spring rates.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
It is only a waste if you never use it. I use it and I don't mind toting around the extra weight. Nor to I mind toting the weight of the diesel engine either.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
It's actually really confusing when you take into account all the different drive configurations out there.
Some vehicles, usually the high end luxury versions of SUVs, allow for the selection of 2WD, AWD, and 4WD hi/lo all on the same vehicle. For instance, some Jeep Grand Cherokees have an optional transfer case that allows for all three. Nissan did the same thing and took it a step further with the introduction of the Infiniti QX4 SUV and later on the top end Pathfinder. Those both have a fourth "Auto" mode that keeps the transfer case in AWD mode and then locks the diff when it detects a difference in wheel speed front to rear.
Hummer, Land Rover and the VW Touareg are examples of AWD vehicles that have a locking center diff that become 4WD when engaged. GM also built several AWD pickups and SUVs that are NOT 4WD.
It all really depends on the whims of the manufacturer as to what type of setup is available on what vehicle.
IMHO, the standard selectable 4WD setup is best for towing. It allows you to pull in 2WD on the highway for better fuel economy and still gives you the ability to engage the front axle if you get caught in slippery conditions or decide to go exploring off the beaten path. There's no need for four wheels pulling on dry pavement anyway.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Thanks for all the advice. Last time I was out, my GPS sent me off on a steep dirt road and I started spinning out some. I didn't want to stop and loose any momentum (and didn't realize until afterward that I think you can engage 4wd when you're going slowly on my 05 F150). Just got me wondering about whether the added weight of the trailer and whether I should use 4wd more often. But sounds like it's best to save it only for when you need it. I appreciate all the input!

Craig
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not good with searching. If the tow vehicle has two wheel or four wheel drive, which should you use for general highway driving?
This thread has apparently degenerated into a discussion of the value of 4WD.

To get back on topic and answer your question, normal highway driving is done in 2WD (or as is found on some transfer cases 2HI). You don't engage 4WD until you have less-than-ideal traction; wet or slippery road surface, wet grass, loose gravel, etc. The reasons, as Bob mentioned, include tire wear; but more importantly, good traction conditions can bind up the transfer case and front axle, particularly when turning. That can potentially lead to gear, U-joint, or axle half-shaft failures. The ability for the wheels to slip a little is necessary for keeping a 4WD system from self-destructing.

4HI can also be engaged and disegaged at speed (check your owner's manual for the recommendations of your manufacturer about what speeds are appropriate, usually under 50mph) in most part-time 4WD systems. 4LO on the other hand usually requires being stopped and in Neutral to be shifted into or out of.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
It is only a waste if you never use it. I use it and I don't mind toting around the extra weight. Nor to I mind toting the weight of the diesel engine either.

There are times (after a rain) that I could not park my camper at my house without 4WD. It is also handy to have the low range feature for easing the camper into certain tight spots.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Last time I was out, my GPS sent me off on a steep dirt road and I started spinning out some.
Got one of those things for Christmas, and I'm having the dardest time teaching it how I like to go places. It keeps telling me to turn around and go back. After a while, though, it always figures it out.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Got one of those things for Christmas, and I'm having the dardest time teaching it how I like to go places. It keeps telling me to turn around and go back. After a while, though, it always figures it out.
I've named the little woman in the box 'Garmina'. She can be awfully persistent when you ignore her sometimes.

Back on topic, most 4WD trucks can be shifted between 2WD and 4HI at just about any speed up to around 50mph. The newer electronically shifted transfer cases have some delay and don't like to shift into 4WD if the front wheel speed isn't the same as the rear. I prefer the old school floor shifted type for real off roading since you can lock in the front axle without having to lose forward momentum in the muck.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I've named the little woman in the box 'Garmina'. She can be awfully persistent when you ignore her sometimes.
Yes, I have some friends in the unit that call theirs "The Bitch in the box".
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Whoa....this 4x4 discussion is a little more complicated than 4wd vs. 2wd. There's part time Hi & Lo, full time selectable (which is available on american trucks) and various versions of symmetric All wheel drive like your Subaru. But if you want the full details, see this site all 4WD/AWD on one page - a simple, easy to understand overview - all available 4WD, all wheel drive and 4x4 systems and their differences - 4WD concepts, their function, their layout, their purpose, their advantages

And personally, I like all wheel drive. Also had a Dodge Durango with full time 4wd. Do you need it? Only when you hit that black ice or hydroplane on a puddle and that extra traction combined with the automatic stability control kicks in and helps keep you gong straight. Pulling a trailer in the rain can be just as scary as snow.

There really is not that much difference in gas consumption between 4wd & 2wd, especially when towing a trailer.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote