Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Ford Towcommand Vs. Prodigy

Should I transfer my Prodigy from my present TV (02 Avalanche) to a new 2008 Ford HD FX4 instead of getting the Towcommand option? I think the towcommand is about $600.I really Like the Prodigy it's fantastic.
If any one has other option opinion's you can pm me or post.I think we will add powerscope mirrors, tailgate step, crew cab, 4x4, 5.4L, 4.10dif., 5 speed torqshift trans., 4wheel shift on fly, power pedals, and stowable bed extender.thank's.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I'd consider chucking the tailgate step and definitely getting the tow command option.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Towcommand

I agree stuff the step and the bed extender and differently get the tow command. It is not just a brake control but also down shifts your transmission automatically. I drove six thousand miles last year going to Oregon and back to Texas (via Colorado) hardly ever used the brakes in the Mountains. It is well worth the money.
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I don't have any experience with Prodigy, but I do with Jordan 2020, which the consensus is it is at least as good as Prodigy if not better.

I would sell the Prodigy on eBay or the classifieds here and apply the $$ to the tow-command.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Get the tow command. I had a prodigy in my old truck and my new truck came with tow command. I tried both. I like the tow command better. THe tow command is directly connected to the truck. It knows when I step on the brakes before the Prodigy. I also knows how hard i am steping on the brakes. The result I am getting faster responce fro mthe trailer and more proportional to the truck braking. I keep the prodigy as a spare.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg
I agree stuff the step and the bed extender and differently get the tow command. It is not just a brake control but also down shifts your transmission automatically.
I had a bed extender on my last truck -- think I used it once. Good thing was that the new buyer thought it was a nice feature. Go ahead and get it if you've found uses for it in the past. It's possible to have the tailgate down and not hit the electric jack. I don't think I'd ever want to back the Airstream with the tailgate down!

Rich, we've had discussions on how much more programmed Ford's & GMC's diesel-transmission combos can be compared to the trannys for gas engined trucks. Diesel trannys are a delight in preventing overdrive runaway when descending down steep terrain. Do we know enough about tow command to say that it would downshift a gasser's tranny? I don't know.

Only use a new Jordan if you have disk brakes. It's been only in the last handful of months that they were modified to work with disk brakes correctly. Talk to 68 Overlander if you have any questions on this issue.

[on edit: That last paragraph needs to be revised. Last fall's info about a disk compatible Jordan seems to be delayed. per Best Brake Controller today, "The new Ultima Plus is under development. We do not have a release date so please bookmark this page for updates."]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
No experience with any brake controller except the tow/command but I wouldn't want anything else. For me it was one of the main selling points of the F-250.

One feature that hasn't been mentioned is that when you get into an emergency braking situation and the anti-lock brakes activate, the tow/command will pulse the trailer brakes. It doesn't give you anti-lock brakes on your trailer when you didn't have them before, but it will simulate them and help prevent the trailer from skidding and jack knifing as quickly. And as Michelle said, it brakes in proportion to the amount of braking you apply to the truck. This should help extend the life of the trailer brakes and give better control.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Get the tow command it's vastly superior to the Prodigy. It's tied via computer to both you trans and your ABS. At this point it's the best brake controller out there. I have on my F350 and I had the prodigy on my 8.1 L Suburban. Tow command ....you can't go wrong.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I've used both. Towcommand blows the brake controller out of the water.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut
I think the towcommand is about $600. I really Like the Prodigy it's fantastic.
hi knunut

here is a quick review of several electronic brake controllers...

Electronic Brake Controllers - Feature - Truck Trend

"tow command" is a ford option package that includes mirrors, running lights AND the integrated trailer brake controller (ibc).

the ibc is a specific component attached to the master cylinder and wired to the truck cpu (brains)

the nice feature of the ford ibc is that imput comes directly from the master cyclinder and truck speed.

trailer brake voltage is also adjusted for abs function. so the trailer brake imput is pretty sophisticated...

tow/haul mode which will downshift on grade or with braking and hold gears longer on climbs...

is NOT part of the tow command package. it is a feature of the torqshift tranny and very very nice.

the ford (ibc) integrated brake controller unit can be purchased separately (approx 375$)

and even added to 05-07 trucks that were not equipped originally.

the ford mirrors are now electric retracting/folding, upgraded from heated only, and no doubt why the tc option package price increased...

if YOU are happy with the aftermarket brake controller hang on to it...

order the truck WITH the ibc and try it awhile.

IF it doesn't win you over, the prodigy can be installed after d/c the ibc...

while this package is 600$ ordering a 3/4 ton WITHOUT the ibc, is somewhat like skipping the a/c...

on vehicles that expect to be towing rigs...

cheers
2air'

towing zip will be limited with the small gasser, without any real boost in mpg...

the tail gate step is cute but not really very functional or safe.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...now-30023.html
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I own a Prodigy, and recently bought an 2007 F250 with the Towcommand and it works great. I strongly reccommend it. On my truck, I believe the tow package also included a transmission temperature gauge located above the water temperature gauge, which I really like having. The prodigy is a great brake controller, and I'll be keeping it in my backup TV, and as a spare.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
I believe the tow package also included a transmission temperature gauge located above the water temperature gauge, which I really like having.
no the tranny temp gauge is part of an instrument package which used to specific to lariat or harley or king ranch models....

and sadly it isn't a very good tranny temp gauge...

basically it reads in a 'range' format which isn't ideal IF you are after precision...

NONE of the gauges are top notch and IF you really want info an aftermarket gauge package...

like this one or the many others...

Bully Dog is the world leader in diesel performance parts, for Ford, Dodge and GM trucks.

with egt, boost and tranny temp is needed...

a better oil pressure gauge would be nice too...

ok the factory boost gauge is pretty good.

cheers
2air'
Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
no the tranny temp gauge is part of an instrument package which used to specific to lariat or harley or king ranch models....

and sadly it isn't a very good tranny temp gauge...

basically it reads in a 'range' format which isn't ideal IF you are after precision...

Mine is an XLT and, as I read the spec. sheet and manual, the transmission temperature gauge replaces the standard voltmeter in the instrument cluster as part of the TorqShift/tow haul option. Regardless of the package of origin, or any perceived imprecisions, I still really like having it. For the intended use of the truck, it's more useful than the voltage gauge.

Thanks for the nice link.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
knunut,
When I replaced my truck. Must haves were:
Diesel, automatic, Factory class V hitch, factory wiring harnesses, 4 wheel drive, Extendable heated towing mirrows. They are great!
It is a nice setup and I have put 20,000 miles on the truck in 6 months.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I wil bet that none of you have disc brakes on your trailer. My buddy bought a brand new Ford with the Towcommand and a new 2007 Airstream with disk brakes after many phone calls to Ford and Airstream the Towcommand was not compatable with the disk brakes from Airstream. He installed his Prodigy and it works great with the disk brakes. He also tows an older Airstream with electric brakes and loves the Towcommand . Just my Two Cents.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Selking
I wil bet that.....
another example of why gambling isn't profitable...

cheers
2air'
Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Just a quick note for those of you that may prefer a Chevrolet or GMC over a Ford. GM now has it's own integrated trailer brake controller available on it's new 2500 & 3500 pickups (I think the 1500's will eventually also have this option). I've never driven one, so I have no personal experience with it, but I expect it will offer the same advantages as the Ford Tow Command system over any after market trailer brake controller.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Tow Command all the way

I have the tow command and it offers much more than a brake controller does. In my F-350 its' wired into the dash so if the trailer plug comes loose you get a solid 'buzzer sound' and the odomoter flashes "Trailer Disconnected."

Its also at dash level and easier to see then anything under the dash. Everything else has already been mentioned.

One other point I'll make is that this system combined with the TOW/HAUL feature of our diesel automatically downshifts when needed. In essence you get the advantage of engine braking without having to shift on the column.

Of course we'll always have the Ford vs GM argument

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Not true! I have the tow command with disc brakes on the trailer and the actibrake. I was told both wayss but the actibrake bulliten says the tow command is compatable. Depending on when they bought the trailer, the actibrake will need a software update.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Back 'in the day', my father would put on a brake controller on the tow vehicle (station wagon) that would connect directly to the hydraulic brake line. This way it would know how much brake pressure being applied. I feel this is the best way to go if you can. I think the Towcommand uses this method. Although it is nice, I can't justify getting a new F-x50 just for that feature. Well, not yet at least.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote