Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
Of course we'll always have the Ford vs GM argument
No we wouldn't -- this is an Airstream discussion forum.

Think we're talking apples and apples here. Similar discussion on GMCs with special attention to Allison Grade Braking (thanks to BillTex): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post334044

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
08 F250

Please forgive me for I am new and my input is worth about -.02 but I've just bought an '08 F250 to pull a 2000 34' Limited.

1. I bought it to get the tow command/electric brake controller. I've only towed the trailer for 300 miles and it works great so far.

2. I've investigated upgrading my electric brakes to hyd discs and have already received this info from Actibrake:

"Duane:

Thank you for your email. The built-in Ford brake controller has undergone several revisions by Ford. Their original versions in the 2005 model year had numerous issues and we don't recommend using their 2005 brake controllers with our unit. However, the 2006-2007 built-in Ford brake controllers should work fine. The Ford brake controllers can be disabled by your Ford dealer and a standard Hayes or Tekonsha controller can be installed. You can review our owners manual at www.activetech1.com (please review the newest of the two ActiBrake models on this site) as a pdf which can be downloaded and printed. This manual lists the recommend brake controlles on page 10. Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,
Phil Stanhope
Active Technology"

Now I can't find a follow up email where Phil says they haven't evaluated their system with the '08 yet but said it should work fine.

And this from Rick March at Jackson Center at Airstream:

Duane, yes the system should work fine with the Ford controller.
Thanks Rick

Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 7:30 AM
To: rmarch@airstream.com
Subject: Re: Kodiak brake upgrade

Thanks Rick, and forgot to ask in my first email. No problems running the system off of Ford's F250 integrated tow command/brake controller system?

3. Tailgate Step. To get the truck I wanted it came with the tailgate step. I didn't think I needed it. I've had the truck only two weeks and have found it to be very useful already. Someone earlier mentioned something about it's safety. Well, it may be a problem if you weigh over 400 pounds but for me its worked great getting up into the bed and back down. Don't see anything unsafe about it.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
The built-in Ford brake controller has undergone several revisions by Ford. Their original versions in the 2005 model year had numerous issues and we don't recommend using their 2005 brake controllers with our unit.....
hi duane...

it's always interesting when one vendor describes the 'revisions' made by a different vendor...

IF you really want to know IF/HOW the ford ibc has changed...

contact FORD

i have a 2005 ford and the controller works PERFECTLY with the 2005 a/s disc brake package approaching 40,000 miles of towing...

with one exception described in the threads below...

and in THIS tsb from henry...

http://www.cvsa.org/resourcecenter/d...tin2005-01.pdf

actibrake's system has undergone changes however between 05 and 06...

visit the actibrake website... SEE the 2 manual versions? mine is version one...

Active Technology-Manuals

in addition actibrake has at least 3 different systems available...

perhaps ford has modified the software (i don't believe they have) but it is my understanding the hardward is the same from 05 through NOW....

check the ford parts # or visit your dealer/parts shop...

craftsman/2 had issues with his 06 systems and ACTIBRAKE sent him modifications...

we've tried to document these issues here so visit the brake/controller threads or read a bit here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...kes-19936.html

see post 6 below...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...tem-27295.html

and again craftsman/2 describes and photos of the actibrake modifications (post 26/30)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...-up-28809.html

added to the confusion is actibrake/kodiak vs dexter on the a/s side of the equation...

no doubt your 6 drums stop nicely but IF you do opt for a disc upgrade, the difference is significant...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My two cents worth!

Hi, I can not verify this, but I believe the Ford tow command system is made by or with Tekonsha. Reason I say this, is our trailer brake testers, at the Ford dealer are also made by Tekonsha. [Ford Motor Company / Rotunda special tools and test equiptment.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi duane...

it's always interesting when one vendor describes the 'revisions' made by a different vendor...
cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air, I just wanted to add my -.02 worth since I'm in the middle of trying to decide if I want to invest those additional funds after my initial outlay into this new venture so to speak.

Heck we've only slept in the thing one night and that was when it was parked around the corner!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I can not verify this, but I believe the Ford tow command system is made by or with Tekonsha. Reason I say this, is our trailer brake testers, at the Ford dealer are also made by Tekonsha. [Ford Motor Company / Rotunda special tools and test equiptment.]
I read elsewhere that it is made by Tekonsha also. BTW, as I said earlier, I like it a lot.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Heck we've only slept in the thing one night and that was when it was parked around the corner!
sometimes the best sort of camping is IN the driveway/parking lot!

IF the brakes are working well and don't need urgent service, just use and enjoy.

no real need to change a well functioning system, there's plenty of time for upgrades...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
sometimes the best sort of camping is IN the driveway/parking lot!

IF the brakes are working well and don't need urgent service, just use and enjoy.

no real need to change a well functioning system, there's plenty of time for upgrades...

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air. Will just get what I have serviced on the 11th. We're heading to NAS Pensacola on the 14th for that week. Then head back up through Nashville to visit my uncle who helped me get this thing.

So should be a nice maiden voyage.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Read the article's in previous Truck trend and Trailer life magazine about the tow command in the Fords. They both think its is the best thing since sliced bread. It reacts faster than any aftermarket product because the trucks computer controlls the brakes on both the truck and the trailer. You get anti lock braking on your truck and it compensates for the anit lock braking on the trailer. Its is an outstanding system and cheap. You get the whole thing for 350 dollars and that includes Ford tow mirrors ( the best in the business by the way) and the trans temp. controll etc. I have yet to hear someone who don't like it.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote