Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWilma View Post
FWIW I have no issues using my 7.2 pro power for recharging my batteries. I have a 30A airstream (22’ caravel) with 2x100ah battleborn batteries.

To the OP’s original question, this is an awesome set up. The “generator” is almost silent. Far better than the Honda gen set I used to use. And it is a magnificent TV. As others have pointed out, it’s a little light on payload, but on my mind worth packing light for the other advantages.
Definitely...it's like having your own full hookup to 30A power, where ever you might roam.

I remember seeing a YouTube video a while back, where one owner tested how long it would run in generator mode, on a full tank of gas, while normal draw on load (i.e A/C, microwave) as if your were in a full hookup campsite. I think it was a little over 24 hours...maybe more...

Ford did put in a constraint on this...as I found out the hard way. When the gas tank reaches the reserve level (i.e. the low fuel warning comes on), the Pro Power generator mode will shut itself off.
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Definitely...it's like having your own full hookup to 30A power, where ever you might roam.

I remember seeing a YouTube video a while back, where one owner tested how long it would run in generator mode, on a full tank of gas, while normal draw on load (i.e A/C, microwave) as if your were in a full hookup campsite. I think it was a little over 24 hours...maybe more...

Ford did put in a constraint on this...as I found out the hard way. When the gas tank reaches the reserve level (i.e. the low fuel warning comes on), the Pro Power generator mode will shut itself off.
Well that sounds a lot better then finding out the hard way they didn't do that. Instead it ran for another couple hours, then was completely empty.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Would it be fair to call that burning about a gallon an hour? Roughly? What does the Honda burn an hour during use? One website I looked at said the Honda got almost 10 hours per gallon. I just don't see how a 6 cylinder 400 HP engine can compete in fuel efficiency with the portable generators.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
YouTube Video says it could run for 5 DAYS

I found the YouTube video....

This couple ran it for 28 hours, with an AC and refrigerator load, and it consumed 5 gallons. So a full tank of 36 gallons...could go on for 5 days...
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Would it be fair to call that burning about a gallon an hour? Roughly? What does the Honda burn an hour during use? One website I looked at said the Honda got almost 10 hours per gallon. I just don't see how a 6 cylinder 400 HP engine can compete in fuel efficiency with the portable generators.
Fuel efficiency for the Honda will vary a lot depending on load. According to Honda specs the 2200i will run 3.2 hours at rated load and about 8 hours at 1/4 load. I have 2 Honda 2000's and these numbers are consistent with my experience.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...models/eu2200i

Efficiency aside, the big advantage of the onboard generator is convenience; no 50lb generator to haul and no extra fuel to bring along.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:40 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Calhoun , NE
I've never had a problem charging the batteries with the PowerBoost generator. Might there be a wiring problem with the converter? I once had a long 120 VAC ground wire touch the neutral bar after bouncing around on some rough roads causing a ground fault (on my previous SOB trailer).
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpauba View Post
I've never had a problem charging the batteries with the PowerBoost generator. Might there be a wiring problem with the converter? I once had a long 120 VAC ground wire touch the neutral bar after bouncing around on some rough roads causing a ground fault (on my previous SOB trailer).

My dealer is going to check for wiring issues, but I doubt it. Given it works fine on my house GFCI and the number of people with similar issues (check out some of the F150 forums). A bunch of 7.2kWh ProPower users had their issue fixed via firmware update.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
I have the 2021 F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2 kw, I love it and I am so glad that I got it. I have a 50A 27' Globetrotter with two AC units. With an 30A adaptor, I can power up one AC unit and the microwave.
With the 7.2 kw ProPower Onboard and a 50 amp adapter you should easily be able to power both AC units with lots of watts to spare.

I documented my set with an F-150 PowerBoost/7.2kw Propower and a 25' 50amp GT in this thread. As documented in the thread I also installed an extra outlet for the ProPower on board generator near the hitch of the F-150 so that the Airstream is fully powered moving down the road from the ProPower generator direct to the Victron MultiPlus in the trailer. All documented here.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but as I said, the converter (which converts the 120VAC to 12VDC to charge the batteries from shorepower causes a ground fault whenever it's on. So there is no way to charge the batteries from the ProPower as it stands now. I have made no attempts to modifying anything to get it to work. I simply use a portable battery station (the EcoFlow Delta 2) to be a middle man, allowing me to charge the Delta from the ProPower and the trailer from the Delta.
I like the idea of using a power station as an intermediate between my F150 2kw propower and my trailer. I was considering the Anker 767, but read 1 report that it tripped the ground fault on the F150. Any tricks to charging the Ecoflow Delta from the F150? I would like to recharge it while driving during the day, so I can supplement the AGM batteries in my FC 23CB at night. Anyone else have experience charging a power station from the F150?
Uncle_Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Bert View Post
I like the idea of using a power station as an intermediate between my F150 2kw propower and my trailer. I was considering the Anker 767, but read 1 report that it tripped the ground fault on the F150. Any tricks to charging the Ecoflow Delta from the F150? I would like to recharge it while driving during the day, so I can supplement the AGM batteries in my FC 23CB at night. Anyone else have experience charging a power station from the F150?

I’ve not had issues charging the EcoFlow Delta from the truck, but the EcoFlow itself appears super buggy. It sometimes discharges quite quickly with nothing turned on. It seems to time out, maybe heat up too much with the power coming in and going out? The charging cable was really hot once. As far as charging the trailer battery, or being charged by the truck as independent tasks,it seems fine, but using it as a pass through has just cause a lot of trouble for us. When we need to run AC power in our trailer, we just switch the converter off and run it directly from the truck. Then let the solar charge the batteries. Perhaps another battery manufacturer might be better.

Our Goal Zero is great, but it maxes out at 600 watts charging and uses shorter life Lithium Ion. Still, we may go back to that as our primary go between.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:20 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
When we need to run AC power in our trailer, we just switch the converter off and run it directly from the truck..
When you run the AC directly from the truck, do you just use a 15A to 30A adapter without any low voltage/surge protection?
I usually carry a generator in the summer so I can run the AC if necessary or charge the batteries when dry camping for more than a couple of days. I carried it for 4 months last summer and used it 3 times to run the AC. I picked up my new F150 with the 2kw inverter last fall, thinking I would be able to avoid carrying the generator. I am preparing for my next trip, so I really appreciate your posting, and will do some of my own testing..
Old 06-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
When you run the AC directly from the truck, do you just use a 15A to 30A adapter without any low voltage/surge protection?
I usually carry a generator in the summer so I can run the AC if necessary or charge the batteries when dry camping for more than a couple of days. I carried it for 4 months last summer and used it 3 times to run the AC. I picked up my new F150 with the 2kw inverter last fall, thinking I would be able to avoid carrying the generator. I am preparing for my next trip, so I really appreciate your posting, and will do some of my own testing..
The F-150 ProPower system (the 7.2kw version, which is the only one worth getting IMO) provides a 30 amp/240 volt service. With the appropriate adapter you get effectively the same 30 amp/120 volt service you'd get from a 30A shore power connection.

We use ours all the time, and it is, in a word, awesome.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:28 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Nope. It burns a whole lot less in real world use. The truck's engine automatically cycles on and off to charge the hybrid battery, which in turn powers the inverter. At "full burn" (7200 watts) it would be roughly a gallon an hour. It's a surprisingly efficient setup, and with lower loads the engine is only on a couple minutes per hour. I think we used about 3 gallons of fuel over a 2 1/2 day period recently when boondocking at a mountain bike race. That included some heater and A/C use as well.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Nope. It burns a whole lot less in real world use.
Ford F-150 ProPower OnBoard (PPoB) changes the game for TV's and RV trailers. Unfortunately the system is not well understood in the RV community.

PPoB was introduced in 2021 by Ford. In comes in four versions as an option.

2.0 Kilowatts - A simple inverter based system for non hybrid F-150s.
2.2 Kilowatts - A low power hybrid system inverter for the PowerBoost Hybrid.
7.2 Kilowatts - A higher power hybrid system inverter for the PowerBoost Hybrid.
9.6 Kilowatts - The higher power inverter system for the Ford Lightning.

The 2.2 kW and 7.2 kW inverters are only available on F-150's with the 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine. This is the most powerful engine in the F-150 model. The system costs $2,500 more than the 5.0L V8 Engine in the F-150. The 7.2 kW inverter is an option that costs $750. So for $3,250 more than a V8 powered F-150 you get a higher powered, more fuel efficient motor plus 7.2 kW, 2 leg, 30 amp generator to power the Airstream. Compare this price to a typical high quality 7.2 kW stand alone generator.

Of interest a typical two air conditioner Airstream is easily fully powered by two legs of 30 amp AC power. Two legs of 50 amp power is really more than most Airstreams will need. A typical Airstream using both AC units will rarely pull more than 4 to 5 kW depending on the size of the battery converter.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:03 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
The F-150 ProPower system (the 7.2kw version, which is the only one worth getting IMO) provides a 30 amp/240 volt service. With the appropriate adapter you get effectively the same 30 amp/120 volt service you'd get from a 30A shore power connection.

We use ours all the time, and it is, in a word, awesome.
Does sound great. What is the payload capacity of your truck? Can you remote star the F150 when you need the extra power? This may be my next TV, but for now I need to decide how to make the best use of what I have.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:28 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Ford F-150 ProPower OnBoard (PPoB) changes the game for TV's and RV trailers. Unfortunately the system is not well understood in the RV community.

PPoB was introduced in 2021 by Ford. In comes in four versions as an option.

2.0 Kilowatts - A simple inverter based system for non hybrid F-150s.
2.2 Kilowatts - A low power hybrid system inverter for the PowerBoost Hybrid.
7.2 Kilowatts - A higher power hybrid system inverter for the PowerBoost Hybrid.
9.6 Kilowatts - The higher power inverter system for the Ford Lightning.

The 2.2 kW and 7.2 kW inverters are only available on F-150's with the 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine. This is the most powerful engine in the F-150 model. The system costs $2,500 more than the 5.0L V8 Engine in the F-150. The 7.2 kW inverter is an option that costs $750. So for $3,250 more than a V8 powered F-150 you get a higher powered, more fuel efficient motor plus 7.2 kW, 2 leg, 30 amp generator to power the Airstream. Compare this price to a typical high quality 7.2 kW stand alone generator.

Of interest a typical two air conditioner Airstream is easily fully powered by two legs of 30 amp AC power. Two legs of 50 amp power is really more than most Airstreams will need. A typical Airstream using both AC units will rarely pull more than 4 to 5 kW depending on the size of the battery converter.
What size battery converter?
wrgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 05:52 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Does sound great. What is the payload capacity of your truck? Can you remote star the F150 when you need the extra power? This may be my next TV, but for now I need to decide how to make the best use of what I have.
Just under 1500 pounds. You really don't need to remote start it, as you can simply put it in "generator mode" and it will automatically start based on power demand.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:45 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Ford F150 with the onboard generator

I too have the F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2KW ProPower and it really does change the game for RV use.

I had a question for those using this same truck:

How much solar (if any) do you have? Theoretically of course you don’t need any, but for boondocking it would be nice to have solar to at least partially keep the batteries charged and then “top off” with the Powerboost as needed.

I ask as I am planning to order a new airstream for next season and I am thinking about battery and solar requirements. My current plan is to add a couple of the Victron 330v batteries and then max out the solar for the current airstream solar pre-wire, which airstream advises is 700W.

Would appreciate thoughts and experience.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:35 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Very interesting topic.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWilma View Post
I too have the F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2KW ProPower and it really does change the game for RV use.

I had a question for those using this same truck:

How much solar (if any) do you have? Theoretically of course you don’t need any, but for boondocking it would be nice to have solar to at least partially keep the batteries charged and then “top off” with the Powerboost as needed.

I ask as I am planning to order a new airstream for next season and I am thinking about battery and solar requirements. My current plan is to add a couple of the Victron 330v batteries and then max out the solar for the current airstream solar pre-wire, which airstream advises is 700W.

Would appreciate thoughts and experience.
We only have 300W on our roof plus either a 100W or 200W portable panel we can take with us as needed. I'd love more. I think we could get a couple 50W panels on the roof, but then we are close to maxed without taking other stuff away. I have seen solar panels placed atop A/C units before, so maybe that's another option to add more.

Personally, I appreciate having enough solar and batteries to not have to use our ProPower as much. We also only have the 2kW version and our Airstream converter is incompatible with it, causing a false ground fault whenever it's on. So although we can power our A/C if the converter is turned off, we cannot charger the batteries. We do have a DC to DC though that can handle that, although Ford has some tech in it that often tells the DC to DC that the engine is off even if it's not. I'm honestly not sure where the issue is there.