Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
come on Ravendog I'll push you right over the edge as my 9 yr old tried to do me a few months back looking at new trucks. Just throw the capacity of the tow vehicle out the window and go with the Banks equipped F-450 King Ranch 4x4. Add to it the Truview mobile sattellite connection on the roof, a ram mount laptop mount on the floor, a laptop with whatever mapping software you like the best (trimble) and tow whatever you want that Airstream can make. You won't even need a distribution hitch (that will be some savings). No worries if you decide on something else later you'll have the rig to do the work.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post
... Will this make a difference in towing and maneuverability? Wouldn't the 25' and 28' tow about the same...
'dog...

1000s of posts here on this debate. no 1 correct answer.

so go READ sum of the 100s of threads in the TOW VEHICLE section.

in general LONGER is easier to back up and more stable towing.

more axles is good (i like 3) but SET UP and DRIVER skill are the major determinants of tow-ablitiy.

LOTs of folks are happy in bambis too.

but they are ALL pretty much the same size in the rear view mirrors.

FLOORPLAN will make a smaller unit feel spacious or a longer unit cramped.

and don't rely on a/s for measurements...

the 30s/31s are EXACTLY the same size, and 27s are LONGER than 28s.

is the truck primarily for towing/travel or primarily 4 urban living and driving?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
RavenDog,
I just got a 2010 F150 on Nov. 5. It has the tow pkg w/3.73 axles, 5.4 gas engine, supercrew, and a lot of other goodies. My previous TV was an '06 F250SD/6.0 PSD. It pulled my 8400 # '02 31' classic w/slide easily. The ride was a little rough. We took the F150 to Omaha today for our 2nd outing in it. The ride is smooth !!! It has the 6.5' box and 18" wheels. The 6 speed tranny feels absolutely seamless when it shifts. We haven't pulled the AS yet, but I pulled a 31' Holiday Rambler weighing about the same as the AS with an '03 F150. The 5.4 had the power but needed more gears than that tranny had. I have had two 5.4s before this one and know they have the power to do the job. We got the Ingot Silver color to best match the AS. We will head for Bonita Springs, FL on Jan. 1. Can't wait to be on the road !!!!

Dan
Sounds like a lot fun, excitement and seafood. What model did you get in the F150 and would you change any second any of your selected features or add any?

I was very surprised at the quietness in the cabin on the road.
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
come on Ravendog I'll push you right over the edge as my 9 yr old tried to do me a few months back looking at new trucks. Just throw the capacity of the tow vehicle out the window and go with the Banks equipped F-450 King Ranch 4x4. Add to it the Truview mobile sattellite connection on the roof, a ram mount laptop mount on the floor, a laptop with whatever mapping software you like the best (trimble) and tow whatever you want that Airstream can make. You won't even need a distribution hitch (that will be some savings). No worries if you decide on something else later you'll have the rig to do the work.

That is a monster rig. I could tow my house with that and it wouldn''t move. Getting closer all the time and then farther away. But I'm sure I'll squeeze the trigger soon. I was never a Ford guy either. I could end up being converted........
Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
1. With the 5.4 and even a 25', you will eventually want the 3.73, or even lower, so get it now.

2. Do you intend to go off road? What does the 4X4 cost in initial price, fuel mileage, and maintenance, and what does a tow truck cost in the event you do get stuck? (I've been towing for many, many years with a 2 wheel drive, and never been stuck, but don't go off road)

2 again. I've got 20's now and wish I had 18's. You cannot buy LT tires or even load range C 20's...only XL's, and the 20's cost lots more. But, if looks are the thing for you, then..........

3. Lots of GPS systems available, I'd get the aftermarket that I really wanted.

4. What colors do you like? I like blue or Red, but what does that matter?

5. Not a doubt in my mind, ProPride.

6. As others have said, you will want either a cover or a camper shell. I like the shell because it give you lots more storage/hauling room.

And last, welcome to the forums. Do some surfing here, and you will learn lots.

Thank you! Your recommendations are well received and I may go with most or all of them. Definitely the tires, 4X4 and the 3.73 upfront. Don't know anything about hitches yet but I will check into the ProPride for sure. As for the cover, I have not got there yet either. Lots of options and choices......

I'm pretty well satisfied with any of the colors so it will probably come down to what's on the vehicle purchased. There seems to be a shortage of King Ranch vehicles, especially with 18 inch wheels. Not having much luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
I sold Fords for a bit (I sold myself mine). They can locate the vehicle you want anywhere, and if you want you can order the truck you want. Second, ask for a salesperson that is master certified. They have all the specs available, they just need to know where to look for it, usually in large black binders or the can call Ford directly.

I'm not promoting Ford, just happen to know about them. I went through a lot of trouble to get my master certification, but it was well worth it. I left that job in 06 or I could be more help with the new models.

Al
Absolutely treasured information. I've talked with salepeople who know less than I did when I started looking. I may have to start charging them for training lessons - although I'll have to share the income with you guys!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We pull a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. We have pulled Lucy over 50,000 miles and have spent over 500 nights in her in the last three years. We pull Lucy with 3/4 ton Suburbans. Lucy weight 7400# ready to camp.

If you plan to pull heavier than Lucy, you may want to consider a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. We pulled Lucy with our 1/2 ton Tahoe, and found the towing experience less than satisfying.

Do as you will, but a 1/2 truck of any brand may not be up to the job of towing heavy.

Remember that an insufficient tow vehicle is the number one cause of a perfectly good Airstream becoming a very expensive piece of yard art.

Brian

Thanks, I'm heeding your advice. May need to make some compromises or lose weight; one of the two......

50,000 miles - That's quite impressive.......
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I bought my truck used and it came with two items I wouldn't have bought: the factory slip-in plastic bedliner, and a LEER topper. Now I wouldn't be without either. The liner allows me to slide heavy items easily the length of this 8' bed, and the topper gives me a great deal of capacity. I use load-locks to secure cargo (Save-A-Load : World's Best Load Bars : Cargo Bars for Heavy Duty, Commercial & Private Vehicles)and recommend that other devices be used to keep things contained. With an 8' bed I could have gone with a tonneau cover, and have admired this one:

DiamondBack :: Covers as Tough as Your Truck

As well, CENTRAMATIC Balancers for TV & TT:

Centramatic

The next trailer I buy will be converted to disc brakes, and you'll find threads aplenty around here. At this point I'll go with KODIAK brakes and a CARLISLE actuator (and BRAKESMART control).

I could not recommend any more highly getting a Pro-Pride or Hensley Arrow hitch. It's cheap for what it does.

As to the truck, new or used, I'd convert the anti-roll bar bushings to polyurethane (polygraphite), and install KONI or BILSTEIN shocks the day after purchase.

For a man traveling, say, 5,000-miles annually, the 1/2-ton is an okay choice on a trailer of 7,000-lbs GVWR. To travel for several months at a time (10,000-miles or more), then the 3/4T is an easy choice. As FORD offers an extended cab (not a crewcab, in this instance) that would be my choice along with the 8' bed.

The best diesel is undoubtedly CUMMINS, and my choice is for the manual transmission. True that few are willing to row gears, but the rig control is unmatched by a slushbox. I find 4WD more trouble than it is worth (maintenance, repairs, weight, handling), but having factory tow hooks installed makes for a quick yank onto dry land. I believe that it is MANDATORY to have an anti-spin rear axle (Positraction, Sure Grip, whatever the name for the factory piece) and that that fluid should be changed 12-15,000 miles or annually). I get outstanding fuel mileage solo and towing with the Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Do you remember the old ads touting high compression, big V8 engines of long ago? How they "flattened out the hills"? This is what a turbodiesel will do. If I set my cruise control to exactly match a gas pickemup ahead of me, I'll eventually have to pull out and pass him. Trailer towing is easier as a result, as is solo driving. It isn't about the fear some exude because they have to downshift and maintain higher rpms for a long grade with a gasser, it is about being able to maintain a constant speed more easily. An exhaust brake is recommended (standard on DODGE).

There is a big difference in choosing powertrains, etc, from driving solo to driving loaded and towing. The "best" demo drive would be with a 5,000-lb trailer in tow. Maybe you know someone?
Definitely some good advice and recommendations and I'll keep them in mind. The plastic bed is probably a necessary early purchase along with a cover. With your skills, abilities and needs I'm sure the HD would be your choice. The balancing of the wheels is something to think about to. Never gave it thought. May need to consider it after the initial cash disbursements.

Thanks for the heads up.........
Old 11-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
'dog...

is the truck primarily for towing/travel or primarily 4 urban living and driving?

cheers
2air'

Both. Once the trailer is purchased I would think 75% of the miles would be traveling.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
RavenDog
We got the Lariat w/plus pkg, 157" WB, heat/cool seats, captain chairs, moon roof, spray-in bedliner and max trlr. tow pkgs among others. The rear seat is huge and the floor is flat and all usable w/seats folded up. The 7700# GVWR was necessary with the equipment we ordered. I have an ARE tonneau cover on the way, too. At this point I have no "second guess" regrets except for being crazy enough to spend this much on a truck !!!!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Navigation included with vehicle or purchase one after-market?

Having both, I can offer some insight. I have the vehicle installed GPS in a Lexus and a Garmin Nuvi in my PU. The price difference is obvious. There are some major differences I have noticed. First the Lexus GPS has very limited functionality when the vehicle speed is over 10MPH. For example you cannot use it to locate the nearest gas station while at normal driving speed. I ended up purchasing and installing a device that defeats that limitation. The Garmin obviously can be used while the car is in motion.

Second, the Garmin has the ability to learn, the Lexus does not. For example, I prefer a short cut home, through neighborhood streets instead of the main street. After a few times the Garmin "learned" that and now routes me that way. The Lexus always routes me the same way down the main street.

Third, the Lexus works through the vehicle sound system so driving instructions are issued while the radio is volume is dimmed. The Garmin can be hard to hear over the vehicle radio. The Bluetooth in the Lexus is vastly superior to the Garmin.

Fourth, the Lexus requires a $200 set of DVDs to update the routes and perhaps a dealer fee to install. A new Nuvi is about $200.

The Lexus typically offers 3 routes to a destination, the Garmin 1 route. The Garmin has the ability to add POIs, the Lexus does not. On a couple of trips have had both in the Lexus and both appear to have good routing. The Bluetooth phone book in the Lexus is a great feature as well as the ability to locate a POI and call the POI with a press of the button.

Which would I purchase? I honestly don't know, will face that when I replace the PU. The Bluetooth and radio sound override is great, but the Garmin is $200 or so, can be updated with POIs and learns. The Lexus limited functionality while at speed is a real bummer unless you can get a device to defeat it.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
RavenDog
We got the Lariat w/plus pkg, 157" WB, heat/cool seats, captain chairs, moon roof, spray-in bedliner and max trlr. tow pkgs among others. The rear seat is huge and the floor is flat and all usable w/seats folded up. The 7700# GVWR was necessary with the equipment we ordered. I have an ARE tonneau cover on the way, too. At this point I have no "second guess" regrets except for being crazy enough to spend this much on a truck !!!!!

Dan

Sounds like a beautiful TV with lots of spacing. It's very hard trying to find one with a 3.73 rear end unless you special order it. I was surprised to see that even the F250's come standard with the 3.55.

I understand all the manufacturers are trying to increase mileage on all vehicles but 3.55's on F250's?

Have a good day.......
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
Navigation included with vehicle or purchase one after-market?

Having both, I can offer some insight. I have the vehicle installed GPS in a Lexus and a Garmin Nuvi in my PU. The price difference is obvious. There are some major differences I have noticed. First the Lexus GPS has very limited functionality when the vehicle speed is over 10MPH. For example you cannot use it to locate the nearest gas station while at normal driving speed. I ended up purchasing and installing a device that defeats that limitation. The Garmin obviously can be used while the car is in motion.

Second, the Garmin has the ability to learn, the Lexus does not. For example, I prefer a short cut home, through neighborhood streets instead of the main street. After a few times the Garmin "learned" that and now routes me that way. The Lexus always routes me the same way down the main street.

Third, the Lexus works through the vehicle sound system so driving instructions are issued while the radio is volume is dimmed. The Garmin can be hard to hear over the vehicle radio. The Bluetooth in the Lexus is vastly superior to the Garmin.

Fourth, the Lexus requires a $200 set of DVDs to update the routes and perhaps a dealer fee to install. A new Nuvi is about $200.

The Lexus typically offers 3 routes to a destination, the Garmin 1 route. The Garmin has the ability to add POIs, the Lexus does not. On a couple of trips have had both in the Lexus and both appear to have good routing. The Bluetooth phone book in the Lexus is a great feature as well as the ability to locate a POI and call the POI with a press of the button.

Which would I purchase? I honestly don't know, will face that when I replace the PU. The Bluetooth and radio sound override is great, but the Garmin is $200 or so, can be updated with POIs and learns. The Lexus limited functionality while at speed is a real bummer unless you can get a device to defeat it.

Thanks for the exceptional comparison. I've never looked into a Garmin or any other Navigation as my 2002 vehicle had one in it and I fell in love with it, even though I don't use it a lot. It does have all the shortcomings you mentioned too. Decisions, decisions............

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
a mythical '7300' lb trailer will have a tongue mass of ~800-1000 lbs.

the camper SHELL is ~200+ lbs.

hitch apparatus 100-250 lbs.

so NOW calculate the PAYLOAD remaining for ALL the other stuff U might load in the truck.

THAT can become the deciding issue in the truck SIZE equation..

2Air:
I now see your point, it is important to look at both the payload and towing capacity. A F250 with 3.73 has 3,160 payload and 9,700 tow capacity or a lot more payload than the F150. Changing the F250 to a 4.10 changes the tow capacity to 11,700 with the same payload.
Going to a F350 adds another 1,000 payload.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I now see your point, it is important to look at both the payload and towing capacity...
exactly.

in fact many of us believe the 'towing capacity' figure is the MOST misleading number...

especially on smaller vehicles or those NOT really intended for towing.

and for folks TRYING to use a tv RIGHT AT it's rating limits or over them...

the IMPORTANT ratings/number are these...

1. gcvwr (this is the weight limit for EVERYTHING rolling, tv, trailer and ALL the stuff in/on both)
2. payload (basically the gvwr-curb weight+options)
3. axle/tire load ratings (front and rear)
4. the TRAILER carry capacity (since trailers with tiny payloads means carrying more stuff IN the tv)

"tow rating or towing capacity " is a simple consumer friendly offering and ADVERTISING tool...

but that HEADLINER/AD figure leaves OUT many of the IMPORTANT issues that lower those PEAK figures.

MANY of the tow ratings fail to account for the driver, passengers and FUEL or ANY options on the vehicle.

this is why for example VANS often have MORE real towing ability than suvs...

because vans (people haulers) often have higher PAYLOAD figures.

it's also why the 1/2 ton trucks are WIDELY different with payloads from just over 1000 lbs to >2000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post
I was surprised to see that even the F250's come standard with the 3.55.

I understand all the manufacturers are trying to increase mileage on all vehicles but 3.55's on F250's?...]
because the 250s with DIESEL have SO MUCH low end torque and a power band in the LOWER rpm zone...

a 3.5 on the diesel will NOT be a limiting issue towing ANY AIRSTREAM of ANY SIZE or YEAR.

the differences (mpg, 0-60, noise, and every thing else) are MINIMAL on drivetrains with >300 ft/lb of torque and the 250 is >500 ft/lbs.

the 4.10 is TOTALLY un necessary on any recent powerstroke UNLESS one is planning to haul (carry/tow) 12k or more.

for example towing a 4 slide 5th wheel OR carrying 2 motorbikes AND towing a 34slide 'stream (350 dualy or 450)

with SMALL v8s or v6s (gassers) or OLDER engines with LESS torque/hp, the 3.5 vs 3.7 vs 4.1 MATTERS for towing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can't say for Fords but there is no way I would change the 3.73's on my Cummins (w/stock tire size). Great pulling power and mid-20's solo.

Granted that as transmissions seem to gain more gears every year that pieces can be assembled differently for performance.

3.55's are the classic "gear fast, run slow" choice for Class 8 OTR trucks; they'll get the newest motors into the 1,450-1,600 rpm sweet spot at highway speeds. (And a 13-speed. And a five-and-a-quarter Cummins. In a midroof KW conventional).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote