Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
1SD, good points! We are close to the limits when fully loaded and would like to bring along a small Honda ATV on our cross country treks. Thought we would trade up to
250/350 gas this spring but lack of supply and higher costs with covid and chip shortage killed that. Maybe next year and maybe the 7.3 gas! Would miss my F150 though. Sweet ride unhitched and economical. Hate the column shifter and lack of Auto fwd on super duties. What engine do you have?
Wow ... such good karma ... you are naming many of the specifics of my scenario

I upgraded to the F-250 w/ 7.3l "godzilla" plant, and I also got the 4.30 rear end gear. I don't regret a single thing about it, but I was hoping for just slightly better fuel economy. You might consider sticking with the 3.73 rear end gear to maximize that, although most of the stuff I have read on various on-line posts say the MPG difference is negligible. I love the "grunt" I have, and I am sure the 4.30 is part of that. The torque in the 7.3 is also a huge part of it. I have a 4x4 supercab this time, with 6-1/2ft bed. My payload sticker says something just over 2900lb ... so I gained about 1,000lbs of payload moving up from my F-150 to my F-250 The first 7k miles or so was really tough at the pump, expect a break in period where MPG suffers. Now that I am past that, I can get above 15mpg non-towing, on the interstate, doing 72mph or so. My towing MPG can be above 10, if mostly flatland, and I stay around 67mph or below. Hills obviously will make it worse, and fighting a headwind will also make it worse. I feel for all those who hoped to upgrade and are unable due to this chip shortage. I got my truck just in time as they say, I ordered mine, and I took delivery in early December of 2020 (it is a 2021 model truck). No question about it, the ride quality is not as good as the F-150, but its a truck, built for a purpose, and stiff springs come with the territory. Turning radius not quite as good either, but it is a towing beast. Fun to have all that power/torque at your feet. Best of luck to you in trying to secure one ...

I should have also stated that I have the factory de-rate to 10,000lb GVWR, to make my annual license cost a bit more economical. I suspect that might have reduced my payload number some ... not sure how much, but if you opt not to get that derate, I suspect you might gain even more payload.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #42
New Member
 
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
I tow our 2017 25’ signature with the F150, eco boost, no problems whatsoever.
Also, I am in PHX and one AC works fine.
dlec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlec123 View Post
I tow our 2017 25’ signature with the F150, eco boost, no problems whatsoever.
Also, I am in PHX and one AC works fine.
A family member has a 25FB with single AC. Unless he finds decent shade or the temps are cooler, the single AC only cools down 15 degrees. That’s not nearly enough of a margin for us. He’s been kicking himself for not ordering the second AC for 4 years now.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #44
CRH
Rivet Master
 
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,995
A gas Super Duty works for me. My 25 ft is probably only about 6k lbs. With over 4k in available payload, I can carry about anything I want in the bed with no worries.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:50 AM   #45
Rivet Master
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 602
And while diesel is more expensive (at least here in Florida) it's nice to have 400 mile plus range with my 35 gallon tank. I'm almost tempted to to carry an extra 10 gallons in cans which would get me to around 500 miles which would be the max I'd ever want to drive in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
I have a 2020 23BF GT and tow it with a F250 Power Stoke. I towed with a F250 gas TV, got 7-8 MPG. With the Diesel I get 13-14 MPG at 70 - 75 MPH. Have power to keep up with the speed limit going up into the mountains, 7000 feet above sea level. The reserve power makes a big difference when you need it.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
And while diesel is more expensive (at least here in Florida) it's nice to have 400 mile plus range with my 35 gallon tank. I'm almost tempted to to carry an extra 10 gallons in cans which would get me to around 500 miles which would be the max I'd ever want to drive in a day.
If you use diesel and fill up at truck stops you can get a TDS fuel card and get discounts like the truckers get. I normally fill at Petro and TA and get somewhere between .40 and .80 discount per gallon. I have been using this card for two years and saved me a lot of money and it is nice not having to deal with gas stations with questionable space.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
__________________
Dennis & Ellie
1994 Excella Classic Unlimited 28 Foot
2017 RAM 2500 Gas 3170 Payload
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #47
New Member
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 3
My experience: I have a 2020 F150 Ecoboost (non hybrid) and we have happily towed our 2021 FC 25RB up and down the east coast over the past year. I have a basic weight distribution hitch and curt sway control, nothing fancy, and we have some occasional sway but nothing major where I've had to hit the trailer brakes to stop sway. Power is fine. I do need to counteract steering input when getting passed by big trucks but it's not a big deal once you're used to it. I initially regretted not getting a 250 but now I'm glad I got a 150 when it comes to parking garages, etc. It may be windier where you tow but this was our experience.
numbakrrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master
 
2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,651
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Lots of valuable insights in that article and I totally agree about power, in that I always felt I had plenty of power, for my trailer anyway. Three things stick out in my mind as I re-read some sections and content. The first is the tail end of the final summary … “ just to satisfy an arbitrary number that does not actually matter when towing? “. Presuming his inference is 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton as that number, I don’t agree that it is arbitrary. It conveys a great deal of initial information in regard to the more heavy duty nature of the frame and related critical components. The second is he spends a good deal of time describing upgrades to a 1/2 ton (shocks, tires, even mentions springs) to improve handling aspects to a stock 1/2 ton so in some cases he’s not comparing 1/2 to 3/4, he’s comparing a modified 1/2 to a 3/4. The third is he is digging pretty deep in detail, that’s a good thing, because all of those points are important. Tire ratings, axle ratings, tow ratings, etc. It should be a reminder to all of us that you can’t only look at the tow rating … or the hp rating on the power plant … or even the 1/2 vs 3/4 rating. All of it matters. I have had both 1/2 and 3/4 and towed the same (airstream) trailer with both. I have no argument at all with the fact that 1/2 ton trucks *can* do it, it’s just too close to the edge of comfort for me, and not enough payload margin for me, so I am solidly in the group that favors the 3/4 ton class vehicle as a towing platform.
A few modifications to an F150 are reasonable. For example I put on the roadmaster suspension to stabilize the ride. Cost $650. It is a big difference. I didn't change shocks or tires. Both of which would be far more expensive. I did however go to the 20" tires. That was a more expensive option. But it increased the rear axle weight rating significantly.

I think the point of the article is that you can get what you need in the F150 with a few mods. They aren't expensive. And you get a pickup that is easier to park, get into, and has a better ride.

As to the person about "being soft." I'm not going to spend a ton of money to feel tired from bouncing around when driving, deal with terrible gas mileage, and aggravating parking.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 159
You can take an F150 Platinum with 1200 payload and put a 30 foot AS behind and be overloaded by a few hundred pounds. Put on a couple of aftermarket products and cover up the overweight problem and even not produce much of sway problem during normal driving. But when the rubber meets the road is when you top the hill and there is an accident in your lane with people just get out of their cars and you need to do a fast maneuver/lane change to avoid hitting them would you rather be in an overloaded F150 or one running right at the limits or an F250 with stiffer suspension with plenty of unused capacity. This happened to me with my previous AS and Ram 2500 and yes it was a non-event. I not only had to change lanes fast I even end up with driver-side wheels on the shoulder of the road.

PS If I had hit the car that was partway in the fast lane there was a father getting his kid our child seat in the back seat that I would hit.
__________________
Dennis & Ellie
1994 Excella Classic Unlimited 28 Foot
2017 RAM 2500 Gas 3170 Payload
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
You can take an F150 Platinum with 1200 payload and put a 30 foot AS behind and be overloaded by a few hundred pounds. Put on a couple of aftermarket products and cover up the overweight problem and even not produce much of sway problem during normal driving. But when the rubber meets the road is when you top the hill and there is an accident in your lane with people just get out of their cars and you need to do a fast maneuver/lane change to avoid hitting them would you rather be in an overloaded F150 or one running right at the limits or an F250 with stiffer suspension with plenty of unused capacity. This happened to me with my previous AS and Ram 2500 and yes it was a non-event. I not only had to change lanes fast I even end up with driver-side wheels on the shoulder of the road.

PS If I had hit the car that was partway in the fast lane there was a father getting his kid our child seat in the back seat that I would hit.
The wife will opt for option 2 all day long, even though she’d be able to handle the 150 far easier and enjoy it more. It was worth investing and posting. I liked the lower cost of the 150 and the ability to park it in my garage even more, but there will be less regrets and guesswork with the 3/4 ton.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #51
Cloudland2
 
davidrrand's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 358
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Wow ... such good karma ... you are naming many of the specifics of my scenario

I upgraded to the F-250 w/ 7.3l "godzilla" plant, and I also got the 4.30 rear end gear. I don't regret a single thing about it, but I was hoping for just slightly better fuel economy. You might consider sticking with the 3.73 rear end gear to maximize that, although most of the stuff I have read on various on-line posts say the MPG difference is negligible. I love the "grunt" I have, and I am sure the 4.30 is part of that. The torque in the 7.3 is also a huge part of it. I have a 4x4 supercab this time, with 6-1/2ft bed. My payload sticker says something just over 2900lb ... so I gained about 1,000lbs of payload moving up from my F-150 to my F-250 The first 7k miles or so was really tough at the pump, expect a break in period where MPG suffers. Now that I am past that, I can get above 15mpg non-towing, on the interstate, doing 72mph or so. My towing MPG can be above 10, if mostly flatland, and I stay around 67mph or below. Hills obviously will make it worse, and fighting a headwind will also make it worse. I feel for all those who hoped to upgrade and are unable due to this chip shortage. I got my truck just in time as they say, I ordered mine, and I took delivery in early December of 2020 (it is a 2021 model truck). No question about it, the ride quality is not as good as the F-150, but its a truck, built for a purpose, and stiff springs come with the territory. Turning radius not quite as good either, but it is a towing beast. Fun to have all that power/torque at your feet. Best of luck to you in trying to secure one ...

I should have also stated that I have the factory de-rate to 10,000lb GVWR, to make my annual license cost a bit more economical. I suspect that might have reduced my payload number some ... not sure how much, but if you opt not to get that derate, I suspect you might gain even more payload.

Glad you are enjoying your truck and that engine is intriguing. Thanks for the experiences you shared. My current truck is a Super Cab as well as my previous “99 F350 Powerstroke. That generation 7.3 diesel was simple, economical and dependable. Paltry in power compared to the current gen with only 235 hp and 500 lbs. torque but I never had any issues towing my 6000 lb. boat on the ball. Wife hated manual trans and lack of creature comforts, though. If things calm down next year may go with a Lariat F350 equipped similar to current F150 but Super Crew this time and the 7.3. No more payload considerations. Just hope those idiots in DC will quit spending money and people go back to work before inflation drives the price of gas up to $5! Retired on fixed income!
__________________
Dave & Carolyn
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 12,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTinCan View Post
A family member has a 25FB with single AC. Unless he finds decent shade or the temps are cooler, the single AC only cools down 15 degrees. That’s not nearly enough of a margin for us. He’s been kicking himself for not ordering the second AC for 4 years now.
Hi

Sitting here in the full sun in a 30' running only one A/C. It's 86 outside and 72 inside. The A/C is running about half the time right now. Yes, I'd have both turned on if the power post had a working 50A breaker .... It may hit 97 later today.

Humidity also counts a lot when looking at this stuff. Out in the desert with 10% RH an A/C can do amazing things. Right now, we're at 60% RH.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #53
New Member
 
Dothan , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 3
Here’s the sticker inside our F-150 door…

…will this work for towing the FC 25’ fbt? Or should we drag our new trailer home from the dealership and get busy actively looking for an F-250 or -350? The Airstream site says our trailer (due within the next month) has a hitch weight of 800lbs😳. We plan to go to the mountains once or twice a year but other than that, we’ll be doing weekend trips to state parks around AL/GA/FL most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A08218D-A299-4EA7-9E32-CB885D33071B.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	406292  
Nosnurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosnurbs View Post
…will this work for towing the FC 25’ fbt? Or should we drag our new trailer home from the dealership and get busy actively looking for an F-250 or -350? The Airstream site says our trailer (due within the next month) has a hitch weight of 800lbs😳. We plan to go to the mountains once or twice a year but other than that, we’ll be doing weekend trips to state parks around AL/GA/FL most of the time.
Your payload and axle rating numbers are right where my 2016 4x4 f150 was (5.0 gas v-8). I have a 25’ Rbt, and the #1 issue for my setup back then was that the f150 rear axle was overloaded, even though I was still under my payload limit. I was using an equalizer WD hitch, setup was good, just too much weight so I went up to the f250. I think folks say the fbt is heavier in the tongue than the rbt, so be very careful about that aspect.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F150 PowerBoost as Main Generator? SeaScott Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 43 07-22-2021 05:51 AM
Airstream Serenity and F150 PowerBoost Hybrid w/Generator - GFI Faults pnoshawn Tow Vehicles 10 05-26-2021 12:18 PM
F150 or 2017 F250 or 2018 F150 Diesel? wponder Tow Vehicles 63 09-12-2017 09:49 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.