Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Ford F150 PowerBoost or F250 PowerStroke for 25FB?

I know the F150 vs F250 debate has been beaten to death on this and other forums around the 25 footer specifically, but the F150 PowerBoost specifically is a different animal. I’ve read tidbits about it here and other places, but nothing too cohesive PowerBoost specific.

At some point here, the wife and I are getting an AS. We were finally able to see and more importantly feel the difference between the Globetrotter 23 and 25, thus ending any debate around which is right for us. Love the size of the 23 and that it’d put us firmly in the more manageable F150 (any half ton for that matter) territory, but after really sitting in the two uninterrupted, walking past each other, etc….the 25 wins for us.

Up to recently, we’ve been firm on the 25 being the cutoff for us going to the F250, but the new 150 hybrid PowerBoost has some compelling advantages over the standard EcoBoost. There’s the extra weight of the batteries making the truck more stable than standard 150. There’s the built in 7.2kw power system eliminating the need to carry and lift/move a generator, no need to fire up a generator to use AC, convection, etc.

While the PoweBoost does reduce the towing/load capacity to some extent over the non-hybrid, it’d seem a wash given no need for a generator.

I’ve seen some tests and you even get some “engine braking” with the regenerating brake system of the hybrid. Not like the diesel, but better than non-hybrid F150s.

So with that, does this change the 1/2 vs 3/4 debate any when it comes to the 25FB AS?

A bit more background; We’re in the Phoenix area and will be ordering with second AC. No point in debating that one. We’d like to think we can escape the heat, but realistically, while still working and not full-time RVing, following the weather just isn’t going to work all the time. I add this, because the built in 7.2kw generator will actually power at least one AC. Something we’ll likely be using for a few more years till we can go for extended runs. Also, at this point we have no truck, so either choice will be a new acquisition…AND it’ll likely be a fairly well equipped model. It’ll be a daily driver vehicle and not a dedicated TV.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you run the water heater on propane and either have a newer model with the 12v fridge or run the fridge on propane, the Powerboost system should run both ACs. 30A/120V will run an AC, and Powerboost delivers 2x30A/120V.

I suspect the big question will be how it deals with a heavier trailer. I haven't looked into the ordering guide for the Powerboost, I don't know if it's available with the various items that come with the Max Tow package.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Comes down to payload

I am currently shopping for a TV myself (for a lighter trailer) and find myself bouncing back and forth. Honestly, I would rather have a F150 for various reasons, but.....

You can wear yourself out looking at the various numbers and features. As far as I can tell, the only number that matters at this point in the debate is payload. The F150s undoubtedly have the ability to tow the load. The only remaining issue is how much weight capacity is left for cargo (including passengers). When working your numbers out, remember that published tongue weights tend to be on the low end of reality.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
The topic is immortal. It cannot be beaten to death. I opted to go the 3/4 ton route. Immediately was hit with the "for a few bucks more you could have gotten a 1-ton".

Of course that's not true, if I wanted to cover all possible bases, I should have gotten a 450 (0h wait! There's a 650?).

I bought off the lot because I'm impatient. I no longer have to commute to work, so I'm much more insensitive to fuel economy. My RAM 2500 is more than capable of towing our 25' GT FB. I get about 13 MPG towing, probably more if I kicked it down to 65 MPH. We ran into a couple this week at Topsail who have a 30' Classic and tow it with a Tundra. I simply asked "how do you like towing the trailer?" and the response was "it tows great". I'm not going to do the math on that one.

The ford truck with built in generator is pretty enticing and I'd be happy in most cases with a 1/2 ton truck. But I got what I got and no regrets. The only way you'll know for sure is once you actually have the whole rig together and start towing with it.

Good luck. Let us know.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
The most important thing you said in your entire long post was that it's a daily driver and not dedicated for the RV. Get the F-150! We are not yet full-time either, and we currently own a 72 Argosy 24, and a 37-ft fifth wheel. We currently have an F-250 gas, and an F-350 turbo diesel. We have had two f-150s over the years starting in 1994. The F-250 and F-350 are great for towing but beat you to death as a daily driver. They are not quiet, compared to the f-150s. You will love your F-150 for 20 or 30 years especially if the first 10 or 15 years are daily driver. By the F-150 and don't look back!
johndpolk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The gotcha is that this isn't just about the trailer. It's also about how much *stuff* and how many passengers you will be traveling with. It is amazingly common for folks to say "I won't have much along". They somehow get talked into spending $10 at the CAT scale and .... hmm... seems like we *do* have a lot of stuff.....

Bob

(ex-F250 and now F350 .....)
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Bottom Line it always comes to PAYLOAD and TOWING CAPACITY ... doesn't matter what you buy 1/2 -3/4 - 1 ton or a Max truck ... if it doesn't have the capacity you require, you got the wrong truck.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTinCan View Post
I know the F150 vs F250 debate has been beaten to death on this and other forums around the 25 footer specifically, but the F150 PowerBoost specifically is a different animal. I’ve read tidbits about it here and other places, but nothing too cohesive PowerBoost specific.

At some point here, the wife and I are getting an AS. We were finally able to see and more importantly feel the difference between the Globetrotter 23 and 25, thus ending any debate around which is right for us. Love the size of the 23 and that it’d put us firmly in the more manageable F150 (any half ton for that matter) territory, but after really sitting in the two uninterrupted, walking past each other, etc….the 25 wins for us.

Up to recently, we’ve been firm on the 25 being the cutoff for us going to the F250, but the new 150 hybrid PowerBoost has some compelling advantages over the standard EcoBoost. There’s the extra weight of the batteries making the truck more stable than standard 150. There’s the built in 7.2kw power system eliminating the need to carry and lift/move a generator, no need to fire up a generator to use AC, convection, etc.

While the PoweBoost does reduce the towing/load capacity to some extent over the non-hybrid, it’d seem a wash given no need for a generator.

I’ve seen some tests and you even get some “engine braking” with the regenerating brake system of the hybrid. Not like the diesel, but better than non-hybrid F150s.

So with that, does this change the 1/2 vs 3/4 debate any when it comes to the 25FB AS?

A bit more background; We’re in the Phoenix area and will be ordering with second AC. No point in debating that one. We’d like to think we can escape the heat, but realistically, while still working and not full-time RVing, following the weather just isn’t going to work all the time. I add this, because the built in 7.2kw generator will actually power at least one AC. Something we’ll likely be using for a few more years till we can go for extended runs. Also, at this point we have no truck, so either choice will be a new acquisition…AND it’ll likely be a fairly well equipped model. It’ll be a daily driver vehicle and not a dedicated TV.
I have had both the F150 and F250 pulling 25’ Airstreams (I’m on my 4th one). The F150 will do the job, but the F250 will get you more of a safety margin, more payload and storage in the bed and will last longer. For example, few are aware that the F250 has two sets of axle bearings instead of one set on the F150. The axles, differentials, frame, transmission and breaks are massive compared to the half ton trucks. Your confidence level will be greater with less stress.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
23' is fine for the F150. 25' is a closer to the dividing line....but you'll be find if you don't do a lot of mountain routes. The built-in F150 generator feature is nice - but many folks don't want to run their vehicle engine for hours. You're fine with either decision - but if this Airstream is the first one in an eventual series of upgrades you'd be wise to go with a 3/4 Ton Diesel.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
Quote:

We own a 2016 25' AS FC, RB. Currently have 33,000 miles on it. The first 20,000 miles I pulled it with 21013 F-150 Ecoboost FX4. It did an amazing job pulling cross country several times. Two years ago I replaced it with a 2018 F-150 Powerstroke diesel FX4. We just finished a 6,500 mile roundtrip from Tampa to Montana. I can't say enough about the tow capacity of this vehicle. We drove right down the spine of the Rocky's from Montana to New Mexico and across the Mid West with temp's in excess of 100 degrees. We got 15.5 mph for the trip. With Ecoboost I got maybe 11 at best. Needless to say I'm a fan and recommend the F-150 diesel as well as Ecoboost. Good luck!
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I have the F-150 with the 3.5 (Important, not the 2.7) Eco-Boost engine. I have a 2018 25FB Flying Cloud. I have pretty well been everywhere in the US and parts of Canada. My truck also has the Crew Cab. Be sure you specify that you want the total Towing Package. That will get you approximately 12,500 pounds of towing and also get you a 36 gallon fuel tank which you want. I can cruse across Texas at 70 miles an hour without an issue. Here are a few things you will want to consider:
1. You will want a good load leveling hitch system. I have the Reese Straight Line Hitch. I like it but there are others out there too. Do your homework on the hitch system. Dealers will try to sell you what they have in stock and tell you they are the best. That may or may not be true. And sometimes the dealer really don't know.
2. A two wheel drive Ford F150 has greater towing capacity than a Four wheel drive due to the additional weight of the front axle and the transfer case. People will argue this but it is true. How many people do you know that drive down the highway with the truck in 4 wheel drive. You also have a greater Payload in a two wheel drive.
3. If you order a truck I would recommend a 6 1/2 bed length. I have the 5 foot bed and now I wish i had gotten the 6.5 bed length. You will find more 5 foot beds on dealers lots.
4. If you have a choice of the Backup Assist leave it off. You won't use it. If it cost more to get that feature don't get it.
5. I have a friend that added air bags in addition to the load leveler hitch and likes it. I don't think it is necessary but what ever make you happy. My wife loves the truck. Happy Wife-Happy Wife.

Good Luck
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Texas
All that being said…

I am a single woman with 2 poochies. I was taught many lessons about all things mechanical by my dear Dad! I can hear his answer if I had asked the above question:
“You should alway bring a gun to a knife fight.”

I have a 2018 F250 Diesel Limited 4x4 that rides like a DREAM (I don’t get “beat up”) and I can not even “feel” my 26 RBT behind this TV.

Thank you, Daddy!!

Elizabeth
blingtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingtin View Post
I am a single woman with 2 poochies. I was taught many lessons about all things mechanical by my dear Dad! I can hear his answer if I had asked the above question:
“You should alway bring a gun to a knife fight.”

I have a 2018 F250 Diesel Limited 4x4 that rides like a DREAM (I don’t get “beat up”) and I can not even “feel” my 26 RBT behind this TV.

Thank you, Daddy!!

Elizabeth
Luv your answer. Lol
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
2005 22' International CCD
Red Deer , Alberta
I pull a 25 with an 2014 F150 3.5L eco boost tow package through the Rockies all summer long here in Alberta. It does the job but it shifts down a lot on the mountains and hills. It works to pull up those mountains. Driving around town it gets 13L/100 km and towing is more like 23 to 25L/100km.

The payload is the kicker. I know that I regularly go over the recommended on our 2 week trips. My next truck will be the 250 for more payload weight and less shifting. I bet the mileage will also be better. Our previous Airstream 22 was towed with a diesel Touareg and it did way better in the mountains for mileage(14L/100km) and way less shifting.
Mangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Real numbers

Our 2020 F-150 Lariat with EcoBoost is not enough truck for our 2017 International 25FB.

Payload. Door sticker says 1610# payload capacity but the scale says 1550# (weighed with full fuel and Roadmaster suspension but no occupants). So there goes 60# of payload. Adding two humans (~270# total), the tongue (1100# including the ProPride hitch and full propane), and an ice chest in the cab (30#) leaves us with 150# for the truck bed. Bring along a grandchild (100~) and we're left with 50#. You think more than twice about bringing along the tire pump, big tool set, and handful of extra parts. Forget about the generator; it isn't coming.

Driving. The trailer drives the truck occasionally. No sway but no fun. Plenty of pulling power. If you're ok with this then discount it.

Making do. You can make it work by loading the heavy gear in the trailer, but then you're beating up the AS floor, transferring gear from trailer to truck and back at every overnight (PITA), and stepping over/on it if you pull over for lunch in the Tractor Supply parking lot. If you're ok with this then discount it.

I ordered the 2022 F-250 on July 12. The F-150 was tempting but payload was a deal-killer. Full disclosure: the DW bought a GX last week to replace her sedan so the F-150 is not so much of a daily driver for us (we're retired). Meaning, the F-250 won't be squeezing into the parking lot at Whole Foods or Starbucks.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
Hi there. My perspective on this is a little different than some of the others because we are still waiting on our International 25FBT due in a few weeks (Maybe? Hopefully?). So I cannot compare the drive the way most on this forum can. BUT, we JUST went through this same exact problem solving and went back and forth on the decisions and here is what happened for us.

We were pretty set on a 20 ft Caravel in which we were going to get a F-150 (hadn't decided on engine yet) or a Ram 1500. Then we went to an Airstream dealer a few hours away because we were told they had a 20ft to look at. Only to find they did not and instead the closest was a 22ft. After spending time in the 22 and then going into a used FC and GT that were both 25 ft. we decided we definitely wanted a 25 ft model. Sooooo.... back to the drawing board on our tow vehicle because now we were not going to be towing a 20 footer anymore. So we were in the same exact boat you are now.

No matter how we did the math, even with just the two of us and our dog and a small amount of cargo we figured we needed, every configuration of the F-150 and the Ram 1500 put us almost at or over payload. And man we tried hard to make this work! Knowing the truck would be my commute vehicle and I would be parking in tight and low clearance parking garage at my hospital I REALLY wanted a 1/2 ton. And yet the numbers did not lie, especially when we went to a couple of dealer lots and actually looked at the payload numbers on the specific trucks instead of just what websites tell us (the actually trucks configured how they are are almost always LESS than a website will tell you it is). So we went with a Ram 2500 (wanted a Ford but due to the CHIP issue, no vehicles on lots that had the right tow tech for us and no time to build our own before our trailer would arrive, the Ram was our only choice and we got damn lucky to find the one we did with 90% of what we wanted on it).

Now here is what I will tell you as someone who was super sad to get a 3/4 ton truck and to be commuting in it. I now LOVE this truck. I drive it daily, its great and comfortable for commuting. I make the parking garage situation work and when we have taken the truck to the mountains many times and especially carrying hundreds of bricks in the bed, this thing is a beast! And every day we drive into the mountains around hairpin turns and steep grades, we say to each other "I love this thing and the 3/4 ton was the best choice we could have made. I am so glad we chose it and towing our AS will be a breeze".

We have absolutely zero regrets and now we don't have to worry about being over payload, we have more flexibility, more cargo weight capacity and no concerns that we will have insurance issues in a crash because we were over weight. CAN you tow a 25 with a F-150, yes. But that isn't the question you should be asking. Are you comfortable towing it with an F-150? Everyone's answer will vary. Ours, after a lot of research and thinking was definitely NO. Your mileage may vary. Good luck in the process! It a terrible time to buy a truck but it will get better soon!
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
This debate will always come down to payload first, personal preference and comfort second.
I had a 2020 F150 with the 3.5 ECO-max tow. Overall specs similar to the 2021 powerboost less the Hybrid aspect and of course the generator. I tow a 25' Airstream.
After 2 trips, I traded the F150 for a 2020 F250 Powerstroke and Never Looked back.
Why? -Again payload first. The engine was more than capable. Unless you buy an XL or XLT with the Heavy Duty Payload Package, you will never be north of 2000lbs payload capacity. I'm not even sure if that is possible with the '21 models, but if so it would have to be special ordered that way, and you cannot get the generator with those trim levels. 2000lbs in my opinion is the minimum benchmark for a 25'. You WILL be at least 1000lb tongue weight loaded, regardless of what specs say. This is real world info. Airstream marketing material and Ford TV commercials are not real world. My F150 Lariat with Max tow, etc had 1683# payload which for a 1/2 ton with a high trim level is very respectable. So that left me 683 lbs for passengers, dog, junk in the cab and anything in the bed. Firewood, grills, bikes, tools, etc add up quick. I will concede to you that Ford allows 150lbs for a driver. That is debated over and over as well, so I won't go there.
For me it was just too marginal, even with that.

I felt the trailer pushed the F150 a bit. Others will disagree, this was just my experience. Braking was also not ideal. Most will say - "the trailer has brakes". This is true, but what if those brakes fail? Not likely, but could happen. Will your truck stop the trailer safely? The F150 does provide braking in tow mode using the transmission, but no gas engine can provide engine braking like a diesel. I want my truck to control the trailer, not the other way around.

The F250 is my daily driver, yes it bounces around a bit more than the F150 but I've driven trucks all my life. So what. The modern diesels are also very quiet compared to their predecessors. F250 -21 Mpg non towing - 18-19 towing. F150 - 20-21 non-towing, 14-15 towing. Yes, Diesel maintenance is more $ , and that it is a consideration.

Finally, in regards to the generator:
I don't know that much about the on-board Ford unit. I do think however it's not as cut and dry as you may think. There are threads on the forum about this. Just seems like a lot of working parts to malfunction, and difficult and very expensive to diagnose and repair. Give me a $1000 Honda 2220 all day long and it will run forever without issue.

Anyway...just my 2 cents, and really that's all its worth.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
All great comments and thank you. Doesn't seem the hybrid/generator piece changes the debate much at all. Keeping with the 3/4 ton plans.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I have a 2020 23BF GT and tow it with a F250 Power Stoke. I towed with a F250 gas TV, got 7-8 MPG. With the Diesel I get 13-14 MPG at 70 - 75 MPH. Have power to keep up with the speed limit going up into the mountains, 7000 feet above sea level. The reserve power makes a big difference when you need it.
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
All great comments and thank you. Doesn't seem the hybrid/generator piece changes the debate much at all. Keeping with the 3/4 ton plans.
Good decision.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote