Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Ford F-250 Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I am getting ready to purchase a TPMS system for a Classic 33 towed with a 2017 Ford F 250. Has anyone purchased the Ford accessory which monitors the trailer tire pressure and installed it on an Airstream trailer?
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have it and it is better than any aftermarket unit out there.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I have it on my 2017 250 and my 2017 Classic 30. I had discount tire install the sensors and I installed the rest. It was straightforward and works perfectly. The integration with the 250 is very convenient.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
Shayne

2015 30' Classic
spicewood , Texas
F250 tire pressure monitor for trailer

I just bought a 2019F250 and was thinking of adding the trailer monitor but have some questions.
!. did you purchase thru Ford dealership? and cost?
2. does the system work off off blue tooth or hardwire?
3. difficulty of self install?
thanks
JSBERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have the Ford TPMS system (without the camera—more on that in a bit) on a 2019 F-250 that I took delivery on last November.

First, your truck needs to have Ford’s Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System. If it doesn’t and all you need is TPMS, consider just getting an aftermarket TPMS system because it will be expensive to add.

The install of the TPMS system is pretty straightforward...replace the tire valves with the TPMS stems (I had the Airstream dealer do this since they had the wheels off for a lift kit anyway, but it’s a straightforward job), pop out the 7-way plug on the back of the truck and replace it with a new plug that has both 7 and 12 way connectors, attach the TPMS sensor box to the Airstream (I drilled and bolted onto the back of the battery box) and route the cable. Other than stems the install took me maybe 45m.

The stems are bluetooth. I do not know about aftermarket systems but they “wake up” by driving on them for a minute or so. This is slightly inconvenient because I’d love to top off tires at the campsite before taking off, but the system’s main advantage—using the dash and not needing another monitor/display in the cab—far outweighs any drawbacks in the stem activation routine (which may in fact be required for other systems too, not sure). The dash display is great and based on tests with a gauge, the system is accurate.

I originally bought the camera as well but ended up selling it for two reasons—first, my Airstream already has a camera, and second, the Airstream camera works all the time like a rear view mirror (i.e. not just when backing up). The Ford camera is wired, which wasn’t an issue for me (and in fact would perform better) but as cool as the trailer backup camera system is, I decided I didn’t need that as well as the Airstream camera.

You can purchase at a Ford dealership or through a webstore place called Nichols Manufacturing (they are great, by the way, and very helpful). Consider getting a TPMS stem for your spare as well in case you need it (the system supports up to 6 or 8 tires, I think).
Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
I’m on the fence on tpms. I got new tires and metal valve stems on trailer, then I bought a 2019 f250. I like the idea of screw on caps to replace batteries when needed and no tire removal. I also like the idea of no added excessories added to dash of the ford system.

If you have to move to wake is the system how does that effect the one on the spare? Not trying to be smart but trying to understand.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I suggest getting one for the spare so that if you have to put the spare on it has a monitor on it.

When I ordered my Airstream I had the steel spare rim swapped out for an identical aluminum rim. So if I do have a flat, I can swap out the wheel and take my time replacing or repairing the flat.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
nyrn, thanks for the explanation I understand now. I also got a new rim and tire for the spare as well.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
JacKim

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Zavalla , TX
Ford's TPMS

Does it alert (sound or light) you of low pressure in a trailer tire? Or do you have to keep watching the pressures of the tires?
Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacKim View Post
Does it alert (sound or light) you of low pressure in a trailer tire? Or do you have to keep watching the pressures of the tires?
Per the Ford owner's manual:

If the trailer tire pressure monitoring
system detects that a tire is low, a warning
message appears in the information
display. The trailer tire pressure status
screen in the information display highlights
the tire with a low pressure.

FWIW, I have the Ford trailer TPMS and it was both easy to install (pressure monitors themselves need to be installed at a tire shop unless you can dismount your own tires ) and works really well.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote