Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #41
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Shipping weight isn’t curb weight. Curb weight is defined by government agencies such as the NHTSA, to a standard definition, and includes a full tank of fuel, as an example. Shipping weight is what the manufacturer told the shipper the vehicle weighs.

Start with fuel at 6 lbs per gallon. And then see if any items were shipped separately.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
That’s pretty good payload. Can you confirm a few things on this configuration:
1) is this the hybrid powered?
2) XLT? And what trim package? Mid, high, chrome, sport, STX
3) max tow package?
4) heavy duty payload package? (This is different than max tow)
5) is this the 2WD or 4x4?
A picture of the window sticker would be fabulous.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
GVR Tag Information:
GVWR 7350, Front Axle 3750, Rear Axle 4150
with 275/60R20 Tires

Subtract shipping weight (aka curb weight) of 5066 from 7350 GVWR, you get 2284 lbs.

Tire and Loading Info Tag says, based on the tires that I have, I only get 1843 lbs
Attachment 408323

Riddle me this: Where does the difference of 441 lbs go? Into thin air?

Here's the truck itself, what a beauty!
Attachment 408321
I knew the 2284lb number you quoted initially was optimistic. I'm glad you now have the sticker to validate the true number for the 4x2. The 4x4 will probably come in at least a couple of hundred pounds under that 1834 figure.

All else being equal, I would absolutely vote in favor of the 4x4. However, if the 4x4 comes in around 1600 or less, and with a real-world tongue weight of 1100+ lbs on your 27' FB Globetrotter, you will be up against it payload-wise. Given the choice you're faced with, I would probably select the 4x2.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Shipping weight isn’t curb weight. Curb weight is defined by government agencies such as the NHTSA, to a standard definition, and includes a full tank of fuel, as an example. Shipping weight is what the manufacturer told the shipper the vehicle weighs.

Start with fuel at 6 lbs per gallon. And then see if any items were shipped separately.
Good call. It has a 30.6 gallon tank, let's fill it up at 6 lbs a gallon, that's 183 lbs. Dealer advised they ship with 4 gallons, so then 24 gallons to top it off..144 lbs, so that's 5225 lbs with full tank of gas, less GVWR for 2125 "payload"

Tire and Loading sticker says 1843.

We still have a difference of 282 lbs. I want to know how to claim that for payload.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Ford XLT 2WD Powerboost Window Sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
That’s pretty good payload. Can you confirm a few things on this configuration:
1) is this the hybrid powered?
2) XLT? And what trim package? Mid, high, chrome, sport, STX
3) max tow package?
4) heavy duty payload package? (This is different than max tow)
5) is this the 2WD or 4x4?
A picture of the window sticker would be fabulous.
Here you go!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	2WD_XLT.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	408328
Old 11-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
In some cases the manufacturer builds the truck with plain steel wheels and then the dealer installs the fancy ones. That could explain a few more pounds.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:47 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
True, but wait a minute..let's check those numbers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I knew the 2284lb number you quoted initially was optimistic. I'm glad you now have the sticker to validate the true number for the 4x2. The 4x4 will probably come in at least a couple of hundred pounds under that 1834 figure.

All else being equal, I would absolutely vote in favor of the 4x4. However, if the 4x4 comes in around 1600 or less, and with a real-world tongue weight of 1100+ lbs on your 27' FB Globetrotter, you will be up against it payload-wise. Given the choice you're faced with, I would probably select the 4x2.
Mikeinca, you are correct. I plugged in the numbers on my towing calculator worksheet that I downloaded from Big Rock Moto (YouTube vlogger) he's a fanatic about this stuff. His excel spread sheet has formulas that add a 10% safety margin to everything. I attached my file as an example.

After I plug in all the numbers, and using this rather severe tire rating payload of 1843, and the fact that I am traveling solo, that leaves me with 356 lbs pounds for cargo.

This XLT Powerboost also comes with the Pro Power 7.2 kw generator, so I won't be needing to get one of those

Thank you for your valuable feedback!! Much appreciated!!

Towing Calculator_XLT2WD.xlsx
Old 11-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
You're welcome. Safe travels and enjoy your new rig!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Riddle me this: Where does the difference of 441 lbs go? Into thin air?"

Not really sure. But every set of specs I have see is like this. The payload is always less than the sum of the axle ratings.

One place the wt could go is in just how they calculate the payload. If the 150 lb driver and the full tank of fuel are in addition to the payload number (and I think that is generally the case) then there is your difference. Another possibility is that the manafacturer does not think that the payload will be evenly distributed to the axles and whatever he load tested with maxed one of the axle ratings at that payload.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
GM does not include a weight for the driver in their payload calculation, but they do include a full tank of fuel. This is stated in their literature. I don't know about Ford's calculation.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
GM does not include a weight for the driver in their payload calculation, but they do include a full tank of fuel. This is stated in their literature. I don't know about Ford's calculation.
Yes, Dennis, I am sure Ford has it explained somewhere deep in their literature, with all sorts of footnotes and disclaimers. The Ford dealer said they don't publish the curb weight anymore because it is difficult to determine exactly what that is, because of all the different components coming from all different suppliers...
Old 11-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Yes, Dennis, I am sure Ford has it explained somewhere deep in their literature, with all sorts of footnotes and disclaimers. The Ford dealer said they don't publish the curb weight anymore because it is difficult to determine exactly what that is, because of all the different components coming from all different suppliers...
Yeah, he may be giving you the convenient answer. When I worked for GM, there was an internally published list (electronic now) of EVERY possible option and it's weight....down to the difference between alternators, etc. This is now built into the spec'ing software that every dealer has access to. Find the fleet guy at your store. I doubt anyone else knows it even exists.

And, curb weight is published on the build sheet for your vehicle.

All of these numbers, down to the ounce are required by FMVSS when the VIN specific door jamb label is produced, although you have to back into curb weight.

Personally (after purchase of course) I determine my own "curb weight" after addition of bed liner, side steps, mudflaps, soft topper, driver, full fuel and all permanent items in the truck (like emergency kit, jumper battery, small compressor, glove box and console items, etc).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #53
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Quote:
One issue is that there are multiple definitions of payload.

The payload as indicated on the FMVSS label is defined in law. That payload calculation does not include an allowance for a driver or any passengers. It does include all fluids at full.

When people calculate their payload by taking the GVWR and deducting the scaled weight of their vehicle, they are including any accessories they have added to the vehicle, such as a topper or bed cover.

When we talk about the tow rating as defined by the SAE test procedure, there is an allowance for a 150 lb driver, and a 150 lb passenger, and tow ratings often get talked about at the same time as payload ratings, and the manufacturers can put both ratings in the same chart, so those allowances get conflated between tow ratings and payload ratings.

When a manufacture publishes a guide, such as the Ford towing guide, they can specify the ratings any way they like, as long as they define them. So, when Ford says that the cargo capacity of their pickup is xxx, and discusses the weight of a slide in camper, (in their annual RV and Trailer Towing Guide) they make an allowance for the weight of a 150 lb person in every available truck seating position. They make a subtle terminology shift to cargo capacity instead of payload capacity, but these two get conflated as well.

For curb weight, there is an official curb weight for a vehicle, defined by the NHTSA. It states "Curb weight means the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment; maximum capacity of engine fuel, oil, and coolant; and, if so equipped, air conditioning and additional weight optional engine." So, optional engines and air conditioning are included, but there is no mention of any other vehicle options, in this legal definition of curb weight. Measured curb weight will include all of the options installed on a specific vehicle.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
One issue is that there are multiple definitions of payload.

The payload as indicated on the FMVSS label is defined in law. That payload calculation does not include an allowance for a driver or any passengers. It does include all fluids at full.

When people calculate their payload by taking the GVWR and deducting the scaled weight of their vehicle, they are including any accessories they have added to the vehicle, such as a topper or bed cover.

When we talk about the tow rating as defined by the SAE test procedure, there is an allowance for a 150 lb driver, and a 150 lb passenger, and tow ratings often get talked about at the same time as payload ratings, and the manufacturers can put both ratings in the same chart, so those allowances get conflated between tow ratings and payload ratings.

When a manufacture publishes a guide, such as the Ford towing guide, they can specify the ratings any way they like, as long as they define them. So, when Ford says that the cargo capacity of their pickup is xxx, and discusses the weight of a slide in camper, (in their annual RV and Trailer Towing Guide) they make an allowance for the weight of a 150 lb person in every available truck seating position. They make a subtle terminology shift to cargo capacity instead of payload capacity, but these two get conflated as well.

For curb weight, there is an official curb weight for a vehicle, defined by the NHTSA. It states "Curb weight means the weight of a motor vehicle with standard equipment; maximum capacity of engine fuel, oil, and coolant; and, if so equipped, air conditioning and additional weight optional engine." So, optional engines and air conditioning are included, but there is no mention of any other vehicle options, in this legal definition of curb weight. Measured curb weight will include all of the options installed on a specific vehicle.
That's the bottom line, then, for curb weight. Fill the tank with gas, drive the truck to a scale, get out of the truck, and then weigh it. Subtract that scaled weight from the GVWR, and you have your true curb weight. Did I get that correct, JCL?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
4wd vs 2wd

Does anyone else follow the "LOLOHO" folks on Youtube? They have been towing a 25' AS all over the country, parts of Canada and up to Alaska for the past 13 or 14 years with a Ford F250 Supercab 6.0 Deisel with 2wd!!! I think they did post a video about having gotten stuck one time when they were chasing a perfect place to take a picture. A farmer pulled them out.

Now, if they can do all that without much of a problem I think that 2wd can pretty much fill the bill if you use some common sense. They camp on BLM lands and many videos show them out in the middle of nowhere on some not so great roads. Just my 2 cents worth.

As to payload ratings, the door sticker is the final word. It all depends on trim level and optional equipment. 4wd will cost you some payload as well as cost more $$$ upfront. Individual decision.

Yes,I tow with a 2wd with LSD. TV is a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with 5.4 engine and factory tow package, 3.73 axle, 8600 lb GVWR, 3700 lb front axle, 5120 lb rear axle and a great 2538 lb payload rating. Tows like a champ!!!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Yes, I do subscribe to LOLOHO, Sean and Christy...I had no idea their truck was a 2WD!!
Old 11-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I went with 4x2 F-150 but added the electronic traction option; which has saved me twice when I pulled off roads with softer shoulders than I realized. It's a round knob printed with ON and OFF on it. When you need it, you turn it ON and drive forward as straight as possible and angle back onto the road. I believe it employs all 4 tires when ON. As soon as you're on solid ground again, you turn it OFF and be on your way again. This from the Owner's Manual.
That's the Electronic Axle Lock. It does not provide any motive power to the front wheels, but it locks the rear differential until you get to about 25 mph so that the rear wheels turn at the same rate regardless of traction. It's better to have than not, but isn't 4WD.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #58
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
That's the bottom line, then, for curb weight. Fill the tank with gas, drive the truck to a scale, get out of the truck, and then weigh it. Subtract that scaled weight from the GVWR, and you have your true curb weight. Did I get that correct, JCL?
Yes.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Something to keep in the back of your mind:
You can always change your gear ratio if you find trouble climbing hills. I went from the OEM 3.73 to a G2 4.56 and a 5 Star Tune. Big difference.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
3.55 Electronic Lock RR Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
That's the Electronic Axle Lock. It does not provide any motive power to the front wheels, but it locks the rear differential until you get to about 25 mph so that the rear wheels turn at the same rate regardless of traction. It's better to have than not, but isn't 4WD.
Yes! Thank you for pointing this out to me. This unit comes with a 3.55 Electronic Lock RR Axle, and from my research, tells me that it could help me get out of a jam if I do get stuck in some loose gravel or wet grass. Glad to see that was included. Thanks again!