Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Also, I don't think you mentioned where you are going, but if you have some time when you reach your destination you will greatly benefit by sitting in the Max with the owners manual and working through everything page-by-page. You will be amazed by how many goodies the vehicle has on it. I spent a large part of two days working every switch and going through every menu while using the owners manual as the guide. I doubt that the dealer will be able to scratch the surface with his instructions--not enough time to cover everything.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hi Bob; thanks for all your help. I just looked, and my council doesn't have that switch, i'll keep looking.

For the trip, I am meeting up with about 25 other A$$ers in LeRoy Illinois. We meet 2nd week end in June for past 18 years. As for time; there will be ? guys going through every nook and cranny in it. Just like trailer tours. you could follow posts for Moraine View rally.
The dealer inservice is to be 2-3 hours long and 1 on 1.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Celina , TX
2020 Ford Expedition TV

There's a lot of great experience in the posts about using the Expedition as a TV. We're shopping for our first AS and are leaning toward smaller dual axle FC (25 ft or 23 ft). Our plans involve a lot of towing in the Rockies and the Smoky Mountains.

The 23FB has a GVWR of 6,000 while the 25RB is at 7,300. The 2020 Expedition 4x4 with the HD Trailer Pkg and 3.73 axle is supposed to have a max trailer weight of 9200. I remain a little skeptical about towing with a V-6 gasoline engine.

Skepticism aside, it looks like the 2020 Expy could safely handle the challenge, but does anyone have actual mountain towing experience with the Expedition? Does the Expedition have enough climbing power and, more importantly, enough stopping power?
Texasbr549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbr549 View Post
There's a lot of great experience in the posts about using the Expedition as a TV. We're shopping for our first AS and are leaning toward smaller dual axle FC (25 ft or 23 ft). Our plans involve a lot of towing in the Rockies and the Smoky Mountains.

The 23FB has a GVWR of 6,000 while the 25RB is at 7,300. The 2020 Expedition 4x4 with the HD Trailer Pkg and 3.73 axle is supposed to have a max trailer weight of 9200. I remain a little skeptical about towing with a V-6 gasoline engine.

Skepticism aside, it looks like the 2020 Expy could safely handle the challenge, but does anyone have actual mountain towing experience with the Expedition? Does the Expedition have enough climbing power and, more importantly, enough stopping power?
I have the Lincoln version. The engine is amazing for towing. Torque way down low in the rev range. The 10 speed transmission downshifts automatically when in tow mode. I have not done any mountain towing, but the engine should not be an issue. Stopping power should be as capable as any 1/2 ton.

Edit: I tow a 2019 FC 25RBT. Also, I don't think stopping power is the right question. I'm reasonably sure a 1/2 ton truck will typically stop in shorter distances than a 3/4 ton truck. I think the issue is control in an unusual maneuver, like having to slow in a downhill curve where the trailer is pushing the truck into oversteer. There, the bigger truck will clearly do better controlling the trailer.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We used to tow our 27FB with a Ford Expedition with the HD tow package. It had 9200 lbs max tow and 920 lbs max tongue. It also had a payload of 1550. Our actual tongue weight loaded for travel was between 1100 lbs to 1200 lbs. I was worried about tongue weight and payload. After tongue weight, wasn't much capacity for payload left.

It towed well, but felt like it was at the max. Also in the mountains of N Carolina, it had power to handle to hills, but on decent, revved high on the rpms.

We finally upgraded to a 2020 Ford F350 diesel and the power way better in the mountains and the engine braking with diesel is a real joy to travel with. I hope this helps.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We tow our 25' RB Flying Cloud with a 2018 Expy Max. It has been on two trips from SC to Salt Lake City. I was also skeptical about a V6 having had the V8 in a 2008 Expy. But the V6 outperforms the V8 hands down. Unfortunately in the fuel mileage department when towing and those turbos are in use, the V6 eats about as much fuel as the V8. As to mountain performance, the V6 easily is better; I was totally surprised at how much better. I'm sure you've studied the torque and HP numbers, so it is easy to see why. And I've never encountered a situation where I've felt there was not enough stopping power. I think you'll be very happy towing either the 23 or 25; personally I would not want anything larger because that would start really pushing weight limits.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #47
BRS
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , AZ
I have a 2019 expedition with tow package pulling a 2011 23fb. Tows like a dream. Live in Phoenix and the climb to flagstaff is 6000. This past summer I traveled up thru Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho. Never had an issue. I can easily maintain highway speed on all climbs. Towgotee pass was a breeze. I considered towing up and over Teton pass , I knew going up would not be a problem , I was more concerned about the descent so went around. Not towing I get 21 mpg, towing is 12 mpg, my composite for a 5 month trip was 18 mpg, love this tow vehicle
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote