Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Salisbury , Maryland
Been towing a 34’ Classic on the easternshore/flat areas with a 5.4 litre/gas Excursion for a few years. All is good!
Would want a larger engine if I was heading to the montains.
Streemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajmonty View Post
I have been towing my 2015 30' Flying Cloud FBB with my 2005 Excursion and can tell you that I have had great results.
I have the same truck and trailer. I’m curious about your leaf spring replacements. I was going to do that then I felt it might be harder on the trailer and occupants. What is your experience with the change?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Salisbury , Maryland
Excursion

We have been pulling a 34’ Classic for 10+ yrs with our 5.4 gas Excursion. All good is good on our flat eastern shore; would want a bigger engine if going to the mountains.
Streemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #44

1966 20' Globetrotter
Globe , Arizona
My Excursion 7.3

I currently tow my '66 Globetrotter with a 2001 4X4 Excursion with the 7.3L.

The last TV I had was a Land Rover Series 2A.

The Land Rover was my daily driver while I owned it and currently the Excursion is my daily driver.

I bought the Excursion in 2010 with about 155000 miles on it and am currently crossing 290000 miles. My mechanic and I are estimating driving it for another 200000 miles.

If I had it to do over I would probably have a 4X4 F250 with the 7.3L. Because of a few trips to CA I would like to have more than 44 gallons of fuel. Last time I was in CA fuel was over a $1 more expensive than it was in AZ. I might go to CA more often if I could double my fuel capacity. There are larger tanks for the Excursion but I do not want to give up ground clearance for the times I am in 4 wheel drive on forest service roads.

I am averaging 19 MPG driving in the mountains of AZ west of Phoenix about 90 miles.

I have had no problems pulling the Airstream or other trailers that I have pulled, cargo trailers, car haulers, etc. We just took a trip to Brookings, SD to see our niece receive her PhD and back to AZ trough Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Flaming Gorge, and Salt River Canyon.

Part of my results is that most of my vehicles have been high profile 4x4s and so I consider their handling to be normal. I also am rarely in a hurry, even less so now that I am retired.

Mike
2001 7.3L Excursion
1966 Globetrotter
Mike_cfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Hi all,

We are in the midst of purchasing a 2007 27FB Classic with a 9000 GVR. My wife doesn't care for pickups so I am looking for a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel or the Ford v10.

Has anyone had any experience towing an 8 to 10K trailer with an Excursion?
Any input would be appreciated and if the excursion work works it will be an F250 Super Duty.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Although I only have the 20, I bought an Expedition because I am not a truck person. I LOVE IT...
vdigby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:53 AM   #46
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_cfi View Post
I currently tow my '66 Globetrotter with a 2001 4X4 Excursion with the 7.3L.

The last TV I had was a Land Rover Series 2A.

The Land Rover was my daily driver while I owned it and currently the Excursion is my daily driver.

I bought the Excursion in 2010 with about 155000 miles on it and am currently crossing 290000 miles. My mechanic and I are estimating driving it for another 200000 miles.

If I had it to do over I would probably have a 4X4 F250 with the 7.3L. Because of a few trips to CA I would like to have more than 44 gallons of fuel. Last time I was in CA fuel was over a $1 more expensive than it was in AZ. I might go to CA more often if I could double my fuel capacity. There are larger tanks for the Excursion but I do not want to give up ground clearance for the times I am in 4 wheel drive on forest service roads.

I am averaging 19 MPG driving in the mountains of AZ west of Phoenix about 90 miles.

I have had no problems pulling the Airstream or other trailers that I have pulled, cargo trailers, car haulers, etc. We just took a trip to Brookings, SD to see our niece receive her PhD and back to AZ trough Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Flaming Gorge, and Salt River Canyon.

Part of my results is that most of my vehicles have been high profile 4x4s and so I consider their handling to be normal. I also am rarely in a hurry, even less so now that I am retired.

Mike
2001 7.3L Excursion
1966 Globetrotter
Hi Mike, welcome from Tucson. Been through Globe many, many times going to the lakes, and to the White Mountains. I have a 7.3 as well (F350) and I doubt if we will ever see another light truck diesel engine that reliable.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I have the same truck and trailer. I’m curious about your leaf spring replacements. I was going to do that then I felt it might be harder on the trailer and occupants. What is your experience with the change?
1.25” of height, now I actually have some clearance between the rubber bump stop and springs in the front. Somewhat stiffer ride, maybe less comfortable day to day, but helpful under load/towing. Worth noting that I also installed Airlifft 5000 bags in the back for additional stability and leveling. I also upgraded to 19.5” wheels with 32” 14 ply tires recently so I anticipate even more stability. As for the springs, they are a match fit, heavier duty with no modification. They simply put lower capacity softer springs on the factory Excursion to make it softer riding. 157,000 miles and I see this rig lasting beyond 2030.
Putting the new springs in it was worth every penny and I could not recommend it more.
If ever you are being passed comfortably by a green Excursion, uphill or down,, it is probably me!
kajmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gig Harbor , Washington
BTW, my wife is comfortable driving with the tin can behind the Excursion as a result of what has been modified. Sharing the drive is so much nicer!
kajmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
You will have no problem towing with a Excursion. Either with the V-10 gas version or the 6.0L or 7.3L diesel. I have owned both. I retired my '03 Excursion at 411,000 miles. It towed a '02 34' slideout & a '06 slideout all over the USA. Both had towing weights in excess of 10,000 lbs. The only limitation is that the rear springs are under rated for your tongue weight. This was easily corrected with air-bag load levelers.
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Hi all,

We are in the midst of purchasing a 2007 27FB Classic with a 9000 GVR. My wife doesn't care for pickups so I am looking for a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel or the Ford v10.

Has anyone had any experience towing an 8 to 10K trailer with an Excursion?
Any input would be appreciated and if the excursion work works it will be an F250 Super Duty.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Hi Mark, I had an experience about six months ago that might portend another tow vehicle choice for those like your wife that do not like pickups. I was in Flagstaff AZ during the middle of last winter and pulled into a gas station to fill up. As I stopped at the pumps, I couldn't help but notice what appeared to be a full-size suv totally covered in a dark camouflage material fueling up on the opposite side of my pump.
It was similar in size to a Suburban or Expedition. What immediately caught my attention was that it was being fueled from the DIESEL pump. I casually walked by it looking for any tell-tale sign of the vehicle's make but could see nothing. It was entirely covered up. Even the center hubs on the wheels had silver tape covering any possible brand insignia or name. As the driver finished filling the tank and was getting back in the vehicle, I walked up to him and inquired what kind of vehicle it was. He said he couldn't disclose anything other than it was a pre-production vehicle undergoing testing. As he was speaking to me with the front door open, I glanced inside it and right in the middle of the steering wheel hub was emblazoned JEEP.
I have a Dodge Ram pickup with the Cummins and know it's sound. I can confirm that when the driver started the engine and drove away, I heard the unmistakable sound of a Cummins diesel. Given that, I believe the suv I saw was one of the upcoming Grand Wagoneers slated to be introduced by Jeep. If so, you might have the option of going with a new tow vehicle that is not a pickup, but will most likely be just as capable as the much-loved Excursion discussed here.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Mike,

As someone that owns a 7.3 in all three, Excursion, F250 Short-bed, F250 Long-bed, I can tell you the Excursion has the largest tank of all coming in at 44gal, the F250 Short-bed 29gal, F250 Long-bed 38gal.. Of course, you can add a pony tank to either of the trucks to carry extra fuel, though I've not seen it for the Excursion.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Quote:
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension as well. I actually really appreciate the soft springs, it's like a F250 but much more gentle on the Airstream. I see that as a positive.

Also a 2005 here but it came with factory sway bars front and rear, did you replace the factory bars for the Helwig?
D =ad's mmm m r e ere ewer r
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Quote:
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension as well. I actually really appreciate the soft springs, it's like a F250 but much more gentle on the Airstream. I see that as a positive.

Also a 2005 here but it came with factory sway bars front and rear, did you replace the factory bars for the Helwig?
Re÷r÷see
Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Excursion

Quote:
I tow with one and love it. Take advice from those who actually own one.
Best answer,,,,,,,,,and one that addresses the OP's original question. As to the V-10, years ago many of the hotel vans and shuttles in Orlando chose the V-10 over diesels to save initial cost. They have since realized that the V-10 was just as durable as diesel and that parts were less expensive than diesels. I see many of those shuttles and vans going thru the auctions with over 300,000 miles on 'em and they still run strong!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So what is the best mirror replacement to give me a usable spot mirror on the right side?

Center of Gravity, I don't see that as a big issue. It is a much more stable vehicle towing or not than a pickup. I had an incident where I had my sway bar too loose in the rain like the instructions said and the trailer started swaying. The 31 foot Excella II was all over the road and the Excursion was solid as a rock till I got my hands on the brake controller and calmed the trailer down. It could have been ugly. I also forgot to connect my trailer connector and did not realize the trailer had no brakes till I got to a rest stop. This vehicle has lots of margin as far as I am concerned.

I grew up driving a 68 Dodge Van with no power anything and no AC. The Excursion handles like a sports car compared to that.

Yes the V10 Excursion is a pig on gas but it takes very little maintenance. No SCA, no fuel additives, no injectors that go bad, no head gasket problems, no fuel filters that need replacing often. So DEF or soot catchers etc. I also paid $7000 for it not $70,000. It spends zero time in the shop unlike trendy tow vehicles from Europe. The Terminators will be driving my Ex around long after I am gone LOL.

Perry
Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #56
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So what is the best mirror replacement to give me a usable spot mirror on the right side?

Center of Gravity, I don't see that as a big issue. It is a much more stable vehicle towing or not than a pickup.

Perry
I don't exactly follow you on that, the EX is built on the F250 chassis, how can it have a lower COG than the F250?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It doesn’t. It’s worse.

A station wagons worth of glass and tailgate levered out over the rear axle. And inferior rear suspension OEM.

Good reasons Ford dropped this thing. It can’t get out of its own way. Or stop itself.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It doesn’t. It’s worse.

A station wagons worth of glass and tailgate levered out over the rear axle. And inferior rear suspension OEM.

Good reasons Ford dropped this thing. It can’t get out of its own way. Or stop itself.
Could be worse, like trying to tow with a 2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
It doesn’t. It’s worse.

If you can’t stop an Excursion or get it to handle in traffic, you’re doing it wrong. I seriously question driver ability with all the swerving, sudden stops and emergency maneuvers I read about on here. I drove a fire truck in emergency mode and had fewer issues than some folks on here, and I had 49 ft length and air brakes that faded like crazy.

Adjust your following distance and expectations.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You ever even driven one of these?

Perry

Quote:
It doesn’t. It’s worse.