Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Excursion was worst tow vehicle of past twenty years for what counts: steering, braking &. handling.

None of these trailers “needs” a pickup. Or is better with one.

There’s a large range of vehicle choices better suited.

Solo needs are more important. Start there.
Really? Guess I better get rid of mine now! What are you basing that on? Did you own one? Have you towed with one that has been setup properly? Again, I have been towing with mine for over 13 years and have never had a close call or felt scared in anyway while hauling with it. Had the brakes fail in my 38' camper and the Excursion stopped the entire rig just fine. I am really dumbfounded by your comment.

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin8or View Post
Really? Guess I better get rid of mine now! What are you basing that on? Did you own one? Have you towed with one that has been setup properly? Again, I have been towing with mine for over 13 years and have never had a close call or felt scared in anyway while hauling with it. Had the brakes fail in my 38' camper and the Excursion stopped the entire rig just fine. I am really dumbfounded by your comment.

You new here? [emoji3]

One guy's $0.02 - Slow has tons of threads and comments in here that I personally love. Others mileage varies - some might say his posts are an acquired taste. [emoji3]

I sort of imagine him like the professor in the Paper Chase - not gonna be an easy A but there's good stuff in there. Would definitely suggest looking over his stuff and Ron Graetz too. Don't trade in the Excursion by any means! But good to have an understanding of the reason behind the comments (truth be told, he tows with a pickup too, shhhhhh! [emoji3]).

As do I. I would love to be able to follow his advice - driver first - and one lower to the ground, more flat footed and stable. But I love my honking Chevy 2500 diesel for towing and admit it's a chore as a daily driver.

Back in the 90s I worked with a guy who had a MASSIVE Excursion - biggest SUV I'd ever seen. I'm sure it hauls your trailer just fine! Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You new here? [emoji3]

One guy's $0.02 - Slow has tons of threads and comments in here that I personally love. Others mileage varies - some might say his posts are an acquired taste. [emoji3]

I sort of imagine him like the professor in the Paper Chase - not gonna be an easy A but there's good stuff in there. Would definitely suggest looking over his stuff and Ron Graetz too. Don't trade in the Excursion by any means! But good to have an understanding of the reason behind the comments (truth be told, he tows with a pickup too, shhhhhh! [emoji3]).

As do I. I would love to be able to follow his advice - driver first - and one lower to the ground, more flat footed and stable. But I love my honking Chevy 2500 diesel for towing and admit it's a chore as a daily driver.

Back in the 90s I worked with a guy who had a MASSIVE Excursion - biggest SUV I'd ever seen. I'm sure it hauls your trailer just fine! Happy camping!
Bingo! New here! I appreciate your comment I am sure I will come to appreciate Slow's comments down the road!

Well, I would agree with him on steering and handling on an experience level. The Ex is not the worlds best, but that is why it is important to set it up correctly, just like setting up a Porsche to pull one of these things. However, just like pulling with a Porsche is not my cup of tea, if someone can pull it off, more power to them!

I have also been pulling my trailers with a Hensley Arrow, which I see that Slow also has, which I know, from experience, makes a HUGE difference. Again, that is all part of the setup.

I took note of a comment that Slow recently made on another post that I agree with. (paraphrasing here) Maybe some people have not had experience towing with other vehicles to know a good one from a bad one. I can honestly say, I have only towed my larger campers with the Excursion. So, I can't honestly say that it is the best tow vehicle compared to others. I can only speak from what I know and have experienced, and I am all about experience, which I do have with the OPs original question. I have had nothing but a great experience with my Excursion.

Not looking to argue with Slow here, just want to make sure someone's experience is not swished away by a negative blanket statement that may have had no experience towing with the vehicle in question. That is why I asked if he has owned one and/or towed with one.

Cheers to the both of you!! No hard feelings Slow! I don't want to be 'that guy' that argues with everyone!

Old 06-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Good to hear the positive experiences with the older Excursion diesels. I was recently considering a new 2018 Expedition given that our family of 5 + gear + recently acquired 30’ Argosy is making the Jeep GC diesel a bit cramped as well near capacity. I have a hard time shelling out 70K for a tow vehicle though. Especially one that would not be a very good daily driver for my needs. I’ve seen only unfavorable reports on the anticipated 2019 Expedition diesel version.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Not important , New Jersey
An excursion can pull down a house I have a friend with a 7.3 think he is around 10k because of miles , have another friend who specializes in excursions he is in NJ you can shoot a text 5182580081 as far as towing there awesome vehicles v10 is great but what a pig on fuel 10 mpg if your lucky
Oh_this_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #26
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I sort of imagine him like the professor in the Paper Chase - not gonna be an easy A but there's good stuff in there.

yep I've learned to slowly pick through his posts and maybe add a grain of salt here and there but there is definitely some good stuff there. Seeing practically the whole US towing with high COG vehicles, which I somehow knew was not the best choice from way back when I was a whippersnapper but those thoughts have been much negated over the years from watching the surge in high COG vehicles which are chosen by practically everyone who tows or not. Lately I have a new respect for them and a refreshed interest in driving them more safely, keeping the knowledge of what they are and how they will handle in an emergency foremost in my head (yes I will tow with one too, a 7.3 F350, but partly because at 6'3" and 245 lbs I really do need a large vehicle for solo, I am horribly uncomfortable in most passenger vehicles and suffer back problems trying to drive one even short distances. And partly because I already own it, it's paid for, and it's the best truck ever made!)

If the high COG of the Excursion worries anyone though, there is a simple solution:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bagged ex.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	312636  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

As someone that has over 400,000 miles on a 2002 7.3 Excursion, I’ve used it to pull an Airstream from Florida to Nova Scotia, Tobermory, Canada to Macon GA, as far west as Springfield, MO and all up and down the east coast more times that I can even remember, I can say the Excursion with a 7.3 is one of the best tow rigs if you have things setup correctly. Finally after 376,000 miles last year we had to replace the transmission, but no other major work.
I'm sure those that hate them know more than I, but if you got a nice one for sale, I’m interested.
Enjoy,
Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
...snip...

If the high COG of the Excursion worries anyone though, there is a simple solution:

Yes! I want THAT!!!![emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I tow with one and love it. Take advice from those who actually own one.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:12 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
My Excursion has been absolutely awesome towing. I did 2 modifications to correct a couple items I thought it was lacking in.
I installed the Road Master rear suspension system to the springs, in my opinion Ford made the rear end a little soft to smooth out the ride for soccer mom buyers.
I also added a Helwig rear sway bar, I'm not sure why they didn't come with one from the factory, it had a weird pull when getting passed by tractor trailers on the highway. The sway bar completely corrected this issue.
I love my v-10, no problems at all with 125,000 miles so far, just keep drilling and I'll keep feeding the 44 gallon tank.
I have a 2005 and will never sell it.
Enjoy.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldencove View Post
My Excursion has been absolutely awesome towing. I did 2 modifications to correct a couple items I thought it was lacking in.
I installed the Road Master rear suspension system to the springs, in my opinion Ford made the rear end a little soft to smooth out the ride for soccer mom buyers.
I also added a Helwig rear sway bar, I'm not sure why they didn't come with one from the factory, it had a weird pull when getting passed by tractor trailers on the highway. The sway bar completely corrected this issue.
I love my v-10, no problems at all with 125,000 miles so far, just keep drilling and I'll keep feeding the 44 gallon tank.
I have a 2005 and will never sell it.
Enjoy.
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension as well. I actually really appreciate the soft springs, it's like a F250 but much more gentle on the Airstream. I see that as a positive.

Also a 2005 here but it came with factory sway bars front and rear, did you replace the factory bars for the Helwig?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Excursion was worst tow vehicle of past twenty years for what counts: steering, braking &. handling.

None of these trailers “needs” a pickup. Or is better with one.

There’s a large range of vehicle choices better suited.

Solo needs are more important. Start there.
If you need lightning fast handling while towing you’re doing it wrong. Wish they still made the Excursion. It’s an awesome truck.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I thought there was talk of the Excursion coming back?
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
There is a big huge difference involved if your TV serves double duty as your daily driver.
A luxury not everyone can afford, but my diesel HD pickup serves as Home Depot visitor/wet canine hauler/Airstream puller. I drive a Nissan Murano around town.
The last thing I would want to do is make my grocery getting errand running trips in a V10 Ford Excursion; even members of the Rockefeller clan would balk at that.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension as well. I actually really appreciate the soft springs, it's like a F250 but much more gentle on the Airstream. I see that as a positive.

Also a 2005 here but it came with factory sway bars front and rear, did you replace the factory bars for the Helwig?
My Excursion didn't have a rear sway bar when I bought it, so I added the Helwig rear bar.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
My 04 did not come with a factory rear sway bar. Scary ride without one, even without towing!! Thought I was going to tip over coming down a sharp turn off ramp when I first bought it!

Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #37
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Mine did not come with the rear sway bar either, I added the Helwig, took about an hour. I intend to add LandYot radius rods when the bank account will allow it.
Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gig Harbor , Washington
2005 Excursion 6.0l Diesel

I have been towing my 2015 30' Flying Cloud FBB with my 2005 Excursion and can tell you that I have had great results. Let me add the pertinent details so that you can really understand my setup:
  • 2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer
  • 6.0l diesel
  • 4x4
  • Replaced leaf springs with highest capacity F250 springs
  • Rancho RS5000 shock absorbers (adjustable)
  • Pnuematic bags on rear axle
  • Blue Ox Sway Pro 10,000lb kit

I run 70-75 MPH on the freeways and 65-70 on rural highways and average just over 10 MPG. I typically have 70-100% full fresh water tank while towing. Having towed other trailers with the Excursion and with a super duty F250 7.3l long box/crew cab, the only thing lacking with the Excursion is the added wheel base of the longer PU truck.

kajmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Hi all,

We are in the midst of purchasing a 2007 27FB Classic with a 9000 GVR. My wife doesn't care for pickups so I am looking for a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel or the Ford v10.

Has anyone had any experience towing an 8 to 10K trailer with an Excursion?
Any input would be appreciated and if the excursion work works it will be an F250 Super Duty.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
We have had 5 Airstreams, including a 30 Bunkhouse, which is when we bought 2003 7.3 Excursion back in 2004. Without a doubt , the 7.3 is the best TV for any AS. We are now downsized empty nesters with 25 FB , but still have the Excursion, 380,000 miles later. From Maine to California a couple of times and through the Rockies numerous times, it lacks nothing. An engine brake might be nice but not necessary. I did add an Edge tuner years ago, which gives me 21mpg pulling trailer.
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdaddy View Post
We have had 5 Airstreams, including a 30 Bunkhouse, which is when we bought 2003 7.3 Excursion back in 2004. Without a doubt , the 7.3 is the best TV for any AS. We are now downsized empty nesters with 25 FB , but still have the Excursion, 380,000 miles later. From Maine to California a couple of times and through the Rockies numerous times, it lacks nothing. An engine brake might be nice but not necessary. I did add an Edge tuner years ago, which gives me 21mpg pulling trailer.
Sorry for typo....the 21 mpg is w/o trailer, I get 14mpg pulling at 65mph.
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote