Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You ever even driven one of these?

Perry
Thank you for that, as an owner of an 04 with 230k of my own miles on it, I just don't understand what some of these folks are talking about. In fact, after our week-long trip to OBX last week from Atlanta, I fell in love with my Ex even more. What other, standard, tow vehicle out there can haul 7 people, a large dog, a generator, 2 full 5 gallon jugs of gas, tools and other oddities on the inside, plus 2 kayaks and a 3 person canoe on the roof. All while pulling a 25' Airstream? (and no, I am not overloading it, I am well within its limits) That's not even the part of why I fell deeper in love with it on this last trip. After getting to where we were going (Frisco Beach National Park, Ocean Waves Campground, and Oregon Inlet National Park), I could drive this thing on the beach (mine is a 4x4). We got to drive out and see the wild Mustangs on Corolla Beach, so cool. I have decided to keep it even longer and just have the motor gone over soon for our trip out west next year.

Enjoy your travels with what you got!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	315834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704[1].jpg
Views:	142
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	315835  

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin8or View Post
Thank you for that, as an owner of an 04 with 230k of my own miles on it, I just don't understand what some of these folks are talking about. In fact, after our week-long trip to OBX last week from Atlanta, I fell in love with my Ex even more. What other, standard, tow vehicle out there can haul 7 people, a large dog, a generator, 2 full 5 gallon jugs of gas, tools and other oddities on the inside, plus 2 kayaks and a 3 person canoe on the roof. All while pulling a 25' Airstream? (and no, I am not overloading it, I am well within its limits) That's not even the part of why I fell deeper in love with it on this last trip. After getting to where we were going (Frisco Beach National Park, Ocean Waves Campground, and Oregon Inlet National Park), I could drive this thing on the beach (mine is a 4x4). We got to drive out and see the wild Mustangs on Corolla Beach, so cool. I have decided to keep it even longer and just have the motor gone over soon for our trip out west next year.

X2 My 2002 LIMITED 7.3 D has 274K on it and we love it. I did upgrade to Bilstein shocks, Bendix Ambulance (heavy duty) brake pads and rotors, Hellwig sway bars, Red Head steering box and added 80HP and engine braking with a DP Tuner but this ride does everything we need and is holding up great! You can fit a ton of people or ton of stuff inside and on top without worry.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
You ever even driven one of these?

Perry
Why would I want to? Understand the phrase: polar moment of inertia? I’ve driven plenty of station wagons. Wouldn’t occur to me to further worsen their basic handling. Unlike too many, I can read a spec sheet. Interpret test results. The Excursion is terrible.

Try something well-suited. This, I believe, you haven’t.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 AM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin8or View Post

Plenty of vans would be better.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Hi all,

We are in the midst of purchasing a 2007 27FB Classic with a 9000 GVR. My wife doesn't care for pickups so I am looking for a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel or the Ford v10.

Has anyone had any experience towing an 8 to 10K trailer with an Excursion?
Any input would be appreciated and if the excursion work works it will be an F250 Super Duty.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Plenty of vans would be better.

Going back to the OP's question, which I have re-added above, do you have any experience towing with an Excursion? He is looking for honest answers from folks that have real-world experience using the machinery in question. He did not ask for peoples general opinions or what they prefer to tow with. I am sure if someone has had a bad experience towing with an Excursion they will chime in here, as they should. This kind of stuff just makes it harder for people to find the answers they are looking for. It's unnecessary chatter.

Hey, maybe a van might be better! I have no idea. You know why? Because I have never had experience towing with one!

Camp on!

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Plenty of Excursion owners have chimed in with actual experience trying to be helpful.

Slowmover is a troll with no actual experience and just chooses to keep bashing Excursions as he has on many threads for whatever reason.

He is ridiculous and has successfully reduced this thread to uselessness. Good job.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #67
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just be aware that high center of gravity tow vehicles can have stability issues.

The title is wrong. The truck flipped. That trailer is still standing.

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
X2 My 2002 LIMITED 7.3 D has 274K on it and we love it. I did upgrade to Bilstein shocks, Bendix Ambulance (heavy duty) brake pads and rotors, Hellwig sway bars, Red Head steering box and added 80HP and engine braking with a DP Tuner but this ride does everything we need and is holding up great! You can fit a ton of people or ton of stuff inside and on top without worry.
You can get ambulance springs on them too. Won’t ride very smooth but increases the weight you can carry on the axle.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
7.3 Excursion

I may be a little late joining this conversation but here is my experience with a 2000 7.3 Ex.
Plenty of power to tow and plenty of room for passengers or gear....or just A LOT of gear. As stated above maybe not so good for hauling fuel but you can haul everything else with no problems.
They are built on the F250 frame but weigh nearly 4 tons on their own. The brakes are pretty heavy duty and I’ve added drilled and slotted rotors to help out a bit.
I previously had a V10 that ran her last run at around 290,000 and is now my parts truck. She did the trick but not as easy as the diesel.
The 7.3’s are strong and reliable and are half million mile motors.
My ‘89 32’ Argosy has a dry weight of 5800 and a max of 7300 and I’ve had no problems up or down NJ and PA roads. I know we aren’t very mountainous in these parts but she’ll do what you need her to, I’m sure.
You’d definitely be pulling with a heavyweight vehicle that was made for the job.
Firemanharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Plenty of Excursion owners have chimed in with actual experience trying to be helpful.

Slowmover is a troll with no actual experience and just chooses to keep bashing Excursions as he has on many threads for whatever reason.

He is ridiculous and has successfully reduced this thread to uselessness. Good job.
Naw, unlike you I learned to read. Inferences and deductions.

The Ex is a bad design with worse execution. Why that’s so isnt dependent on my opinion. Why an Airstream is an excellent design as to road-going ability (presently without peer) is also not dependent on my opinion.

Grow up. Physics matters.

That your family’s safety is a low priority is on you. You want to argue in favor of the very worst TV, its what you’re doing.

Be sure to add a lift kit and some off-road tires.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Early August 2018, I15 near Idaho falls, 2002 Excursion 7.3, 277K miles on clock, 27FB Coach, Reese Dual Cam weight distribution, 62MPH, 35MPH Crosswind from Drivers side (storm rolling in) flat right front tire on Ex. Noticed a slight right pull and hop along with TP monitor alert. Steered and braked smoothly and quickly off road. Tire was completely flat. Ex was rock solid no sway no abrupt feedback in control. Tire change and rolling again in 20 minutes. We made a great choice buying an Ex for our TV.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Oh No, based one of the folks responses, I just really screwed up!!

Last week purchased now my third 7.3 Excursion,

1. 2001, 7.3 Drove to 99,900 miles (sold it)
2. 2002, 7.3 It now has 402,000 miles (still have it, will keep it for DD)
3. 2000, 7.3 Just purchased it with 134,000 on the OD, in GREAT condition!

As someone that has put over 500K miles on Excursions (all 7.3), have towed all over Canada to the bottom of Florida, I will tell you this:

Like any other tow rig, you have to set things up correctly, if so, they are a great tow vehicle, if not, their not.

Maybe the problem for some is not the vehicle, but who's setting up the hitch and adjusting the brake system.

Enjoy,
Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Naw, unlike you I learned to read. Inferences and deductions.
Exactly my point. You have no actual experience. Your opinion is based off what you have read, probably from the internet yet you trash those with actual real world experiences. That is called a Troll and your shear ignorance is why the internet is exactly not the place to seek information.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
I’m in the market for a 7.3 Excursion 4x4. Anyone have information on what these sell for in excellent condition with 150-200k mileage? On the top end I’m finding listings in the $17-23k range, but KBB has these valued at under $10k. Are these sellers even in the right ballpark?
Old 11-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #75
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
High demand, low supply drives up the price

Long live the Ex....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
I own one of those “rare” 5.9 JGC’s so I get the demand vs supply angle.

Question remains...what’s the prevailing market price for excellent condition Ex7.3’s? Any existing/former Ex7.3 owners are free to PM me with their own purchase/sales inputs.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #77
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
I’m in the market for a 7.3 Excursion 4x4. Anyone have information on what these sell for in excellent condition with 150-200k mileage? On the top end I’m finding listings in the $17-23k range, but KBB has these valued at under $10k. Are these sellers even in the right ballpark?
KBB doesn't mean anything on certain vehicles and anything with a 7.3 is one of them. Finding a 7.3 truck or Ex in great condition is becoming harder by the day and they are commanding high prices. If you find a good one and it's what you want just think about the $70K and up they are getting for new trucks that may not be as reliable as the 7.3.

Join or lurk over on the FTE Excursion forums to learn more.....
PS I own a 7.3 pickup that I will never part with, and I have considered picking up a nice EX if one came along although I am somewhat limited on parking here with 4 vehicles already.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #78
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
I'm near Dallas. I paid $17K for a 150,000 mile 2001 7.3 Excursion 4x4 in very good condition 6 months ago. It seems like way to much but it was what the market was. I've since changed the locking hubs, put on bilstien shocks and a rear anti-sway bar, flushed the transmission and put in LED headlight bulbs.
I'd buy it again.
Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could also get the V-10 version and you can get one of those for a few thou. Use the $10k over a 7.3 and buy gas for it. 7.3 is a good engine but there are still more maintenance costs over the V10. I mean my V10 has been one change of spark plugs and oil changes about 6 quarts.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #80
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
You could also get the V-10 version and you can get one of those for a few thou. Use the $10k over a 7.3 and buy gas for it. 7.3 is a good engine but there are still more maintenance costs over the V10. I mean my V10 has been one change of spark plugs and oil changes about 6 quarts.

Perry
Very good point. Diesel up here is almost 25 cents a litre higher than gas.....
Combined with typically higher maintenance costs, (oil and filter), it almost doesn't make sense to run a diesel...
..and I have one Isuzu 6BD1, two Cummins and a Toyota 3.4l Hino engined Landcruiser.[emoji19]
Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote