Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Ford 6.7 17& Newer Banks Derringer

This is specific to Ford 6.7 Diesel owners, Is anyone running the Banks Power Derringer Tuner. I do not have a lifted Truck nor do I wish to eliminate the stock emissions so it blows black soot. In fact i have been reading how his system helps the stock Ford PCM better handle air/fuel mixtures to stop over rich soot conditions. This is for towing in the mts under loads. It is a tuner not a PCM overwrite and passes Carb Certifications. This question is feedback from those running a Ford 6.7 Derringer Tuner, Not disrespectful but I’m stuck with this truck for 4 more years not interested in any other tuners.

On another note (I have installed his Banks Rear Diff Cover.) I am VERY happy with the function no more silicone glued on covers to rip off for service. Sight plugs factory fluid fill the same, Enhanced cooling. There is a patent on it and several informational YouTube development videos. I bought it for the drain plug, Fill Plug and visual sight glass to check fluid oxidation color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4725.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	395920  
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #2
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Can’t help you on the tuner but I have been considering the differential cover from banks. His videos are very convincing. Waiting to see anyone else’s experience with the cover.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
This is specific to Ford 6.7 Diesel owners, Is anyone running the Banks Power Derringer Tuner. I do not have a lifted Truck nor do I wish to eliminate the stock emissions so it blows black soot. In fact i have been reading how his system helps the stock Ford PCM better handle air/fuel mixtures to stop over rich soot conditions. This is for towing in the mts under loads. It is a tuner not a PCM overwrite and passes Carb Certifications. This question is feedback from those running a Ford 6.7 Derringer Tuner, Not disrespectful but I’m stuck with this truck for 4 more years not interested in any other tuners.

On another note (I have installed his Banks Rear Diff Cover.) I am VERY happy with the function no more silicone glued on covers to rip off for service. Sight plugs factory fluid fill the same, Enhanced cooling. There is a patent on it and several informational YouTube development videos. I bought it for the drain plug, Fill Plug and visual sight glass to check fluid oxidation color.
Ford spent millions designing the engine..and the electronics for a long life.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Banks

I watched the video series and was impressed. I was more impressed with the quality of the cover and the ease of installation. Some do, many do not understand the importance of gear lube service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Can’t help you on the tuner but I have been considering the differential cover from banks. His videos are very convincing. Waiting to see anyone else’s experience with the cover.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Noooo

The system does not replace Ford electronics or overwrite
Programs it works in conjunction under load not even in effect in city driving

Epa has Ford choke the heck out of the engine by stuffing exhaust back into the engine. Yea just what we want let’s eat our waste. The problem Ford has is in Altitude the mixture is driven to rich for power then way to lean. Trying to compensate. Hence watch your cat regenerate percentage if you have that turned on. The Derringer fine tunes that.

I’m not anti emissions but I do see the amounts of soot that are in oil analysis readings after hard pulls in high altitude. Soot cannot be pulled out by a filter and it will lead to early exhaust canister replacement unless you trade often.

Any way was not looking or a Ford Mommy lecture as I’m a L1 certified tech I’m looking for real world results and feedback. Real truth data not opinions.

Was hoping the forum could give it vs manufacture hype. Looks like the answer is no
Old 05-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
The system does not replace Ford electronics or overwrite
Programs it works in conjunction under load not even in effect in city driving

Epa has Ford choke the heck out of the engine by stuffing exhaust back into the engine. Yea just what we want let’s eat our waste. The problem Ford has is in Altitude the mixture is driven to rich for power then way to lean. Trying to compensate. Hence watch your cat regenerate percentage if you have that turned on. The Derringer fine tunes that.

I’m not anti emissions but I do see the amounts of soot that are in oil analysis readings after hard pulls in high altitude. Soot cannot be pulled out by a filter and it will lead to early exhaust canister replacement unless you trade often.

Any way was not looking or a Ford Mommy lecture as I’m a L1 certified tech I’m looking for real world results and feedback. Real truth data not opinions.

Was hoping the forum could give it vs manufacture hype. Looks like the answer is no
My last stock ram with 6.7 cumalong.had 115,00 miles towing our 13 31’ Classic coast to coast..and it never had any problems...ant it was bone stock...no aftermarket hype...lol
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote