Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
Ford 2018 F250 Steering Wheel Vibration

Anyone with a late model Ford Diesel F250 notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed? This is NOT the widely reported "death wobble" issue. My apologies if this issue has been addressed on another thread but I did do several searches and could only find the death wobble previously mentioned.

In July 2018 I purchased a new 2018 F250. Shortly after taking delivery and the first time I got on a highway, starting about 65 mph, I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel. So I took it in for service, 8 times so far -

Service History
  • Balanced the tires (Michelin LT 275/65 R20)
  • Replaced all 4 tires (original tires were out of round due to sitting on a lot in Phoenix over the summer)
  • Alignment
  • Replaced dampening arm
  • Another alignment
  • Another alignment (alignment machine was out of alignment during the previous alignment, dealer reported this to me asked me to come back in)
  • Replaced dampening arm
  • Replaced two more tires that were some how out of spec. This resolved most of the vibration but I still feel a very slight vibration when on glass smooth highway and lightly touch the wheel. You can feel it but not really see it.

Fortunately all this work was done under warranty.

Now I am not sure if what I feel is just normal diesel vibration, my imagination or if there is still an unresolved issue. Prior to this truck I had a 2013 diesel F250 and did not notice what I am sensing now. Although the tires on the 2013 ran at much lower pressure, 35 psi vs. 65-70 psi.

I am thinking about going to another dealer but there is only one in my town and the next closest is 50 miles away. So I am asking if anyone is having or has had a similar experience and if it was resolved and how?

Or if this is just normal for late model diesel F250s with Michelin LT 275/65 R20 tires and I should just get over it?
RT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The only time mine vibrates is if I get close to the center stripe.Lane alert system warning.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , AZ
Moflash,

I appreciate the input but this not related to lane control system, I have that and know what it feels like. This happens driving down the middle, well wide of the white lines.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Wonder if letting the air pressure down a little more would solve the issue. I'm at 55 in my truck and much better. Not a Ford but a 2500 Ram. Before at 70psi, would bounce pretty bad. Just reinflate when pulling the Airstream or other loads. Just my opinion.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
My 2017 does not wobble or vibrate at any speed (unless hit big bump or hole).
Even up to 85mph (not towing of course) still solid.
So I would say your situation is NOT normal.
Have you considered taking another F250 out for a test drive just to observe?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
My 2017 does not wobble or vibrate at any speed (unless hit big bump or hole).
Even up to 85mph (not towing of course) still solid.
So I would say your situation is NOT normal.
Have you considered taking another F250 out for a test drive just to observe?
I have considered taking another F250 on test drive. Haven't done it yet but probably will soon.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I have a 2018 250 as well with a slight vibration. I know it is there but I don’t let it bother me, it is slight and I have to feel for it above the road ‘wiggles’. Yesterday I was at the dealer for a tire issue and they put it on the alignment machine. They asked if I felt a wobble. My alignment is close but not perfect and I elect3d not to get it adjusted for he small difference. However, my caster is off 0.1 deg between left and right. I also have centramatics that did not correct the wobble.

Caster can cause a wobble as one wheel is leaning ahead of the other. It can’t be adjusted with an alignment. But it can be adjusted with shims (dealer kit). It takes quite a bit of wrench turning but should be a warranty item. Make sure to get your thrust line alignment report both before and after so you can see how you are truly aligned.

On a completely unrelated topic, they also saw both oil pans leaking which I will ask them to fix under warranty. And my original tire issue revealed that I have a 18in spare and a GY spare tire but 20in Michelin’s on my main feet. What? Darn.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
I have not noticed anything like that in my 2018 F250 Diesel, except when I change lanes without signaling or stray out of my lane the wheel does vibrate. This is a new safety feature. The only aftermarket item on it is Fox shocks, and level kit, to take the 3/4 ton ride out of it.
xfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
Are you sure this is NOT part of the lane assist system? Many late model vehicles including our beloved Ford F 250’s have a camera mechanism that alerts the driver when the vehicle travel crosses center or lane edge lines. This feature can be deactivated if you prefer.
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
My F250 diesel now has 58K miles and no issues like you are describing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Chicago , Illinois
I have had a case on a 2003 E350 van where after a brake job where new rotors were installed, and new tires installed I had a vibration. Took it back to discount tire several times where they changed the tires out at least 3 times, and re-balanced numerous times. Problem would seem to go away after re-torquing (maybe over-torquing), but then would come back. This went on for several months as I was commuting back and forth between Chicago and St. Louis. Sometimes after re-balance in Chicago, would stop in Springfield to get it done again. Finally, decided to upgrade rotors, problem went away. It seems the new rotor that was installed when the brakes were done was warped, but since it was new, not just machined couldn't believe that would be the cause. Probably over-torquing flattened them for a while, then they would loosen enough to vibrate again. Very frustrating for me and Discount tire. They get Kudos for standing with me through that.
open01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Earlier lane controls had audio cue, now slight vibration sent to steering wheel intentionally. I'd double check lane control. Typically over 40 mph, slight vibration even if you assume you kept it centered in lane at all times.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My 2018 F350 has a slight vibration too. 15k miles on it. It’s like tire balance vibration but very slight. It is worse on rougher highways pavement and almost disappears on glass smooth highway but it’s still there. I travel several miles of a brand new section of 290 going toward Houston daily. They did a phenomenal job of putting fine finish of grooves to the surface. Super smooth. I don’t have the vibration when in the SUBARU Outback on this section but I have it in the F350. Dealer can’t find anything. Who knows.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , AZ
I am certain this is not related to lane assist. One thing I did not describe in my original post is that the vibration seems to be harmonic. Meaning it changes in intensity over about a 20 second cycle, going from not noticeable to noticeable and back again. The pattern is very consistent. I have actually timed it while driving down the highway.

I also had the shim kit installed during the 2nd alignment that LilPeanut mentioned.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Chicago , Illinois
On my current 2015 F250 ~63K miles I have a situation that occurs once in a while where the steering can become very notchy- turn left, turn right steering wheel feels like it sticks and has to be muscled back to straight. Can be very scary, but not a vibration like death wobble. Checked all steering components, including stabilizer AOK. Finally, decided to check lugs and found some that appeared looser than they should. I was doing this on the side of road without the truck jacked up, so not sure I could tell how loose they were, but after tightening, problem went away. This has happened several times over several thousand miles. Considering using loctite blue on the lugs. Or, wondering if the lugs and lug nuts are not as compatible as the should be (all are stock). Interested if anyone else has experienced this.
open01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Vibration!

Have you tried getting the front tires balanced while on the truck? There are only two things that will cause a shimmy/vibration like you describe. The whole tire wheel hub assembly is out of balance or is out of round. The new tires should have eliminated any tire balance or flat spot issue. There a little known secret that a tire dealer won’t tell you but a tire engineer will! The way a radial tire is made it is in perfect balance when brand new. It’s the hub, brake disc, rim or tire not seated properly that throws it out of balance a bit. So when you have an issue like you do, you need to spin them on the truck. A few years ago I had a new semi trailer that was “eating” tires. Perfect alignment, new tires! About the third set I had them spun/static balanced. Turned out to be two hubs were machined off-center. Replaced the hubs and cured the problem. Point is......have them spun balanced on the truck!

Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
PM me please if you wish

I do not want to type the needed long response an I learned my lesson with testosterone /retired technician forum opinions. We all have our opinions. PM me for my cell if you would like to chat

I did fix the ft wheel /vibration in our truck. Yes I did, had to get permission from the dealership manager to work with and educate the operator of the balancer-

If anyone has fixed the Ford 250 Ft wheel kick back issue please PM me on that. That is an ongoing problem with our new 19 build date 8/18
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
My 2018 gas F-250 has 11,000 miles on it. It has none of the driver assist electronics. I’m on a trip without the Airstream and when I go over 64 MPH I feel and see a slight front wheel/steering wheel shimmy. I never noticed it before as I had not gone over 62 MPH before. I plan to take it in when I get back home to see what the dealer can do to correct it.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
My 2018 gas F-250 has 11,000 miles on it. It has none of the driver assist electronics. I’m on a trip without the Airstream and when I go over 64 MPH I feel and see a slight front wheel/steering wheel shimmy. I never noticed it before as I had not gone over 62 MPH before. I plan to take it in when I get back home to see what the dealer can do to correct it.
So, could be as simple as wheel balance...one way to check is if the vibration goes away when you go faster? Meaning to say, the "vibration' seems to come on at a certain speed, and goes away when you go faster or even after a slight turn, rotating the tires to new balance location. I have had this some times over the years with different vehicles. Cheaper to start there and see if rotate and rebalance fixes it.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
my 2019 has no issues as of yet....