Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Fix Hyperflash in Ford Tow Vehicles when adding LEDs

You learn something new every day, if you try new things.

I wanted to upgrade my rear turn/stop lights to LEDs. I got some online that were supposed to be compatible with my 2014 F150 and not hyperflash, but they did. I did several searches that said you either had to do add resistors to the circuit or put in a flasher relay compatible with LEDs. No searches turned up where I could find the flasher relay under the dashboard, but they did turn up a thread on reprogramming your cars’ computer which turns out to be the solution.

Turns out, many cars today (at least F150s from 2014 (maybe 2009) on use the onboard computer to control the flashing. If the computer detects a low draw on the signal circuit (like from an LED), it assumes that the signal bulb has burned out and tells you by hyperflashing. All you have to do is turn off that computer selection.

I bought a OHP Wifi FORScan OBD2 Adapter for Windows, Android & iOS, Ford Diagnostic Scan Tool, ELM327 Code Reader, MS-CAN / HS-CAN Switch from Amazon to connect to the trucks computer through the OBD2 port. I then used the program Forscan from the web https://forscan.org/download.html, to turn off the hyperflash. It works with Ford, Mazda, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. It needs to be used in a laptop with Windows 10. It is a bit complicated to download the program, authenticate it and hook up the OBD2 adapter, but once you do, the hyperflash issue goes away very easily. Here is a link which describes some of what you have to do https://www.bing.com/search?q=forsca...=en-US&plvar=0. If you are interested in how to do it, send me a PM and I can give you more of the how-to.

Good luck!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I am amazed that no one has asked me about how to do this given the number of threads I found when I was trying to figure this out my self!! Oh well...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote