Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for sharing! Did you happen to weigh the tongue? The tongue weight "spec" for your 2014 30' International, is at 880# in the brochure.. While that is a lot, typically, you will find your tongue "actual" weight to be 100+ pounds more then the spec...likely around 1000 or perhaps a bit more. (our 28' spec said 980; but it was 1100# actual when we picked it up and weighed the tongue at the dealer.)

Adding passenger, driver, dog, generator, other "stuff", your likely over the 1330# max payload rating for that TV.
Yeah, but I think staying within GVWR and GAWR’s is the bottom line. He’s very lightly loaded and his Tundra seems scaled back from what I used to have (extended cab vs Crewmax, 2wd vs 4wd, etc). Not talked about too much is that the WD hitch will transfer some of the hitch weight to the trailer axles... maybe not much but every 100lbs helps.

As long as his trailer axles are within trailer GVWR, I think he’s golden.

We don’t pack nearly as light...topper, slideout, bikes, generator(s), tools, Pelican cooler (loaded) other misc stuff, and now kayaks. That’s why we have an F350 ��
KK4YZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

Adding passenger, driver, dog, generator, other "stuff", your likely over the 1330# max payload rating for that TV.

You canít measure payload! He has already stated that he is over the Tundra GVWR by 40 lbs. However, he is under both axle weight ratings so he is ok with that. I agree.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You canít measure payload! He has already stated that he is over the Tundra GVWR by 40 lbs. However, he is under both axle weight ratings so he is ok with that. I agree.

Dan

Then that makes you both wrong.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008AS View Post

2008AS

So what would you do if this were your situation, ie. you were well under your truck axle limits but 40 lbs over your GVWR?

Dan
Old 04-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Explain
Old 04-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #86
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Question on what you would do on any 1/2 T that was over GVWR. First I would check the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating), then I would make a decision. IF the TV/AS combo feels unstable in any condition, highway speeds, semi's passing, pot hole stress, wind, rain, uphill, downhill, etc. I would consider a stronger TV. IF, I had a Tundra that was over payload and GCVWR, (axle ratings are only two of the variables on considering tow weights) I would rely and espouse the durability and dependability of the brand, forget about going to the scales, it will only confirm the overweight conditions and do not drive at night while towing, because most Tundra's I see towing large trailers have headlights pointing to the tops of trees! Any updates to keep the Tundra level are extra weight on the truck, but do not increase payload or GCVWR. I am going to send an email to the TFL guys on why they don't test the Tundra with max advertised towing weight with about 500 pounds in the truck/truckbed. I will post their answer on one of these "I love my Tundra" threads.

Remind me why we are talking about Tundra's as TV's for AS over 25'? They are all over payload and probably over GCVWR. Their strong suit is they finally have Apple Car Play and it is documented that they last forever despite abuse of OEM's published weight ratings and often are buried alongside their owners at end of life ceremonies!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Yeah, but I think staying within GVWR and GAWRís is the bottom line. Heís very lightly loaded and his Tundra seems scaled back from what I used to have (extended cab vs Crewmax, 2wd vs 4wd, etc). Not talked about too much is that the WD hitch will transfer some of the hitch weight to the trailer axles... maybe not much but every 100lbs helps.

As long as his trailer axles are within trailer GVWR, I think heís golden.

We donít pack nearly as light...topper, slideout, bikes, generator(s), tools, Pelican cooler (loaded) other misc stuff, and now kayaks. Thatís why we have an F350 ��
I hear that! Not sure "golden" is the term i would use, but to each his own...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I hear that! Not sure "golden" is the term i would use, but to each his own...
Yeah, well maybe ďgood enoughĒ....😀. My Tundra was 600lb over on GVWR even with my 23D. Thatís why I now have a F350! 40 lb wouldnít worry me too much.

See you at alumalina (hopefully)

Jim
Old 04-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
You may ask yourself, What is GVWR?

Important PSA:
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Question on what you would do on any 1/2 T that was over GVWR. First I would check the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating), then I would make a decision. IF the TV/AS combo feels unstable in any condition, highway speeds, semi's passing, pot hole stress, wind, rain, uphill, downhill, etc. I would consider a stronger TV. IF, I had a Tundra that was over payload and GCVWR, (axle ratings are only two of the variables on considering tow weights) I would rely and espouse the durability and dependability of the brand, forget about going to the scales, it will only confirm the overweight conditions and do not drive at night while towing, because most Tundra's I see towing large trailers have headlights pointing to the tops of trees!
<snip>
Maybe in your universe but I've never seen a Tundra that looked like that. Half the TVs around here are Tundra.

Quote:
Remind me why we are talking about Tundra's as TV's for AS over 25'? They are all over payload and probably over GCVWR. Their strong suit is they finally have Apple Car Play and it is documented that they last forever despite abuse of OEM's published weight ratings and often are buried alongside their owners at end of life ceremonies!
Because with AS 25 = 27 = 28, they're all pretty much the same trailer.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Explain

Iím not even sure why Iím bothering.

Most of us fall into one of two groups. One group will watch the max payload number and stay under. The other group comes up with a number based on some combination of other numbers to justify their purchase for example axle weights or max weight rating on tires.

Gross axle weights are one part of the payload equation. For example. Why not put dump truck axles under your truck and increase the payload to 10,000 lbs. what Iím saying is there are many other considerations in calculating payload. If Toyota was able to rate their trucks higher, why wouldnít they?

Before buying my current truck, I looked hard at the Tundra. (Also Ford and Chevy). I needed a four wheel drive that would seat 4 people and have available payload to pull our 23 foot airstream. I searched 3 dealers lots, looked at nearly 100 tundras and it doesnít exist. I couldnít find one with over about a 1400 lb payload. Some a lot lesss.

My numbers are 900 lbs tongue & hitch, 400 lbs people. (Me, wife and son). Add 3 bikes and Iím maxed out. No wood for a camp fire, grill, camp chairs, tool box, small generators if camping off the grid, cooler, bed cover, plus all the filthy rugs and cords I donít want to put back in the AS when we have to relocate to another campground in the rain.

This thread started as a happy Tundra towing thread. Congratulations on your new truck.

If your payload comes in under the max payload numbers, then Iím wrong. If not, youíre both still wrong in the fact that you chose the wrong tool for the job.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Kinda funny how people in other parts of the world never look at the door jamb plate yet things work out.

Here we bicker about a couple hundreds pounds and conclude "Better buy an F350 to be safe!"

Old 04-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Maybe in your universe but I've never seen a Tundra that looked like that. Half the TVs around here are Tundra.

Because with AS 25 = 27 = 28, they're all pretty much the same trailer.

Half the TV's around where are Tundra?? Not in the Dripping Springs or Austin area I live in! Maybe if you have a Tundra and thats all you want to "see...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Iím not even sure why Iím bothering.

If your payload comes in under the max payload numbers, then Iím wrong. If not, youíre both still wrong in the fact that you chose the wrong tool for the job.

I believe the OP chose the right tool. The Tundra has a great reputation as a 1/2 ton TV. He is significantly under the axle ratings and just 40 lbs over the GVWR. He could have moved something to reduce his load by 40 lbs but he wasnít worried about the 40 lb overage. It is not like everything goes to **it the minute you go over the GVWR. I agree with his judgement.

Dan
Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I believe the OP chose the right tool. The Tundra has a great reputation as a 1/2 ton TV. He is significantly under the axle ratings and just 40 lbs over the GVWR. He could have moved something to reduce his load by 40 lbs but he wasnít worried about the 40 lb overage. It is not like everything goes to **it the minute you go over the GVWR. I agree with his judgement.

Dan

Ditto.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Kinda funny how people in other parts of the world never look at the door jamb plate yet things work out.

Here we bicker about a couple hundreds pounds and conclude "Better buy an F350 to be safe!"

If you want to emulate that, be my guest

Maybe you were referring to me; maybe not. I'll tell you this: With our Tundra we were 600lb over GVWR with our 23D. We wanted a larger trailer (28) and still wanted to add a slideout and be able to take kayaks with us. (Camping is supposed to be fun, right?). That drove our decision to go with a SuperDuty truck. F350 is only a few hundred $ more than an F250, so it was a no brainer to get the added payload vs the F250.

eyeroll back at you!
Old 04-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I believe the OP chose the right tool. The Tundra has a great reputation as a 1/2 ton TV. He is significantly under the axle ratings and just 40 lbs over the GVWR. He could have moved something to reduce his load by 40 lbs but he wasn’t worried about the 40 lb overage. It is not like everything goes to **it the minute you go over the GVWR. I agree with his judgement.

Dan
Yup as long as everything is stable and his trailer weights are within spec. Everyone has different wants/needs/plans. That's why there are so many choices out there.