Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Encino , California
Question First time towing help with temp TV

Hello all.

I looked through several threads but didn't see anything pertaining to my problem.

I need to tow a 31' 72 Land Yacht a few hundred miles (300.) I was going to rent a 10' or 14' truck from u-Haul as it seems both would work (any suggestions?) I think I have the brake lights and blinkers issue figured out but I' not sure about the hitch. Some trucks have short hitches and others longer ones. There's no consistency as to which truck does or not, regardless of size. Does it really matter? Also, all those have a 2" ball. I've asked the reps/salespeople but they're not sure if it can be removed and replaced temporarily with a 2" 5/16. Does anyone have any experience with that? Finally and possibly most important, it seems the ball on their trucks is about 22' high. The hitch on the trailer is about 17' 1/2 to be level which seems like to big of a difference. I've asked all of them and none have an adjustable height trailer hitch. What to do?

Thank you for your input.

Walter
streamdreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most U Haul trucks I have seen have had 2" balls welded to their hitches, so it's tough to mount the proper size ball on one. You might try some of the other brands of truck rentals, you may have more luck with a Penske, or Budget (formerly Ryder) truck.
Also, welcome to the forums.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Little help from my friends

Might want to ask around at work or maybe someone from the form living in California could help. I had my old tow vehicle break down last year at the beginning of a trip. When the tow truck driver in a flat bed tow truck came to get the truck he also had a hitch and we were able to hitch the trailer to the tow truck, at no additional cost, and get it to a place that was safe. Friends from church heard about our dilemma and let us swap our VW bug convertible for a week with their truck and we were able to save our vacation.

Hope this story helps you think out of the box. I am not very good at asking for help but I will never forget how a simple “I need some help” was so graciously answered.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome to the forums?

Go over to Galpin Ford at Roscoe and the 405 and rent a F350 (1 ton) They all come with slide in receivers. Of course they will tell you that you may not use the truck to tow. Those trucks come with a built in trailer brake system. Stop by Pep Boys or Camping world or U-Haul and get a slide in hitch with the proper sized ball and away you go.

Where are you going to get the trailer?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Encino , California
Thank you all for your kind advice. I posted the towing adventure at
http://hillbillywally.blogspot.com/2...road-trip.html

: )
Old 10-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Thanks for letting us know how it went. So many times people fail to close the loop on a thread and leave us hanging. Are you planning on leaving the AS their semi permanently? We have a 1955 Spartan Royal Manor in NC that we are in the process of turning into a cabin; sadly her traveling days are over. 40 feet long and would need too many upgrades to make camping feasible anymore.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Encino , California
My baby is still ready to roll and I may take her on a road trip now and then but she's my home away from home for the moment. I noticed as you say that some folks ask for info in the forums and never close the loop or come back once they've got what they want/need. Oh well. To me, it's basic courtesy to say thank you.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I can't see the solution to your problem. I click on your link but it just goes to a blog page and I see a blurry picture.....any clues? thanks, pj
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Never mind, I figured it out...thanks for posting. pj
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote