Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #1

On Easy Street , Florida
FC 23FB hitch weight

Hello, new member here.

I am shopping around for a new Airstream and am
seeing a lot of models with varying hitch weights. I was originally looking at smaller models, thinking the hitch weight would be less than a bigger model but it seems that there are other factors, such as floor plan configuration when it comes to hitch weight. Just wanted to see if I am the only one surprised that the flying cloud 23 FB has a hitch weight of 467 pounds yet weighs about 4800 pounds dry. But a caravel 22fb has a hitch weight of 525 and weighs about 4200 pounds. Is this right?
First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
First, the trailer does not weigh the listed weight in travel mode. The 23 has axles more forward, but will likely have a tongue weight of about 600lbs even if you manage the load out with care.

Second, a Caravel with a single axle is going to weigh more or less depending on the load out positioning of gear and liquids as well. A single axle is a teeter totter. The axle by design is back farther to provide stability that the dual axles give you on the 23.

What you need to understand is that hitch weight builds quickly depending on where you locate heavy gear. Placing weight at back to lift it off the front is a big no-no. Locate gear as close to the axles as possible. Keep it out of the ends.

So, no - I'm not surprised. Now - what are you trying to do? Mitigate tongue weight or overall trailer weight? Advice - figure out what trailer best meets your needs and then match the TV to the trailer. A better receiver can deal with tongue weight. However, the TV axles can only carry so much weight. It's a puzzle that takes a while to understand and subsequently implement.

Note - a 25FB will have 1000lb tongue weight and that is hard to mitigate. A 25RB is a little lighter on the tongue. The 23FB is unique. The 23D/CB is heavier on the tongue.

Good luck with your research. Pat

FC23FB replaced with Motorhome - 10ftitis is a real thing.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
I have one reasonably loaded, 3 days clothes and food, couple chairs and fishing poles (light weight). 6% fill in the water and empty grey & black. 680 according to sheerline and CAT scales. It’s not as light as the specs say.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:49 AM   #4

On Easy Street , Florida
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to mitigate tongue weight. I have a Ford Raptor and it’s hitch receiver can tow 8,000 pounds and tongue load is rated at 800 pounds. I am trying to keep the hitch weight low due to the payload capacity of my truck, which is 1,015 pounds. During my research I saw that only a few AS have a hitch weight under 500 pounds. The 23FB became an option when I saw the low hitch weight. It is almost the same as a Bambi 16RB. Thanks for the advice on how to load it up.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by First View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to mitigate tongue weight. I have a Ford Raptor and it’s hitch receiver can tow 8,000 pounds and tongue load is rated at 800 pounds. I am trying to keep the hitch weight low due to the payload capacity of my truck, which is 1,015 pounds. During my research I saw that only a few AS have a hitch weight under 500 pounds. The 23FB became an option when I saw the low hitch weight. It is almost the same as a Bambi 16RB. Thanks for the advice on how to load it up.
To make the raptor work, your going to need some Timbren bumps and probably add a leaf. They are super soft for off roading, not particularly good for towing out of the box.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
just weighted our 2015 23FB this past week: 525 lbs. using a Sureline scale.

conditions:
- no water in fresh water tank or grey and black tanks
- Lithium batteries (only weigh 23 lbs. each
- aluminum LP tanks
- not loaded for travel
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with the comments above, particularly those about the 23FB being a bit unique. The size of the rig coupled with the tandem axle configuration is very nice, for many reasons. We just bought an International 23FB, and our first trip is coming up in a few weeks. I have thought about towing, tongue weights, loading, etc. more than I'd care to admit.

As others have mentioned, picking the trailer that meets your needs and expectations is important. Prior to purchasing our Airstream, we rented a variety of RVs, and we camped in a variety of ways. Our favorite trips were off the grid, boondocking. We initially considered a new 2021 Basecamp 20x, but as we looked at them and thought about what we wanted, we realized that we like the creature comforts offered by a traditional Airstream. The 23FB with a solar package was just the right mix for us. As we have planned our first trip in the new trailer and made reservations at some campgrounds, we found that several of them only allow a truck/trailer combination of 45 feet or less. Our truck and trailer combo is around 43 feet, which works out very well for us.

Good luck in your search.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Weight distribution helps

As I understand from research, esp. etrailer.com your WD setup mitigates some the trailers tongue weight by transferring it to the TV front wheels. Etrailer states that my WD hitch adds 100# to the capacity of my Grand Cherokee receiver. Whether engineers @ Jeep would agree, I don’t know but it seems to work. - No issues or bad tendencies. (Tow 23fb fc with Grand Cherokee)
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:19 PM   #9

On Easy Street , Florida
Thanks for all of the responses. I can definitely add timbrens or a Roadmaster setup to mitigate sag. I have heard that a WDH shifts some of the weight to the trailer axles. Would this help mitigate payload? Do I need to subtract people, wdh equipment weight, and trailer tongue weight directly off the sticker value on the door jamb? I or does using the WDH transfer some of that weight to the trailer axles? I know the best way is to take the truck and trailer to a scale but that would be after purchase.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses. I can definitely add timbrens or a Roadmaster setup to mitigate sag. I have heard that a WDH shifts some of the weight to the trailer axles. Would this help mitigate payload? Do I need to subtract people, wdh equipment weight, and trailer tongue weight directly off the sticker value on the door jamb? I or does using the WDH transfer some of that weight to the trailer axles? I know the best way is to take the truck and trailer to a scale but that would be after purchase.
Timbren is what you need with that travel and fox shocks.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
You'll definitely want a weight distribution hitch. It doesn't change the capacities of the TV or the trailer, but it distributes it more evenly and prevents sag. A good hitch will also help mitigate sway. You can balance your load by transferring some of the weight from the TV to the trailer, allowing you to stay under the GVWR and maximum cargo/occupant capacity for your TV, as long as you stay under the Gross Weight for the trailer, and the GCWR for your entire setup.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Would this help mitigate payload? Do I need to subtract people, wdh equipment weight, and trailer tongue weight directly off the sticker value on the door jamb?
The WD hitch does not mitigate payload. It just helps distribute that payload in a manner that keeps your front wheels on the ground with sufficient pressure for steering.

You definitely need to subtract the weight of all people (including the driver), WD equipment, tongue weight, as well as everything you load into the vehicle directly off of the sticker value on the door jamb. Every bit of that is considered payload.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Have you ever weighed your trailer, I like what you did to reduce the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
just weighted our 2015 23FB this past week: 525 lbs. using a Sureline scale.

conditions:
- no water in fresh water tank or grey and black tanks
- Lithium batteries (only weigh 23 lbs. each
- aluminum LP tanks
- not loaded for travel
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote