Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
F150 Bilstein Shock Upgrade

I have a 2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum that we bought after buying our 2013 23D. It pulled the 23D quite easily. When we moved up to our new-to-us 2009 27FB we noticed the ride quality got impacted and we noticed a fair amount of porpoising over undulating roads. I assumed this to be in part due to the increased weight and momentum of the trailer and the extra weight on the hitch. However, we were still quite happy with the F150. This year we decided to jump up to a 28 RBQ Serenity which is definitely pushing the payload limit of the F150.

While we will be upgrading to an F250/F350 at some point, its just not in the cards yet. Iíve already upgraded the brakes to Power Stop pads and rotors which has improved stopping power and smoothness of the brakes. Last week I upgraded the shocks to Bilstein and this weekend got to pull the 28 for the first time. All handling issues and concerns I had before are completely solved. The Bilsteins have damped out the porpoising while improving the overall ride of the truck day to day! Pavement dips that would make me hang on to the steering wheel before are handled quite well with no drama.

I had been considering airbags to help with the load but for me the shocks have greatly increased my comfort level in towing our trailer and I no longer think these necessary. I understand that the addition of shocks or airbags, etc. do not increase the payload of my truck and donít want this to become another bigger is better thread, but for those looking at improving their ride comfort I can recommend this upgrade which ran a little over $800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24ED311D-2D60-488F-A930-5EE02258F242.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	324193  
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
RFP
Rivet Master
 
RFP's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
I have a 2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum that we bought after buying our 2013 23D. It pulled the 23D quite easily. When we moved up to our new-to-us 2009 27FB we noticed the ride quality got impacted and we noticed a fair amount of porpoising over undulating roads. I assumed this to be in part due to the increased weight and momentum of the trailer and the extra weight on the hitch. However, we were still quite happy with the F150. This year we decided to jump up to a 28 RBQ Serenity which is definitely pushing the payload limit of the F150.

While we will be upgrading to an F250/F350 at some point, its just not in the cards yet. Iíve already upgraded the brakes to Power Stop pads and rotors which has improved stopping power and smoothness of the brakes. Last week I upgraded the shocks to Bilstein and this weekend got to pull the 28 for the first time. All handling issues and concerns I had before are completely solved. The Bilsteins have damped out the porpoising while improving the overall ride of the truck day to day! Pavement dips that would make me hang on to the steering wheel before are handled quite well with no drama.

I had been considering airbags to help with the load but for me the shocks have greatly increased my comfort level in towing our trailer and I no longer think these necessary. I understand that the addition of shocks or airbags, etc. do not increase the payload of my truck and donít want this to become another bigger is better thread, but for those looking at improving their ride comfort I can recommend this upgrade which ran a little over $800.

Walt, what is the part number of the shocks you installed?
__________________
2014 23D International Serenity - "Fortune Cookie"
2015 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost, Max Tow - "Cookie Monster"
And some stuff

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Walt, what is the part number of the shocks you installed?
Bilstein 4100 was the part number for my truck. My understanding is the 5100 is for a truck with a lift.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,035
I put bilsteins on my '09 Silverado (crew cab, shortbed, 4x4) and the immediate impression was my daily drive quite improved. Towing? Not so much. Somewhat better, maybe, but I still think I need a 2500 for my 27. Maybe this spring, a F250 gasser might follow me home.

Mike
__________________
2015 27ft FC FB
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
Vantair's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 427
Images: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Bilstein 4100 was the part number for my truck. My understanding is the 5100 is for a truck with a lift.
Excellent to hear ! Was contemplating these very Bilstein/model shocks for our newer series GMC 1500 4 x 4. Stock shocks seem to be getting mushy after 30k miles especially hitched/towing the 5300/6300 wet 25ft Intl SS.
__________________
Relaxing is hard work.
Vantair
2005 25ft International CCD SS
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,653
Blog Entries: 1
I am towing an 28' International Serenity with 2017 F150 XLT and my towing experience has been great. I do run with a Propride so that might make some difference. It could also be that mine is a 2017 and the suspension is a bit better on the newer models since their towing capacity is more than older models.

It is good to know about the shocks making an improvement. That's one of the things I've considered. But as of now I think I'm only going to drive this F150 to for another few years. Then when I retire and I don't use my truck as a daily driver much I'll go with the Dodge RAM 2500 diesel. Not that I need that size of a truck, but I'd really like the idea of the engine brakes for mountain traveling which is something I want to do.

Anyway thanks for the information on the shocks. Something to consider.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
RFP
Rivet Master
 
RFP's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Bilstein 4100 was the part number for my truck. My understanding is the 5100 is for a truck with a lift.
Actually, Walt, Bilstein advertises the 5100 shocks from 0" to 2 1/2" lift... so, installation on a non-lifted F150 is just fine. I installed the 5100rear shocks on our 2015 F150 and noticed an immediate improvement in towing. While I never had any 'porpoising,' the 23D/F150 combo occasionally felt a little 'float-ey." THe Bilsteins cured that problem.

I bought them at Rock Auto and installed them myself. Paid less than $100 each and installation took less than an hour.
__________________
2014 23D International Serenity - "Fortune Cookie"
2015 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost, Max Tow - "Cookie Monster"
And some stuff

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Actually, Walt, Bilstein advertises the 5100 shocks from 0" to 2 1/2" lift... so, installation on a non-lifted F150 is just fine. I installed the 5100rear shocks on our 2015 F150 and noticed an immediate improvement in towing. While I never had any 'porpoising,' the 23D/F150 combo occasionally felt a little 'float-ey." THe Bilsteins cured that problem.

I bought them at Rock Auto and installed them myself. Paid less than $100 each and installation took less than an hour.
Good to know on the 5100s. Our 2013 has strut inserts on the front which makes installation more difficult. Iíve traded out inserts on a BMW in the past and decided I just didnít want to deal with pulling the entire front suspension and spring compressors. So I bought from Tire Rack (a little over $300 for all four) and had the fronts installed locally.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
RFP
Rivet Master
 
RFP's Avatar
 
2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Good to know on the 5100s. Our 2013 has strut inserts on the front which makes installation more difficult. Iíve traded out inserts on a BMW in the past and decided I just didnít want to deal with pulling the entire front suspension and spring compressors. So I bought from Tire Rack (a little over $300 for all four) and had the fronts installed locally.
You did good... really good! Yep, insert replacement into struts is something that I will GLADLY pay someone else to do! I' such a coward
__________________
2014 23D International Serenity - "Fortune Cookie"
2015 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost, Max Tow - "Cookie Monster"
And some stuff

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,560
I love my Bilsteins, I don't remember paying that much though but I did the install myself
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,890
F150 Bilstein Shock Upgrade

Not dealing with struts is not Ďchickení itís OWL.
A car dealer friend of mine showed me the hole in their roof from when a spring compressor let go unexpectedly. Iím quite sure the tech had a sudden ďlaundry problemĒ when it launched...
Iíll gladly pay for someone with the right tools and facilities, plus insurance, to do struts for me, thankyouverymuch!
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I love my Bilsteins, I don't remember paying that much though but I did the install myself
The shocks themselves were only $345. Installing the fronts plus an alignment was $500.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 639
I know shocks are fun to think about...but the initial question was about controlling porpoising. My experience has been that wheel base of the tow vehicle, plus wheel base of the trailer, combined with distance between the tow on the particular type of road and road construction makes more of a difference. It seems to me after towing in all but 4 of the lower 50 the systems and machinery used to lay the roads makes all the difference in whether I get porpoising with my tow vehicle, trailer, and distance between axles. New shocks can help a bit...but will it really go away.
I mean on some newly laid concrete in Nebraska and Wyoming I can get porpoising in my tow vehicle without a trailer based on what machine and system they use to lay the concrete.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I know shocks are fun to think about...but the initial question was about controlling porpoising. My experience has been that wheel base of the tow vehicle, plus wheel base of the trailer, combined with distance between the tow on the particular type of road and road construction makes more of a difference. It seems to me after towing in all but 4 of the lower 50 the systems and machinery used to lay the roads makes all the difference in whether I get porpoising with my tow vehicle, trailer, and distance between axles. New shocks can help a bit...but will it really go away.
I mean on some newly laid concrete in Nebraska and Wyoming I can get porpoising in my tow vehicle without a trailer based on what machine and system they use to lay the concrete.
It's the people operating the machine that make a difference. Concrete roads are the worst surfaces ever devised for ride quality.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Wichita Falls , TX
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 32
Blog Entries: 1
Who installs the Bilstein shocks?
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga adkins View Post
Who installs the Bilstein shocks?
I bought the shocks from Tire Rack. Their website lists local installers and I just picked one based on feedback and reviews elsewhere. You can even have the shocks delivered directly to your installer. The back shocks are literally two bolts once you remove the tire. On some years the F150 front shocks are easy to replace but unfortunately not for my 2013. Because you have to remove the front hub, disconnect the tie rods and remove the springs I opted to have a front end alignment after the install which added almost $100 to the cost.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
Acton , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 35
I added the same shocks to my 2012 f150 in the spring. I tried doing the front myself but the bottom bolt was seized in place and I had to put everything back together and bring it to a shop. The rear took 20 mins or so, taking longer to get the tools out and put away than doing. LOL


I have a level spacer on my truck and decided not to go for the more expensive 5100 since the level worked with the factory shocks. I noticed a big improvement in ride quality. Not sure on towing since I bought my sport 22fb after I did the shocks.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 167
I have the same truck and pulling my 27' International I had one rear shock break it's seal. I replaced it with the only Ford heavy duty stock shock. The AL3Z18125. $300 installed for just the two rear shocks. Instantly rides like a dream. Happy Trails
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 426
I didn't find Bilstein 4100 shocks. Did you mean 4600? The only difference between 4600 and 5100 Bilstein shocks is that the 5100's are intended for a lifted truck.
__________________
Bob

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
Wconley's Avatar
 
2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 291
Sorry, yes the 4600. For some reason I keep thinking 4100.
__________________
Walt
2018 28 International Serenity
2013 F150 Ecoboost
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bilstein Shocks on Tow Vehicle texascanuk Tow Vehicles 0 08-23-2011 04:20 PM
Shock Absorbers (Bilstein) GREENovaters Classic Motorhomes 9 11-15-2010 07:50 PM
Bilstein shocks ebay evan Airstream Motorhome Forums 32 05-11-2010 05:57 PM
Bilstein Source ? guy99 Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 10 10-14-2004 07:13 AM
Bilstein Shocks Cracker On The Road... 6 08-21-2004 08:28 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.