Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #21

Coppell , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
I have a 27' and used to have an F150 EB3.5 Platinum. I used an Equalizer hitch, as it came with the trailer. I have nothing to compare it with but never noticed any excessive sway. I was getting porpoising as I ended up popping over the 7,000 lb max weight. So now I have a 250 :-) Still use the same WD/sway hitch system and it seems to work great.

So far, seems like the f150 will be fine as long as the weight is distributed properly.

F250 would leave me with no worries at all but I’m being picky about options.

Can you explain porpoising to me?
Jameson_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_ View Post
So far, seems like the f150 will be fine as long as the weight is distributed properly.

F250 would leave me with no worries at all but I’m being picky about options.

Can you explain porpoising to me?
porpoising is when the trailer (and tow vehicle) rock back and forth, front to back, like a porpoise jumping out of the water. So when you go over a dip in the road, for example, the truck and trailer oscillate for a bit front to back. Does that help? I am not an expert but believe it is when you are perhaps overloaded or close, given the current suspension and weight distribution settings. You could stiffen things up and it will not do that any more, but to me it was a sign that I was reaching the limits. And weighing my truck loaded up and hooked up revealed that I was, in fact, reaching the limits.

I agree; I could have played around with things and kept the 150 (though my grandkids were going to be coming on a two-week trip and it would have been hard to hit weight targets adding two more bodies to the truck cab). My wife does not like to keep things in the camper when we travel so the trailer had some headroom with weight but the truck was at the limit or slightly over. And we could have ditched the very heavy Yeti coolers and such. So it is do-able with some forethought and planning, but we switched to the 3/4 ton and that was the right answer for us.

Note that we also had the Ford F150 platinum with all the (heavy) goodies, so our payload was about 1500 lbs. A lesser equipped version could easily add another 500 lbs to the payload. Note also that we had the 3.5EB and never wanted for power; just the payload.

Have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote