Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Excursion advice

We love our 2004 Excursion as a tow vehicle. Since we do not see a good replacement TV on the horizon, we want to preserve our Excursion.

What advice would you offer if we were to "preserve" the X and use it primarily for towing versus a daily driving vehicle?
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Run it regularly. Try not to let it sit for more than 3-4 weeks in the same spot without moving it. Change the fluids using the months schedule rather than miles since time will pass faster than miles if it sits and waits primarily for towing. If possible, and it's in a garage, try to put some old carpet under the wheels, off the cement.

If your area gets humid, and also it's indoor, get a good dehumidifier. Sounds a bit overkill, but here in this area, it a very humid heat being next to the pond here in Chicago. I pull out gallons a day out of the garage.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree; it needs to be run regularly. We have several antique cars and have found that "a car that is not run, is a car that does not run". Use the Excursion often, but sparingly. Remember if you just start it up to run for a little while, you need to place the transmission in gear to allow the fluids to circuate. Not doing this will cause seals to shrink and harden; this is what causes leaks. The same applies to the air conditioning; let it run for a few minutes. Put the power windows (including the back windows) up and down often; they will work longer.

A very important thing to remember is that tires can become dangerous when they become old even thought they have lots of tread. I had a scary experience with my DeLorean that had twelve year old tires with 3000 miles on them. They looked great and there were no visible cracks. SuEllyn was driving in front of me on I-295 at 65 mph when the sidewall blew out instantaneously. SuElly was able to stop the DeLorean safely, but only with a lot of effort.

Good luck on your preservation quest.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
For control of crankcase condensation I've heard you have to drive it enough to bring the engine up to full operating temperature periodically.

Airspace in the gas tank is a source of condensation off the tank sides in cooler areas -- dunno about there. Gasohol (not E-85) is mandated in MN; the alcohol component absorbs moisture and keeps us from having to use fuel deicers. How full the tank should be I will leave to others but I'd think you'd want to treat the remaining fuel with Stabil.

Battery maintenance. And like 'twink says about rubber on concrete -- the concrete pulls out some of the oil component in the tires, weakening them faster. Good advice on trailer storage too! I use heavy plastic. And moosetags comments about old tires with good tread should be followed -- replace TV & Airstream tires every 3-5 years.

I've PM'ed Scott of scottanlily to see what he might add.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Which One??

I would ask, "Which one?" Diesel or Gas? If it's a diesel, "Drive it like you stole it!", If it's gas, "Drive it harder!". I have a 2002 diesel, 110K on the OD, 7.3 diesel. I have a 2000 (made sept. 1999) F250SD, 4x4, crew, 8' bed has 220K on the OD. Parts will be around for a long time, diesel will last a least 300K+. Plus, in three, five years you can always find the same one with low miles for a replacement. Remember, they made that truck up until 2006. There a many out there for sale all the time (more gas than diesel). Enjoy it while you can, you never know whats going to happen tomorrow!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Most of this is pretty solid advice....I want to emphasis a few points...drive it often and LONG ENOUGH to get the moisture out of the engine and exaust. That means at least 15 minutes of Hiway speed. Tires....Buy good quality tires and keep them fully inflated. Tires will last for 10 years without any significant deterioration according to Michelin as long as the basic rules of tire care are adheared too....and that means keep them out of the sun when possible. Sun...HEAT...direct sun is the biggest enemy of tires along with UNDERINFLATION. DO NOT..let your Vehicle set for extended periods of time. Drive it often and change (as suggested) the fluids by the month scheduals not mileage. KEEP THE FUEL TANK FULL especially when you are going to park it for an extended period of time. Fuel diesel or gas starts to deteriorate after 30 days. I have a friend who is a Chevron Distributor....ADVICE from HIM....Don't store diesel over 90 days under ANY condition and gas can be stored for up to a year if Fuel stabilizers are used. DRIVE it often....the engine will never wear out with proper maint.....I say that in all honesty...you won't live long enough to wear out the engine if you treat it with the proper maint. The trainsmisson needs the fluid changed twice as often as recommended by the manufacturer. Some wll look at this advice with Disgust....but I have never had an engine wear out. I have a gas engine (460) with 267,000 on it....going strong. I had a 7.3 with 392,000 that was used to transport trailers....sold it. Its still going strong with well over 450,000 on it. ONLY thing done was some injector work and a water pump. They cost too much money to penny pinch on maint. Keep em clean, inside, and NEVER get em hot.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks all - great recommendations. For all the care, it looks like it just makes sense to keep it as my regular vehicle. The Excursion is a great machine. Thanks again!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Over Christmas I did not drive my '01 Chevy 2500hd with 8.1 gas engine. It has disc brakes all around. After sitting for 6 days, I drove to the store and noticed that the brakes were not as strong as they usually are. I imagine they developed slight surface rust and had to have this worked off. After a few miles it was back to business as usual. For a multitude of reasons, I fell that any vehicle used strictly for towing should be driven at least twice a week and run up to operating temp each time.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I run both my museum piece SS and Suburban between 2-4 weeks and get them to operating temp...

One thing I forgot to mention is to put some Stabil in the gas tank if it's gonna sit more than a month without fresh gas being put in. I use it all the time and it's worked great.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Well ,Id say you guys have given great advice here and I don't have alot of
extra answers to give nilesrob .agree drive it minimum once a week as said
full operating temp is best so around the block is not enough ,drive for a 1/2
hour or so .watch the tire pressure .engines like to develope little seeps and leaks ,keep the batteries on a float charge that will keep them maintaned
so they don't get discharged sitting ,they don't need a regular trickle charger
,just the kind that keeps them stable and full .the fuel tank full or half or
close to empty will depend on if your not planning to use it for a couple months at a time,as DFord79 has said you want the fuel fresh and moisture
is not a diesel fuels friend for sure. The main concern overall is just to
operate it on a regular basis ,not everyday necessarilly but often .by the way
ford has had some troubles with the EGR heater (leaking coolant into the engine) have not serviced one ,but my customers truck had this trouble and it was under warranty ,had it done last month ,it was a 2004 6.0 power stroke ,watch for coolant loss as well at the coolant bottle ,developing cracks at the plastic hose connection (large hose under it)they tend to crack
there and seep out coolant .The presents of white smoke that will scare you
into thinking head gasket (not the problem)from the exhaust also is a clue.
Another thing that Ford has done and I highly recommend it to all 6.0 owners,
is to have the PCM upgrade that cycles the injectors for a minute or so after
shutdown of engine .The upgrade is designed to help keep these injectors in good condition and resist all the troubles that have plauged them constantly.
Ok ,well I do believe i have given a few more answers than I thought I had to give ,but ultimately I concur with all here.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote