Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #41
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
"Two lanes but about 800 feet of it is 19% grade with hillside on right and deep canyon to left"

I have never seen a grade this steep on a public road. Is it a runaway truck lane -

Seriously, put that tv into low gear, use your brake controller lever to keep your speed down without heating you tv brakes too much. At least it is only 800 feet!
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Echoing that! Stuff can be replaced. So many lost their lives stuck on the escape routes up at the Camp fire... Makes one wonder how many tried to save stuff before fleeing.
Yep the gal that decided that the fire was going to burn the paint on her car and made a 180... engine stalled and blocked everyone else behind her... fire came down the hill and burned 'em...

As patton once did.. they should have put it in low gear and pushed her and her stalled car off the road and kept going...

those that went around on the gal... on the shoulder... made it out as shown on a captured phone video... as they came out of the fire less than 1000 ft down the roadway...

Oh and the gal that decided to make the U turn... she lived.. as some kind person picked her up in their car... go figure...

News is not telling much about it because I am sure she will be sued for everything the rest of her life... after killing all those behind her with her stupid action...

Be careful out their and take care of old No. 1 first ... then if time permits try and save the hopeless...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Pi View Post
"Two lanes but about 800 feet of it is 19% grade with hillside on right and deep canyon to left"

I have never seen a grade this steep on a public road.
. . .
You might want to read his older thread, which was linked in Post #18 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
PS — Your old thread with additional details about the road:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...pe-171817.html
This event is not a joking matter IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #44

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
16’ Sport.

Thank you for providing refuge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3553BE9-DB67-4D11-801C-4491CB829E19.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	328114  
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Hell on earth

I worked Malibu/Agoura this week (LASD) and I have never seen anything like it. I had no choice but to leave our AS on the Point as I was working. Amazingly, it survived. I figured you lived on Rambla when you described the grade and said it was gated. I didn’t read all the posts but assume you don’t travel much with it? I wouldn’t travel that road w/ an AS with anything less than a diesel 2500. You need the torque and stopping power. (Now stern authority voice) There was a mandatory evacuation order. Next time (hopefully not) leave the trailer and go. I found the couple on Mulholland last Friday who waited too long. Now there is another person on Latigo today. The Paradise fire moved at 80mph. There’s no getting away from something like that. Especially where you live and the possibllity of downed power poles and boulders blocking the roadway and flow of late evacuees such as yourself. Glad you’re ok.
PCHCMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad for all who made it safely out, and especially for those who were able to take a temporary home with them.

My sincere sympathies to those whose loved ones perished.

I agree with Peter, not a joking matter and not the time to pick apart the why and how of the fire.

Maggie
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
We viewed the first flames of the Thomas Fire from our house. The extreme wind was a dire warning. We started packing the truck and hitched it. Early the next morning the fire was in Ventura and we heard there was another fire upwind of us. We took our important papers and headed north to pismo. Stayed in text w neighbors, and followed the fires on Twitter (my only use for that platform). Gone 11 days.

We were 2 less bodies requiring responder management and evacuation, we were safe, we weren’t breathing smoke and we didn’t have to watch the flames coming closer to our house every passing day. It’s great to have a 1970 silver evac pod, and a beloved one at that. We will handle it the same way in future. Our cue to leave is a call for voluntary evacs—if not before.

I hope you & yours are safe, and as well as can be expected, garfish. 👊🏼✌🏼
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
There are lots of roads in the East with 18-20% grades, 800' would not be a big issue. let it go as fast as you can in low gear and use the brakes where necessary but really not an issue at all for the Highlander.

We have a reservation at the Malibu RV Park starting November 28th. I'm thinking there is no hope of it being open by then.

If they are open I would go just to show support but don't want to be in anyone's way.

We really enjoy visiting there the restaurants and the beaches etc. It is heartbreaking to see the pictures. I hope everyone is ok.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
New Sport 22 in the driveway and Highlander LTD AWD is tv. We are packed and will leave if fire gets closer but that does not look likely. If we do go it is downhill 3 min to Pacific Coast Highway. Two lanes but about 800 feet of it is 19% grade with hillside on right and deep canyon to left

Never have tried up or down this road and always come a long way around (usually this would be where fire is). My wife said she saw a pick up drive by heading down the steep road with AS. She said thought same as ours. I know the guy and they have F150

Planned getting a Grand Cherokee but now wondering about 150. Is it able to tow my AS down 800 feet of 19%?
Make sure you know how to manually activate the gain for your trailer brakes. Before driving down, set it to the max, which is probably 10. As you progress down that steep grade, squeeze the activator (on our F150 it is two levers you pinch together. Your display on your TV, or on your brake controller, should show you the output. 1, 1.5., 2, 2.5,3, 3.5 etc. Let the trailer brakes slow you down, not your tow vehicle brakes. You'll be fine. I've done it on a similarly steep grade but not for that distance.
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have an 2008 25’FB Classic and have pull it with a F-150 Ecoboost Have driven over high mountain pass’s down grades never had a problem. We now have 80,000 on TV and about 35,000 to 40,000 on trailer. F150 with a six speed trans the tow mode works I use the trailer brakes going down more than I use the TV brakes.
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
"only reason its making the news is the hollyweards and their lifestyle down their... the colony is rich with people from hollyweard."

And this from a 4 rivet member? I'm guessing the Camp Fire didn't get far enough South.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
There are lots of roads in the East with 18-20% grades, 800' would not be a big issue. let it go as fast as you can in low gear and use the brakes where necessary but really not an issue at all for the Highlander.

We have a reservation at the Malibu RV Park starting November 28th. I'm thinking there is no hope of it being open by then.

If they are open I would go just to show support but don't want to be in anyone's way.

We really enjoy visiting there the restaurants and the beaches etc. It is heartbreaking to see the pictures. I hope everyone is ok.

Andy
Drove by there yesterday and looked like it burned. Could not get up to take a look as it is above PCH. Have you called them?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
AS after the fire

This is a friend’s burned out home and AS in Malibu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD6B0329-E50A-47D3-94BC-A30D7BAAEFE1.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	328174  
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you for the updates.

Condolences to everyone for the loss of life and property statewide.

Staggering . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One bit of good news.

The Malibu RV Resort Message says they will reopen December 3rd so I guess they were not hit too hard.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
One bit of good news.

The Malibu RV Resort Message says they will reopen December 3rd so I guess they were not hit too hard.
It’s about the view and short walk to the sands. All around the park is burnt

Let me know you are there and will drop by to say hi
Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Thank you for providing refuge.
For what it's worth, the Santa Monica Civic Center allows you to park RVs legally. It also happens to share a parking lot with police HQ so it's relatively safe. If any of you need to evacuate in the future that's a decent close place to go.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
Yep the gal that decided that the fire was going to burn the paint on her car and made a 180... engine stalled and blocked everyone else behind her... fire came down the hill and burned 'em...

As patton once did.. they should have put it in low gear and pushed her and her stalled car off the road and kept going...
I know this is veering off-subject and a bit late, but I'll make it topical. I got stalled in a freak snow dump (PT Cruiser, very low to the ground) because some clown a few cars ahead decided to STOP for no discernible reason. I had momentum until I stopped. Only one road in and out of the peninsula (work road). Thankfully I had a shovel and got going again. The idiot ahead who panicked (couldn't "see" the physical road) got driving again, no prob.

Moral of the story: I second the Patton sentiment; you have to push ahead. But, to do that you have to think a few steps ahead in a potential emergency situation. Most likely what you're doing is OK; it's the OTHER guy's actions you have to anticipate. Plan, role play situations in your head, and don't drive a PT! (I now have a Jeep)
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote