Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
Get a 150 minimum. Jeep has a very short wheel base. Might get a little squirreling going down hills 2500 or full size suburban is better. Plus you can take your 7 new best friends and their dogs
My cousin lives thousand oaks no ph. serv. internet, only got back in serv. when wind shifted yesterday but starting get windy again. I also think she stated no tv. They live very very close to fire, were ready to evac. until wind shift.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
No go pro but will take video tomorrow with IPhone
Hope everything is going well.

Can you give us a geographic landmark so we can get a good view on Google maps? For instance, there seems to be land near the Malibu Beach RV Park which matches your general description.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...4d-118.7797571

FYI Woolsey Fire:
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incid...ils/Index/2282
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/admin8327...e2282_4197.pdf

Hill/Woolsey fires:
https://www.vcemergency.com/

Cal Fire Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE?ref_src...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate with my 150. But really, any vehicle should be able to handle 800 feet. Start and stay slow. Put your vehicle in a low gear before you start down.

Good luck and best wishes to avoid the fires.
I concur
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Good luck to all of you in California dealing with this horrible issue. As others have said, you will have no problem driving this grade with your setup. Take it slow and use the trailer brakes manually and all will be well.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
I hope by time you read this you are safe and sound. Sounds like Las Flores? I have a GC with tow pkg and brake controller. I lived in the 'bu but now in the San Berdoos (every day is an adventure in towing) but I will follow this post to hear how you got down. If I remember correctly, your area is twisty and only one (practical) way is down Las Flores? (Rambla Pacific wiped out in 93, right?).
I await details of your outcome. The risk of fire (and earthquakes, landslides etc) was the price we pay for living in unparalleled beauty. Sorry y'all got caught up in this latest drama.
Stay safe even if you lv the AS behind. There's always insurance and they'll make more of them, but not more of you.
Bon Chance
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Take your tow vehicle and practice the run solo to get the feel of the road/hill.
Good Luck!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
We live in the Studio City area ( about 25 miles away) with a space big enough for your rig in front of our house with electrical and water hookups if you need a place to stay.
danjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Having been evacuated this year our hearts go out to you. We live in Idyllwild, CA and the Fires up here were devastating o our mountain! Luckily we were able to come back to our home but the area of the fire looks unbelievable!
Hopefully your home will be there when you return!
Best!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Stay safe and hope you don’t have to evacuate. Fire season is the fifth season out west. Crazy.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
The fire has stayed to the west and the winds are blowing south west to the ocean so did not and should not come this way. We live on Rambla Pacifico 10 houses from start of private, steep road to PCH. Staying home with the AS. All the help on TV and our safety appreciated. Many friends have lost their homes so we feel blessed
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Garfish so glad you are ready in case you need to leave and hopefully the Santa Ana's will cooperate. That looks like a very beautiful area you are in.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread for just a moment pardon me. I wonder how the Airstream that's perched on a Malibu cliff (unknown on the exact location) and rents for $600 a night on Airbnb fared?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I need to apologize for my error in grade versus angle. I drive down a lot of 7% grades here in Colorado and they seem steep to me. A 19% grade seemed impossible to me.

Generally slope grade is about half the angle, not twice the angle as I mistakenly mentioned. 19% grade is still darn steep, but not the steepness I had mentioned. Hey, we learn from each other here on Air Forums.

The advice here for descending this steep grade with your Airstream in tow is valid.

But most importantly Garfish and all the others in harms way are escaping and taken shelter.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I know the Airstream up on the mountain top, my daughter stayed there once. I expect it is toast as was near worst area. We stayed and fire danger has past. Still not sure about towing down. If there is time when fire comes again (it will) then I will go out the other way it safe. My friend who drives a huge water truck all over the Santa Monica mountains and is a safe, but kick ass guy told me DONT TRY IT, David. I know a 22 or 23 AS was towed down with 150. But ......
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Good to hear you made it ok.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hope you are still in the clear as far as the flames go, Air Quality, probably not so much. Back in the mid 2000's, I lived in an apt on the Campus of Cal State Channel Islands in Camarillo and worked at Amgen in TO. I also commuted on weekends back to my permanent home (at the time) in Milwaukee, and always left TO on Friday afternoon and drove down Malibu Canyon Rd to the PCH and down to Santa Monica to get to LAX. It was predictable while the 101/405 were not. A fun drive in a Volvo AWD wagon, not so much with a truck and AS, but I've probably been on worse.

While there, we had the torrential Winter storm that brought a Mountainside down on La Conchita just to the South of Santa Barbara. I came into LAX one night and found the 405 was flooded as were parts of the 101. I wound my way up the PCH to near Malibu but had to take detours up and down canyon roads to get around landslides blocking the PCH. It was blocked just that side of Pt Magu, so I took a canyon rd up to West Lake Village and was able to get to the 101, however the exits at the bottom of the grade coming into Camarillo were all flooded so had to proceed all the way to Oxnard and back South on the PCH and back roads to the campus. What a night... dodging boulders and rivers running across those narrow canyon roads!

It took me about 6 hrs to get home in what was usually less than a 2 hr drive. To my amazement, the canyon road going up to Newbury Park (my back way to Amgen) was open the next morning while Camarillo was still flooded.

I had seen small fires in the vicinity of where the Hill fire just burned through, and was always on the watch as my Apt backed right up to those hills and Pt Magu State Park. Glad to see they got that one contained! I have also seen fires over between Moorpark and Camarillo and some were pretty intense, but back then, it was a whole lot less densely populated.

What did ensue however, were the landslides that followed when the rainy season finally came... and I fear you have just begun to see nature's wrath. Let's hope the rains are gentle this year...

I know a bit about forest fire fighting having been certified in California back in the late 70's. I trained with the Forest Service at the College of the Redwoods. It was gruelling work, just cutting simulated fire lines... And yes we did this in similar terrain, on hillsides with 100% (45 degree) slopes. One thing for sure, you don't want to be at the head of those lines... Unfortunately for me, I was deemed too valuable in mapping timber sales (up near Gasquet in the Six Rivers National Forest) to be assigned to fires that summer and I was only making GS3 wages and going broke. It was a light fire season, so otherwise I might have had a chance to make some real money (hazard pay). Still a wonderful experience.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I fear for California, Iím a native but my family left when I was three. I was born in UCLA Hospital in 1967. This is what made it so difficult for me in 1993 when we were deployed on the Malibu Fire. I grew up saying I wanted to go back.

I hear on the news this is due to climate change, poor forest management, utility issues....I think that is all garbage. I was in those hills in 1993, there is very light fast fuel, manzanita and chaparral, optimal weather conditions and strong wind.

Contarary to what the news shows, firefighters must live, no structure is worth dying for, when those fires run there is nothing you can do except hit them from the air with tankers. We ran out of Topanga Canyon like lunatics, fire was going up and down. We lit backfires around Pepperdine University.

The whole time I was with Montana firefighters, they could not comprehend the fire danger. I think we will see fires there every year. Very sad, please think about the future and stay safe.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Garfish we are glad you came back on to let us know how you are doing and that you were able to stay put.

Was not trying to be insensitive when asking about the Malibu bluff Airstream. Just know it was not far away from you and wishing them well also.

Lives and heartbeats always trump property but we all have a soft spot for Airstreams. Stay safe.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Echoing that! Stuff can be replaced. So many lost their lives stuck on the escape routes up at the Camp fire... Makes one wonder how many tried to save stuff before fleeing.

One last thought on the Malibu Canyon Rd. Not only do you have the canyon drop off on the one side, on the hill side (on your side driving downhill) you also have deep ditches to channel runoff of the hill. In the heavy smoke, and given the twisty nature of that road, it wouldn't take much to lose sight of the edge of the road and run off into the ditch.

As my Great Grandfather used to say, Keep it between the ditches, and don't try to straighten out the curves!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #39

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Portland , Oregon
I realize this post is a few days old.

Why wait? In last year's Sonoma County fire, a friend described how fast the fire traveled, and how he and his wife had time to grab the car keys and nothing else before driving down their fiery driveway. They didn't have the luxury of driving 5 mph.

Be safe! You're worth it!
McConnellPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I face about 400 feet of 19 degrees every time I come or go. No problem. If it is wet, test your trailer brakes before you get on it.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote