Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can't imagine not using a weight distributing/sway control hitch.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I agree with 5 of these reasons.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 AM   #23
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Do I sense a bit of machismo here.....balls only crowd.?

Got something against machismo?
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Dallas , Texas
We HAD a 2017 Classic 30' towed by a Silverado 150 with an Equalizer anti-sway hitch. (Sold to us by the dealer) HAD being the operative word. Was going 60 mph over a bridge and wham hit a bump and the SWAY started...next thing I know my hubby and I are slamming into a bridge embankment and the beautiful AS passed us and then FLIPPED turning us into oncoming traffic. Thankful to be here to tell about it.

Yes, we are newbies and getting back on the horse so to speak and just got another 2018 AS, TB 27' and new truck. (Both the others were totaled) But this time we got a Hensley Arrow, and while I am still recovering from the wreck mentally, my husband is eager to get on the road. We are also taking an 8 hour driving class for RV's. I am thankful he is willing to spend the money for the hitch and lessons to appease me. Feeling the ❤️ love...
LamAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamAtHome View Post
We HAD a 2017 Classic 30' towed by a Silverado 150 with an Equalizer anti-sway hitch. (Sold to us by the dealer) HAD being the operative word. Was going 60 mph over a bridge and wham hit a bump and the SWAY started...next thing I know my hubby and I are slamming into a bridge embankment and the beautiful AS passed us and then FLIPPED turning us into oncoming traffic. Thankful to be here to tell about it.

Yes, we are newbies and getting back on the horse so to speak and just got another 2018 AS, TB 27' and new truck. (Both the others were totaled) But this time we got a Hensley Arrow, and while I am still recovering from the wreck mentally, my husband is eager to get on the road. We are also taking an 8 hour driving class for RV's. I am thankful he is willing to spend the money for the hitch and lessons to appease me. Feeling the ❤️ love...
My Equal-i-zer was not properly set up by the dealer.
It was set up a little closer, but still not perfect at Jackson Center.
After 2 years of trial and error I got it the best it can get- good weight distribution and good sway control.
I had to go beyond the generic Equal-i-zer instructions- 6 washers in the hitch head and the L-brackets raised to get sufficient sway control.
I had to figure it out with no help from Progress Manufacturing- all they could do is recite the same generic instructions I already had- what "should" work-
Every rig is different.
There is no one-size-fits-all.
I think I would like a ProPride hitch, but it isn't nearly the priority it once was since I got the Equal-i-zer dialed in.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #26
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I agree with 5 of these reasons.
Haha. I got a chuckle from that response.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What was the 1 reason? Same safety margin?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #28
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Sorry, but this is proof that a WD hitch doesn't save you, it's just more complexity and money that you don't need.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with a Hensley Arrow on the 2013 25FB International Serenity attached to my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. Had no towing issues bringing the new empty 25FB from Los Angles to Phoenix. I was driving 55 mph and was passed by everyone. No sway issues from the trucks passing at 80 mph on I-10 when I got into Arizona.

The loaded trailer made the MB unhappy so switched to our current 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins with the Hensley system still in place. I kept the Hensley Arrow when the 25FB was traded in on our 2014 31' Classic. The Classic got a ProPride (second generation Hensley design) which has worked well.

The original Hensley Arrow was still in storage and is now attached to our 2015 23D International Serenity towed behind the 2007 Mercedes. I stopped by Andy Thompson at CanAm in London, Ontario, Canada on the way home with the 23D and he fine tuned the Hensley. Much better combination of car and trailer and it drives like it is on rails.

Each of us gets to make hitch choices. I elected to use the Jim Hensley designed hitches and have never look back with any regrets. They do what the marketing materials claim, so I am a happy camper.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
Sorry, but this is proof that a WD hitch doesn't save you, it's just more complexity and money that you don't need.
New here and learning the language ~ what does WD mean?

Also, what does "save" me? I don't want to flip again...

Thanks. Gwen
Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #31
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Weight distribution or weight distributing. Most also include anti-sway although you can get anti-sway without WD. Clear as mud?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #32
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:

Also, what does "save" me? I don't want to flip again...

Thanks. Gwen
WD means "Weight Distribution" hitch. It uses the hitch to apply pressure on your front wheels. Many folks think they are a "magic bullet" and feel they are required to tow anything. The fact is unless your vehicles are so poorly loaded you really don't need them. Trailers usually flip because of one of many reasons:
1) Driving too fast
2) High crosswinds
3) dropping trailer or truck wheels off the paved surface (usually while #1) and over correcting

I travel all over the country teaching folks vehicle dynamics and am usually towing a trailer fully loaded with the equipment needed to do it. I agree that a WD hitch can help level out a load, but most folks on this forum think it's the magic bullet that will always keep them upright. The key is to drive intelligently, load your trailer with stuff so that it's balanced, and while driving always look far down the road for issues that can cause you to get out of sorts and risk rolling over. Follow these three rules and you'll never need a WD hitch again.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
WD means "Weight Distribution" hitch. It uses the hitch to apply pressure on your front wheels. Many folks think they are a "magic bullet" and feel they are required to tow anything. The fact is unless your vehicles are so poorly loaded you really don't need them. Trailers usually flip because of one of many reasons:
1) Driving too fast
2) High crosswinds
3) dropping trailer or truck wheels off the paved surface (usually while #1) and over correcting

I travel all over the country teaching folks vehicle dynamics and am usually towing a trailer fully loaded with the equipment needed to do it. I agree that a WD hitch can help level out a load, but most folks on this forum think it's the magic bullet that will always keep them upright. The key is to drive intelligently, load your trailer with stuff so that it's balanced, and while driving always look far down the road for issues that can cause you to get out of sorts and risk rolling over. Follow these three rules and you'll never need a WD hitch again.

That last bit seems an irresponsible blanket statement to me. Not matter how well you balance the load in the trailer, if the tongue weight lifts weight off the front end of the tow vehicle, WD may be essential for proper steering and handling. Weighing the rig properly at the scales is essential to understanding the dynamics of your particular setup and how effective your load balancing is or isn't.

And Gwen - sorry about the accident - there is nothing that can 100% ensure you never flip again - just too many x-factors - some out of your control, but lots of things in your control you can do to reduce that risk greatly. Much of the advice wildhorses provided above is spot on (though I clearly disagree with the blanket statement about WD...). There are countless threads in here on such topics - sometimes they get heated as people tend to be passionate about their perspectives but search for topics on weight distribution, weighing your rig at CAT scales, and (gulp!) WD hitches (man these get like religious wars so prepare for that....).

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
As you can see, there are many years of experience here...as I mentioned in earlier post, think of the WDH as added protection...do you wear a seat belt and have airbags? The load on the front wheels is extremely important and the WDH will help distribute that weight over your TV frame. That control is important.

I was traveling 60+ in CA 2 years ago on US395, outside of Yosemite and Bridgeport area pulling my 25' FB Twin AS. I was in fast lane as I passed a slower vehicle earlier, and was attempting to switch lanes back to the right slower, lane. I signaled and looked in my mirror, then proceeded to change to the right when wife shouted "lookout, there's a sports car"! A Porsche had come out of no where at blazing speed and went to pass on my right, even though I was signaling. I quickly swerved back to the left and found myself over steering into the center dirt median, then miraculously, both the truck and the AS straightened right out. I steered back into the fast lane, changed to the slow lane, and exited...some drawers had come out and a cabinet door had opened...some stuff on the floor. Hearts racing as we discussed what had happened. I am convinced the WDH with aniti-sway, saved us from a roll over and bad accident. I now have a new F250...the manual recommends using a WDH when towing heavy trailers. I am not influenced by the naysayers...I do what I believe will add safety to my self and my family when driving. But hey, that's just me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Please not another one of these ! Roll my eyes.
This story doesn't pass the smell test.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Please not another one of these ! Roll my eyes.
This story doesn't pass the smell test.

Another thread to hawk an overpriced over-hyped hitch that comes with 23 pages of installation instructions.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
As you can see, there are many years of experience here...as I mentioned in earlier post, think of the WDH as added protection...do you wear a seat belt and have airbags? The load on the front wheels is extremely important and the WDH will help distribute that weight over your TV frame. That control is important.

I was traveling 60+ in CA 2 years ago on US395, outside of Yosemite and Bridgeport area pulling my 25' FB Twin AS. I was in fast lane as I passed a slower vehicle earlier, and was attempting to switch lanes back to the right slower, lane. I signaled and looked in my mirror, then proceeded to change to the right when wife shouted "lookout, there's a sports car"! A Porsche had come out of no where at blazing speed and went to pass on my right, even though I was signaling. I quickly swerved back to the left and found myself over steering into the center dirt median, then miraculously, both the truck and the AS straightened right out. I steered back into the fast lane, changed to the slow lane, and exited...some drawers had come out and a cabinet door had opened...some stuff on the floor. Hearts racing as we discussed what had happened. I am convinced the WDH with aniti-sway, saved us from a roll over and bad accident. I now have a new F250...the manual recommends using a WDH when towing heavy trailers. I am not influenced by the naysayers...I do what I believe will add safety to my self and my family when driving. But hey, that's just me.
Hi

.... well obviously you need driving lessons . Glad you made it ok.

My question is - when the trailer in front of you rolls over, how do you give lessons to the driver of that trailer?

You could be going 20 MHP in a 60 MHP zone (to maintain spacing of course) and they just passed you (wonder why) ... how much slower should you have been driving? There is no way to *guarantee* a following distance in traffic.

Margin matters. Better hitches add to your margin. They can't guarantee success, but they make it more likely. Driving technique can't guarantee success either. They also just improve the odds.

The roll over a couple weeks ago happened far enough down the road that slowing down was not a problem (even with a 30' Classic). It did happen to me, but (obviously) not on my trailer. You never can be 100% sure of what's going to happen. (No, I wasn't going 20 MHP .... I'm not insane ...)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If you are going 65 mph following distance will take care of itself.
Every other vehicle on the road will be going 70 mph or more.
As they pass you and move back into the right lane their higher speed will automatically cause them to pull away from you creating the recommended 6 seconds or more following distance.
Just go the posted limit up to 65 mph and 60-65 mph when the speed limit is greater than 65 mph with weight distribution and sway control.
Has worked for me for literally a million miles with all types of trailers and tow vehicles.
I did hydroplane once... Going too fast for conditions on tires that should have been replaced sooner. Fact is, if you are going less than 55 mph on wet road and have good tires you will likely never hydroplane. Never use cruise control on wet roads.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Another thread to hawk an overpriced over-hyped hitch that comes with 23 pages of installation instructions.

You're replying to yourself to complain twice about an effective hitch with detailed instructions?🤣. You don't use one, you don't have a point of reference, so why the bashing? Did Bambi and Thumper teach you nothing? 🤣

And back to the topic...for DarrelT

The only way to really know is to weigh it at the scales. Too many x-factors - but if your F250 manual has a range where WD is not required/recommended and the 26U tongue weight doesn't lift more off the front than that - you may be able to do without. Odds are good you'll still need it though. I have a 3/4T (Chevy) and sorting through all the manuals, towing a 27FB with 980# of tongue lifts about 500# off the front axle and the manual wants 50-100% of that back. At 50% even 75% restored, there was some porpoising. At 100% restored, it's very smooth.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
No WD Needed

I pull a FC27FB with a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. It has a payload of 3025 and factory airbags. I use electronic sway master. With the auto leveling air bags the 800 # tongue weight is nothing for that payload rating. It is as if the trailer is not even there. If I am not careful I find myself doing 75 mph and not noticing it. Ok go ahead tell me I need a WD hitch. I don't think so.
jcrango is offline   Reply With Quote