Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Enough to really pi$$ you off...

Last night, someone stole about 1/4 tank (10 gallons) of gas from my Suburban. I discovered it when I went out to my car this morning (parked on the street in front of the house) and found the gas door open and the cap hanging by it's strap. I had filled the tank Saturday afternoon, and when I got home last night, my gauge was at 3/4. When I put the key in and started up this morning, it read 1/2. At $4.00+ a gallon, 10 gallons is a considerable sum.

I hadn't given a thought about locking gas caps since the 1970's, I guess it's time to find one again...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Before you put a locking cap on the TV ,have you thought about a little surprisein case they come back? ie some strong linament that would burn if he tried to rub it of .A mouse trap inside the cap . a video camera . Let your imagination run wild
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
Last night, someone stole about 1/4 tank (10 gallons) of gas from my Suburban. I discovered it when I went out to my car this morning (parked on the street in front of the house) and found the gas door open and the cap hanging by it's strap. I had filled the tank Saturday afternoon, and when I got home last night, my gauge was at 3/4. When I put the key in and started up this morning, it read 1/2. At $4.00+ a gallon, 10 gallons is a considerable sum.

I hadn't given a thought about locking gas caps since the 1970's, I guess it's time to find one again...
You can also add a sign to the gas tank filler neck door.

CAUTION. CAUTION.

There are two hand grenades attached to the gas filler door. They must be disarmed, BEFORE opening the gas filler door.

Seriously, if your tow vehicle has a built in alarm system, you can add the security of the filler door to it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Seriously, why don't the american manufacturers think that having a non locking filler door is a good idea? My VW has one, as does my wife's Volvo. Guess it's time to get a locking gas cap for the Dodge.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Seriously, why don't the american manufacturers think that having a non locking filler door is a good idea? My VW has one, as does my wife's Volvo. Guess it's time to get a locking gas cap for the Dodge.

Chris- as good as an idea it sounds, the locking covers on todays cars, our Passat included is not to stop people from getting into your tank but to be sure the door does not open while driving. What it does do is cause $450 + of body damage when they put a pry bar on it and it pops right open!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Thats a good point. It the same reason and rationale that I use for NOT locking my trailer in my driveway. It's cheaper to replace the stolen stuff than get the door repaired.

Maybe I need to rig up a .410 shotgun full of rock salt to the gas flap.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Ya'll can over engineer anything you want about the gas door, it won't stop the crook.

After Katrina a new technique was used, an ice pick (some dumb ones use a cordless drill) and kitty litter tray. They just punch a hole in the tank and get what they can in the tray. What ever runs out when the tray is poured into a gas can or they get chased away spills on the ground. Quicker than a siphon.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Replacing a punctured tank will cost a few hundred bucks. Glad we have a garage to park in, because it may get a whole lot worse out there.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Ya'll can over engineer anything you want about the gas door, it won't stop the crook.

After Katrina a new technique was used, an ice pick (some dumb ones use a cordless drill) and kitty litter tray. They just punch a hole in the tank and get what they can in the tray. What ever runs out when the tray is poured into a gas can or they get chased away spills on the ground. Quicker than a siphon.
Gas thieves should all get Darwin awards. For Katrina we parked my wife’s Explore next to my mother-in-laws Toyota at her home and evacuated. Upon return we found the locking gas door on the Toyota pried open and the unlocked door on the Explore not even touched. The two cars were side by side with the Toyota gas door on the driver side and the Explorer on the passenger side, not 4 feet apart.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
A few years ago I had gas siphoned from my F-150 in a parking lot. I came out to find both tank doors open and the caps were hanging. Needless to say they did not get very much which was obvious by the huge pool of stomach contents on the ground. I took great pleasure in knowing that it was a painful event for that person.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Gas thieves should all get Darwin awards. For Katrina we parked my wife’s Explore next to my mother-in-laws Toyota at her home and evacuated. Upon return we found the locking gas door on the Toyota pried open and the unlocked door on the Explore not even touched. The two cars were side by side with the Toyota gas door on the driver side and the Explorer on the passenger side, not 4 feet apart.
The thieves were Toyota owners and were afraid of cross-contamination...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
How about the fella in Florida that managed to get access to a service station pump. He gave away about 100 gallons to whoever pulled their cars up then he left. It was caught on security camera. Then the service station owner says he will raise the price to make up for his loss! REALLY!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Close to home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Chris- as good as an idea it sounds, the locking covers on todays cars, our Passat included is not to stop people from getting into your tank but to be sure the door does not open while driving. What it does do is cause $450 + of body damage when they put a pry bar on it and it pops right open!
Rick -I hate to hear that as I think of mine setting outside.

Chris -Good point leaving the door unlocked.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:

........Maybe I need to rig up a .410 shotgun full of rock salt to the gas flap.
Or maybe a 10 ga with double ought!!!!

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Because gas is too cheap, here, to be bothered stealing it.

Oh, wait--

guess that ain't true, anymore.

well...it was when they decided to make the cars that way...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I was listening to an automotive guy on the radio the other day talk about locking gas caps. If you have a late model vehicle you need to purchase the locking cap from the car manufacturer. Apparently the late model cars go through emissions test while you drive down the road that checks the integrity of the gas cap via a vacuum. An aftermarket locking gas cap will cause the computer to throw a check engine code because they do not seal properly.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
A crew here had a hose line on an extendable arm. Siphon pump and tank in their car. Pull up next to a vehicle and siphon it dry.

Now, just wait until the same thieves strip the copper from you AC.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Twenty years ago I had saddle tanks on my F250 SuperCab Ford with locking caps. We left for a week with the truck parked inside a locked gate, fenced yard and came back to find that they'd removed the rubber connecting hose at the tank, slipped their own over it, and siphoned all but about 5 gals that way. Crooks are ingenious.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Almost impossible

I have tried to siphon gas out of our 2005 Suburban and was not successful. When I asked my dealer what was up he said that the roll over protection that protects from gas spills in a roll over make it impossible to siphon. But with a 37.5 gal tank I had better install a security system...
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Siphoning

Best I remember, about 15 years or so, someone tried to siphon gas out of a brand X motorhome, as reported in a newspaper.

Unfortunately, they put the hose in the black water tank flush out filler neck.

They must have left in a hurray, because the hose they used, was left behind.

HOORAY. Bad guy "0" Good guys "1".

But wait. There are coarse screens that you can get at auto parts stores that you insert into the filler neck. Stops that problem, quickly.

But leave it to some of those enterprising grammer school "almost" graduates, they don't mess with the gas filler neck.

Instead, they get under the vehicle, especially trucks, with 5 gallon cans, and simply punch a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. That with a little funnel, and your in business. No hoses needed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote