Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Elon loves his cybertruck but admits it could flop

Just to stir the pot on a lively discussion here.

Full address: https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...-made-n1274145
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #122
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Just to stir the pot on a lively discussion here.

Full address: https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...-made-n1274145
I am not on the list for the Cybertruck. For me, it is too large and too heavy. I do think that it will advance the state of the art, however, and that is a good thing. And if it doesn’t sell they can always convert a portion of a very large factory in Austin to produce something else, like more Tesla Semi models.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
Maybe.

Not to pick nits, but vertical integration is not really related to reliability, and typically has an inverse relationship to manufacturing cost. For something like a shaft position or hall effect sensor, if Denso or Continental or whomever can make them in batches of 10 million rather than 200,000, cost and quality both typically improve, plus the data sheet already exists. Making that in-house is a peculiar spend in both calendar and money.
Maybe. But maybe not.

That's the traditional manufacturing philosophy, that every legacy manufacturer has been practicing. Optimizing variables at the functional level without stepping back and looking at the totality of the impact.

Tesla's vertical integration is singularly breaking that mold because they can optimize for the overall product. It can't be denied that it has some pretty significant advantages because Tesla is objectively delivering competitive and performant vehicles. Arguably market leaders on so many fronts. That doesn't happen without a positive change to organizational and development philosophies and methodologies. Their focus on first order principles that make the most difference to the overall product is refreshing.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #124

2022 16' Bambi
Oregon City , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Depends what you’re own specific definition of practical is. Most of my trips with my X/AS rig are within my range. Charge at home before I leave, charge at the campsite while I’m there.

On longer trips, which is the exception for us, I plan around it. We charge during a lunch break, which we would have stopped for anyway. Or we do our camping groceries while the X charges, which is time saved at home. Or we camp along the way to our destination and charge up at a site while we sleep, making our travels more relaxed. And remember, these are the equivalent of our gas station stops. We don’t add many more than in an ICE vehicle.

It’s more planning for sure and not for everyone, but to us it is practical, efficient and fun. I actually enjoy the planning part and seeing how far I can stretch my range. All a matter of preferences though.

The only limitation that really bugs us to be honest is the max the X can tow. I’d love a slightly bigger trailer. The 500 TW is the constraint. It’s getting tight in the Bambi with two growing kids. Right now, that’s the only real thing I regret about my rig.
I love to hear this. We are a few months out from getting our first airstream (a 2022, 16' Bambi) and have a deposit down for a model X, which will be arriving at the end of the year. It's exciting! I get that it will require some advanced planning, but since we don't know any different, and have never experienced towing or camping in a trailer with and ICE vehicle, it'll just be the way it is. :-)
pdxjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjess View Post
I love to hear this. We are a few months out from getting our first airstream (a 2022, 16' Bambi) and have a deposit down for a model X, which will be arriving at the end of the year. It's exciting! I get that it will require some advanced planning, but since we don't know any different, and have never experienced towing or camping in a trailer with and ICE vehicle, it'll just be the way it is. :-)
There are plenty of threads on the TeslaMotorsClub forum on towing. A good place to start is with this one

Tesla Towing Club on Facebook is another active group.

We've been towing with our MX since 2018, including trips cross country and Newfoundland. Happy to answer any questions.

Good luck
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Speaking of Tesla, fans will be shocked, SHOCKED to discover Tesla's website has recently removed all mention of 2022 delivery date on the Cybertruck.

When Elon revealed the polarizing vehicle in waaaaaay back in 2019, he stated deliveries would start in 2022. The website claimed that those that pre-ordered theirs would be able to finalize their order in late 2021.

To be fair, there was an unforeseen global pandemic in the interim, but even so, it's not like Tesla has ever once delivered on time.

I'm still predicting 2024 at the earliest for Cybertruck deliveries to start, 2026 or so for models with most of the bugs fixed.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:40 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjess View Post
The X should easily tow your 16’. You’ll have fun. Enjoy!
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote