Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
yeah practical electric towing is a ways off, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Depends what you’re own specific definition of practical is. Most of my trips with my X/AS rig are within my range. Charge at home before I leave, charge at the campsite while I’m there.

On longer trips, which is the exception for us, I plan around it. We charge during a lunch break, which we would have stopped for anyway. Or we do our camping groceries while the X charges, which is time saved at home. Or we camp along the way to our destination and charge up at a site while we sleep, making our travels more relaxed. And remember, these are the equivalent of our gas station stops. We don’t add many more than in an ICE vehicle.

It’s more planning for sure and not for everyone, but to us it is practical, efficient and fun. I actually enjoy the planning part and seeing how far I can stretch my range. All a matter of preferences though.

The only limitation that really bugs us to be honest is the max the X can tow. I’d love a slightly bigger trailer. The 500 TW is the constraint. It’s getting tight in the Bambi with two growing kids. Right now, that’s the only real thing I regret about my rig.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:37 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think the Cybertruck will tow fine. As will the Tesla Semi. Closer than you think.

But I don’t want either of those. I want a trailer suited to a model Y.
It’s not an AS but well within the Y’s towing capacity I would think, have you considered an Alto from SafariCondo?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
. . .
. . . Technology is accelerating — we may get a pure electric tow vehicle sooner rather than later.
. . .
Yup!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Our experience with charging is very similar to yours. Most of the time when we stop for coffee, bathroom, or walking the dogs the car is ready for the next leg before we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
The only limitation that really bugs us to be honest is the max the X can tow. I’d love a slightly bigger trailer. The 500 TW is the constraint. It’s getting tight in the Bambi with two growing kids. Right now, that’s the only real thing I regret about my rig.
If you really need bigger you could probably tow a 31' footer with the MX. You just need to go with an older trailer that is lighter per unit length (pre 1981). I would also recommend swapping out the OEM hitch receiver to a Drawtite if you go that route.

1975 Sovereign 31' GVWR 5065 Hitch 495
1981 International & Excella II 27' GVWR 4230 Hitch 490

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ts-guide-7.pdf
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think the Cybertruck will tow fine. As will the Tesla Semi. Closer than you think.

But I don’t want either of those. I want a trailer suited to a model Y.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:42 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
Our experience with charging is very similar to yours. Most of the time when we stop for coffee, bathroom, or walking the dogs the car is ready for the next leg before we are.

If you really need bigger you could probably tow a 31' footer with the MX. You just need to go with an older trailer that is lighter per unit length (pre 1981). I would also recommend swapping out the OEM hitch receiver to a Drawtite if you go that route.

1975 Sovereign 31' GVWR 5065 Hitch 495
1981 International & Excella II 27' GVWR 4230 Hitch 490

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ts-guide-7.pdf
Didn’t know that some older longer AS were lighter. Thanks. Something I’ll have to investigate further.

Already got the DrawTite hitch receiver. Seeing as the Bambi TW is precisely 500, I didn’t want to risk it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Didn’t know that some older longer AS were lighter. Thanks. Something I’ll have to investigate further.

Already got the DrawTite hitch receiver. Seeing as the Bambi TW is precisely 500, I didn’t want to risk it.
Much lighter trailers back in the day. Here is a 26' Overlander brochure. much lighter than your Bambi Check out the tongue weight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3410.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	374500  

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #88
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Bobbo: been there, done that. Pop up trailers behind a Volvo 245, then an Explorer. Did great. Times change.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #89
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
It’s not an AS but well within the Y’s towing capacity I would think, have you considered an Alto from SafariCondo?
Read about them, thanks.

Looking at the new Basecamp 20 just for ideas.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Depends what you’re own specific definition of practical is. Most of my trips with my X/AS rig are within my range. Charge at home before I leave, charge at the campsite while I’m there.

On longer trips, which is the exception for us, I plan around it. We charge during a lunch break, which we would have stopped for anyway. Or we do our camping groceries while the X charges, which is time saved at home. Or we camp along the way to our destination and charge up at a site while we sleep, making our travels more relaxed. And remember, these are the equivalent of our gas station stops. We don’t add many more than in an ICE vehicle.

It’s more planning for sure and not for everyone, but to us it is practical, efficient and fun. I actually enjoy the planning part and seeing how far I can stretch my range. All a matter of preferences though.

Nah, words have universal meaning to all of a particular society otherwise we wouldn't be able to effectively communicate. Practical refers to at least a plurality but more generally a majority of a set. In this case people who tow travel trailers, and most do not find what works for you practical, otherwise most would be towing with electric.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Nah, what’s practical for one subset of society may be totally impractical for another. That doesn’t invalidate the use of the word “practical”. What is practical for my grandmother in terms of a walk to the grocery store is completely different from that of a 25 year old in good health. What is practical for you in terms of a vehicle may be very different than what is practical for me. Maybe you need a large pickup. Maybe I live in a city where parking for a large pickup is all but impossible.

Quote:
Nah, words have universal meaning to all of a particular society otherwise we wouldn't be able to effectively communicate. Practical refers to at least a plurality but more generally a majority of a set. In this case people who tow travel trailers, and most do not find what works for you practical, otherwise most would be towing with electric.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #92
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Here is an update on electric medium and heavy duty trucks, currently in field tests. Freightliner is reporting 300,000 miles of testing on BEV Class 6 and Class 8 trucks.

A Freightliner EM2 could make a nice tow vehicle for a heavier Airstream. It would also make an interesting Super C, for that matter.

Freightliner is currently reporting 230 miles range for the EM2 (and it has a 26,000 lb GCWR), with 60 minutes to charge to 80%. This vehicle isn't optimized for distance, but rather for local delivery. It does show the potential, however.

We have light duty BEVs that can tow lighter trailers. We have medium and heavy duty BEVs coming that can deal with 10,000 lb trailers without issues. Now to see how long till a manufacturer fills in the space between.

Article here:
http://insideevs.com/news/437432/fre...000-miles-use/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EM2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	375057  
Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Much lighter trailers back in the day. Here is a 26' Overlander brochure. much lighter than your Bambi Check out the tongue weight!
Nice. Imagine what my range would look like.

Being in the advertising business, I also appreciate the vintage double-pager!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
I think the definition indeed needs to be universal. In this case, it means it is convenient and works for specific applications. But what is practical for one may not be for another IMO. Not everything is practical for everybody.

In my specific situation, it is practical. Not saying it would be for everyone but for me it is as I mostly make short trips where I’d argue I have fewer stops than if I had an ICE vehicle. My TV is mostly fully charged when I leave home and then fully charged when I leave the campground. No stopping needed for most weekend getaways.

We just came back from a longer trip, which is at best 2 or 3 times a year for us. Charging were lunch breaks, dinner breaks, just leg stretching or admiring some pretty amazing scenery along the St. Lawrence river or the Saguenay fjord. Teenage kids enjoyed the breaks to watch Netflix or play games built right into the Tesla main display.

Of course, if you make mostly longer trips, then you would stop more than with an ICE TV and that may not be practical for some. I fully recognize that.

Again, the biggest drawback for me right now is how big I can tow given the X max capacity. Would love a bigger trailer which the Rivian R1T or the (ugly) Cybertruck would allow me to tow. Charging is not a deal breaker right now.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #95
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Model X

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
I've done up to 500 miles in a day pulling our 24' Bowlus with our Tesla Model X. Last week did a 550 mile round trip in one day pulling another trailer.
Hi Idoco, I'm thinking about buying a Tesla X to tow my 1962 Globetrotter. It weights 2770 lb original. I want to do some interior modification and keep the weight under 3500 lb. Could you please share your trailer weight and the percentage the trailer reduce the Model X's range. Is it 50% or less? We normally take <200 mile one way trips to the beach or Shenandoah on weekends. Husband gets range anxiety. Another TV option is Toyota Highlander hybrid. Any thought is appreciated!
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
The New York Times had an interesting story this morning looking at how "green" are electric vehicles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/business/volvo-electric-cars.html?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
The New York Times had an interesting story this morning looking at how "green" are electric vehicles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/business/volvo-electric-cars.html?
The tl;dr version is "greener that ICE but not perfect". Which is a good step!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
For the millionth time, it is not about being green for most people. Everything pollutes in some way or other.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post
Hi Idoco, I'm thinking about buying a Tesla X to tow my 1962 Globetrotter. It weights 2770 lb original. I want to do some interior modification and keep the weight under 3500 lb. Could you please share your trailer weight and the percentage the trailer reduce the Model X's range. Is it 50% or less? We normally take <200 mile one way trips to the beach or Shenandoah on weekends. Husband gets range anxiety. Another TV option is Toyota Highlander hybrid. Any thought is appreciated!
Sorry reply took so long. Just seeing this message.

Our Bowlus unladen is ~2300-2500 lbs. Max weight is 3500 lbs. Just as important as weight is air resistance/aerodynamics. Because of the shape, combined with the fact that the Bowlus is narrower than the Model X, range reduction is ~33% compared to not towing.

There are many people towing Airstreams with Teslas. Reported range loss is ~50% with the Airstream. Usually single axle Bambi/Sport/Caravel etc.

Ohmman is a forum member and tows a Sport 22 with this Model X. If you search for his posts you may find more info specific to AS.

Good luck
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
This may interest:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-...a-due-mid-2021

Collyn