Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
I've done up to 500 miles in a day pulling our 24' Bowlus with our Tesla Model X. Last week did a 550 mile round trip in one day pulling another trailer.
Now, I am starting to get interested. I have always said I needed to be able to go 500 miles in a day to even consider an EV.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
idoco, you may be on the track to move this to concept to the next step and also generating lots of Bowlus interest too.

Do you have any pics of your setup? I would expect the Bowlus to pull like a bag of feathers

I assume that you stopped at a supercharger to top up mid trip? That would be similar to stopping for lunch if running an ICE?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
I've done up to 500 miles in a day pulling our 24' Bowlus with our Tesla Model X. Last week did a 550 mile round trip in one day pulling another trailer.
Since this is an airstream forum, I'll use a 23 Airstream as an example and 100 KWHr battery as the current practical max. At 65 mph using typical rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag I get about 85 Hp or 64KW. That has us stopping for a 40-60 minute charge roughly every hour. So a 500 mile trip would have us doing 7 charge stops and would take almost 15 hours.

I try to limit total travel time to 6-7 hours which drops the travel distance to 200-250 miles. Electric cars have a ways to go before towing an Airstream is practical
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thanks. How many times did you stop to recharge on each trip, and what was the down-time for charging?

Also, I think someone [ohmman?] posted recently that a new improved Model X was coming out with a better battery. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
. . .
. . . At 65 mph . . .
. . .
If you dropped this to 55 MPH, wouldn't the efficiency go way up, in more than a linear fashion?

Yes, there are plenty of other considerations TBD with going just 55 . . . but not looking to debate them.

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Sure, at 55 mph hp would drop to about 60 and would extend driving time between recharges to 1:15 so 250-300 miles becomes more possible. But I would not drive so slowly, you're liable eventually to have a Mustang hit you in the backside.

The 100KWHr is the new battery
Old 07-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Brian,
Old 07-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Google tin poodle for the fascinating account of towing with aTesla. Lots of pictures. The Bowlus trailer weighs around 2400 pounds and is likely more aerodynamic than an Airstream. The trip included 3 poodles, apparently because towing with electric was not enough of a challenge.
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #69
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Model X on a 600 mile trip, towing 5000 lbs, not an Airstream.

https://insideevs.com/news/435455/vi...-lb-600-miles/

They averaged 55 mph, over the trip, so obviously faster than that on the highway.

Supercharger recharge time was a half hour, depending on the power available.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Sure, at 55 mph hp would drop to about 60 and would extend driving time between recharges to 1:15 so 250-300 miles becomes more possible. But I would not drive so slowly, you're liable eventually to have a Mustang hit you in the backside.

The 100KWHr is the new battery
Technically speaking, the 100KWHr battery is the largest but not the newest. Tesla has more recent battery pack configurations in the 3 and Y. I believe these would bring even higher KWHr if brought to the larger platform of the S/X. Just a matter of time.

My X is a 2017 model. The more current version has the same battery back but different motors and suspension. Just that gave it over 20% more range.

Tesla will keep pushing the range up. CYBRTRK will be in the 500 miles.

Would love more range and am eying both Rivian and the CYBRTRK (if I can convince my family—and myself if I’m honest—that it’s not ugly) but for now, I’m willing to deal with the limitations or adapt my plans to continue towing my AS with my X.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #71
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
What I would like to see is Airstream offer a new generation of trailers better suited for current and future EVs, short of the Cybertruck. Close to the Sport 22 in size, but narrower to reduce drag. Much lighter weight. Close to the earlier Bowlus before the pricing went stratospheric.

The larger Airstreams are edging towards park models. I want a travel trailer, not a staying trailer, and one that doesn’t need a truck to tow it. Something to match up to a Model Y.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Perhaps Thor and Elon can strategize on a truck and trailer combo that match. An aluminum/rivet cladded cyber truck with rounded corners or a stainless steel Airstream with square corners (cant forget the bullet proof glass as well)

The trailer would carry extra range batteries and like jcl suggested a trailer axle propulsion system like an e-assist. This would allow you to keep most of the electric range even when towing.

Add a 3kW solar skin to the rig and you have some extra juice to run your string lights when you get there!

Old 07-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #73
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Now that's an interesting concept. Probably need a different hitch as well!

E-assist for a trailer
Here is a concept version, with the added benefit of a maneuvering mode to park it when it is unhitched. And if it is plugged in at home, it can serve as a backup battery for your home solar.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/30/...per-ev-towing/
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Here is a concept version, with the added benefit of a maneuvering mode to park it when it is unhitched. And if it is plugged in at home, it can serve as a backup battery for your home solar.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/30/...per-ev-towing/
That is amazing, I went to their website and saw my BMW i3 on one of their pages It made me laugh. Mine little car goes about 120 kms per charge and has a little generator to extend that if needed. Theoretically, I could drive from the Pacific to the Atlantic and just keep topping up my little tank. Not really efficient but it keeps the little car going. There is a network of chargers along the TransCanada that could offer a quick charge but I think by the time I crossed Canada, the batteries would be cooked with over 50 quick charges!

I like the idea of this trailer. It is pretty forward thinking and if it came to market, I think it would stay over in Europe. We would need something bigger over here but the concept is really smart!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #75
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
....I like the idea of this trailer. It is pretty forward thinking and if it came to market, I think it would stay over in Europe. We would need something bigger over here but the concept is really smart!
Airstream was reported to be investigating something similar. The difference is that Airstream was talking about a new communication standard between the tow vehicle and the trailer. I think they are over complicating it. The link above relies on the hitch sensing load. A brake signal would be sufficient. That approach would be much faster to market.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...-future-plans/

There weren’t many comments back in February.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...st-205302.html
Old 07-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Electric Tow Vehicles

Boy, that’s a familiar looking flying pig...oh, wait, that’s the one in my office!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Boy, that’s a familiar looking flying pig...oh, wait, that’s the one in my office!!!
. . . and to boot . . . Airstream is going to bring this concept to the market . . . ?

Yeah . . . when . . .

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...ml#post2330528

Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
yeah practical electric towing is a ways off, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I never say never — in just the time I’ve been Airstreaming (16 years) we’ve gone from lead acid, 2 way fridges, propane furnaces to Lithium Ion batteries, Danfoss 12vdc Reefers and floor heating/on demand hot water.

Digital TV, self-pointing satellite antennas, cell phones that know where you are within a meter...

Technology is accelerating — we may get a pure electric tow vehicle sooner rather than later.

Hope to be here to see it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #80
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I think the Cybertruck will tow fine. As will the Tesla Semi. Closer than you think.

But I don’t want either of those. I want a trailer suited to a model Y.