Old 06-14-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Early experience with new 2020 Ford F-250 King Ranch Diesel...

I thought Iíd share some initial impressions and thoughts regarding our tow vehicle early in our ownership experience. We just returned from our first real trip towing our new 25' Flying Cloud FBT with our 2020 F-250 6.7 liter diesel King Ranch Shortbed SuperCrew. We had accumulated 2500 miles, so she was ready to take on the task. 350 mile round trip, almost all interstate. Equal-i-zer hitch...very easy to hitch/unhitch.

Some observations:

1. Pulled the Airstream like it wasn't there. Effortless. Will actually move the trailer slowly forward and backward at idle. Used adaptive cruise control as per Ford manual and maintained mostly 60-65 mph. 10 speed transmission makes things very smooth.

2. Extremely comfortable ride. We could easily do multiple 5-6 hour days for long trips. The amenities in the King Ranch are really nice. Very quiet.

3. No worrisome sway. Heavy truck traffic all the way and no significant buffeting, even when they were going by us at over 75 mph. ANY noticeable effect was from flat-nosed type trucks. Probably worth a little extra caution around those.

4. Averaged 16.5 mpg. I was shocked. I think that's fantastic.

5. Trailer hitch camera and assistance package is very useful, especially when hitching up solo. Zeroed in on the ball first approach every time without help. Wife only spotted for potential disasters.

6. Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist is nothing short of amazing. Easily set up and calibrated in 20-30 minutes. It just works. Makes you look like a pro. I am "ok" at doing it manually, but the system makes it a breeze. You still need a good spotter and I still believe one should know how to backup without it if there's a failure, but this is a great help.

7. We ordered our truck with the optional Trailer TPMS. Installed wiring harness/sensor on Airstream myself in 45 minutes. Had local tire shop install senders. Calibrated first time and works perfectly, providing trailer tire pressures and low pressure alarm in dash info center.

8. The Airstream-provided rear view cam on the trailer (once correctly aimed) provides a very useful rear-view when driving down the road and when backing up. I found it very useful, along with the Ford trailering mirrors for changing lanes and just to watch "what was going on back there". Cab monitor setup in attached photo...does not distract from driving any more than a regular rear-view mirror. See photo of cab setup.

9. Backup camera is ok during the day, not so great after dark due to anemic backup lights. I installed ultra-bright LED lights under the bumper, powered by one of the upfitter switches in the ceiling of the cab. Model specific brackets bolt onto bumper mounts. Easy job (with a breaker bar). Also works really well for nighttime site evaluation and camp setup. Also for tailgaters (just kidding). See attached photo.

10. We jokingly refer to our TV as "the front half of our motorhome". It is really only used for our travels and not so much for other dirty/utilitarian purposes. I installed a "Bedrug" in the covered load bed. It treats your better belongings very nice with padding and non slip bed and still cleans out very easily. Mom likes it. Also good for tailgating. See attached photo.

11. We have a 50 lb. foxhound mix who goes everywhere with us. Donít have a picture of it in our truck, but we got her an Orvis rear seat ďhammockĒ. She already had one for a long time in my wifeís small SUV and loves it. Sheíll go sit in there if the car door is open in the garage, going nowhere. Hers is 5 years old and looks new. The XL size fits the King Ranch rear set like a glove. See stock Orvis photo.

12. On our 100 mile initial trip home from the dealer back in March, there were a number of disconcerting creaks and groans from the hitch, especially worrisome for a newbie. Reading through the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" provided by Airstream in our owner's docs, there is a recommendation for lubricating the ball and the equalizer bar "shelves" with a lubricant like white lithium grease. I'm sure the experienced know this, but for newbies like me, it works beautifully. Not a sound from the hitch on our recent trip.

All in all, I donít really have a significant complaint about the truck and we really love it. Itís nice to see a truck (or anything else for that matter) doing exactly what it was specifically designed to do and do it so well. I know itís early in its life and things may change as she ages, but right now, we give it a hearty ďthumbs upĒ and look forward to many miles of pleasurable Airstreaminí.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3931.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	370280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4072.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	370281  

Name:	IMG_4132.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	370282   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ECP5FDkha_lg.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	370283  

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	370284  

Old 06-14-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
That's a beautiful truck and great write up about it. Thanks for posting and and sharing your experience!

And 16.5 mpg! That's great. What was your mph?

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
That's a beautiful truck and great write up about it. Thanks for posting and and sharing your experience!

And 16.5 mpg! That's great. What was your mph?
60-65 mph. In all fairness, pretty flat drive through Piedmont NC. Can't wait to get it out on the long haul.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Fantastic setup. You will continue to be pleased and impressed with your Ford. We tow with a 2018 and I love it just as much today as the day I bought it.
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

2018 25' International
Gig Harbor , Washington
I have same set up but

I have a 2019 king ranch towing a 25 ft airstream..in short I am having a tough time setting up the back up assist sticker, where did you place ? I would appreciate a photo if you can.. I am a solo so any extra help would be great. Tank you deb
dmegig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
I thought Iíd share some initial impressions and thoughts regarding our tow vehicle early in our ownership experience. We just returned from our first real trip towing our new 25' Flying Cloud FBT with our 2020 F-250 6.7 liter diesel King Ranch Shortbed SuperCrew. We had accumulated 2500 miles, so she was ready to take on the task. 350 mile round trip, almost all interstate. Equal-i-zer hitch...very easy to hitch/unhitch.

Some observations:

1. Pulled the Airstream like it wasn't there. Effortless. Will actually move the trailer slowly forward and backward at idle. Used adaptive cruise control as per Ford manual and maintained mostly 60-65 mph. 10 speed transmission makes things very smooth.

2. Extremely comfortable ride. We could easily do multiple 5-6 hour days for long trips. The amenities in the King Ranch are really nice. Very quiet.

3. No worrisome sway. Heavy truck traffic all the way and no significant buffeting, even when they were going by us at over 75 mph. ANY noticeable effect was from flat-nosed type trucks. Probably worth a little extra caution around those.

4. Averaged 16.5 mpg. I was shocked. I think that's fantastic.

5. Trailer hitch camera and assistance package is very useful, especially when hitching up solo. Zeroed in on the ball first approach every time without help. Wife only spotted for potential disasters.

6. Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist is nothing short of amazing. Easily set up and calibrated in 20-30 minutes. It just works. Makes you look like a pro. I am "ok" at doing it manually, but the system makes it a breeze. You still need a good spotter and I still believe one should know how to backup without it if there's a failure, but this is a great help.

7. We ordered our truck with the optional Trailer TPMS. Installed wiring harness/sensor on Airstream myself in 45 minutes. Had local tire shop install senders. Calibrated first time and works perfectly, providing trailer tire pressures and low pressure alarm in dash info center.

8. The Airstream-provided rear view cam on the trailer (once correctly aimed) provides a very useful rear-view when driving down the road and when backing up. I found it very useful, along with the Ford trailering mirrors for changing lanes and just to watch "what was going on back there". Cab monitor setup in attached photo...does not distract from driving any more than a regular rear-view mirror. See photo of cab setup.

9. Backup camera is ok during the day, not so great after dark due to anemic backup lights. I installed ultra-bright LED lights under the bumper, powered by one of the upfitter switches in the ceiling of the cab. Model specific brackets bolt onto bumper mounts. Easy job (with a breaker bar). Also works really well for nighttime site evaluation and camp setup. Also for tailgaters (just kidding). See attached photo.

10. We jokingly refer to our TV as "the front half of our motorhome". It is really only used for our travels and not so much for other dirty/utilitarian purposes. I installed a "Bedrug" in the covered load bed. It treats your better belongings very nice with padding and non slip bed and still cleans out very easily. Mom likes it. Also good for tailgating. See attached photo.

11. We have a 50 lb. foxhound mix who goes everywhere with us. Donít have a picture of it in our truck, but we got her an Orvis rear seat ďhammockĒ. She already had one for a long time in my wifeís small SUV and loves it. Sheíll go sit in there if the car door is open in the garage, going nowhere. Hers is 5 years old and looks new. The XL size fits the King Ranch rear set like a glove. See stock Orvis photo.

12. On our 100 mile initial trip home from the dealer back in March, there were a number of disconcerting creaks and groans from the hitch, especially worrisome for a newbie. Reading through the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" provided by Airstream in our owner's docs, there is a recommendation for lubricating the ball and the equalizer bar "shelves" with a lubricant like white lithium grease. I'm sure the experienced know this, but for newbies like me, it works beautifully. Not a sound from the hitch on our recent trip.

All in all, I donít really have a significant complaint about the truck and we really love it. Itís nice to see a truck (or anything else for that matter) doing exactly what it was specifically designed to do and do it so well. I know itís early in its life and things may change as she ages, but right now, we give it a hearty ďthumbs upĒ and look forward to many miles of pleasurable Airstreaminí.

2020 F250 King Ranch Diesel...Oh, Iíd say it does everything wonderful. Congratulations on being rich
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
16.5 mpg is impressive. My 2010 F250 diesel does not perform that well.

2017 25' Safari FB
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
could you post a scan of the window sticker. I'm interested in the rear gear ration and how your's came from the factory.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Wait till you get to 50,000 miles. The diesel breaks in and your MPH will go up!

I started at getting 17.5 mpg (not pulling the trailer) 11 mpg pulling my Classic 30. Now I'm getting 21.5 mpg and 14.5 pulling the trailer. It all changed at 50,000 miles.
turk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Great story of right tool for the job. We are at KOA in Ouray with a lot of 5th wheelers around us. Many TVís are super duty diesels. They have an easy task getting over the 10,000í passes and glad to share their stories with this non-diesel TV owner!

We have a lot of passionate discussions on these Forums about towing ASís, including fear of death wobbles on Ford Super Duties. In a previous post I shared Fordís TSP to solve this problem. One question that is frequently avoided is payload capacity. What is your payload capacity on your new truck. My friendís 2018 F250 KR with Diesel is 1,950 lbs. My Ď19 gas F250 Lariat is 3,500+.

Just curious, MPG is so irrelevant when towing, but glad you are happy with 14+ MPG why discuss it? Your $10,000+ premium for the Powerstroke will take a lot of years and miles to cover that extra cost + higher maintenance fees over my standard (no extra cost) 6.2L F250 with 10-11 MPG towing.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #11

2008 23' Safari SE
DENVER , Colorado
We are thinking of purchasing the F-250 for our 25 International. Your write up was very helpful and appreciated!
sooners95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Black Labs Matter.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #13
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I love these folks that imply what idiots we are for buying diesel. They will be on their third truck and I will still be driving my diesel.

You sound like you made a good decision and are happy with it. Congratulations! Enjoy your travels.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Black Labs Matter.
Love it! Love it! Keep the puns coming! I laughed out loud.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Photobum, Post #13. I have 130,000 miles on my GMC HD Duramax. I would like to get a new truck, but I can't wear this one out. Besides, I just got all the options installed that I want on it. Well almost.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Great story of right tool for the job. We are at KOA in Ouray with a lot of 5th wheelers around us. Many TVís are super duty diesels. They have an easy task getting over the 10,000í passes and glad to share their stories with this non-diesel TV owner!

We have a lot of passionate discussions on these Forums about towing ASís, including fear of death wobbles on Ford Super Duties. In a previous post I shared Fordís TSP to solve this problem. One question that is frequently avoided is payload capacity. What is your payload capacity on your new truck. My friendís 2018 F250 KR with Diesel is 1,950 lbs. My Ď19 gas F250 Lariat is 3,500+.

Just curious, MPG is so irrelevant when towing, but glad you are happy with 14+ MPG why discuss it? Your $10,000+ premium for the Powerstroke will take a lot of years and miles to cover that extra cost + higher maintenance fees over my standard (no extra cost) 6.2L F250 with 10-11 MPG towing.
I didnít buy my diesel because I thought it was more economical. I bought it because itís a towing BEAST. As for the payload penalty, we went with the F-350 (at a very small price premium). Best of both worlds: 935 ft-lbs of torque, 3400 (approx) payload capacity. The OP has 1000 ft-lbs of torque. Thatíll get you moviní 😀
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

My ole '96 F250 diesel was bought new off the dealer's lot in 1996 and is still going strong. It is dedicated to towing a travel trailer plus a few extraneous hauling duties. It can still achieve 16mpg with the 27-foot Airstream. What's not to like?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Pearland , TX
Please do post info and pics on backup assist. I’ve a similarly equipped F250 and wouldn’t mind trying my backup assist.
SereneStream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneStream View Post
Please do post info and pics on backup assist. Iíve a similarly equipped F250 and wouldnít mind trying my backup assist.
Not the OP but on my 2019 F150 towing a 2018 FC25 I found the backup assist worked better with the sticker mounted on a 2x1 aluminum tube mounted under the propane tank. The tongue is a little short by Ford's estimation, it would really like the sticker under the propane tank. By offsetting it everything is happy. You may also find with very specific sun positions the shiny propane tank cover blinds the camera. On those rare occasions I've either covered it or removed it. Doesn't happen often.

Backup experts may scoff but I LOVE the backup assist.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	370367  
daleyocum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Could you post a link to your after-market back-up lights? Thx.

djbar is offline   Reply With Quote