Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Talking Duramax=Trouble ????

Nice rig.

Just thought I'd jump in here on the Duramax comment. Been on thedieselplace.com site and it appears that the new LLY diesels are having some issues. Not sure the Duramax is quite the beast we all think it is. MPG is similar to what the 6.0L will get towing right now (10-12mpg). Power is better with the Duramax though. Word on the street is that the H1 will be getting the Duramax for 2005.

On a side note, the 4L60e trans is a great little trans, however towing over 5000lbs over time can really cook it out before it's time (I have one). THe 4L80e is more robust, and that is what I thought they were putting in the H2s, but if you say otherwise, I am shocked.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Nice rig.

Just thought I'd jump in here on the Duramax comment. Been on thedieselplace.com site and it appears that the new LLY diesels are having some issues. Not sure the Duramax is quite the beast we all think it is. MPG is similar to what the 6.0L will get towing right now (10-12mpg).
I have the new LLY 2500HD 4X4 crew cab. I'm getting 14 mpg towing backroads here in the hilly Ozarks. It appears I get closer to 15 on Interstates.

When not towing it gets over 20 mpg (highway) now that the engine has a few miles on it.

Note - any mpg figures for a diesel have to be checked multiple times. The fuel foams so that it is difficult to get an accurate reading on any one tank.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I found it hard to believe that the Duramax folks were claiming those numbers. One or two, you kind of write it off as as right foot issue. But when more and more are saying the same thing, it's nice to hear an LLY that is doin it right.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you see any heat issues with the A/C running towing in the hills? Also how cool does your A/C stay when it's really hot out (towing or not). Those were the other two issues that were most commonly found on the LLYs on the forums.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 08-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Thumbs up You Betcha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Note - any mpg figures for a diesel have to be checked multiple times. The fuel foams so that it is difficult to get an accurate reading on any one tank.
So true.......

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Eric, I've been reading those threads for more than three years now, and there is nothing there that would indicated any more problems now with the LLY than in the past with the LL7. Probably less, actually. In fact, it is amazing to me how many posts there are to the effect that "everything's fine." People generally don't take the trouble to post their lack of problems! There does seem to be an ongoing problem with injectors that is cropping up from time to time with all the diesels since they have gone to common rail systems. My seat-of-the-pants feeling is that Ford has had the most problems there.

Gas milage is very dependent upon speed. I would not be surprised if I could get 21 mpg at a steady 60 mph. The compter clearly shows milage dropping off at 65 mph, and the bottom drops out over 75 mph.

In answer to your question, I've had no heat issues either with coolant or transmission fluids, towing or not. Of course, my 25' Sovereign is only about 5,500 lbs, loaded for travel. The a/c is excellent and much appreciated here in south Missouri.

I put on a lot of miles, 3,000 to 4,000 per month. I am VERY hard to please, and this truck has done everything I want and more. I run it box stock - no chips, extra filters, larger tires, nothing.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mark...much apprc. That is the info that I really wanted to hear. I am wondering what will be new in the 2005s. I read the GM info and it sounded to me as if GM was making a few internal changes in the cooling department. I also caught the pics of the new 2500/3500HDs. I like the styling on the 05's better, then again, I'm not sure the cost difference (due to a possible lack of rebate in the future) might justify buying an '05.

At any rate, thanks. The info you posted really put some doubts I had to rest.

Eric
Old 08-02-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No problems here

I have the older engine, but there have been no problems in about 8500 miles of towing (12,000 miles total).

The AC can get uncomfortably cold on my hands and keeps the cab quite comfortable, aklthough it seems to take a while to get cold. My wife tends to add a little heat on her side with the dual heater controls while I am quite comfortable.

The transmission temp never rises in the uphill and downhill terrain of the Texas Hill Country pulling the Classic at close to 7000#.

The temperature gage never budges either. The fan does howl after stopping at traffic lights when towing for the first couple of hundred yards, then stops. It never comes on otherwise, although I have not driven in really heavy stop and go traffic this summer.

I still average about 15 mpg towing the Classic at 65. When leading a caravan at a steady 60 over gently rolling terrain with a few towns, I got 15.8 mpg over about 240 miles.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Eric,
I am "on the fence" so to speak over an 04 lly as well. The GM loyalty rebate is tempting (expires today), and there's one at a local dealer. I have been equally concerned about what I read on the other site, although it's probably nothing out of the ordinary. The injector thing is my biggest issue. I have had no major issues with my 2000 gas silverado, so I am very hesitant to trade a good truck in...although it cant handle the trailers that I would like it to pull. luke

John,
It's reassuring to hear from satisfied owners!
luke warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Luke. Saw you on the other forum. What Airstream do you have?

I'm gonna pass on the 04 I think and go straight with an '05. The rumor mill has that the dual alts will come back and the possible addition of a sunroof. I feel that any future rebate that are out there when the time comes might not be as good as they are on the '04s, but call me shallow, but I need to have something I like to look at. The '05s look tough and I can get the options I want along with color. Also there is a strong rumor (from 2 seperate dealers) that the rebates are going to be extended. Keep in mind that the extention is only a rumor.

Thanks for all the input (again) folks.

Eric
Old 08-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have 2002 Duramax/Allison. It is a beast pulling my 31' Excella weighing about 7000#.
I have to set the cruise or I will look down and be up to 75 or 80...with the trailer in tow! The truck doesn't know it is back there.
I get 20 mpg solo, and 11 to 12 mpg towing at 65 to 70 mph.
Very satisfied. No way will I go back to a gasser. Diesel has a higher cost initially at purchase, but it is well worth it in performance, less expensive fuel, and better fuel mileage.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Eric,
I don't have a trailer yet either. Last year,wife and I were smitten by a 28 so safari, but it was too much for my truck so we decided to wait. We go back and forth on sizes and models so I guess I'm a fence sitter here as well. Recently, I find myself more interested in the 05 31 classic (here in nj at colonial). With an active 2 year old, interior space and the separate bedroom and closet are appealing...but dmax + trailer = $, and I guess I'm not too quick to part with it. I hope you are right about 05 rebates. Luke
Old 08-02-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

dsc,
Glad you like the truck, that's a hard handle to pronounce, or is it an acronym?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
luke warm, it is my initials (DS) + the acronym of my professional credietials (CLU, ChFC)....those are insurance and financial consultant designations.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I have the LL7 with about 66,000 miles on it. No problems thus far. I run it bone stock and have the stock sized tires on mine. I got something in the mail from GM mentioning that the injectors were under warranty until 2008...mine is a 2001 or 200,000 miles. I pull a 31' excella 500 and average about 14.50 in the summer running the a/c and a little better in the fall not running a/c. I keep cruise on 60- 65. If I don't set the cruise, the thing just keeps pulling and before you know it you are doing 75 or 80. I will have had my truck 3 years this October and have been completely satisfied. I will never go back to a gasser. I love the power and the fuel mileage, the sound, everything about it...especially the tranny! If you are pondering a 2500 gasser....i would reconsider and get the diesel. It is more $ up front, but the maintenance, fuel mileage, cheaper fuel and resale value will come back to you in the end. Just my $.02.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Diesel, my sentiments exactly.
No more gasser here for towing. My wife is driving the Yukon gasser now, and is seriously mentioning she likes the power and acceleration of the diesel much better. I may have to buy a second Duramax diesel to keep her from wanting to drive mine!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Never a gasser again

I've had my 2002 Duramax 1 ton for about a month and a half now, and love it. Pulls the 34' Limited with considerable ease, and I LOVE the Tow/Haul mode. Traded in a Cherokee and a Nissan Altima on the Duramax and a brand new Jetta TDI for the fiancee, shortly before I bought my Limited. Both vehicles are a blast to drive - I expect to have both of them for many many years. After which I'll go back and buy two more!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax that I purchased new at the end of 2001. As I have it equipped and full of fuel, it weighs in at 9000 pounds. Pulling my 30 foot Excella 1000 with a combined weight of 17,500 pounds I get between 16 and 16.5 mpg. I have about 40,000 mile on the truck.

I live in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon east of the Cascade Mountains. Temperatures are hot here in the summer usually between 90 and 100 degees. Everywhere I take the trailer is uphill from here, generally 5000 to 7000 feet.

I would suggest that those with a Duramax or any new diesel get supplemental fuel filtration. Dirty fuel causes most injector failures and current OEM fuel filtration is inadequate to do the job.

In addition to the great fuel milage I am getting, there is an added bonus with the Duramax, the Allison transmission with its Tow/Haul Mode. My annual Airstream bearing and brake maintenance routines have been very revealing. The grease and bearings look like they have hardly been used and the brakes look as they did the previous year. The 7 to 10 degree hills encountered do not take their normal toll on the Airstream's running gear with the Tow/Haul Mode engaged. Testing the hubs after a long down hill run reveals no heat build up at all. Coupled with the Centramatic Balancers, I would extend my maintenance routine to every two years, but I'm too paranoid to do that.

The only modifications to the engine / drive train is added filtration for both the oil and fuel and larger pans for the transmission and rearend.

My previous Chevy 3/4 ton truck with a heavy duty 350 engine pulling this and previous Airstreams only got 9 mpg and had nowhere near the power of the Duramax. But with proper maintenance, it is still with me after 25 years.

I drove a new 2004 shortbox Dodge Diesel recently and it only got between 14 and 15 mpg totally empty on level ground. I did not weight the Dodge. I woud be disapointed if it were my truck.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
fuel filters

Diesel, I have about 7600 miles on my 04 LB7 and I have adding a supplemental fuel filter near the top of my to do list (at the top is replacing the external Allison tranny filter per the scheduled maintenance guidelines). What do you recommend? I think John Irving once said he put on a Caterpillar pre filter.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Was talking to a salesman a couple weeks ago and he said the new duramax will have 10 more hp for 2005.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
There does seem to be an ongoing problem with injectors that is cropping up from time to time with all the diesels since they have gone to common rail systems. My seat-of-the-pants feeling is that Ford has had the most problems there.

Mark
We bought one of the last '03 Ford 7.3l psd specifically because I was wary of 'infancy' engineering problems with all of the newer EPA regulated diesels. This proven motor is doing fine: 28K mi approx. 10K towing, similar fuel mileage as posted. Added a 50 gal aux. tank & love the range.

Ford/International have had at least 2 (two) recalls on the 6.0 psd for replacement of their injectors (depending when it was bought). The International 6.0 (Ford) has had the most 'admitted' problems with the injectors on the common-rail system . Word 'on-the-street' is Ford has stopped International from further development on a 6 banger diesel for their 1/2 ton & SUV lines because of these problems.

The Duramax/Allison combo is proving itself to be 'sweet'. Haven't heard anything on the newer Cummins.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote