Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Exclamation Duramax oil change

Most GM trucks have the "oil change" reminder and with Onstar you will be alerted via email when service is due.
Syn oil (Mobil 1 Trk/SUV or Castrol) is good. For warranty purposes, it is important to use the specified weight as noted on the oil filler cap. In addition, if you have an Allison trans, the owner's manual instructs you to change the external trans filter on your first oil change. It sells for $33 at the dealer but is less expensive at Napa.

Larry
Pagosa Springs, CO
'05 Classic 25'
'05 GMC 2500 Duramax
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair
Most GM trucks have the "oil change" reminder and with Onstar you will be alerted via email when service is due.
Syn oil (Mobil 1 Trk/SUV or Castrol) is good. For warranty purposes, it is important to use the specified weight as noted on the oil filler cap. In addition, if you have an Allison trans, the owner's manual instructs you to change the external trans filter on your first oil change. It sells for $33 at the dealer but is less expensive at Napa.

Larry
Pagosa Springs, CO
'05 Classic 25'
'05 GMC 2500 Duramax
Hi Larry. just a note; Mobil1 for Truck/SUV is not rated for diesel engines.
I think the Castrol is a blend? Not pure syn?

Also first oil change is due at 5k miles, not in accordance with the DIC. Many folks even change out sooner for the first one. My last two Suburbans I changed out (to Mobil 1) at 1k miles. As the diesel is 10qt, I waited a little longer!

I ususally do my own maint, except for the initial break-in. Just gives me a better feeling to have the dealer ship look things over. Going forward I will follow the DIC. With the gas Suburbans, running Mobil1, I found I got about 7k-8k between OCI's following the DIC durring tow season. A little longer in the winter.
p.s.The dealer charged $27 for the Ally filter yesterday...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have run both Mobil 1 syn and Mobile Delvac 1300 in my Duramax and have done oil analysis with both oils. My conclusion is the 1300 dino is just as good as the syn, for all practical purposes. I run my oil about 7500 miles, so I do not see an advantage to filling the sump with $60 worth of syn oil versus $20 worth of dino in my application. Currently I have 6 qts of Mobil 1 syn and 4 qts of 1300 in there.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #24

newyork , New York
quick oil drain valve

If you change the oil yourself, using this small equipment helps saving your time a lot. I bought one at qwikvalve.com. Worth to give it a try
AKJack08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would reccomend doing your first oil change well before 5000 miles. Keeping in mind, I dont know your Vehicles MFG date but the oil is at least that old. If you vehicle is at its model year end, it is already overdue before you purchased it.

To many oil changes isnt a bad thing. I ussually dump mine when I get it home. I use Castrol GTX for the first 2. They are done within the first 1500 miles. Then I switch to Mobil 1. I do it every 5000 on synthetic, then I can rotate my tires at the same time.

I have used this system for gas / or diesel engines. Keep in mind a good oil filter is just as important. Mobil 1 also makes a good filter. I am not a big Fram person. They bypass way to early circulating dirt and other grit causing premature wear. An old name I would also reccomend is Hastings. They also make Federated brands.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
I change at 10K, with Shell Rotella SJ grade synthetic, it's what I use in my fleet diesels too. cost is reasonable, and meets all requirements. I change the fuel filter at 10 also, WIX gold filters in both applications
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well since Bill Tex kicked over the ant hill . I'll add my 2 cents.
I have used Shell Rotella 15-40 for at lease several MILLION miles, IN I care not to count how many Cummins engines over 45 yrs of ownership and driving for other people. I have never lost and engine even with a million miles on em.
In my 7.3 liter International Harvester (Ford) I still use Shell Rotella 15-40 year round. I change oil and filters every 10K miles .I am now at 75K and my engine does not require adding of oil between changes.
For Me I cannot justify the extra cost of a Synthetic Oil.
What works for me might not work for someone else. So I will continue doing what works for me.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair View Post

Larry
Pagosa Springs, CO
'05 Classic 25'
'05 GMC 2500 Duramax
Larry... You can pick up the spin on Allison transmission filter # 29539579 for approximatly $15.78 at a Allison Transmission dealer. You can get the location of your local dealer at Sales & Service Locator: Allison Transmission
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
I'm waiting until 20K to change over if at all. The diesel heads around here tell me if I have the extra money for oil then change it more oftem. Felt kind of silly when they put it like that.

If you are waiting until 20k to change your oil there may be other factors that you havent considered. You might want to send a sample of that 20k oil to Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne IN. and have them test it. They may find anything from coolant contamination to high iron content. Oil is cheap. Engines are $$. I use Delo 15/40 and change at the recommended 5k interval for my truck. Semi trucks are a different animal than our light duty trucks. Just one mans opinion.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was a big Mobil one person after I drove my Oldsmobeater for 170k on conventional oils. I made the switch because I was towing larger and larger things.

I have since switched to Amsoil. Is it worth it? I think so, even though I used conventional oils for 20 years....but I was also changing the oil every 3000 miles then too. Now between 8 to 12 months and 5000 to 7000 miles. I feel that syn fluid does withstand a bit more abuse than conventional, but as a consumer you have to make the final decision what you feel is right and a good value.

Me I have it in most my entire drivelines in each vehicle I currently own.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
It's amazing how this thread cam back to life. Looks like it started in 2006. I guess a good topic has a hard time biting the dust. Since I drive a Chevy with a Duramax engine and use synthetic oil products in it, I enjoy hearing what everyone else is doing with their trucks.
Recently, a poll was taken on a popular GM pick up truck forum and I was surprised to find out that only a small percentage of people actually use synthetic oils in their vehicles.
I'm sure there are a million opinions out there, but one thing that sold me on synthetics years ago was that I had a Ford Diesel that needed new head gaskets and I had always used Delvac 1 in it. A friend and I did the job and the engine was clean inside and had almost no signs of wear on the components. There is some truth to the hype. I don't remember the exact mileage when we did the job but it was over the 150,000 mark.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #32
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Yes, this is a resurrected old thread! Guess I’ll update everyone as to what the ants have been up to; I still run Rotella Syn in the diesel, get it wallyworld. Truck runs great. The diesel uses 10 qts, but I only need to service it 1/year so it’s no big deal. Oil/filter/fuel filter once/year, mileage is 24-25 mpg highway not towing, 15 mpg towing with kayaks up top, 18 mpg with the TC on the back, and 17 mpg around town unloaded. Ver please with the diesel, and with the syn oil; they don’t lose viscosity and they do extend maintenance intervals.

Bill
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
First, you can immediately start using Mobil1 or any synthetic in any engine regardless of breal-in schedule. I have been using Mobil1 for years in vehicles from new.

As far as diesel oil goes, I recently did some extensive research on the Mobil1 products and came up with some interesting findings. ExxonMobil has made a product called Delvac1 for many years for the large commercial diesel engines used in long haul trucking. The oil is intended for use with extended drain intervals of 50,000+ miles using oil smapling as a tool to predict change intervals. Delvac1 is considered by many to be the king of the diesel synthetics and is very expensive ($35+ per gallon). It is also very difficult to find.

In a converstaion with reps at the Mobil1 help phone desk, I was told that Delvac1 is now EXACTLY the same product that is now available at Wal-Mart known as Mobil1 Turbo Diesel. I was told that Mobil1 realized the inavailability of Delvac1 to common folks because it is distributed by the Mobil Commercial products group so they bottled the product under the better known Mobil1 line that is available everywhere and at a discount.

Read the reviews at Welcome . Also read the reviews on the Mobil1 oil filters.
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #34
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batwingz View Post
First, you can immediately start using Mobil1 or any synthetic in any engine regardless of breal-in schedule. I have been using Mobil1 for years in vehicles from new.
True, Corvettes, and some other vehicles come from factory with syn

Quote:
As far as diesel oil goes, I recently did some extensive research on the Mobil1 products and came up with some interesting findings. ExxonMobil has made a product called Delvac1 for many years for the large commercial diesel engines used in long haul trucking. The oil is intended for use with extended drain intervals of 50,000+ miles using oil smapling as a tool to predict change intervals. Delvac1 is considered by many to be the king of the diesel synthetics and is very expensive ($35+ per gallon). It is also very difficult to find.
True, I can't find it around here...
Quote:
In a converstaion with reps at the Mobil1 help phone desk, I was told that Delvac1 is now EXACTLY the same product that is now available at Wal-Mart known as Mobil1 Turbo Diesel. I was told that Mobil1 realized the inavailability of Delvac1 to common folks because it is distributed by the Mobil Commercial products group so they bottled the product under the better known Mobil1 line that is available everywhere and at a discount.
I am almost due for my annual maint, so I will check at wallys! Thanx.

Bill
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
If you are waiting until 20k to change your oil there may be other factors that you havent considered. You might want to send a sample of that 20k oil to Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne IN. and have them test it. They may find anything from coolant contamination to high iron content. Oil is cheap. Engines are $$. I use Delo 15/40 and change at the recommended 5k interval for my truck. Semi trucks are a different animal than our light duty trucks. Just one mans opinion.

Vinnie
Did the change to Amsoil at 20k, changed the oil at 5k and 10k. Last change I used the dealer stuff. MPH went down right away. Due to change again for the season and will use the amsoil again.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
To add another controversial topic to the thread, many of you have mentioned that their is little advantage to switching to synthetic in lieu of dino oil if you have an established change interval. I agree. Many of the old reliable diesel oils (Delo, Delvac and Rotella) have long successful track records.

The new issue is the change to CJ-4 of ALL the oils both synthetic and dino. Exhaust scrubbers require the reduction of critical components in the oil formulations, specifically zinc. So it remains to be seen how this across the board change effects the long term performance of any diesel engines.

Bottom line, if you change reguarily and use a diesel oil, you should not have issues. I use Delvac1 in my Cummins (17 quarts) and change oil and filters once a year. The limited mileage we put on the MH does not warrant more frequent intervals but I have the comfort of knowing the synthetic is there if the engine gets hot.
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote