Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Done - Aux Gas Tank for More Range

Finally done. This is a project and modification I have been looking forward to for awhile. I've really enjoyed just about everything with my tow vehicle except for one thing - towing fuel range. Fixed that recently with the install of an auxillary gas tank.

My vehicle is a Lexus Land Cruiser 200-series, also known as a Lexus LX 570. Stock fuel tank is a 24.6 gallon. Which combined with some modifications of larger AT tires, taller profile, and towing my AS Ocean Breeze 27FB, results in a tow range of ~230 miles @ ~11mpg. While still keeping a safe margin of fuel.

Just successfully added an 12.5 gallon auxillary gas tank, for a total of 37.1 gallons onboard. What a game changer. With ~365 miles range, no long do I feel constantly tethered to the gas pump.

I realize that many models won't have such options even in the aftermarket. Fortunately in Australia, the Land Cruiser is the go to Outback overlanding and caravan towing vehicle. So they've developed solutions for various size aux tanks including a 14, 28, and 40 gallon tanks that have been recently imported to the US. Lucky me.

There are several other off-road oriented SUV and trucks that have tanks available including Jeep, Land Rover, Toyota models. Might be other companies that cater to your model so perhaps worth some exploration.
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/bran...ge-automotive/

Just a couple shots of the install which was rather involved. I wanted to keep my full size spare tire mounted, which allowed me only the choice of the smaller sub-tank. It fits in the tight void within the frame, between the body and spare tire. Larger tanks would require the addition of a rear tailgate swing-out to relocate the spare tire.

Subtank
Click image for larger version

Name:	LXlraA.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	331732

Replacement dual filler neck

Name:	LXlraB.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	331733

Aux tank gauge and transfer pump controller just peaking out behind the steering wheel.

Name:	LXlraC.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	331734

Name:	LXas1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	331735
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Nice upgrade.

My TV has a 22.5 gallon fuel tank so I added a manual 10 gallon upgrade with two NATO fuel cans. I only had to use them once on this past summer's west coast trip.

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	331752
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Nice upgrade.

My TV has a 22.5 gallon fuel tank so I added a manual 10 gallon upgrade with two NATO fuel cans. I only had to use them once on this past summer's west coast trip.

Attachment 331752
Nice rig. I used to live about 150 km from that lake :-) Now I live on the other side of the country :-(
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote